ADVERTISEMENT

Another A-10 overview.

Thanks Mite,

Not on the radar but I think that's what we need to expect.

I think its easy to say we don't agree with this preview.

I have no problem with his first 2 - I think URI and Dayton, with what they have coming back - its hard not to pick them at the top. After that - I think spots 3-5 could go anywhere. I think its between ourselves, Davidson, and VCU. I would put GW on the outside looking in simply because they do have a lot of roster turnover and its hard to say how that will play out.

My darkhorse pick for the league - St. Joes. They have the best player in the league in Bembry. I still think Martelli can coach. I don't see them cracking the top 4. But I could see them getting up there around 5-6 and an NIT bid if Bembry gets some help this year.

I'm just going to say this and try to not say it as a homer and at the same time stir up the hornet's nest from our friends down on Broad St. But any publication that picks VCU over us, preseason, just flat out is not doing there homework. First we beat VCU 2 out of 3 last year (should have beaten them all 3, but should have's count for nothing), finished ahead of them in the standings, and finished the year stronger than they did. Second, VCU lost there two best players and players that were not just difference makers for that team but the heart and soul of what they do both on offense and defense. They also lost their probably most talented underclassman in Larrier.

As much as I love what Kendall did, people will on paper look down and say we lost our best player and leading scorer, all time 3 point scorer and equate that to a major loss. And it is, but we all know Kendall's height created some tremendous advantages and also some disadvantages. Kendall was a great player for us, but I think ultimately we might have a better team this year despite his loss. I don't think you can say the same thing about Weber and Graham. We lost ANO as well, a significant loss, less of a loss than Larrier's departure from VCU (mainly because Larrier was a sophomore).

And then look at who we have returning versus who VCU has returning. I'll take SDJ, Cline, Terry Allen over VCU's Top 3 any day. I don't follow VCU that carefully but after Lewis, I'm not sure who their second and third best players are. Mo-Alley Cox is a beast inside but not a huge scoring threat and certainly has some significant holes in his game. Melvin Johnson is a flat out scorer but not known for defense and had a pretty huge shooting slump last year. Jordan Burgess is their version of Deion Taylor. Gilmore is young could be good, hasn't shown anything consistent.

Plus VCU just made a coaching change, which is obviously huge. I know they have been pumping the juices of Will Wade down there, but he is an unknown and I think anyone who thinks he steps in to Shaka's shoes and thinks don't miss a beat is probably overly and unrealistically optimisic. So in my opinion, the only way VCU gets a head of us on a preseason polls is by publications who are going off of VCU's legacy. Cue the trolls.

And as to why CBS sucks........In their reporting we often are completely overlooked and our players are not even mentioned when discussing A10 talent. Oh by the way, that other writer (Rothstein) comes to Richmond and visits a downtown practice, reports on the wonderful things (palpable buzz) and then leaves town without visiting UR. Did same thing last year! Gotta stop here cause what I want to say shouldn't be on social media.

Reactions: Marley13
Oh 64, you can say it. Rothstein and Greg Burton, would argue over who got the most "tingle" going up their legs when in the same room as Shaka.

97 and 64, well put. I had thought that Burton and Rothstein were the same guy.

Actually, the team that I think has a beef with that analysis is Davidson. Started out as a contender, then gets forgotten.

I assume the 4 links at the bottom are the 4 teams they have looked at so far...

More bulletin board material for Mooney......

I don't really see what the bulliten board material is here. The author has us definitely in the top 5 and says we have a legit chance to win.

"It’s not that the Atlantic 10 is so wide-open -- it's just top-heavy. No fewer than six teams have a legit shot to win, including defending regular-season champ Davidson, defending tourney champ VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, Richmond and George Washington."

Impressed with this analysis.

Rhode Island with their screaming, stomping coach will likely be "top of the class" in the league. Since defending champion Davidson lost only one player to graduation (although it was the conference player of the year), I would look for them to contend again. Archie Miller will see to it that Dayton is competitive even though they will have quite a few newcomers.

As usual, seems that there is some room for the 2-7 slots to jockey. I see GW slipping down.

Think that the Spiders are in the 3-7 group. If the newcomers contribute substantially then 2-3 is within reach. If the team is last year's team without Kendal Anthony & Ododa, then 6-7 is more likely.

St. Louis has young talent. I look for them to make the biggest year-to-year leap.

Dana O'neil does a good job. I like that she calls the A10 the Big East's brother.
Mo, I agree that it is nice that she calls the A10 the Big East's brother. However, there is no comparison. The Big East ended the season with three teams in the Top 25, compared to zero A10 teams. The Spiders really need to press to get into the Big East.

Impressed with this analysis.

Rhode Island with their screaming, stomping coach will likely be "top of the class" in the league. Since defending champion Davidson lost only one player to graduation (although it was the conference player of the year), I would look for them to contend again. Archie Miller will see to it that Dayton is competitive even though they will have quite a few newcomers.

Rhode Island was the one team last year in conference that really manhandled us. Yes, the game was competitive but thought they controlled the game and did so in our building, which is really tough. I'm not up on who is returning from each team but to me, they seem a logical choice to be at the head of the class. Despite the fact that Hurley acts like a complete d-bag during the game.

We did not get manhandled by URI. They did break ANO's eye-bone, maybe that can be considered manhandling? URI got a lot of crazy calls going their way (Shawn'Dre got a technical foul for bouncing the ball against the ground after a play ended somehow? Foul wasn't called when a URI player elbowed ANO in the face and broke his eye bone...)

URI pushed us around last year - they were the most physical team we played.

Nice to see Rothstein pay us a visit while he was in town - or not.

They were big at all positions and exerted their influence. We kept the game close but always felt they were in control. Yes, we could have won that game, but I don't think we should have won that game (like I would say for Wake, Northeastern, JMU, George Mason). They were the most impressive team I saw us play at the Robins Center last year. But yes, point taken, we did lose ANO early that game and for the life of me can't figure out how that was not a technical foul.

They were big at all positions and exerted their influence. We kept the game close but always felt they were in control. Yes, we could have won that game, but I don't think we should have won that game (like I would say for Wake, Northeastern, JMU, George Mason). They were the most impressive team I saw us play at the Robins Center last year. But yes, point taken, we did lose ANO early that game and for the life of me can't figure out how that was not a technical foul.

That was also one of the best games URI played all year, and their best win of the year. According to kenpom they only beat 2 top 100 teams all year, us (55th) and GW (74th).

Not a Homer - I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we will be mentioned in most publications and previews as a team to watch that could contend, but with the loss of our best offensive player and best defensive player/shot blocker - I think that will cause people to be a little hesitant to put us in the top 2-3 in preseason rankings. Which is fine I think and valid, especially when you compare to what Dayton and URI have returning and the fact that the media loves VCU even without Shaka.

Overall - I think the A10 probably gets 3 teams in the NCAA tourney this year, maybe 4. Its looking like Dayton and URI are the early favorites for bids, then I think you throw ourselves, VCU, and Davidson in there - but not sure there is room for all 5. It could happen - would just depend on how the whole OOC pans out for everyone.

that ken pom is really something

Well its not just kenpom. Any metric you look at will show you URI really didn't have many good wins last year. That is why they were rated lower than us by the selection committee.

According to the RPI, URI went 0-6 against top 50 teams, and beat 3 teams in the 50-100 range.

Good write up, pretty clear that this guy has done some fact checking as I couldn't find major fault with his analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT