ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need a recruiter?

VT your fingers are over coated with steroid cream. You don’t have to write a thesis for each response.
Why are you not spending your time more on the Hokie board? There is a difference between you and
most of our posters: we are UR graduates and you are not. There is history you don’t have. Just like with
SpiderDad, if you have not experienced UR sports history past, you don’t fully understand where some of
us are coming from. This is not saying your thoughts are not welcome, it is saying those of us who bleed red and blue
have a vested history behind our comments at times.
This is what pisses me off about so many of you. You just post a bunch of inaccurate crap on here. You don't know a thing about me. Stop pretending you do. I am a UR grad, and know about our history as much or more than anyone on here. And, I am damn proud of being a UR grad, but not proud of how many jerks our message board has.

This makes my point about losing so much respect for people on here. How can I not lose a ton of respect for you when you post crap like this: "we are UR grads and you are not". Seriously? So, you post something like this as fact without having a clue about me. That is just low, man. But, there is no bottom here so just keep going I guess.

You having fun spreading lies about me? So, if I had you on ignore, I never would have seen your post, and without having a chance to tell you how wrong you were, the rest of the board would have just believed you, and looked at every post of mine and said, "well, he's not even a UR grad...what does he know". Spreading lies is so wrong, man. What the heck is wrong with you? Grow the hell up!

Last edited:
VT your fingers are over coated with steroid cream. You don’t have to write a thesis for each response.
Why are you not spending your time more on the Hokie board? There is a difference between you and
most of our posters: we are UR graduates and you are not. There is history you don’t have. Just like with
SpiderDad, if you have not experienced UR sports history past, you don’t fully understand where some of
us are coming from. This is not saying your thoughts are not welcome, it is saying those of us who bleed red and blue
have a vested history behind our comments at times.
This doesn’t make any sense. Like somehow going to UR makes you more educated on the team and history? Come on, do you actually believe that?

It’s not unusual for SEC schools to have extremely dedicated and diehard fans that didn’t go to the school. It’s just more unique here as we are a much smaller school with less prestige.

We had a guy on here say, on our board, one of our assistant coaches looks like he should be selling knives or riding a bike on a Mormon mission, it gets liked by a few people, and yet, I am the one some of you have an issue with? Whatever. All you ever do is wait around till you can find something to get on me for, just like you did with this.
Because you attach people relentlessly, you do it all of the time. You come across as thin skinned, needlessly argumentative, literally about everything. And then when you are proven wrong, you go away and hide for a few weeks/months, never admitted your were wrong but then come back attacking other again right away.

If you didn't like my comments about Gipe (I've had several people say that to me privately, so I just put it out on more publicly on a message board), you should have addressed that to me, rather than attacking someone else.

Gipe may be the best recruiter on the planet, we shall see, I pointed out how that I thought the loss of Mojo and Hovde were gonna be huge cause I think both of those guys could really appeal to 17-18 years, transfers in a way that Mooney and Gipe could not.

Gipe may be the best recruiter on the planet, we shall see, I pointed out how that I thought the loss of Mojo and Hovde were gonna be huge cause I think both of those guys could really appeal to 17-18 years, transfers in a way that Mooney and Gipe could not.
but SpiderDad (who just went through all of this) just told you how good Mooney and Gipe were in the living room.

This is what pisses me off about so many of you. You just post a bunch of inaccurate crap on here. You don't know a thing about me. Stop pretending you do. I am a UR grad, and know about our history as much or more than anyone on here. And, I am damn proud of being a UR grad, but not proud of how many jerks our message board has.

This makes my point about losing so much respect for people on here. How can I not lose a ton of respect for you when you post crap like this: "we are UR grads and you are not". Seriously? So, you post something like this as fact without having a clue about me. That is just low, man. But, there is no bottom here so just keep going I guess.

You having fun spreading lies about me? So, if I had you on ignore, I never would have seen your post, and without having a chance to tell you how wrong you were, the rest of the board would have just believed you, and looked at every post of mine and said, "well, he's not even a UR grad...what does he know". Spreading lies is so wrong, man. What the heck is wrong with you? Grow the hell up!
Why do you care what other poster on this board say about you? I think most of your post are terrific. Keep up the good work.

If you want a good example of why some of us might be concerned about the loss of Mojo, look at his Wiki page.
Mojo Wiki page

Played under Izzo (Michigan State) and Lonergan (Vermont) in College, played professionally oversees for a number of years and then came back to coach with Lonergan at GW, before becoming head coach at GW, and then assistant coach at Farleigh Dickinson and Mason before coming to us.

Quite the playing and coaching resume.

And then we have Gipe who graduated from Virginia Tech in 2016, did some graduate assistant work under Buzz and then became our video coordinator and has moved up the food chain every since. No playing experience, maybe he played high school ball, no real coaching experience either before becoming our assistant coach.

Obviously, a huge contrast in comparison to Mojo. You are losing a ton of experience, both playing and coaching, with this change. And for a high school player, Mojo can walk in and talk about playing under Izzo, playing professionally oversees, being a head coach at another A-10 school. I think that might be impressive for a potential recruit. What exactly is Gipe leading with?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
but SpiderDad (who just went through all of this) just told you how good Mooney and Gipe were in the living room.
Good data point for sure in Gipe's favor. Just laid out the difference in experience between Gipe and Mojo though which is where my concerns lie.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Why do you care what other poster on this board say about you? I think most of your post are terrific. Keep up the good work.
I don't. But, the ridiculous "you are not even a UR guy" lie got old a long time ago. It touched a nerve because there were a lot of false things said about me on here, and the lies kept repeating over and over.

This really says I don't care what other posters think. Lol.

I don't. But, the ridiculous "you are not even a UR guy" lie got old a long time ago. It touched a nerve because there were a lot of false things said about me on here, and the lies kept repeating over and over.
oK VT what year are you? What is your degree? Who was your favorite Spider player and why the hell do you use VT in your moniker that confuse us that are so ignorant in your eyes. I am a 76er from UR SBA and started following UR in early 60s listening to Frank Soden on AM radio and yes I was a townie.

This doesn’t make any sense. Like somehow going to UR makes you more educated on the team and history? Come on, do you actually believe that?

It’s not unusual for SEC schools to have extremely dedicated and diehard fans that didn’t go to the school. It’s just more unique here as we are a much smaller school with less prestige.
Valid point Long Island, but for some of us who have lived thru multiple leagues, ADs, coaches and university presidents
have personally felt the changes that a possible outsider won’t. I enjoyed VPI beating Notre Dame in the NIT but it was not the same joy as UR beating the Hokies in double OT earlier in year. I knew the Tech players but would never claim to know them as well as UR. If I had not gone to UR after following them from childhood, would I had still followed them? Probably so but I would not have been as vested in their progress as being a graduate.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
If you want a good example of why some of us might be concerned about the loss of Mojo, look at his Wiki page.
Mojo Wiki page

Played under Izzo (Michigan State) and Lonergan (Vermont) in College, played professionally oversees for a number of years and then came back to coach with Lonergan at GW, before becoming head coach at GW, and then assistant coach at Farleigh Dickinson and Mason before coming to us.

Quite the playing and coaching resume.

I think losing him was significant too, but man looking at this I really see a guy who doesn't stick in any one place for very long even going back to his playing days.

Regarding Gipe, I understand that he looks more like the guy that would be bagging your groceries than the guy who would convince a 16 year old black kid where to go to college.

But i think it's clear at this point that Gipe has been heavily involved in some of our recruiting wins recently and anyone who overlooks him as a recruiter probably does so to their own detriment.

Reactions: spider3309
I think losing him was significant too, but man looking at this I really see a guy who doesn't stick in any one place for very long even going back to his playing days.

Regarding Gipe, I understand that he looks more like the guy that would be bagging your groceries than the guy who would convince a 16 year old black kid where to go to college.

But i think it's clear at this point that Gipe has been heavily involved in some of our recruiting wins recently and anyone who overlooks him as a recruiter probably does so to their own detriment.
Gipe could sell ice to an Eskimo and I hope that Is the case. I now worry more about how NIL money affects recruiting.

Reactions: urfan1
Just wanted to set the record straight. VT usually is pretty accurate. Him and Sman both usually are
You joined the board 3 weeks ago, most of us have been around much longer and a much longer experience with the "accuracy" of his posts and also his picking arguments with a large number of posters, who may call him to account on that "accuracy". I'm not lumping S-man in with him. While I disagree with S-man on a lot of things and we get into it at times on here, their is always a baseline level of respect as posters.

You joined the board 3 weeks ago, most of us have been around much longer and a much longer experience with the "accuracy" of his posts and also his picking arguments with a large number of posters, who may call him to account on that "accuracy". I'm not lumping S-man in with him. While I disagree with S-man on a lot of things and we get into it at times on here, their is always a baseline level of respect as posters.
I’ve been looking at this board much longer than 3 weeks ago. I’m sorry if saying those two were the most accurate hurt your feelings.. forgive me

VT said Gipe being criticized off of his looks vs if he can recruit is ridiculous. And hes right?
When people disagree with me, not only do they attack in return, but they call me "wrong". It is laughable. I almost always post with facts, and if the negative ones on here don't like those facts, that somehow means I am "wrong". And, when I just give an opinion, I don't say it like it is a fact, unlike plenty of others on here. They probably couldn't find 5 things I have said that were "wrong", but they will continue to pretend that everything I say is "wrong". All because I am too positive about our program. Guess I was "wrong" for believing in our guys and coaches this past year???

When people disagree with me, not only do they attack in return, but they call me "wrong". It is laughable. I almost always post with facts, and if the negative ones on here don't like those facts, that somehow means I am "wrong". And, when I just give an opinion, I don't say it like it is a fact, unlike plenty of others on here. They probably couldn't find 5 things I have said that were "wrong", but they will continue to pretend that everything I say is "wrong". All because I am too positive about our program. Guess I was "wrong" for believing in our guys and coaches this past year???
👏🏿👏🏿💯🕷🕸

My friend, you are wrong often, but I still enjoy your posts.

Reactions: spider23
No one's feelings were hurt, you were just wrong.
And to be frank. This board plays a part in a reason why we don’t get some recruits just so you guys know. All the crying and negativity you guys do. Parents see it, you see SDad got on here so I’d imagine all the other parents see it as well
Well, the problem is VT came in on year 5 of the 10 year mooniocrity and still is 100 percent Mooney does no wrong. While the majority of the board is 100 percent pro Spiders.
Pro spiders? What is pro spiders in your book?

And to be frank. This board plays a part in a reason why we don’t get some recruits just so you guys know. All the crying and negativity you guys do. Parents see it, you see SDad got on here so I’d imagine all the other parents see it as well

You don’t know anything. Stop posting.

I’m interested in specific examples of recruits we lost over the message board.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23

Cmon man. Pro Spiders is referring to most fans on this board are interested in the success of the program first, and not that of the coach that missed the ncaas for 10 years first. Thanks for popping in though.

I’m interested in specific examples of recruits we list over the message board.
Don't ask, this is BS. Sman has one example, and that kid probably didnt want it come more bc of ou lack of success, which resulted in the negative posting. Its all cause and effect. Wherever that kid went the coach was getting g killed on that board too. Weak sauce.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Coach Will can’t compete with MoJos experience no question. That doesn’t mean he can’t be relatable. I think it depends on the family and the kid being recruited.
You cannot discount what they have learned from quality coaches. I was a manager of UR basketball team for 2 and a half years under both Sloan Goetz and Tarrant, while I didn’t coach on the college level, I did coach for almost 20 years with distinction on the high school level.

You cannot discount what they have learned from quality coaches. I was a manager of UR basketball team for 2 and a half years under both Sloan Goetz and Tarrant, while I didn’t coach on the college level, I did coach for almost 20 years with distinction on the high school level.
Totally agree ✊🏼

Gcarter52 so you were Mgr last year of Carl Sloan, only year of Lou Goetz and did not Tarrant take over interim at Christmas break because first game was against Wake Forest on New Year’s Day. I bet you saw three different coaching styles. Cannot remember for sure but thought Goetz left during mid season.

Gcarter52 so you were Mgr last year of Carl Sloan, only year of Lou Goetz and did not Tarrant take over interim at Christmas break because first game was against Wake Forest on New Year’s Day. I bet you saw three different coaching styles. Cannot remember for sure but thought Goetz left during mid season.
It looks like Wake game was 11/28/1981? Which I think is Newman’s 18th birthday?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT