ADVERTISEMENT

First NET Rankings-#22

At the conclusion of the year (and all non-conference games except St. Joe's vs Penn) our SOS ranks #8 in the A10. Weaker than all of the other teams considered contenders for the A10 title.

George Mason's schedule was much derided by the same folks who touted ours as excellent.
Our SOS rank - 187. GMU - 190.

Last edited:
At the conclusion of the year (and all non-conference games except St. Joe's vs Penn) our SOS ranks #8 in the A10. Weaker than all of the other teams considered contenders for the A10 title.

George Mason's schedule was much derided by the same folks who touted ours as excellent.
Our SOS rank - 187. GMU - 190.
Are there two Non Con games left?
Blackburn left out St. Joe's. But isn't URI's last one tonight?

Are there two Non Con games left?
Blackburn left out St. Joe's. But isn't URI's last one tonight?
Good catch. Even though Brown's not a good team, it won't affect URI's ranking enough to affect where we stand. 8th.

KenPom vs NET have some very different SOS

Team/KenPom/Net/Diff
ri 68 101 (33)
dc 46 52 (6)
ur 182 187 (5)
sb 209 206 3
sj 41 31 10
fu 352 340 12
du 321 305 16
vc 197 179 18
um 127 83 44
ls 254 210 44
gw 331 285 46
sl 238 124 114
ud 168 44 124
gm 323 189 134

Still 6th and not close to top 3...

Granted the numbers will change when non conf opponents play through their league schedules, but 8th in A10 right now is pretty embarrassing imo when you have realistic NCAA expectations (yes mine but also explicitly Coach Mooney & big hat no cattle Hardt), and even moreso after Mooney's toughest/one of the toughest in A10 talk. Bait and switch.

Reading through this older schedule thread...hmm...

https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/ooc-tracker-lunardi-impact.11586/

Mentioned this elsewhere - but anyone who watched our games could see our OOC schedule was weak.

Vandy and BC are weaker P5 programs - not good this year, but I think these games if they continue next season have a chance to be good on the resume, especially if they are both road games.

Wisconsin and Auburn - both good games from the neutral site tourney. We go 1-1, not bad.

St. Francis - I think this was a decent game because I have a feeling they will be a top team in their league with a chance to win tourney bid to NCAA tourney. Same with ODU - think this is a good game to have every year on the schedule because of the Virginia ties and they are typically a team near the top of the C-USA.
Radford - not a good game because we lost, but if we are playing neutral site games, they should be resume builders, not resume killers and losing this game was a killer.
Alabama - loss didn't kill us, but now we must hope they do well in the SEC which is unlikely.

Overall - we only had two big games on schedule - Wisconsin and Auburn. Outside of that - not a whole lot there.

Like I said earlier - I can't blame Mooney and staff - part of the schedule is for NCAA purposes, but also remember, part is for job security - look at the board 2 weeks ago - we had dreams of NCAA bids with our hot start even with the idea it was against weak competition. And getting 10 wins in the OOC compared to 6 last year and 3 the year before - is a vast improvement and something I am sure will be fed to us when Mooney comes back next year as the future is bright.

if stomping SJU moves us up 11 spots NET Ranking ill take it!

64 75 Richmond Atlantic 10

Things have really changed from that initial NET where half the league was in the top 75. Of those 7 teams, only Dayton and VCU have moved up.

We can disagree about the OOC and its strength of schedule but our performance against us, has at least put us in the position to be in the conversation of being an NCAA team or not.

We can play ourselves onto the bubble and also play ourselves out of the bubble. But, I like where we are at right now with that opportunity.

Here is the latest NET when breaking it down into mid majors, counting the BE as a major and the AAC as not one, even though they are clearly looking like one.

1. San Diego St MWC
7. Gonzaga WCC
8. Dayton A-10
9. Wichita St. AAC
22. Memphis AAC
31. BYU WCC
34. VCU A-10
35. Liberty A-Sun
39. St. Mary's WCC
42. Houston AAC
49. SFA Southland
51. Akron MAC
53. Richmond A-10

Of course, we will be competing with mid majors and majors for a bid, but it would not hurt to be one of the top mid major at large hopefuls out there. If the teams ahead of us win their auto bids, as of now, that would only leave 5 mid majors ahead of us, 2 from the WCC, 2 from the AAC, and VCU.

I admit I really don't follow these things but the VCU away game is quad 1 and the home game is quad 2. Does the game location affect the quad?

I admit I really don't follow these things but the VCU away game is quad 1 and the home game is quad 2. Does the game location affect the quad?

If VCU ends top 30, our home game with them will also be a quad 1.

Top 75 are Quad 1 away, Top 30 are Quad 1 at home.

SLU was #74 Yesterday 31-75 is Quad 2 at home.
LaSalle was #136 Yesterday 76-135 is Quad 2 away.

It is funny how that works. Especially if you beat a team more than once. I remember Georgia beat South Carolina three times, and knocked South Carolina out of the top 50. So, Georgia would have had two more top 50 wins had they lost the 3rd game to South Carolina.

Reactions: gospidersgo
moved up 3 due to BC beating UVA most likely..... UVA dropped 12 spots.... BC moved up 13 spots (to 132o_O)

moved up 3 due to BC beating UVA most likely..... UVA dropped 12 spots.... BC moved up 13 spots (to 132o_O)
Actually it appears to be from UVA, Purdue, and Georgia falling below us...

Lesson - don't lose at home. UGA dropped 19 spots after losing to Kentucky. We'll see same kind of drop or more if we lose to St. Louis.
The one game that might not drop us far is Dayton.

this year I expected this team to be winning. no reason not to have winning this year. average year is a losing team to me this year

Big road game for NET tonight. Expect we'll be solidly in the 50s with a W. Let's get back into striking distance.

I don't subscribe to KenPom, so I don't know where we were pre-Davidson (80s I think), but I'm hoping #79 is a decent move up?
We'll see where our NET winds up in a few hours. We're already in the 60s. I don't think wins over triple-digit opponents move the needle as much as others, but it would be nice to overtake VCU. :)

I don't subscribe to KenPom, so I don't know where we were pre-Davidson (80s I think), but I'm hoping #79 is a decent move up?
We'll see where our NET winds up in a few hours. We're already in the 60s. I don't think wins over triple-digit opponents move the needle as much as others, but it would be nice to overtake VCU. :)

83. So not a significant increase. I was thinking a little more. NET seems to have a little more movement than kenpom from what I can tell. We’ll be in the net 50s but I don’t think as low 50s as I was hoping based on kenpom. Not a lot of games last night either. No way we move ahead of vcu who won’t get dinged too much w road loss at Dayton tho it was double digits. We’ll see soon enough.

I am interested to see how much VCU changes. NET can do some strange things. I know it depends on all games, but some teams stay the same after losing to a team like Dayton, and others drop quite a bit. I would think as you play more games, you drop a lot less when losing to top 10 or 15 teams like Dayton.

Hopefully, Davidson finishes top 135 so we can get a quad 2 win out of that. They look like they could lose quite a few more this year.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT