ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need a recruiter?

Tarrant gave me my nickname until this day, “Cool”.
It looks like Wake game was 11/28/1981? Which I think is Newman’s 18th birthday?
No, he completed the season and Tarrant became the interim head coach in 1981.

Last edited:
This is what pisses me off about so many of you. You just post a bunch of inaccurate crap on here. You don't know a thing about me. Stop pretending you do. I am a UR grad, and know about our history as much or more than anyone on here. And, I am damn proud of being a UR grad, but not proud of how many jerks our message board has.

This makes my point about losing so much respect for people on here. How can I not lose a ton of respect for you when you post crap like this: "we are UR grads and you are not". Seriously? So, you post something like this as fact without having a clue about me. That is just low, man. But, there is no bottom here so just keep going I guess.

You having fun spreading lies about me? So, if I had you on ignore, I never would have seen your post, and without having a chance to tell you how wrong you were, the rest of the board would have just believed you, and looked at every post of mine and said, "well, he's not even a UR grad...what does he know". Spreading lies is so wrong, man. What the heck is wrong with you? Grow the hell up!
Proud UR grad who uses VT in his name instead?

Don't ask, this is BS. Sman has one example, and that kid probably didnt want it come more bc of ou lack of success, which resulted in the negative posting. Its all cause and effect. Wherever that kid went the coach was getting g killed on that board too. Weak sauce.
in my example, kid went to a bigger program in a higher conference and one that's had more success than us. once they offered, we would have lost out to them regardless of anything we did or didn't do.

but they had written us off before that team offered and they were seriously considering a couple of programs with no more success than us, as well as a couple of Ivys. they didn't mention the message board. they did mention the billboard.

in my example, kid went to a bigger program in a higher conference and one that's had more success than us. once they offered, we would have lost out to them regardless of anything we did or didn't do.

but they had written us off before that team offered and they were seriously considering a couple of programs with no more success than us, as well as a couple of Ivys. they didn't mention the message board. they did mention the billboard.
You always cite this example and I think it doesn’t hold much water.

sorry. only example I've got. I was excited to know a kid being recruited by UR. was hoping he came here.
Sorry let me clarify my point.
In my business, people give reasons for certain actions that may not be the real reason they act a certain way. It’s just easier to explain it than maybe the real reason.
So in your example, given the story was public and the student-athlete likely knew he was chasing something bigger, he may have cited the banner as a reason for not considering a school. In reality, there likely were several factors at play.

Sorry let me clarify my point.
In my business, people give reasons for certain actions that may not be the real reason they act a certain way. It’s just easier to explain it than maybe the real reason.
So in your example, given the story was public and the student-athlete likely knew he was chasing something bigger, he may have cited the banner as a reason for not considering a school. In reality, there likely were several factors at play.
that's possible I guess.

So, I guess Sman, don't believe what a guy you know told you, it would be better to come up with some random story.

We do seems to have a few cryptic usernames here. Mine has a story behind it, that I have told before.

At one point some local store employees considered drunk frat guys from UR pests and coined "UrMites".
Years later I decided to reclaim it for UR sports teams and postseason. Saying they were big pests in postseason and nearly impossible to permanently eliminate...

On a different topic, seeing a few posts recently, someone remind me the username of Eric Ward's aunt...

We do seems to have a few cryptic usernames here. Mine has a story behind it, that I have told before.

At one point some local store employees considered drunk frat guys from UR pests and coined "UrMites".
Years later I decided to reclaim it for UR sports teams and postseason. Saying they were big pests in postseason and nearly impossible to permanently eliminate...

On a different topic, seeing a few posts recently, someone remind me the username of Eric Ward's aunt...
I certainly thought hard and long about my cryptic username ..

I'm thinking about changing my user name to my social security number.

That would provide transparency and obviously work out well...

So well, that maybe I should do that for all social media?

Reactions: Section9.RowD

I believe it was paward…if this is correct I just passed my daily recall test.

Go Spiders!

I believe it was paward…if this is correct I just passed my daily recall test.

Go Spiders!
While I did not.

And therefore wanted to confirm it was not PASpider. But did know that the PA in Paward stood for something other than Pennsylvania.

So then why are you blaming the message board? I don’t think the MB is inextricably tied to the billboard, other than they both have “board” in them.

Maybe you aren’t but some folks seem to have grabbed onto this singular example. I really think that if a recruit is being swayed by our message board, which is remarkably tame, then they probably aren’t a great fit here, and arguably at many places.

So then why are you blaming the message board? I don’t think the MB is inextricably tied to the billboard, other than they both have “board” in them.

Maybe you aren’t but some folks seem to have grabbed onto this singular example. I really think that if a recruit is being swayed by our message board, which is remarkably tame, then they probably aren’t a great fit here, and arguably at many places.
Agreed. You articulated it better than me.

Kevin Smith won't be our recruiter in the event we need a recruiter ...

"In his young career, Smith has coached and/or recruited nine All-Conference selections, highlighted by All-American and 2019 Big South Player of the Year Chris Clemons who led the NCAA in scoring in 2019 with 30.1 points per game."

Reactions: GKiller
Mine is a tribute to the greatest transfer in the history of UR basketball

(that wore kneepads in actual games).
Ugh, he was terrible. Went down to Chapel Hill to watch UR play. We were even with a couple minutes left until McKinney started to think he was Shaq. A missed shot (why did he have the ball?) and a foul later and we were done. So disappointing.
Here was our game by game performance that year. Thanks Dooley. One of the worst coaches in NCAA history.

Ugh, he was terrible. Went down to Chapel Hill to watch UR play. We were even with a couple minutes left until McKinney started to think he was Shaq. A missed shot (why did he have the ball?) and a foul later and we were done. So disappointing.
Here was our game by game performance that year. Thanks Dooley. One of the worst coaches in NCAA history.
Was at that UNC game as well ... senior year before graduation. You remember the game a touch better than I do though.

We had a chance to win both of those games at UNC. The first one I think was our best chance, as I recall. Down a couple buckets with a couple minutes left.

without going back to check my wording, I don't think I blamed the message board for the recruit I know. I do think repetitive negativity can only hurt a program. I don't buy that it shows a passionate fan base and that a recruit would see that as a positive. but I agree there's probably complaining on every message board if you don't win enough.

my bigger problem remains with the billboard. that was very public and in my one example, it hurt the program (in my opinion). I don't know if this family read our board and if they did that it had an impact. dad wasn't confident Mooney would be here. mentioned billboard. didn't mention this board.

Reactions: VT4700
From a different perspective...we lost a recruit and went through a little public embarrassment, followed by a likely NCAA year (covid year), an nit year, and a conference tournament championship / NCAA tournament year.

I wasn't a fan of the idea at the time and would not be in the future either. But it's hard to say it was such a detriment to the program and then look at how well we've done since it happened. In other words I think it might seem like a bigger deal than it actually was since we live eat and breathe UR basketball.

From a different perspective...we lost a recruit and went through a little public embarrassment, followed by a likely NCAA year (covid year), an nit year, and a conference tournament championship / NCAA tournament year.

I wasn't a fan of the idea at the time and would not be in the future either. But it's hard to say it was such a detriment to the program and then look at how well we've done since it happened. In other words I think it might seem like a bigger deal than it actually was since we live eat and breathe UR basketball.

I mean, isn't it also possible that our success since the billboard is due to the fact that Jacob Gilyard, Grant Golden, Nick Sherod and Nathan Cayo became very experienced upperclassmen, and added Blake Francis to the mix, and had development from Matt Grace and Gustavson amongst others?

I don't wish to get into yet another tit-for-tat on the billboard, but I do reject the idea that we can definitively correlate our recent success to billboard just by saying "billboard happened on X day, and our record since X day is very good."

Reactions: gospidersgo
I mean, isn't it also possible that our success since the billboard is due to the fact that Jacob Gilyard, Grant Golden, Nick Sherod and Nathan Cayo became very experienced upperclassmen, and added Blake Francis to the mix, and had development from Matt Grace and Gustavson amongst others?

I don't wish to get into yet another tit-for-tat on the billboard, but I do reject the idea that we can definitively correlate our recent success to billboard just by saying "billboard happened on X day, and our record since X day is very good."
Yes I think that's the most likely cause of our success. Just pointing out that if the argument was that it (the billboard) was a detriment to recruiting and to the program in general it seems like it would've shown up by now, when in fact the opposite seems to have happened.

I don't believe the billboard caused our recent success, just don't believe it was as big a deal as some make it out to be.

Reactions: MrTbone
the pieces were already in place for improvement before the billboard.
but I agree ... we've continued to land talented players after.
the dip in recruiting was a long time ago now. there's a definite lag between recruiting and results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT