ADVERTISEMENT

First NET Rankings-#22

So what did Liberty and Charleston do special last night?

Edit:
Liberty 38 point home win over #350 up 9
Charleston 19 away win over #270 up 10

I am beginning to think NET weighs MOV heavier than they said they would...

Last edited:
Man, the NET sure loves the Lambs. Despite a season sweep (that wasn't close), a better record, a better road and neutral court record, and a stronger schedule, the Rhody Rams still find themselves 4 slots below them.

Reactions: nathanw19
Man, the NET sure loves the Lambs. Despite a season sweep (that wasn't close), a better record, a better road and neutral court record, and a stronger schedule, the Rhody Rams still find themselves 4 slots below them.

Are you suggesting that NET is not just about statistics :rolleyes:

BC is back in Quad 4.
7 of our OOC opponents are in Quad 4. More than half.
3 more are in Quad 3.

Maybe the Brown loss hurts?

Going by the quads:

Wake is 0-5, 2-4, 2-2, 5-0.

BC is 1-4, 3-4, 2-3, 4-0.

Wow. Somehow this puts Wake 48 spots higher in the NET.

And, VCU only has 1 quad 1 and 2 quad wins, while Rhode Island has 1 quad 1 and 5 quad 2s. VCU has 13 wins against quad 3 and 4.

Do we have Vandy, BC, and Charleston on the road next year? That will certainly give us more opportunities for higher quad wins. This was probably intentional after the last two years. Get as many wins as possible this year, but still put yourself in position for an at-large, but try to get as many higher quad wins next year.

BC is back in Quad 4.
7 of our OOC opponents are in Quad 4. More than half.
3 more are in Quad 3.

& Radford has pretty good chance to fall to quad 4 too. That would be 8/13.

Some ppl on here tried to claim Wake would not be a downgrade from Vandy & that we don’t have issues w our OOC.

Some ppl on here tried to claim Wake would not be a downgrade from Vandy & that we don’t have issues w our OOC.
The new spin is that this was advance planning for 2020-21.

We don't have issues with our out of conference schedule. If we did, we would not have shown up on brackets after that part of our schedule was completed. And, nice picking and choosing regarding wake and vandy. I remember some people on here criticizing the Alabama game, saying it would never be a quad one game.

The new spin is that this was advance planning for 2020-21.

No spin. You know where I stand about our schedule this year. I like it a lot. So, why would I have to spin anything? And, I asked a simple question. Why do you feel the need to always reply that way?

Wasn’t there a theory posed that the bottomfeeding P5 programs would all end up close to quad2 by virtue of their conference schedules? I guess that hypothesis is mostly blown.
It might not take much for a P5 AWAY game to be Quad 2 (135).

Wasn’t there a theory posed that the bottomfeeding P5 programs would all end up close to quad2 by virtue of their conference schedules? I guess that hypothesis is mostly blown.
The posers of that theory have quietly moved on. Goalposts moved.

Let’s say we end regular season 24-7 including a win over VCU 2/15. Then go 1-1 in New York. Would 25-8 get us anything in March?

Let’s assume Dayton wins the tournament

On the road, yes. I don't remember anyone saying they would be quad two games at home. They would have to be top 75 for that to happen. However, I do remember some posts saying Wisconsin and Alabama would not be quad one games.

Let’s say we end regular season 24-7 including a win over VCU 2/15. Then go 1-1 in New York. Would 25-8 get us anything in March?

Let’s assume Dayton wins the tournament

I would call us close to a lock to dance if we do that. I think 25-8 (14-4) and beating VCU or 26-8 (14-4) and winning our semi final game if our only regular season loss from here is to VCU puts us in great shape. If we finish 7-2 (13-5 IC ) and beat VCU, we might need 2 tourney wins. If we finish 7 - 2 and lose to VCU, we will likely have to win two tourney games to get another good win on the resume.

Let's just win these next two to get to 18 - 6 going into the VCU game. Then, a win against them and we probably show up on brackets at 19-6, leaving everything up to us.

So, even a 4-14 SEC finish for Vandy likely puts them top 100 and worst case we are probably looking at a 100-125 game.

Yep. These are 2 great OOC games to play. Both could easily end up top 100 are both are winnable. Both could be tier 2 games if the home opponent is 31-75 and the away 76-135.

No one is saying these are our toughest OOC games, but they could all realistically be top 100 games. They are good opponents for us to play. Winnable games who could end up tier 2 (tier 1 if 1-75 on the road), but are clearly not tier 4.

Why would you say it is optimistic to call them tier 2?

Exactly. Possible tier 2, but no worse than 3.

You don't think 2 of Auburn, Wisconsin or New Mexico, combined with Vandy, Wake, and BC, and adding ODU and Charleston would match up with the toughest schedules in the A-10?

But, at least it is a possible 2, a name P5 team, and a tier 3 team at the worst.

But, I like the looks of it so far. 7 real good opponents from a name and hopefully a quadrant standpoint
I don't remember anyone saying anything like that, either.

I credit you for research, but not for reading comprehension. Where in any of that did I say they WOULD end up top 75 quad 2? If Wake is sitting there at 113 today, and looking at last year's rankings of power teams, I think it was fair to say going into the season any power team could smell the top 100. Don't blame me if the NET likes a team like Wake a lot better than BC. All BC did today was win at UNC. Guess they will drop for that as well. Sorry, but I stand by saying those were good opponents, and good wins, and the committee will like a win over BC and any power team a lot better than a win over a 300 something team, regardless of where the NET puts them. And, looking at some of my posts you copied, looks like I didn't even know if they were home or road games, meaning if on the road they only needed to be top 135. Keep trolling me all you want. I won't see your replies anymore. And, sorry for you we won tonight. I know that must irritate you.

Last edited:
I credit you for research, but not for reading comprehension. Where in any of that did I say they WOULD end up top 75 quad 2? If Wake is sitting there at 113 today, and looking at last year's rankings of power teams, I think it was fair to say going into the season any power team could smell the top 100. Don't blame me if the NET likes a team like Wake a lot better than BC. All BC did today was win at UNC. Guess they will drop for that as well. Sorry, but I stand by saying those were good opponents, and good wins, and the committee will like a win over BC and any power team a lot better than a win over a 300 something team, regardless of where the NET puts them. And, looking at some of my posts you copied, looks like I didn't even know if they were home or road games, meaning if on the road they only needed to be top 135. Keep trolling me all you want. I won't see your replies anymore. And, sorry for you we won tonight. I know that must irritate you.
Clearly those posts didn’t age well. It certainly could still have been a decent scheduling gamble but right now the only contribution they provide is a perceptual value of being wins over P5 teams.

LOL, there's that strawman again. I love it when we win.
Spiders don't like to lose.

Nobody's fooled.

Clearly those posts didn’t age well. It certainly could still have been a decent scheduling gamble but right now the only contribution they provide is a perceptual value of being wins over P5 teams.

If that is all they would provide, that would still be a lot better than a no name high 200 or 300s team. And, a BC win is looking better and better to the committee, regardless of where they end up NET wise. Who knows? Vandy might still get a nice attention grabbing win or two, which would help as well. If you end up on the bubble, and the bubble team's quad numbers are similar, these wins could still help us.

And, keep in mind if these are home and homes, we go their places next year, which would only make it easier to get them to quad 2 status. And, if you look at my posts a little closer, it looks like I did not know where we were playing them yet, so I definitely stand by saying they could have been quad 2 games then. But, anyone who still wants to drill me for saying that should at least give me a touch of credit for saying Alabama could be quad 1 when plenty of posts said no chance that would happen.

If that is all they would provide, that would still be a lot better than a no name high 200 or 300s team. And, a BC win is looking better and better to the committee, regardless of where they end up NET wise. Who knows? Vandy might still get a nice attention grabbing win or two, which would help as well. If you end up on the bubble, and the bubble team's quad numbers are similar, these wins could still help us.

And, keep in mind if these are home and homes, we go their places next year, which would only make it easier to get them to quad 2 status. And, if you look at my posts a little closer, it looks like I did not know where we were playing them yet, so I definitely stand by saying they could have been quad 2 games then. But, anyone who still wants to drill me for saying that should at least give me a touch of credit for saying Alabama could be quad 1 when plenty of posts said no chance that would happen.
They don’t look better than a win over UNC Greensboro or a mid pack P5, I think that’s the point folks made preseason.

I didn’t hate them as schedule fillers but it was overly optimistic to think they’d end up Top100.

Blind squirrel.

Yesterday was a pretty good day for us and our conference in the NET.
The AAC has 5 teams in the top 60 now - that's going to add to the competition for bids. Tulsa is coming on.
It would also be nice for UVA to either figure it out, or fall apart. I don't want the defending national champions on the bubble on selection Sunday. The committee shouldn't factor that into their decision, but human nature being what it is....

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT