ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need a recruiter?

Well all of our assistants left, so who do you suppose was recruiting everyone, Mooney all by himself? I'm sure he didn't have anything else to do...
I think Mooney is the closer. All of our assistants left just before this and somehow we managed to land our “best recruiting class” ever.

No, EL, not a VCU board. Just wondering why it is so hard for you to say you might have been wrong about something. No big deal, but just strange.

I think assistant coaches are much more involved in recruiting HS players than in the transfer portal.
I think it gets to the head coach level really quickly in the portal.

I still can't find Smith mentioning MoJo. we did see Mooney and Gipe at his workout.
I thought for sure he mentioned Mojo in his recruitment, but I can't find it now. I can't find it now. Perhaps, I was remembering someone different.

Jesus Christ man, will it make you feel better if I say I WAS WRONG about a prediction I made two years ago about a random VCU player? There it is. I WAS WRONG. Go live it up.
Wasn't just a prediction though. You went on and on and attacked those of us who said Bones was very much an NBA guy. This wasn't just a random comment you made. It was days, even weeks and maybe months, of getting on anyone who said that. As if we were so clueless to think Bones had NBA talent. So, yes, when you pretended like you were right by saying he wasn't a lottery pick, I felt it was more than acceptable to call you out on that.

Wasn't just a prediction though. You went on and on and attacked those of us who said Bones was very much an NBA guy. This wasn't just a random comment you made. It was days, even weeks and maybe months, of getting on anyone who said that. As if we were so clueless to think Bones had NBA talent. So, yes, when you pretended like you were right by saying he wasn't a lottery pick, I felt it was more than acceptable to call you out on that.
I hate VCU. Despise, loathe, cannot stand. Etc. Maybe you've picked up on that? My initial commentary on Bones on this board was in response to people on their board claiming he was a lottery pick. I said that was ridiculous. He wasn't a lottery pick. I had fun going on and on about him to their fans, and yes, I played that up. I'll do it again for anything involving VCU, too. God forbid. I never "attacked" our fans over a VCU player. If you felt attacked, maybe you are a VCU fan?

The CEO of McDonald's doesn't oversee the entire company, handle payroll, answer the phones,do the dishes and make all the hamburgers. I'm just saying that the idea that Mooney and Mooney alone identified, reached out to and traveled to meet with the three transfers we got (not to mention the others we didn't) AND also was solely responsible for recruiting and signing Smith seems a bit far-fetched, no?
in pompom land all achievements can singularly be attributed to Mooney and all shortcomings are everyone else's fault.

Who's going on and on now? You got what you wanted. Let it go.

Coach Will is a great human…I can say that and I know he goes above and beyond. We have a great relationship and I think some of you should ease up with the judging. I can say how it worked with us…Coach Jenkins was the 1st to reach out to us from UR. Loved him and so did Mrs. SpiderMom😀 as did Dji. Hate that he left. We built that relationship with Coach Jenkins, Coach Mooney and rest of the staff. I will say the process was great with UR, very similar to Coach Manny & Woodberry. On the opposite side we had Coach Pitino & Iona who were & regardless how you feel about him and all that comes with him. You will either make it under him or you won’t..no middle area and it was cool to get to be recruited by him. But it became very clear on views about education and views about professional aspirations. Two very different processes but UR is TOP CLASS as is the staff and really made it easy. Coach Will was def a part of that and I’m not worried about our recruiting. 🕷🏀

Last edited:
Maybe not EL, but you liked a post that criticized Gipe, and then a few posts later you went on to say Gipe "obviously" is not ready to be the lead recruiter at an A-10 school. Not "maybe not" , or not "probably not" , you threw in "obviously", as if you know anything about the guy. Then, when SDad75 shares his comments, you get on here and play the "when did I say that" BS. Whatever, man. Like SDad said, maybe take it easy on judging until you know a little more about something.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Where in any of my posts did I say or even suggest that? Nowhere.
Considering you liked a post that said Gipe looks like he should be selling knives or bike riding on a Mormon mission, I would say that means you probably didn't think he had a lot to do with our recruiting. So, yes, you very much suggested that.

Reactions: POMSpidur
Maybe not EL, but you liked a post that criticized Gipe, and then a few posts later you went on to say Gipe "obviously" is not ready to be the lead recruiter at an A-10 school. Not "maybe not" , or not "probably not" , you threw in "obviously", as if you know anything about the guy. Then, when SDad75 shares his comments, you get on here and play the "when did I say that" BS. Whatever, man. Like SDad said, maybe take it easy on judging until you know a little more about something.
Enough strawmen in this thread to build a damn straw army. I have not "criticized" Gipe. I just said that he is not ready to be the lead recruiter for an A10 team. He's literally never even been an assistant coach yet! I'm sure if he's good, he will be a lead recruiter one day, but we need a guy who has done a lot of this.
Which other A10 programs are hiring as their lead recruiter someone who has never been an assistant coach?

Gipe can be a lead recruiter in the NEC for awhile or a secondary or tertiary recruiter here for awhile first. I'm not hiring the new line chef at Arby's to be the CEO of the company after a year on the job, either. Sorry if you interpret that as me "criticizing" him. I hope he's great and does a lot of great things here. I'm not elevating him four spots in one offseason, though, and neither is Mooney.

And the post I liked also said this, which I agree with, so maybe don't presume to know why I liked the post...

"Hell yes, we need a recruiter, that is what Mojo was. We need a guy who has a little pizazz and Mojo brought some diversity to our staff. And before you roll your eyes about that word, look at who we are recruiting, yes that matters."

Last edited:
Considering you liked a post that said Gipe looks like he should be selling knives or bike riding on a Mormon mission, I would say that means you probably didn't think he had a lot to do with our recruiting. So, yes, you very much suggested that.
Waay too argumentative, Dude. We are all Spider fans. Don't have to try to vanquish fellow Spider fans on the board who hold different views,

Reactions: wr70beh and urfan1
Waay too argumentative, Dude. We are all Spider fans. Don't have to try to vanquish fellow Spider fans on the board who hold different views,
What is interesting is I have been replying to EL and EL only. People that don't know or weren't involved in past debates with us should stay the heck out of it. I'm sure EL can take care of himself. Sorry, but if EL or anyone replies to my posts and thinks they know everything and criticizes my opinions during a debate, I will defend myself, and yes, when someone talks down to you like they know everything and you know nothing, and they get proven wrong, I think it is perfectly acceptable to point that out. Just like plenty of others do here.

Look at the past several posts on here. All because I had a back and forth with EL? Fine, get on me. Heck, you even have SDad liking a post that got on me, so congrats to those of you that get bothered by me on turning another guy against me. I would like to ask SDad what it is he thinks I have been wrong about so often since he liked a post that said just that. I could not care less what most of the others on here think, but I do like sharing thoughts with SDad so hopefully he can tell me what it is I am so wrong about a lot.

So, why, instead of maybe questioning why so many other people criticized and got on me for my thoughts, you got on me for being "argumentative"? As if EL hasn't been argumentative? As if about 30 people on here aren't argumentative at times. So, don't get on the arrogant guy who was proven wrong, and don't get on the guy who said our assistant coach should be selling knives or on a Mormon mission. Because that is all cool right? But, hey, all good to get on me again, right? Whatever.

Last edited:
@
What is interesting is I have been replying to EL and EL only. People that don't know or weren't involved in past debates with us should stay the heck out of it. I'm sure EL can take care of himself. Sorry, but if EL or anyone replies to my posts and thinks they know everything and criticizes my opinions during a debate, I will defend myself, and yes, when someone talks down to you like they know everything and you know nothing, and they get proven wrong, I think it is perfectly acceptable to point that out. Just like plenty of others do here.

Look at the past several posts on here. All because I had a back and forth with EL? Fine, get on me. Heck, you even have SDad liking a post that got on me, so congrats to those of you that get bothered by me on turning another guy against me. But, just wondering, why, instead of maybe questioning why so many other people criticized and got on me for my thoughts, you got on me for being "argumentative"? As if EL hasn't been argumentative? As if about 30 people on here aren't argumentative at times. So, don't get on the arrogant guy who was proven wrong, and don't get on the guy who said our assistant coach should be seeking knives or on a Mormon mission. Because that is all cool right? But, hey, all good to get on me again, right? Whatever.
Thank you for making my point.

Reactions: Spider B
@

Thank you for making my point.
So, you butt in and reply to me about being argumentative when this has nothing to do with you. I reply back to you and somehow this makes your point? Interesting.

Look at the past several posts on here. All because I had a back and forth with EL? Fine, get on me. Heck, you even have SDad liking a post that got on me, so congrats to those of you that get bothered by me on turning another guy against me. I would like to ask SDad what it is he thinks I have been wrong about so often since he liked a post that said just that. I could not care less what most of the others on here think, but I do like sharing thoughts with SDad so hopefully he can tell me what it is I am so wrong about a lot.

So, why, instead of maybe questioning why so many other people criticized and got on me for my thoughts, you got on me for being "argumentative"? As if EL hasn't been argumentative? As if about 30 people on here aren't argumentative at times. So, don't get on the arrogant guy who was proven wrong, and don't get on the guy who said our assistant coach should be selling knives or on a Mormon mission. Because that is all cool right? But, hey, all good to get on me again, right? Whatever.

does the V in your username stand for 'victim'?

Reactions: wr70beh
does the V in your username stand for 'victim'?
We had a guy on here say, on our board, one of our assistant coaches looks like he should be selling knives or riding a bike on a Mormon mission, it gets liked by a few people, and yet, I am the one some of you have an issue with? Whatever. All you ever do is wait around till you can find something to get on me for, just like you did with this.

Last edited:
Coach Will is a great human…I can say that and I know he goes above and beyond. We have a great relationship and I think some of you should ease up with the judging. I can say how it worked with us…Coach Jenkins was the 1st to reach out to us from UR. Loved him and so did Mrs. SpiderMom😀 as did Dji. Hate that he left. We built that relationship with Coach Jenkins, Coach Mooney and rest of the staff. I will say the process was great with UR, very similar to Coach Manny & Woodberry. On the opposite side we had Coach Pitino & Iona who were & regardless how you feel about him and all that comes with him. You will either make it under him or you won’t..no middle area and it was cool to get to be recruited by him. But it became very clear on views about education and views about professional aspirations. Two very different processes but UR is TOP CLASS as is the staff and really made it easy. Coach Will was def a part of that and I’m not worried about our recruiting. 🕷🏀
Also,Being a member of Phi Beta Kappa doesn’t diminish Will’s abilities as a pretty good recruiter-coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider3309
It's my fault for taking people off of ignore. I figured I would try not ignoring anyone after our success last year, but I should have known better. Same ole same ole.
I get it … please stay active - likewise for 8legs / go Spiders

Reactions: VT4700
It's my fault for taking people off of ignore. I figured I would try not ignoring anyone after our success last year, but I should have known better. Same ole same ole.
Respectfully, you do argue with people a lot, and you’re kind of a dog with a bone, you just don’t let up. That includes taking an original difference in opinion down some tangential alleys which is what I see above.

Understandably, it’s a discussion board so no small part of this is the exchange of differing opinions. But if you’re looking to understand why some folks take issue with your posts and get wound up with you, that’s perhaps something to consider. Just an observation.

Reactions: wr70beh
Respectfully, you do argue with people a lot, and you’re kind of a dog with a bone, you just don’t let up. That includes taking an original difference in opinion down some tangential alleys which is what I see above.

Understandably, it’s a discussion board so no small part of this is the exchange of differing opinions. But if you’re looking to understand why some folks take issue with your posts and get wound up with you, that’s perhaps something to consider. Just an observation.
T, the bottom line is plenty of people on here don't like me, and there are plenty of people on here I don't like as well. You can say I argue, but you can't deny that plenty on here argue with me as much or more than I argue with them. You say I don't let up, but what am I supposed to do when the other person doesn't let up? Let the other person always have the last word, even if what they say is wrong? It was my mistake to not keep certain people on ignore. A lot of people crossed a line with hateful attacks in the past. I lost so much respect for them, I could never get it back. You know as well as anyone I am treated differently on here. You can't deny that. I can say things in a similar way that others do, but the others don't get attacked in return, I do. It is what it is, and I blame myself for being foolish enough to think people might have changed. They haven't changed. I am not looking to understand why I am treated this way. I know why. Everyone knows why. The dislike toward me because I supported our program while we were down a few years ago will never go away. I constantly got attacked on here for being too positive and for not being a negative, whining person, and for not agreeing with all of the negative ones on here. You and others know that is true. You can say I am playing the victim, but you know what I am saying is true. Do you know how old that got, getting attacked by 4 or 5 different posters after every post I posted, just because I didn't angrily criticize our coach or players? Bottom line is there are not too many posters on here that I have a lot of respect for, and I couldn't care less who respects me. Those that I respect know who they are and I look forward to some good back and forth with them, even if we disagree. The others will be back on ignore so I don't have to hear or deal with their constant BS. So, those of you that get so bothered by my posts, have your fun with me and get all of your attacks in, knowing I won't respond. Whatever.

VT which post are your referring to? Was it the one from 97 where I laughed? I was laughing at the context of the statement not you per say. Those like buttons are a little ambiguous…I think and so if you took that the wrong way, I’m sorry 🙏🏼 There are lots of people wrong on this board about a lot of things. But I have a unique perspective more than most up here. There are a lot of times where I would love to set record straight but just can’t and won’t. VT most always from what I’ve seen has backed his debates/comments up with relevant evidence. Also this board is a lot like office emails…tone or lack of (like button) when it comes to topics or debates. Like someone said…we are all Spiders 🕷🏀

Last edited:
VT your fingers are over coated with steroid cream. You don’t have to write a thesis for each response.
Why are you not spending your time more on the Hokie board? There is a difference between you and
most of our posters: we are UR graduates and you are not. There is history you don’t have. Just like with
SpiderDad, if you have not experienced UR sports history past, you don’t fully understand where some of
us are coming from. This is not saying your thoughts are not welcome, it is saying those of us who bleed red and blue
have a vested history behind our comments at times.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT