ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson Game #2 thread - 6pm Sat -ESPN+ (Alumni invited back)

I actually thought the student section was pretty good compared to the last few years (even before COVID). But it is nothing like it was when I was in school, when you had to get there an hour or more early for a big game if you wanted a (decent) seat.

Reactions: urfan1
I actually thought the student section was pretty good compared to the last few years (even before COVID). But it is nothing like it was when I was in school, when you had to get there an hour or more early for a big game if you wanted a (decent) seat.
Some of us love to pour cold water on a great evening and win, just relish every moment!

It died when Spider05 graduated. When I was in HS (01-05) that student section punched well above their weight. He was the rowdies Johnny Newman. Obligatory BRING BACK THE ROWDY RUN!!!
Hmm so what you are saying is it went down hill right around the same time Mooney arrived, coincidence?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Couple of observations:
1) Tarrant is 95? Wow. He looks great for 95 and from the picture I bet he could step in and coach a couple games now.
2) Great to hear about the crowd. I think the RC is perfect size post renovation. If we could win at a high level on a consistent basis no reason it should not be able to sell out regularly. Richmond is a large population, 1.1 million and no major league sports team.
3) Take the W and move on. Had to follow on the game tracker and all I could think when a certain Davidson player hit a 3 late to tie it was: Oh boy Gkiller is really going to be insufferable on the board this week 🤣

It died when Spider05 graduated. When I was in HS (01-05) that student section punched well above their weight. He was the rowdies Johnny Newman. Obligatory BRING BACK THE ROWDY RUN!!!

Back then was local & had season tix. Marginally better. There were still same issues but I liked how proactive that group was. Incl Rowdy Run. It hit but also missed when we had weaker crowds. Biggest issue was size not enough members who came to game regularly imo, again hard w our enrollment, but I think hope was it would incrementally grow year over year.

Cool it Francis. Im allowed to have an opinion. The team did not play its best game, IMFO. So shoot it out your butt hole.
Some of us care about future games as well and not just the one just played, so we analyze wins and scrutinize them, as well as losses, and this one is allowed to be scrutinized a bit. It could have easily been a loss. If Spiders won by 21 like Loyola did, there wouldn’t be much to scrutinize.
The rest of the season is the end of story, not this one game.
Holy crap. Over sensitive much.
The team played the same way against UMass too and what happened in that game Woodie?

Your original post was pretty tame & nothing wrong w it. Not very different than Mooney himself who mentioned we didn’t play that great.

And while I agree the W is most important without a doubt we also know all wins r not created equal. U have to win a certain way for NET. We r not playing for 20 win seasons we r playing for NCAA.

Crowd was good last night. Students were not there, hate to see "Sell Out" and then look in the student section and its half empty. But whatever - the rest of the crowd made up for it.

Neither team played great. We let Davidson hang around, when we had chances to put them away - and result is even with their cold shooting - they hit a timely 3 at the end to tie it. Then we need King to bail us out. I don't think he was fouled, BUT - he did the right thing - he fell down, looked like he may have even kicked his leg out - and with that type of desperation play at the end of the game - put the ref in a spot to make a call or not and luckily - the ref gave UR the call. Had we gone to OT - I would not have liked our chances cause I think momentum was shifting towards Davidson - so luckily he made the FT's and the night was over.

But as I said before - some games, if your an NCAA team - you need some luck. And we got some last night. Nothing wrong with that - your going to need it from time to time.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Just check the demographics of the student body. It's small to begin with, and a large % are foreign. The vast majority are from the northeast and New England (how many football/basketball powerhouses are from that part of the country?). It's a demographic that doesn't care much about sports. You would probably be shocked how few in-state students are actually at Richmond. Through the years the administration has tried numerous ways to encourage the students to support, free food tents, beer (before they started selling it inside), money giveaways, you name it. Free admission and walking to the stadium. Heck when I was a student we had to buy tickets (early before they ran out) and then drive to the worst venues you could imagine. We couldn't wait to get there.
It's the culture of the school where athletics are nice but mediocrity is acceptable.
Your comment around NE students not caring about sports is silly.

Yes SpiderRick also thinks we should kill Davidson because they start five white guys.

Counterpoint to both issues: Uconn. New England school. Students camped out since 8am for college GameDay game at 8pm. I'll have to check the demographics of their starting lineup.

I tend to think the lack of student interest is more generational thing. My kids all liked to go to the "big game", but not so much the others. I was like Rick, I couldn't wait to go to a Wedneday night preseason scrimmage.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Crowd was good last night. Students were not there, hate to see "Sell Out" and then look in the student section and its half empty. But whatever - the rest of the crowd made up for it.

Neither team played great. We let Davidson hang around, when we had chances to put them away - and result is even with their cold shooting - they hit a timely 3 at the end to tie it. Then we need King to bail us out. I don't think he was fouled, BUT - he did the right thing - he fell down, looked like he may have even kicked his leg out - and with that type of desperation play at the end of the game - put the ref in a spot to make a call or not and luckily - the ref gave UR the call. Had we gone to OT - I would not have liked our chances cause I think momentum was shifting towards Davidson - so luckily he made the FT's and the night was over.

But as I said before - some games, if your an NCAA team - you need some luck. And we got some last night. Nothing wrong with that - your going to need it from time to time.
Definitely was a foul, the guy got King's right hand very clearly.

What game were you watching? King was definitely fouled.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I’m irritated with officials…called Dji over before the game and told him he better not talk or say a word. WTH is that? Esp for a kid does not really say to much.
That would be more than "laughable" in the abstract. Dji is very polite, rarely says anything when hammered down in a drive to the hoop and nothing is called. The official who instigated that "chat" with Dji is more than clueless.....Have often marveled at Dji's ability to be so even keeled.........

That would be more than "laughable" in the abstract. Dji is very polite, rarely says anything when hammered down in a drive to the hoop and nothing is called. The official who instigated that "chat" with Dji is more than clueless.....Have often marveled at Dji's ability to be so even keeled.........
What precipitated that consultation from the ref?

What game were you watching? King was definitely fouled.
Watched the replay several times. If I am that ref - I don't call it. Davidson player went straight up, and Kings hand more so initiated the contact with the hand - and it was after the shot was released. Trust me - if this was the foul call the other way (we fouled Davidson) - the gym and Mooney would have erupted.

BUT - like I said - King made the ref make a call. He intiiated the contact, he put the ref in an uncomfortable spot. And I think that is the right play at the end there if your going to settle for a deep 3, cause he could have also driven the ball to the lane and tried to get to the line that way as well.

But from my viewpoint - live and watching replay when I got home, I don't think a lot of refs make that call. Even Bob Black and Beckwith were trying hard to agree with it. One angle yes, another angle not so much. But who cares - call was in our favor, and you need that type of luck in a season like this.

Watched the replay several times. If I am that ref - I don't call it. Davidson player went straight up, and Kings hand more so initiated the contact with the hand - and it was after the shot was released. Trust me - if this was the foul call the other way (we fouled Davidson) - the gym and Mooney would have erupted.

BUT - like I said - King made the ref make a call. He intiiated the contact, he put the ref in an uncomfortable spot. And I think that is the right play at the end there if your going to settle for a deep 3, cause he could have also driven the ball to the lane and tried to get to the line that way as well.

But from my viewpoint - live and watching replay when I got home, I don't think a lot of refs make that call. Even Bob Black and Beckwith were trying hard to agree with it. One angle yes, another angle not so much. But who cares - call was in our favor, and you need that type of luck in a season like this.
If you're going to make that call against Delo on a 3 point shooter (which was less a foul IMO) then you've got to make it there. There were bad calls all night, both sides. No luck involved. As you said, King forced the issue. Preparedness met opportunity.

🙏🏼appreciate that. He had to get that from his mom…bc I def talk too much during the game.

What precipitated that consultation from the ref?
Idk after they met with Neal at center court they then called Dji over and told him that. I think they got him mixed up with another player…had too. But A10 officials have been terrible all year. He certainly didn't get any calls last night…dunk attempt, the driving layup I think with his left hand where defender bodied him. But I’ll take the win…let’s get the next one on Wed. 🕷️🏀

If you're going to make that call against Delo on a 3 point shooter (which was less a foul IMO) then you've got to make it there. There were bad calls all night, both sides. No luck involved. As you said, King forced the issue. Preparedness met opportunity.
I agree - bad calls on both sides. But all I am saying - you get 100 different refs in that situation. Willing to bet the house, more than half will swallow the whistle. Especially since the score was tied and worse case, no call is made - then you just go to OT. And you let the players figure it out on the court.

One of the highlights of the game was seeing former players and Coach Tarrant. At age 95 Tarrant was doing very well. Think very highly of him as a person and a coach and glad to see him looking good!
Tarrant was a great coach, but I would say great person. A lot of his players hated him and almost none came when the dedicated the court after him.

The question is now - what is left to dedicate to Mooney. Robins Center. Tarrant Court. Queally Practice facility. Maybe the private jet to charter to away games - Mooney Jet?

Idk after they met with Neal at center court they then called Dji over and told him that. I think they got him mixed up with another player…had too. But A10 officials have been terrible all year. He certainly didn't get any calls last night…dunk attempt, the driving layup I think with his left hand where defender bodied him. But I’ll take the win…let’s get the next one on Wed. 🕷️🏀
My money was on them getting him mixed up - wonder if the talk was intended for Jordan given that he was talking quite a bit and such during 2nd half of URI game which clearly fired him and the team up regardless

Tarrant was a great coach, but I would say great person. A lot of his players hated him and almost none came when the dedicated the court after him.
Represents my perspective ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leave it at that.

Represents my perspective ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leave it at that.
But if that was the case - and I am not sure as I don't have information from former players with Tarrant - then it shows winning is the cure all.

I know players who played with JW - they all loved him. Yet - easy to poll here with fans and administration, most people affiliated with UR don't like him. I got a feeling even though his 2004 NCAA team was honored at the game last night - JW was not invited. Which is a shame in my book. Time has passed. He is responsible as the coach for one of our few NCAA teams, and even fewer at-large teams.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Idk after they met with Neal at center court they then called Dji over and told him that. I think they got him mixed up with another player…had too.
This was my thought. Dji is definitely not on the list of chronic complainers. If he is saying anything it is super well disguised. The Spiders have definitely had some players that could have warranted such “special treatment”.

Cool it Francis. Im allowed to have an opinion. The team did not play its best game, IMFO. So shoot it out your butt hole.
Some of us care about future games as well and not just the one just played, so we analyze wins and scrutinize them, as well as losses, and this one is allowed to be scrutinized a bit. It could have easily been a loss. If Spiders won by 21 like Loyola did, there wouldn’t be much to scrutinize.
The rest of the season is the end of story, not this one game.
Holy crap. Over sensitive much.
The team played the same way against UMass too and what happened in that game Woodie?
Take some of your own advice. I'm allowed to have an opinion too.

You seem pretty triggered and touchy. Try the decaf.

Take some of your own advice. I'm allowed to have an opinion too.

You seem pretty triggered and touchy. Try the decaf.
I allow you your opinion until it tries to discredit mine. Make your statements about the team all you want but trying to discredit others opinions is where you go wrong.
Great NET boost from the amazing, great, so exciting 3 pt home win against UD, right?

Reactions: gcarter52
Hopefully my only whiny post of the night but 2nd game in a row that the NE video board, primary for Section 9, is messed up and has no stats - arghhhh
FYI / someone from Spiders Athletics reached out to me after seeing this post last night which I really appreciated and said that the change to have full video on two of the screens be full video versus having stats on them was intentional versus something not working … I told him at least from Section9 the change wasn’t great since I had to break my line of sight from the game to see # of fouls and points per player etc - he said they would take this input and consider going forward …

I know all will take the W but using “great” to describe it just is not accurate. It was ugly and somewhat lucky, and the Spiders would not have beaten a good team with that performance.
Lucky? You need a visit to the optometrist. We went up 12-11 and from that point never trailed. If the other team not having a lead for the last 32 minutes of a game is lucky then i think we need to call up Miriam Webster and change the definition of the word

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT