ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson Game #2 thread - 6pm Sat -ESPN+ (Alumni invited back)

Thats ridiculous. I want the team to win as much as anyone on the board. And I stick by the post. Loyola beat a better team at home by 20+.
And we beat Loyola Chicago on the road. What exactly is your point? Just more complaining for the sake of complaining.

Reactions: Wood Hall
I know players who played with JW - they all loved him. Yet - easy to poll here with fans and administration, most people affiliated with UR don't like him. I got a feeling even though his 2004 NCAA team was honored at the game last night - JW was not invited. Which is a shame in my book. Time has passed. He is responsible as the coach for one of our few NCAA teams, and even fewer at-large teams.

Not an Ole Jer guy but agree shame if not invited. 100% deserved to be. Of course all speculation. maybe someone knows.

The question is now - what is left to dedicate to Mooney. Robins Center. Tarrant Court. Queally Practice facility. Maybe the private jet to charter to away games - Mooney Jet?

It will be Mooney Court. Tarrant was never very pc. UR will cancel Dick Tarrant and replace w Chris Mooney and not give it a second thought.

FYI / someone from Spiders Athletics reached out to me after seeing this post last night which I really appreciated and said that the change to have full video on two of the screens be full video versus having stats on them was intentional versus something not working … I told him at least from Section9 the change wasn’t great since I had to break my line of sight from the game to see # of fouls and points per player etc - he said they would take this input and consider going forward …
Glad they reached out to you. Did they actually get feedback that there was a desire for full video? Sure it is bigger, but isn’t the intent to watch the game on the floor versus the video screen? I would hope most people only glance at the boards for replays (which is another rant that I will avoid). Whereas, the stats are only on the boards….

Reactions: gospidersgo
Glad they reached out to you. Did they actually get feedback that there was a desire for full video? Sure it is bigger, but isn’t the intent to watch the game on the floor versus the video screen? I would hope most people only glance at the boards for replays (which is another rant that I will avoid). Whereas, the stats are only on the boards….
yeah not sure if they had a request to make the change or not .. hopefully, it will be back normal next game or at least next season since to your point, I only look at the monitors really for stats or possibly to see a replay

Idk after they met with Neal at center court they then called Dji over and told him that. I think they got him mixed up with another player…had too. But A10 officials have been terrible all year. He certainly didn't get any calls last night…dunk attempt, the driving layup I think with his left hand where defender bodied him. But I’ll take the win…let’s get the next one on Wed. 🕷️🏀
I sit two sections over from you and love watching you and DLo’s mom during the games. Please continue to bring the energy.

gcarter - I think very highly of Tarrant as a person and a coach. My response was to UR80s fan who was discrediting Tarrant ....which to me was a cheap shot......
I have had 2 close personal friends that were captains on the basketball team under Tarrant. I also know someone involved with the naming of the court event, who told me they had difficulty getting any of the players to come back.

Spider fan, how well do you know him?

Yes SpiderRick also thinks we should kill Davidson because they start five white guys.

Counterpoint to both issues: Uconn. New England school. Students camped out since 8am for college GameDay game at 8pm. I'll have to check the demographics of their starting lineup.

I tend to think the lack of student interest is more generational thing. My kids all liked to go to the "big game", but not so much the others. I was like Rick, I couldn't wait to go to a Wedneday night preseason scrimmage.

The "5 white guys" comment was an attempt at humor, hopefully most here realize that. My dad was a funny guy. My mom had no filter whatsoever. So this is what you end up with.

Besides, I was right wasn't I?

You are sick in your head!
Yeah - I don't see them removing Tarrant from the court. Unless he does something in his old age to get "cancelled" that is the only shot.

I guess they could name the locker room after him. But is Mooney only a few years behind Ron Atkins for longest tenured coach in any sport at UR?

And we beat Loyola Chicago on the road. What exactly is your point? Just more complaining for the sake of complaining.
Hahaha many of the members on this board are a joke. Nothing even possibly construed as negative is allowed. Why dont the mods only give membership to UR staff? Lol
As for my comment, anyone not bringing Mooney his coffee each day (better mods?) would know my point is that Loyola got the NET bump that comes with winning convincingly against an inferior opponent, while Spiders lost ground.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
another classic thread!

Skrocki at halftime was awesome. I had not heard the Peter Thomas "Why is he in the game?" story before yesterday but I do remember thinking the same thing. at the time He is originally from Kansas, right? I think I recall discussing with friends afterwards that maybe Ole Jer threw him in that game for 30s as a favor for being local because as Skrocki said, it made zero sense at the time. Skrocki had a monster game at the Phog, gets eclipsed somewhat by the Dobbins game-winner in the history of that game, but he was the reason O'Malley was so wide open for that 3 late - they double teamed him off the ball in defensive transition. He had like 22 IIRC and no one on Kansas could check him all game.

I have had 2 close personal friends that were captains on the basketball team under Tarrant. I also know someone involved with the naming of the court event, who told me they had difficulty getting any of the players to come back.

All of these years I never knew it. I talked to a friend of mines who was in school with me at the time who confirmed it. I am still in a state of shock. I apologize to you.

another classic thread!

Skrocki at halftime was awesome. I had not heard the Peter Thomas "Why is he in the game?" story before yesterday but I do remember thinking the same thing. at the time He is originally from Kansas, right? I think I recall discussing with friends afterwards that maybe Ole Jer threw him in that game for 30s as a favor for being local because as Skrocki said, it made zero sense at the time. Skrocki had a monster game at the Phog, gets eclipsed somewhat by the Dobbins game-winner in the history of that game, but he was the reason O'Malley was so wide open for that 3 late - they double teamed him off the ball in defensive transition. He had like 22 IIRC and no one on Kansas could check him all game.
That interview was so cool. Charles Barkley gave Newman and Bill Flye so much props too.

You are sick in your head!

No doubt Mr Carter. Tho tbh I’ve had exact same thought b4 after reading some of your posts!

I would certainly be against removing Coach Tarrant court. But they could dig up stuff on him if had to. UR is not going to settle for renaming a locker room for Moon.

Watched the replay several times. If I am that ref - I don't call it. Davidson player went straight up, and Kings hand more so initiated the contact with the hand - and it was after the shot was released. Trust me - if this was the foul call the other way (we fouled Davidson) - the gym and Mooney would have erupted.

BUT - like I said - King made the ref make a call. He intiiated the contact, he put the ref in an uncomfortable spot. And I think that is the right play at the end there if your going to settle for a deep 3, cause he could have also driven the ball to the lane and tried to get to the line that way as well.

But from my viewpoint - live and watching replay when I got home, I don't think a lot of refs make that call. Even Bob Black and Beckwith were trying hard to agree with it. One angle yes, another angle not so much. But who cares - call was in our favor, and you need that type of luck in a season like this.

if initiating the contact is the follow through on a jump shot, then Jordan was guilty. Your streak of idiotic comments continues.

• Haha
Reactions: GKiller

How well anyone knows someone else is very subjective.............do know him well enough to admire and like him..........being a veteran also makes me well aware of the difference of knowing someone as an equal and also how different it can be if someone is your commanding officer and you do not share their views. Every human I have ever known generally has both admirers and detractors and learned long ago to base relationships on my experiences with the individual.

The A-10 has a serious officiating problem. It seems like every game they’re front and center directly affecting the outcome
Saturday’s are the toughest days as the ACC, Big East and higher level conferences have all the officials who moonlight in the A-10 when not working their primary gig…

For example today VCU/St. Joe’s had at least a couple of officials who work in the ACC most Saturdays…

ACC officials don’t necessarily mean a well called game, but maybe a more consistent one…

I didn’t recognize any of last night’s officials…I’ll give them one thing..,they weren’t afraid to make calls they thought they saw at crucial times in the game…I.e. the Bailey charge and the King three foul…many officials would have “let em play” in both of those situations!

Go Spiders!

I'll just say this, 80s fan has attacked coaching record, SAR🤣🤣🤣, and everything else that doesn't crown Mooney. He is the definition of Mooney groper over program sicko. Tarrant was an old school coach. Does that work so much now? Probably not. This style of coach is dying off. Not going to debate the pro or con. When the coach at Rutgers stuff came to light, I was playing in a 30+ league. At our banquet we were talking about it, and the consensus was : Geez you should have seen my high school coach. Doesn't make it right. But walkon Brian Muldowney played 3 years with no compensation other than long days of practice, for Tarrant. Must not have been that bad.
Again, a couple positive comments about a 95 year old GOAT coach and 80s triggered. Keep fighting the Mooney above all fight.

How well anyone knows someone else is very subjective.............do know him well enough to admire and like him..........being a veteran also makes me well aware of the difference of knowing someone as an equal and also how different it can be if someone is your commanding officer and you do not share their views. Every human I have ever known generally has both admirers and detractors and learned long ago to base relationships on my experiences with the individual.
Yes , u have to look at from the point of reference of a certain poster.

Reactions: spider fan
another classic thread!

Yeah skrocki was great vs Kansas but also great overall. Have said b4 but even tho in Richmond HOF I think he’s been underrated.

Also he mentioned Jermaine Buckner in nba. We know of Dobbins but who knows what Buck is doing in nba? I knew long career overseas. Wiki says last playing & coaching German team. Unless I misunderstood Skrocki clearly said NBA. Buck was 1 of my favorites tho criminally underused early on at Richmond.

Bill Flye interview was very good too.

Reactions: urfan1
I'll just say this, 80s fan has attacked coaching record, SAR🤣🤣🤣, and everything else that doesn't crown Mooney. He is the definition of Mooney groper over program sicko. Tarrant was an old school coach. Does that work so much now? Probably not. This style of coach is dying off. Not going to debate the pro or con. When the coach at Rutgers stuff came to light, I was playing in a 30+ league. At our banquet we were talking about it, and the consensus was : Geez you should have seen my high school coach. Doesn't make it right. But walkon Brian Muldowney played 3 years with no compensation other than long days of practice, for Tarrant. Must not have been that bad.
Again, a couple positive comments about a 95 year old GOAT coach and 80s triggered. Keep fighting the Mooney above all fight.

Agree. Served as a Chaplain assigned to Marines. Marines get it done. Tarrant is a Marine. Their mindset doesn't appeal to everyone but their esprit de corps is unmatched and contagious.

I saw Tarrant, GK and a poster to be named later at a certain fake dive bar in New England, it was all white kids that hated college basketball with them in the parking lot. More to come.

Crapper. u saw that? Thought I took the proper precautions.

Bucknor played a few summer league games for the Raptors, but that was the extent of his NBA experience.

Yeah - I don't see them removing Tarrant from the court. Unless he does something in his old age to get "cancelled" that is the only shot.

I guess they could name the locker room after him. But is Mooney only a few years behind Ron Atkins for longest tenured coach in any sport at UR?
He has a lot of years left before he catches up to Mac Pitt, who coached baseball for 37 seasons (1935-71) and basketball for 1933-52. Both Pitt Fields at UR were named in his honor.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Bucknor played a few summer league games for the Raptors, but that was the extent of his NBA experience.

Did u hear the skrocki interview? He was referring to what guys r doing now and why they couldn’t attend. Left me the impression Buck might be on nba staff or doing scouting etc.

Sorry, misunderstood. He appears to be a player enhancement coach with the Celtics right now. Dobbins still on staff too.

Reactions: GKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT