ADVERTISEMENT

Former Site of UR Graduation

spider fan

Spider's Club
Dec 4, 2003
For a number of years Richmond held graduation at the building known as The Mosque. It was where I received my degree. No one then would have imagined the downhill spiral that resulted in a shooting at a high school graduation at that same location yesterday.

I saw a shooting there on my last visit, just before the pandemic.

Of course, it was in a duel...
on stage...during Hamilton...

On a more serious note, I heard from my parents that Monroe Park after dark could be dangerous from the late 50s to early 70s.

But not The Mosque in broad daylight...

I saw Bruce Springsteen and Goose Creek Symphony there in the spring of 1974. Pretty odd pairing.

And I think I saw the Richmond Symphony there as a requirement for a music appreciation class that same year.

Great venue with some notable shows over the years. From Wikipedia:

The theater was designed in Moorish Revival style by Marcellus E. Wright Sr. in association with Charles M. Robinson and Charles Custer Robinson circa 1925. .................The building officially opened in 1927, and was dedicated by the Shriners in 1928.[8][9]

Performers such as Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Burr, Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra, Roy Buchanan, B B King, Widespread Panic and The Supremes held shows at this venue. Notable Broadway performances such as Wicked, The Lion King, Les Miserables, and Cats have also been past visitors.

My 72 John Marshall HS graduation was held there. The acoustics were superb and thus great for concerts, just not a ton of seats

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT