ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Saw a blurb in the paper about De'Monte Buckingham, 6'3 guard out of Henrico, that said his decision was basically down between VCU and Richmond and that he was waiting to see who VCU named as their next head coach before making his final decision (he also said, he would be open to going to Texas with Shaka). I think Shaka has a much deeper pool to fish in now, so I doubt that Shaka gives the kid a second though now that he is at Texas.

My hope is our coaching staff is taking this time of tumult at VCU to stress the stability of our program. Admittedly, I have yet to see him play but he looks like he would be a real good get for us.

I didn't read the article but there's part of me that's not a huge fan of 'waiting to see who the RPI coach is'. Wouldn't that imply that he'd go there, all things equal?

If he would follow Shaka to Texas now, why didn't he just commit to RPI 2 weeks ago?

I read the article and thought it was his way of saying he was not bailing ship on VCU now that they lost there coach. VCU and Richmond were his top 2 choices and simply because Shaka left didn't mean that he was going to stop considering VCU. Also said he would consider Texas if Shaka offered him down there.

I took it as the standard and appropriate answer a recruit should give when media is asking questions like this. With that said, there is a power vacuum at VCU right now, we should be trying to take advantage of that.

Would be a huge get for us, for several reasons. We need to re-open the RVA pipeline. He comes from a program that doesn't have a traditional UR connection. Would help us gain some leverage in taking back the city a bit.

The downside is that Henrico plays a very similar style to what VCU plays. So I'd guess if their new coach keeps the pressing style intact, he may lean that direction. But we'll see. Would love to have him as a Spider.

Kenny Foster comes to mind. Kenny and Alan Bristow are the best to come out of Henrico High School. Too bad the didn't have the three-pointer when Foster played, that kid could shoot from way out..............

Eight, many former Henrico athletes are Spider grads, one that posts here

I don't really like being someone's fall back choice. Kinda like Shaka being Texas' third choice. We should tell him we are taking the first offer that commits so if he wants to wait he could be settling for his third place choice......or worse.

Jasmonn Coleman, was a warrior as well, different sport but a great guy and still at UR. he could close the deal for CM.

Wasn't Carl Wood, All American Track from Henrico HS? I know he was local Richmond, but Henrico seems to fit my memory.

I didn't realize we seemed to be in the final two until that article either. A little bit of a litmus test on our recruiting, can we beat out an in flux VCU for a stud local recruit? 2016 is a big class. Still interested to see what we do with the two additional slots that opened.

With Julius Johnson coming in this fall, not sure how much time Buckingham would get.

UR and VCU couldn't be more different schools. Don't really believe a player would be torn between the two. Buckingham seems a VCU prospect, but his parents may like UR, academically. At any rate, no reason to make a final decision until VCU selects a coach. Assuming a decent selection, De'Monte will be a Ram. I think I've seen this movie before.

TB, De'Monte has been quoted the academics at Richmond were a drawing factor to him

TB, I agree. If he is having a difficult time deciding between UR and VCU, he must be academically challenged.

This post was edited on 4/6 8:04 PM by Ulla1

Guys, I understand but you're wearing your red & blue glasses -- don't diss the kid he would be a GREAT get

I'm not dissing anyone. You can get a good education at VCU as well. It's just the two schools offer very different opportunities. Plus, add the comment, that he would follow Shaka to Texas. It just seems obvious that he's a VCU prospect.

I'd rather see us, sign a prospect, who clearly has UR as his preferred designation.

^^I hear you. That said, Diekvoss committed to us right after his visit. Coming to UR was a no brainer for Chandler.

Just sayin'.

Honestly, until/if Mr. Buckingham signs elsewhere, the only stuff I intend to write on this board about his is that we love him, our offense is one that features guards, and that the 30-second clock that will likely be approved in April means that guards get more tired and there is more playing time for the guards working their way up the ladder. I know people who know the young man - and they are more than just impressed.

Any recruit who designated us at there top choice, I would frankly question. We want to get guys who are being recruited and sought after by other good programs. The fact that De'monte with the talent that he has, has basically committed to staying in his hometown to play for one of the two schools is commendable.

Further, the fact that he is just not bailing on VCU after they lost there coach is also commendable in my opinion. Yeah, of course we want him to bail on VCU, but it also says he is being deliberative about his decision.

Oh, good grief. This is a local kid, he knows the two schools well. He knows the players well, and the style of play (at least under Shaka). The only unknown is, who will be the next coach at VCU. I'm' sure this message board is not going to be part of the decision process.

Originally posted by 97spiderfan:

Any recruit who designated us at there top choice, I would frankly question.
This is the one of the most ridiculous things posted on the board, and that is saying something. Recruits always go to the school that they view as their top choice. Nobody looks at their choices and says "I really like option 1 more than option 2, but I am going to choose option 2 anyway!"

This post was edited on 4/7 1:17 AM by fan2011

I agree with you 2011. I hope that was a tongue in cheek statement. The kids are looking out for their best interest just like the school is. They both want the best fit. Often the kid doesn't get an offer from their "first" choice.

Alright that was poorly worded on my part. What I meant to say, any recruit where we are their only option or their best option, I would question. It was in response to TB who said why would we shouldn't be too hot on Buckingham because he has other high level options and is considering those options. That is exactly the reason we should be after him.

we're in the discussion, like with AW years ago, because of location. Chances are better without Smart around, but sounds like the kid is still trying to figure out which is his best fit. end of the day, with the schools being so different it'll come down to fit more the coach, I think. i'm sure he knows and plays pickup with kids on both teams already.

agree 97...Buckingham is apparently a potential recruit who could come in ready to push for playing time at the A-10 level...

if we want to consistently compete for A-10 Championships and NCAA at-larges we need guys ready to make meaningful contributions as true freshmen...most often the best way to measure this is by who else has offered...

I hope his knee rehab is going well and that we keep players with his type of profile at the top of our recruiting targets...

hoping for no more multiple red shirt years and short rotations...

Go Spiders!

The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page

Buckingham is a great chance for us to make a big local splash. We need to close the deal on this one and get him on board.

typically, really good, local guys, have the acc schools lined up recruiting them. why not with these two local guards? am not there, are they really "that" good or are they just good "locally"? just asking...

both currently ranked top 150 on rivals. last 150 guy we landed was Merritt, I think.
I believe in both cases supposedly word got out that they'll probably stay local so not worth the time to recruit. even the big boys have their recruiting filters and narrow their target lists.

Merritt was a top 100. I actually think the knee injury will help us - some of the bigger names will cool to him and leave him alone. If our staff continues to show him love as he rehabs he'll remember. From all accounts he's a bright young man.

Merritt's final rivals ranking was 118. other services may have ranked him higher.

really do not look at ratings, or at least put any value on them, who is recruiting a young man speaks much louder.

Ratings are usually given based on who is recruiting the prospect. A 2 star player can get offered by Duke and will be a 4 star tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT