ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Back National Championship Team

spiderjpo

Assistant Coach
Mar 11, 2004
Glad we are honoring our National Championship Team Saturday. What a great run that team went on after that JMU loss. They not only made a great run but finished the deal as Champions. So many memories made along the way. I got to share that playoff run with both my brothers and many more family and friends in Chattanooga. Three brothers, all UR alumni, ventured to all playoff games that year including Northen Iowa where we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with "The Drive". All our families then traveled to Chattanooga for 3 days and made memories I will cherish forever. So many proud Spider fans and alumni got together for that Championship Game which included a great Spider Walk before the game. I am amazed how many of our current players know very little about this team. With Huesman on the staff you would think he would at least expose them to some of the glory days. He said today on his radio show that none of that team would even get a chance to speak with the current team this weekend due to lack of time. What a loss not to build off those great memories and focus on the run that team made to close out the year. Thanks 2008 Spiders. We will never forget those memories you created to get the Spiders to the top of FCS football.

2008 NCAA DIVISION-I CHAMPIONSHIP GAME #7 Richmond 24, #5 Montana 7 December 19, 2008 Finley Stadium (17,823) • Chattanooga, Tenn.
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Richmond coach Mike London heard talk from Montana fans expecting an easy national championship win. After all, his Spiders lost three of their first seven games. Turns out it was Richmond that got the easy win. Eric Ward caught a touchdown pass and threw for another score, Josh Vaughan ran for 162 yards and a touchdown and the Spiders dominated Montana 24-7 on Friday night for the school’s first Football Championship Subdivision national championship. “I guess the only ones who believed we could do this thing were the people inside the Richmond program,” said London, in his first season in charge at his alma mater. The team held a players-only meeting on Oct. 12 after a loss to James Madison and pledged not to give up on making a playoff run. Richmond (13-3) won its next eight games behind the calm coaching of London, who replaced Dave Clawson after two seasons as defensive coordinator at Virginia. The Spiders went on to upset defending national champion Appalachian State in the playoff quarterfinals and hung on to beat Northern Iowa before toppling two-time national champion Montana. A crowd of mostly Richmond fans rushed the field in Chattanooga, surrounding the players as they accepted the championship trophy. The Grizzlies (14-2), who lost the 2004 championship to James Madison and were making their fifth trip to the title game, found themselves in a 21-0 hole by halftime. “We picked a really bad day not to show up,” Montana safety Colt Anderson said. Ward struck first when he pitched the ball to fullback John Crone just a few minutes into the game. The quarterback took off toward the end zone and Crone hit him from 23 yards out -- his first touchdown pass and Ward’s first touchdown reception. “I began giggling when it was called, because I never thought we would run it,” Crone said. “It happened in slow motion and when I saw him open, I knew I had to hit him or I would never hear the end of it.” Montana moved quickly downfield in an attempt to answer, but the drive stalled at the 11 and Brody McKnight missed a 34-year field goal attempt. Little would go right for the Grizzlies the rest of the half. Cole Bergquist threw a 15-yard pass to Steven Pfahler deep in Montana territory, but a penalty for an illegal block erased the play and another drive stalled. Richmond took over at the Montana 34 and, three players later, Vaughan bounced a run outside and scored from 5 yards out to make it 14-0 with 11:29 left in the first half. Ward’s 13-yard touchdown pass to Garrett Wilkins with 2:13 to go before halftime capped a 12-play, 75-yard drive that took up nearly 7 minutes. Bergquist was sacked seven times in the game, with Lawrence Sidbury responsible for four of them. The Montana quarterback completed 19 of 36 passes for 267 yards and an interception. “We did nothing special,” Sidbury said. “We just did what we are coached to do. We were able to get pressure on them.” Marc Mariani caught seven passes for 172 yards for the Grizzlies. Montana didn’t reach the end zone until 11:56 left in the game, when Chase Reynolds plowed in from 4 yards out. But Eric McBride picked off Bergquist moments later, and Brian Radford’s 39-yard field goal with 6:54 left in the game dashed any hopes of a Montana comeback. “The did a really nice job, doing to us what we’ve been doing to people we’ve played lately,” Montana coach Bobby Hauck said. “They gave a great effort. They got out to a good start and held on. They played great defense and did’t let us back in the game.”
SCORING SUMMARY 1 2 3 4 Final Montana (14-2) 0 0 0 7 7 Richmond (13-3) 7 14 0 3 24 09:02 (1st) UR - Eric Ward 23 yd pass from John Crone (Andrew Howard kick) 11:29 (2nd) UR - Josh Vaughan 5 yd run (Andrew Howard kick) 02:13 (2nd) UR - Garrett Wilkins 13 yd pass from Eric Ward (Andrew Howard kick) 11:56 (4th)UM - Chase Reynolds 4 yd run (Brody McKnight kick) 06:54 (4th) UR - Brian Radford 39 yd field goal
INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS RICHMOND Rushing (Att-Yds): Vaughan 23-162--1TD; Ward 12-46; Crone 2-4; TEAM 2-minus 4. Passing (Comp-Att-Int-Yds): Ward 12-18-0-96; Crone 1-1-0-23. Receiving (Rec-Yds): Gray 6-44; Grayson 2-25; Ward 1-23-1TD; Wilkins 1-13-1TD; Crone 1-7; Vaughan 1-4; Mitchell 1-3. Interceptions (No-Yds): McBride 1-21.

That was the Game, here is The Drive:

Richmond started the winning drive at its own 38 with 1:44 remaining and no timeouts left. Ward completed six passes in the march, including a 4-yarder to Shawn White on fourth-and-2 at the UNI 26 -- White’s only catch of the game. Two plays later, Ward hit Stewart in the end zone.
Ward also threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Grayson and scored on a 1-yard sneak that drew the Spiders to 20-14 with 11:16 left. He finished 28-of-35 for a career-high 280 yards and no interceptions. Pat Grace’s two third-quarter touchdown passes helped the Panthers build their 20-7 lead, but after stopping the Spiders on fourth-and-1 with 2:13 to play, they couldn’t come up with another big stop in the final drive. Grace was 19-of-28 for 224 yards, including touchdown passes of 4 yards to Ryan Mahaffey and 10 yards to Jarred Herring. But Grace overthrew Herring and Schuylar Oordt on what would have been sure touchdowns and dropped a throwback pass when he had four blockers and an open field in front of him. The Panthers stalled four times on good drives and had to settle for Billy Hallgren’s field-goal attempts. Hallgren connected from 35 and 25 yards, but missed from 42 and 51 yards. Late in the game, when Northern Iowa had a chance to run out the clock, Farley went conservative on third-and-8 at his own 44. Grace ran for 2 yards, the Panthers punted and Derek Hatcher returned it 26 yards, giving the Spiders decent field position for their winning drive.

Thanks SpiderJPO and brother, great post!
For any of you that follow our message board, now you see why SpiderJPO and I, UR79&Peanuts are so passionate about UR Football. We have been to and experienced the Mountaintop and want to do it again. Moo Da Chains Saturday to keep it going 🕷️🕸️🏈

In honor of The Peanut Gang and all of the terrific Spiders fans in Chattanooga for the 2008 Championship.

amateur road trip video of unmatched Spiders fellowship and camaraderie...

thanks to the players and coaches for earning the unforgettable Championship...

Go Spiders!

What a GREAT night, saw myself and many other familiar Spider fans in the video. The Spider walk was beyond awesome.
agree!...had never seen anything before, or since, like that Spider Walk before the Championship Game...watching the players and coaches walk by, when it was over I felt like there was no way we could lose the game!

Go Spiders!

Before a huge FB game, lots of posts on Spider basketball over a moribund program. Don't get it.

Going no where fast there, guess actually slowly since it has been 18 years of average if not below average performance.

This is how you win in the crunch. Seldom seem in BB other than 2022.

The Drive.

Go Spiders!

“ Before a huge FB game, lots of posts on Spider basketball over a moribund program. Don't get it. ”

It’s been that way for years.Almost laughable.Different breed of poster on round ball side.

Reactions: DTSpider
Gotta score points today. In honor of our National Championship Team, why not pull the Crone to Ward trick play that put us up 7-0 early in the Championship Game?

Let's get this done today. Go Spiders!

Oh, BTW. KEs will be in one of the red tents in front of the score board today. If have the inclination, drop by and ask for Dewey or the Champ and someone will nab me to greet you. Love to meet some of my ethernet buddies.

Gotta score points today. In honor of our National Championship Team, why not pull the Crone to Ward trick play that put us up 7-0 early in the Championship Game?

Let's get this done today. Go Spiders!

Oh, BTW. KEs will be in one of the red tents in front of the score board today. If have the inclination, drop by and ask for Dewey or the Champ and someone will nab me to greet you. Love to meet some of my ethernet buddies.
We need a fullback like Crone first. I was in Chattanooga in 2008 with my fellow 76ers and was a fun time. Remember
being in low 50s and Montana fans walking around in T-shirts and shorts. Those temps were balmy for them.

Hear ya. We rely on our QB now to be our fullback. Scares the hell out of me. Mancuso getting injured in the VT game cost us a playoff bid IMO.

Reactions: urfan1
Hear ya. We rely on our QB now to be our fullback. Scares the hell out of me. Mancuso getting injured in the VT game cost us a playoff bid IMO.
The other thing I miss KE is a big powerful RB like Jack Vaughn and Tim Hightower and Gaskins. Seldom did they go down on the first hit. Of course Barty Smith from the 70s was the best FB to grace UR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT