ADVERTISEMENT

Beat VCU

Spiders had no legit shot at Dayton. VCU is a different story. I don't really like the individual match-ups versus VCU, but they are not even close to the Flyers.

Home game likely gives VCU an edge, but far from a sure thing. Would like the Spider chances better if Blake Francis was available.

Reactions: SpiderK
Spiders had no legit shot at Dayton. VCU is a different story. I don't really like the individual match-ups versus VCU, but they are not even close to the Flyers.

Home game likely gives VCU an edge, but far from a sure thing. Would like the Spider chances better if Blake Francis was available.
Finally, we get a game where both our teams are really good. Been waiting for this for several years.

Reactions: KWeaver and Vcewe

Wish Blake was playing too. We are shaky at times bringing the ball up without him. I would also rethink Nick inbounding the ball. He is indecisive and too quick to call timeouts.

Reactions: KWeaver
That was a brutal error. I guess it happens to even the Fab5 but I don’t understand how you don’t remind everyone that you’re out of timeouts.

Reactions: Eight Legger
That was a brutal error. I guess it happens to even the Fab5 but I don’t understand how you don’t remind everyone that you’re out of timeouts.

It’s happened more than once, a few times against that team we play Tuesday

It’s happened more than once, a few times against that team we play Tuesday
I don’t recall us ever calling a timeout when we didn’t have one but I also smoke a lot of peyote.

I recall the six men on the floor incident though if that’s what you’re referencing. Also not acceptable.

I recall OT against VCU in Pittsburgh. 6 men on the court was the other thing I was thinking of.

Nick calls timeout often in that position. We just didn’t have one.

I recall OT against VCU in Pittsburgh. 6 men on the court was the other thing I was thinking of.
The 6 men was when the game was in question, I thought the no OT was after the game was decided?

I think players are always reminded of timeouts. Isn't it possible that they were reminded as usual and Nick just slipped up in the heat of the moment?
I mean he's standing right in front of the bench. They should have been yelling at him as the seconds were ticking away "WE HAVE NO TIMEOUTS!"

Reactions: KWeaver
I mean he's standing right in front of the bench. They should have been yelling at him as the seconds were ticking away "WE HAVE NO TIMEOUTS!"

The last thing you want to do is yell no more timeouts. Then, he might only hear time out, time out, and call timeout. I think they told the players during the time out. You obviously don't. No problem. We can just disagree.

Ok, well then yell "GET IT INBOUNDS!" Something. I realized it didn't cost us the game or anything, but still.

It's like when a guy in football turns upfield and stays in bounds when he should have run out of bounds to stop the clock. It's not like he wasn't coached to go out of bounds. Things happen in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: gcarter52
Time for my annual post...

1t4f5d.jpg

I think players are always reminded of timeouts. Isn't it possible that they were reminded as usual and Nick just slipped up in the heat of the moment?
It’s possible he forgot and it’s also possible he wasn’t reminded. Neither is acceptable.

Amending this post to say, neither is particularly acceptable if you expect to beat top competition. Crap happens, but can’t happen in big games where you have a narrow path to victory.

Last edited:
It’s possible he forgot and it’s also possible he wasn’t reminded. Neither is acceptable.

Amending this post to say, neither is particularly acceptable if you expect to beat top competition. Crap happens, but can’t happen in big games where you have a narrow path to victory.

As others have pointed out, we have like 8 dudes in suits standing there during the timeout, you think one of them would have reminder the inbounder of the ball that we didn't have any left. It is inexcusable. You simply can not shoot yourself in the foot like that in a game of that magnitude and say "oops my bad".

Sherod played a hell of a game, I don't blame him for that. That is a coaching mistake for not drilling that into this head leaving the timeout.

I think the coaches did make the team aware that there were no timeouts based on the reactions of basically everyone on the bench when Nick called the timeout as well as Nick’s face when he turned back to the bench. However, I wasn’t in the huddle and no one asked Nick after the game. Got to love the speculation.

I think the coaches did make the team aware that there were no timeouts based on the reactions of basically everyone on the bench when Nick called the timeout as well as Nick’s face when he turned back to the bench. However, I wasn’t in the huddle and no one asked Nick after the game. Got to love the speculation.

As a Coach this is a no win situation. If you told the kid in the huddle (in this case one of your veteran leaders) and he called it anyway you're not going to throw him under the bus after the game and if you didn't tell him then you and your staff look bad. Only way to make it "better" is to have the guys uber prepared and ready for VCU tomorrow night and the rest of the season.

How big is a win tomorrow @ VCU? We own the head-to-head tiebreaker on URI. VCU does not. The schedules are interesting between our 2 matchups with VCU.
Richmond schedule up to 2/15:
vs GW
@ Fordham
@ La Salle

VCU schedule up to 2/15:
@ URI
vs Davidson
vs George Mason

VCU have already lost once to Rhode Island. If we can win tomorrow night, our schedule really favors our chances of picking up 3 wins before we meet VCU again. Lets bury the Rams!

We should focus on tomorrow night, but if I'm looking ahead I'm looking at 7 games.

UR next 7 (Not Chronological)
Home:
GW
GMU
VCU
Away:
Fordham
LaSalle
Bonnies
VCU

VCU next 7
Home:
GMU
Davidson
UR
Dayton

Away:
UR
URI
SLU

They have some serious opportunities to move up...or down.

Last edited:
Best case scenario for the A-10:

- we sweep VCU
- URI beats Dayton and VCU
- VCU beats Dayton and St. Louis
- St. Louis beats URI and Dayton

Assuming wins from the rest of the games from these 5, A-10 gets 5 teams into the tourney.

We should focus on tomorrow night, but if I'm looking ahead I'm looking at 7 games.

UR next 7 (Not Chronological)
Home:
GW
GMU
VCU
Away:
Fordham
LaSalle
Bonnies
VCU

VCU next 7
Home:
GMU
Davidson
UR
Dayton
Away:
UR
URI
SLU

They have some serious opportunities to move up...or down.

And we have opportunities to move way way down. We can go on a run which is nice but a hiccup in there is quite possible too. Not really an enviable spot. That's what you can get with a 7th toughest A10 OOC but told it would be the toughest. Based on vcu history I'd be liking their spot if I was a vcu fan. This game is more important for us than them. But unfortunately Mooney turtles up vs. VCU. That needs to stop tomorrow night.

Reactions: wr70beh
That sounds like a bigger spread than it needs to be... If only I lived in a state where gambling was legal... Oh wait...

Why would the Vegas line have anything to do with VCU's confidence or our motivation?

Vegas/people are saying little chance you got beating VCU. Chop, did you think VCU would be this big of a fav? I sure didn't. No respect and best way to get it is to beat those guys.

Oh and just talking about the Spiders added motivation. Nothing to do VCU at all ..... their just probably enjoying the fact that most think the Spiders will be our bitches once again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT