ADVERTISEMENT

First NET Rankings-#22

First 4 out on NBCSPORTS CollegeBasketballTalk: Bracketology: The top seeds remain in place
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/01/24/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-projection/
What a load of crop. "On a closing note … remember that the Selection Committee evaluates a team’s entire profile, from beginning to end. How a team performed in its last ten games is no longer an official criteria (although each Committee member may have his or her own perspective on its importance). So while Ohio State and Michigan, as examples, have both struggled of late, each team’s early wins remain relevant considerations with regard to team sheet evaluation."

It is now clear, I hope, that we have zero shot at winning the conference tournament. It's all down to an at large bid. Unfortunately our resume is not going to hold up when we have really only one good win on our resume. It we have to rely on URI or VCU as our second best win, we have zero shot. Especially getting blown out by 20 on our home court and losing to Radford.

It is now clear, I hope, that we have zero shot at winning the conference tournament. It's all down to an at large bid. Unfortunately our resume is not going to hold up when we have really only one good win on our resume. It we have to rely on URI or VCU as our second best win, we have zero shot. Especially getting blown out by 20 on our home court and losing to Radford.
Hey! Radford beat Hampton today. By 4. At Home.

We good.

Reactions: whampas
Charleston lost at home to awful uncw.

Need to sweep vcu. We do that we’re ok. I’m glad we get them right away actually. But w Mooney 6-18 record gotta feel great right. No excuses just like tonight. U owe us Mooney time to stick that garbage 6-18 record where it belongs.

Reactions: spider23
Charleston lost at home to awful uncw.

Need to sweep vcu. We do that we’re ok. I’m glad we get them right away actually. But w Mooney 6-18 record gotta feel great right. No excuses just like tonight. U owe us Mooney time to stick that garbage 6-18 record where it belongs.
Playing devil’s avocate, If @ Duquesne is a Q2, And @ SBU is a Q3, then we may need to at least split with the sheep. If not, even an A-10 final loss may mean first 4 out at 26-8.

It's important to finish second or third this year. If we get to the A-10 semis, this would give us a good chance at another quality win. I think as long as we can keep our losses in single digits, a split with VCU, a win at Duquesne, and a quality A-10 tourney win could still be enough to dance. A lot of ball left, and hard to know, but finishing 2nd or 3rd in the A-10 this year with an appearance in the conference finals, combined with single digit losses and about 25 wins sure would look pretty good come selection time.

I do not want any part of Dayton until the finals. Wow, Dayton is really really good. They have a really good coach, a superstar top 5 NBA guy, and a lot of talent around him.

Duquesne just lost to UMass. Pretty soon they will be in the bottom half of the league standings and won't be a quad 2 opportunity.

It's important to finish second or third this year. If we get to the A-10 semis, this would give us a good chance at another quality win. I think as long as we can keep our losses in single digits, a split with VCU, a win at Duquesne, and a quality A-10 tourney win could still be enough to dance. A lot of ball left, and hard to know, but finishing 2nd or 3rd in the A-10 this year with an appearance in the conference finals, combined with single digit losses and about 25 wins sure would look pretty good come selection time.

I do not want any part of Dayton until the finals. Wow, Dayton is really really good. They have a really good coach, a superstar top 5 NBA guy, and a lot of talent around him.

Given our stellar track record of advancing deep in the A10 tourney, this should be a piece of cake!

Reactions: Eight Legger
We are a better team than VCU. I don't really think this is much of a question. We should be able to go down there and win Tuesday. Their best player is a freshman and other than Santos-Silva, the rest of their guys are mostly unpredictable and inconsistent, and none of the others can shoot the three much. Unless a team can destroy us on the boards or we have a horrific shooting night from outside, I like our odds to win. That's why I like our odds to beat VCU.

Last edited:
Is the new NET always late on Sunday? Seems about 8am the rest of the week...

Good news is that there are at least five or six teams ahead of us that would not make the tournament today if the season were over. Teams whose resumes are worse than ours, but who somehow have better NET scores. So that reduces the number of teams ahead of us we are competing with for a bid.

Good news is that there are at least five or six teams ahead of us that would not make the tournament today if the season were over. Teams whose resumes are worse than ours, but who somehow have better NET scores. So that reduces the number of teams ahead of us we are competing with for a bid.
Opponents NET are more important than our own. Good news is it looks like a lot of bubble teams lost yesterday.

We are a better team than VCU. I don't really think this is much of a question. We should be able to go down there and win Tuesday. Their best player is a freshman and other than Santos-Silva, the rest of their guys are mostly unpredictable and inconsistent, and none of the others can shoot the three much. Unless a team can destroy us on the boards or we have a horrific shooting night from outside, I like our odds to win. That's why I like our odds to beat VCU.
Plus, we have a great track record at VCU.

Opponents NET are more important than our own. Good news is it looks like a lot of bubble teams lost yesterday.

Yep. Nice to see VT and NC St going down. BC beats UVA and VT, and loses to us by 20. That is why I still think BC could be an attention type win with the committee no matter where their NET ends up, especially if they get another good ACC win this year.

Reactions: Gallipoli
We dropped one spot. Dayton remained at #5.
VCU climbed 3 and Rhody climbed 4.
UMass passed GMU and La Salle. Other than that, the A10 order remained the same.
Duquesne fell well out of Quad 1 range.

Radford dropped 8 spots - with a win. So much for "Top 100 finish by winning lots of Big South games."

More NET observations:

Our one spot drop is due to:
Tennessee and Georgetown surpassed us.
Liberty fell 22 spots after a loss to Stetson.

Even after yesterday's win, BC remains the worst-rated team in the ACC, by a WIDE margin. They did manage to just barely crawl out of Quad 4 into Quad 3...however.....
Vanderbilt remains the worst-rated team in the SEC, and has now fallen into Quad 4 on our team sheet.

We dropped one spot. Dayton remained at #5.
VCU climbed 3 and Rhody climbed 4.
UMass passed GMU and La Salle. Other than that, the A10 order remained the same.
Duquesne fell well out of Quad 1 range.

Radford dropped 8 spots - with a win. So much for "Top 100 finish by winning lots of Big South games."
The Stat guy who said 15-3 would get Radford #99 now says 15-3 gets #132...

We swapped spots with Tennessee after yesterday's games, moving up 1 spot to #54. Potential to move up several spots with a road quad 1 win tonight.

Not only will I look at NET after tonight, I'll look at NET after tomorrow night.
Bama @ LSU

We dropped 4 spots in today's NET, to #58. VCU moved up 6 to #33.
Cincinnati, Arizona St., Virginia, and Utah St. moved ahead of us.
I was surprised UVA didn't move up more; that was a big win last night.

This was all part of our plan to set VCU up as a Q1 win when they come to the Robins Center.
But when we beat them, that will knock them out of Quad 1.

source.gif

Our NET drops one spot. Passed by DePaul - who lost - and idle NC State.
ETSU drops a bunch after losing to Mercer. I think that helps - the entire SoCon is now below us in the rankings, so no likely bid thief.

Last edited:
Changes from First NET 12/15 to now 1/29

Obvious drops
Team/NET change/W-L (last 45 days)
GMU/-108/3-7
Duquesne/-74/6-5

Obvious gains
Team/NET change/W-L
SBU/+59/4-4
URI/+27/9-2
VCU/+19/8-3

Holding steady
Team/NET change/W-L
Dayton/+5/11-1
SLU/-3/7-3
Davidson/-4/5-5

Then
UR/-37/6-5

What a choice to have to root for Rhode Island or VCU. Gives me the creeps. Go Rams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT