ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson Game #2 thread - 6pm Sat -ESPN+ (Alumni invited back)

I know all will take the W but using “great” to describe it just is not accurate. It was ugly and somewhat lucky, and the Spiders would not have beaten a good team with that performance.

How was the crowd? I saw dad’s post on Twitter about the student section being empty

End result is what matters most and we got it done, but man that was an odd game. No flow to it, lots of questionable calls both ways, lots of unforced turnovers, missed free throws, etc.

Learn from it and prepare for St Louis.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
I’m irritated with officials…called Dji over before the game and told him he better not talk or say a word. WTH is that? Esp for a kid does not really say to much. Leads the conf in fg% but his layups are going off the side of back board…yeah oh k. Best thing is though…we found a way…what a charge and the guts to take it.

I’m irritated with officials…called Dji over before the game and told him he better not talk or say a word. WTH is that? Esp for a kid does not really say to much. Leads the conf in fg% but his layups are going off the side of back board…yeah oh k. Best thing is though…we found a way…what a charge and the guts to take it.
It was complete insanity in the 1st half when he drove when we had 3 seconds left on the clock after the inbound and he got assaulted and refs were thinking about their dinner after the game ..

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Davidson is a good team and they played great tonight.
As Ive said we are all happy with the win but Davidson shot 40% and 27% from 3. I wouldnt say they played “great.” It was an ugly win at home against a mediocre to poor team with only 5 league wins. I wouldnt be surprised if the Spiders NET stays at 70. Cant anyone on the board just say it like it is instead of having to put ra ra ra on every game.

The charge was the play of the game. It came at a critical time. Great defensive positioning.

Hopefully my only whiny post of the night but 2nd game in a row that the NE video board, primary for Section 9, is messed up and has no stats - arghhhh
It has been more than 2 games where the stats have not been on all the video boards. Thinking at least 2 other games where it was the opposite two compared to tonight (so at least 4 home games). Why they can’t fix the system to put the stats on all 4 is beyond me. It is a literal pain in the neck.

It has been more than 2 games where the stats have not been on all the video boards. Thinking at least 2 other games where it was the opposite two compared to tonight (so at least 4 home games). Why they can’t fix the system to put the stats on all 4 is beyond me. It is a literal pain in the neck.
yah - think I am going to write my SAF friend tomorrow .. petty a bit but annoying when I have to rotate 45 degrees to see how many fouls each team has. ..

One of the refs could have used anger management classes/training. Early in the first half "mad" with Mooney and yelling in a loud voice from the other side of the court at Mooney. Could not hear it all clearly but part of it was in the mode of you better not say anything else or to that effect. Rare for a ref to be that obviously irritated publicly.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
wow, the panic room was in full effect tonight on the late watch of the game on replay. Numerous times I was ready for UR to pull away and take a double digit lead, numerous times it didn't happen for a variety of reasons. I thought the refs were horrendous, but all the whistles DC got throughout the 2nd half turned in UR's favor in the last 75 seconds. I think the last 8 UR points were from the FT line? And maybe only 1 Spider FG made in the last 8 minutes? Rough, rough offensive showing late but I'm thankful DC gifted some easy points bc who knows if we'd have made any more shots.

Something about Davidson and the way they play offense - I can't really understand how they get so many looks right at the hoop, but they do, their guards and even their bigs manage to get downhill after they run their screen action up top. Maybe just exploiting our drop coverage, but on the other end if they're hedging like that, something more should have been open for UR. Only DLo and Dji managed to get in off the dribble on them consistently on the other end (and Harris once, actually.)

Take it and run the hell away, so glad to have this W.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
As Ive said we are all happy with the win but Davidson shot 40% and 27% from 3. I wouldnt say they played “great.” It was an ugly win at home against a mediocre to poor team with only 5 league wins. I wouldnt be surprised if the Spiders NET stays at 70. Cant anyone on the board just say it like it is instead of having to put ra ra ra on every game.
We played great defense, that is how we have been winning games all year. This team is good. I am enjoying this season and celebrating every win.

Student section been relatively same for 25 or 30 years nothing new. They’ll only come out big for a few games each season. Hard to change due to small enrollment & lack of culture. Fortunately many seem to improve once they’re alums.
It died when Spider05 graduated. When I was in HS (01-05) that student section punched well above their weight. He was the rowdies Johnny Newman. Obligatory BRING BACK THE ROWDY RUN!!!

can we use some NIL money to get like 3-4 students into UR who can motivate 500 others to attend and be engaged throughout? The new Spider (2)0(2)5? Seems like we should probably scout the SoCon for some Humanities major to transfer in for like a couple bucks and a frame for their degree.

I know all will take the W but using “great” to describe it just is not accurate. It was ugly and somewhat lucky, and the Spiders would not have beaten a good team with that performance.
You are stating an unprovable hypothetical, a waste of time and energy.

"The Spiders would not have beaten a good team with that performance." Hmmm, what if that so-called "good team" played poorly that hypothetical night, worse than Davidson did today? Would we have beaten it?

We played almost exactly the same against Dayton as we did today. Dayton is a better team than Davidson. But we beat them.

As long as there have been sports, the only outcome that matters is beating the team (or individual) you are playing in that particular game or contest. Period. Who or how you played last week, or next week, doesn't matter.

Today's opponent was Davidson. We won. We have one more win that we had when the game began, and Davidson has one more loss. End of story.

Wins are hard to get. I've never understood why it is so hard for some on this board to find fault when we do, instead of simply enjoying it. Life is hard enough, enjoy the successes.

Any win is a great win. Davidson was a very tall team. They presented match-up problems for our guards. We saw some of the same sets our other opponents have used against us. When they guard King, they leave others open. Tonight it was hunt. He saw it and took advantage. Our response was effective.

Reactions: Spiders4ever

"The Spiders would not have beaten a good team with that performance." Hmmm, what if that so-called "good team" played poorly that hypothetical night, worse than Davidson did today? Would we have beaten it?

We played almost exactly the same against Dayton as we did today. Dayton is a better team than Davidson. But we beat them.

As long as there have been sports, the only outcome that matters is beating the team (or individual) you are playing in that particular game or contest. Period. Who or how you played last week, or next week, doesn't matter.

Today's opponent was Davidson. We won. We have one more win that we had when the game began, and Davidson has one more loss. End of story.
Well reasoned. We took what they gave us. We won't blow teams out. This team has good chemistry and knows how to win.

Wins are hard to get. I've never understood why it is so hard for some on this board to find fault when we do, instead of simply enjoying it. Life is hard enough, enjoy the successes.
Cool it Francis. Im allowed to have an opinion. The team did not play its best game, IMFO. So shoot it out your butt hole.
Some of us care about future games as well and not just the one just played, so we analyze wins and scrutinize them, as well as losses, and this one is allowed to be scrutinized a bit. It could have easily been a loss. If Spiders won by 21 like Loyola did, there wouldn’t be much to scrutinize.
The rest of the season is the end of story, not this one game.
Holy crap. Over sensitive much.
The team played the same way against UMass too and what happened in that game Woodie?

Reactions: SpiderRick
Crowd was solid…student section is frustrating to me.
Just check the demographics of the student body. It's small to begin with, and a large % are foreign. The vast majority are from the northeast and New England (how many football/basketball powerhouses are from that part of the country?). It's a demographic that doesn't care much about sports. You would probably be shocked how few in-state students are actually at Richmond. Through the years the administration has tried numerous ways to encourage the students to support, free food tents, beer (before they started selling it inside), money giveaways, you name it. Free admission and walking to the stadium. Heck when I was a student we had to buy tickets (early before they ran out) and then drive to the worst venues you could imagine. We couldn't wait to get there.
It's the culture of the school where athletics are nice but mediocrity is acceptable.

Hey lurker, I knew that. I think most here realize that the second part of my statement was about PAST teams, not this one. Actually my post was more about Mooney than the players.

I know you knew. Past teams have nothing to do with this year. Closing out a game is an art. You have to make the right decisions, get stops, work the clock, make FTs, grab rebounds, etc. If you don't do one of those (We did them all last night), it puts the W in peril. Sometimes its the players, not alway the coach.

Reactions: SpiderRick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT