ADVERTISEMENT

Curious

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
05 and I have numbers and information others don't have about the number of people involved with the boards. Some like to say this represents only a very small group, as small as 20 (way off of course). But the question is about your friends and acquaintances that do NOT frequent these boards.

Query: How do the board comments compare to those you hear from those NOT on the boards? Remember the boards don't speak with one voice, so try not to focus on a group, or even a few "loud" posters in you comments. Try to look to the tenor of the the conversations.

05 and I have numbers and information others don't have about the number of people involved with the boards. Some like to say this represents only a very small group, as small as 20 (way off of course). But the question is about your friends and acquaintances that do NOT frequent these boards.

Query: How do the board comments compare to those you hear from those NOT on the boards? Remember the boards don't speak with one voice, so try not to focus on a group, or even a few "loud" posters in you comments. Try to look to the tenor of the the conversations.
Board feels 90/10 to the negative side, friends are 50/50

The opinion of my group of friend is pretty well reflected by what is posted here. I would say the majority of them are more negative about the basketball program than I am.

The opinion of my group of friend is pretty well reflected by what is posted here. I would say the majority of them are more negative about the basketball program than I am.
same. I’m frustrated as hell, but my friends are pissed

My friends that I went to school with (admittedly I am poor staying in communication) were down on Mooney from day 1. A brief respite when he got us to NCAA's but in general have never been fans of his. I was a big supporter for years and years, but hoped he would continue to develop into a JB or Tarrant level coach. Never saw this happen and feel he has regressed or just stayed the same (if you are not improving, you are losing ground) and am totally off the bandwagon now. I had a funny feeling he had hit his ceiling after the 2nd NCAA appearance, telling people I thought we might be better if he did leave for Ga Tech. We were very attractive destination at that point. Instead we have been slogging along, with some big wins like Cal that got us excited, only to fade at the end. My VCU brethren have loved that sucker.

Reactions: iSpider
Most people I know are disappointed with the results this year but believe the future is bright. All believe in our coaches.

My non-board friends largely are upset, probably 80-20 or so. This week alone, I had conversations with an employee who is in his 60s (UR alum) and a business acquaintance a little younger, both are very upset. Three professors I have talked with recently are similarly upset. I do have a few friends who are taking the long position, though.

My friends are more connected than I am to basketball, and they are not as negative about Mooney as the general tone of the board.

My friends are less connected than I am to football, and are not as confident as I am about the future of the program.

Hmm.

I also never talk about this board with them, so you might be one of them. :)

Ya my dad for has never liked Mooney really since he has been at UR. I remember back in like 2008/2009 he and his friends all wanted Mooney gone and that was just a few years into his tenure. Then we went to the tournament two years in a row and we were happy. Now it is way past due for him to be gone.

I talk to a decent number of Spider fans that aren't affiliated with this board, including some co-workers that are alumni. ALL of them are disgusted with the program, and a large majority are ready for a change NOW.

The reality is that there's only a small % of fans that are doing the talking thru social media, FMM, etc. And the out of touch Athl Dept takes that as just a couple of angry "trolls" causing mischief. Maybe the Athl Dept should spend some time getting to know their fanbase.

Last edited:
I talk to a decent number of Spider fans that aren't affiliated with this board, including some co-workers that are alumni. ALL of them are disgusted with the program, and a large majority are ready for a change NOW.

The reality is that there's only a small % of fans that are doing the talking thru social media, FMM, etc. And the out of touch Athl Dept takes that as just a couple of angry "trolls" causing mischief. The Athl Dept doesnt know their fanbase. The sentiment from that small sampling is representative of the larger group.
This is why I think a town hall meeting at the conclusion of the season is necessary. I'm dead serious let's organize this and make it a thing. We as fans have power and if we get a solid group from here and advertise it to people not on this board I think we can make this happen. It will give the athletic department the chance to know that we are unhappy as a fan base and that it's not just a few angry trolls causing mischief. Let's use our power as fans and do something! This meeting should happen next week when I am home on spring break.

My friends (21-23 year olds) who have interest in the program really don't like him as a coach either.

Here's several scenarios. I'm not sure which one (or combination of them) applies to us of why I think nothing has happened with regards to making changes to our program.

1. School is out of touch with average fans and is blissfully unaware that the masses want some type of change

2. The fans are not doing a good job of conveying their displeasure to the school

3. People are still going to games (for very cheap mind you) and the school uses that as a reason to justify that our program is fine and doesn't need a change.

4. Most fans don't really care about how we do in basketball and are okay with Mooney/fans care about how we do but still believe Mooney is the answer.

5. School would be willing to make a coaching change but no one wants to buy Mooney out

6. Average fans want a change but the big donors do not so Mooney is staying.

7. School couldn't care less about how we perform and is satisfied with Mooney being a nice guy and running a clean program

Who knows what it is. All I know is that watching our inability to go for any offensive rebounds, our lack of presence in the low block ok offense and defense, and Mooney's inability to make any adaptations to his offensive scheme is going to result in more of the same. Don't get me wrong, I will always root for my alma mater that I care for deeply, but it gets harder and harder for me to be excited for the games as the season(s) go by

I’ve been surprised over the years about the amount of random UR folks that I’ve talked to that have keyed on negative things about Mooney that we talk about on here - biggest thing being rebounding

When I was a senior Mooney took us to the sweet 16. A memory like that is hard to overcome, it was perhaps the most successful season in Richmond basketball history. At least one of my friends is very upset with Mooney, but he been upset with Mooney for years. Most of my friends are not upset, or at least not upset enough to let me know about it.

I’ve just read through this list and virtually every “objective” opinion mirrors each poster’s general view on Mooney and/or the program. So I don’t know that I’d bet Ullas ranch or any other one on the prevailing winds here.

I know some Richmond fans that are conceived that we will be better next year. Since we have more experience coming back. I still remember when we had Kendall Anythony he was our senior even back in those years we had terrible losses. I still havent gotten over the Northeastern at home several years ago. My only problem is Mooney never calls enough timeout. when he does call a timeout it makes no sense at all.

I just visited my son, who is an alum of UR. He lives with 4 other former spiders. I brought up the state of the bb team and all of them said they weren't paying attention at all since the program is so bad and that Mooney sucks and has to go. I think thats the sentiment of most "sports fans" who care about cbball who are supporters of UR.

I know some Richmond fans that are conceived that we will be better next year. Since we have more experience coming back. I still remember when we had Kendall Anythony he was our senior even back in those years we had terrible losses. I still havent gotten over the Northeastern at home several years ago. My only problem is Mooney never calls enough timeout. when he does call a timeout it makes no sense
I just visited my son, who is an alum of UR. He lives with 4 other former spiders. I brought up the state of the bb team and all of them said they weren't paying attention at all since the program is so bad and that Mooney sucks and has to go. I think thats the sentiment of most "sports fans" who care about cbball who are supporters of UR.
my dad who used to love going to UR basketball games hates going to them now. He is tired of Mooney and has been for a while. He has only gone to the two vcu games this year which surprisingly we won both. He still goes to plenty of basketball games though except they are a lot of UVA games and occasionally Tech games. Even when I was home for Christmas break we didn't go to any UR games or even thing about going.

Last game we attended was LaSalle in 2014 and seated next to us were 35-40yo couple with 2 sons 8-10 yo. Man said they had season tickets since boys were able to go to games without being carried.

Talked most of the game about the idea that UR needed a change from CM. The wife even realized those few decisions in the game by CM that had you scratching your head. And the Spiders won the game handedly when TA went off.

Also my son who plays fantasy NFL, NBA, and MLB (and of course March Madness pools) has completely lost interest in UR b-ball. Difficult to discuss with friends when the comeback is "yea but when did you last go the tourney?" It's either get a bid or bust when UR joined the A10!

Some like to say this represents only a very small group, as small as 20 (way off of course). But the question is about your friends and acquaintances that do NOT frequent these boards.

I gave my answer from a small sample size of 2. My question Fan1 is what is the casual number, like 40-60? 90-110? 150-170?

Those I interact with most are very frustrated, pointing out many of the same issues we've discussed here. In fact several of the people I have gone to games with for years have missed multiple games this year. These are people that would plan their entire winter around the schedule to make sure they didn't miss a game. Of course they usually give the tickets to a young family so the end result is probably same attendance and more food/merch sales.

All that being said, I've asked if anyone is planning to drop their season tickets and haven't found one yet that is planning to. Including me...

Side note to urfan1 and 05 - the old board used to show how many posters were logged in/active. It was kind of interesting to follow because you could see when interest peaked and how many people were involved. I seem to remember 200-300 logged in at times during and after big games. Is that not an option with the current site?

Side note to urfan1 and 05 - the old board used to show how many posters were logged in/active. It was kind of interesting to follow because you could see when interest peaked and how many people were involved. I seem to remember 200-300 logged in at times during and after big games. Is that not an option with the current site?
front page lower right 35 at 7:25 this am

I would add we have not had the visits from other teams fans in such great numbers, more pure UR fans

front page lower right 35 at 7:25 this am

Thanks, looks like I can only see it on a PC though, can't find it on my phone where I'm usually checking the message board.

One more question - it says 12 members, 32 guests and 11 robots currently online?!

Robots are like Google’s search engine indexing the site.

My friends, fraternity brothers, are ready to storm the Bastile
So far it’s been “Let them eat cake”

Spider Sportsline at Joe’s Inn tonight. Bryce and AJ will be the players. I am sure Bob will take questions from the fans. LMAO!!!

Last edited:
Went golfing on Saturday with a few friends and one of my buddies came out of nowhere and said "there's no way you guys can keep that coach of yours after a season like this right?" And that was unprovoked from someone who has no ties or knowledge of the program. He did say he's been winning money betting against them. He observed he's lost the players and the product is not competitive.

A year or two ago, I would say it was probably 50-50 with Mooney. I can't think of a single person now, who thinks Mooney is the answer. I have a number of friends who follow other schools who literally love to throw it my face whenever they can that Mooney is our coach.

As for our attendance. It is so good because you can get free tickets pretty much anytime. Sign your kids up for the kids club and they can go for free anytime and then buy yourself/spouse, $5 tickets and you can take the whole family out for $10. You literally cannot do anything cheaper for family entertainment in the area.

Most people I know are disappointed with the results this year but believe the future is bright. All believe in our coaches.
Ulla, come on....'all believe in our coaches' ......it is obvious that is not true.

My conversations with others are roughly 50/50 between generally satisfied with the direction of the program and think this year is a blip and concerned with the future due to what they see as the same issues over and over. I don't regularly speak with anyone who is a "fire Mooney" guy. I think it would be very interesting to know the average age and experience with UR athletics between the "fire Mooney" crowd and the more patient crowd. I strongly suspect the "fire Mooney" group is under 40. Also, an interesting story from a good VCU friend of mine who is very connected to their program. He said that both Shaka and Wade told him that CM is without question a very good coach, they are surprised that some of our fans are unhappy (this year obviously not included), and they think that generally speaking there are some challenges that UR has as a program that they feel makes it tougher to win consistently. I share this expecting to get some flack but I think it is interesting to hear - unsolicited - that other coaches think CM is good and our team is difficult to prepare for. By the way, Wade said he thought the St Bonny coach was the best in the conference.

My conversations with others are roughly 50/50 between generally satisfied with the direction of the program and think this year is a blip and concerned with the future due to what they see as the same issues over and over. I don't regularly speak with anyone who is a "fire Mooney" guy. I think it would be very interesting to know the average age and experience with UR athletics between the "fire Mooney" crowd and the more patient crowd. I strongly suspect the "fire Mooney" group is under 40. Also, an interesting story from a good VCU friend of mine who is very connected to their program. He said that both Shaka and Wade told him that CM is without question a very good coach, they are surprised that some of our fans are unhappy (this year obviously not included), and they think that generally speaking there are some challenges that UR has as a program that they feel makes it tougher to win consistently. I share this expecting to get some flack but I think it is interesting to hear - unsolicited - that other coaches think CM is good and our team is difficult to prepare for. By the way, Wade said he thought the St Bonny coach was the best in the conference.
This is great, of course Wade and Shaka wanted Mooney to stay. That is coachspeak. You could Google the internet for 100 years to find one coach saying another is not good. I am in my 40's and think Mooney is mediocre at best. If if is the so called restrictions, then he is scared to address them for fear of losing his comfy job. I spoke to a former D1 coach and ACC assistant and he was not impressed with Mooney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT