ADVERTISEMENT

A Case Study - Lacrosse Purchased by High Bidder

Sep 26, 2012
Could this be used as a case study to teach students what NOT to do in their lives? Hard to know if this would this be a leadership, an ethics or a business case study?

since most of us do not have any idea what went on in the study, what the options were, why it was decided to do this instead of that, other options might have been much worse, just do not know, hard to say how your case study should be taught. it seems that it could have, should have, been handled a bit differently and i am upset but until i know more of what this entire episode was about and how they got to where they did, am not going to flush the toilet yet. there does appear to be money involved, but think, according to one poster, about three scholies being endowed, that does not seem to be that much although nothing to sneeze at but not a "buy out" by any means. not sure we will ever know the complete story but seems a number of people, faculty, admin, board, all had a hand in this and there was a reason for them to come to this conclusion. i guess in my dream world, would love for a wealthy alum to come to the school and say, i don't want to build another building, or tear down another tree on my campus but i do want to endow all of the scholarships for our athletic teams. that has not happened yet and may not, probably not ever going to happen but that is the only way that we can continue to support 17 sports at our size.

it seems our prez should retain Bret to do his math when depending on ratios to back his decisions. if you are doing things the wrong way, it only gets worse as time goes by and the more you explain, the deeper in doo-doo you get. better to fess up at the start as to your real agenda and not try and sugar-coat it with numbers that others might pick apart.

Interesting, but I think one should keep the comparisons to our competitors with like athletic departments, i.e. Scholarship Division I. It is really not a fair comparison to a D-III school, which treats athletics more like a high school. Of the smaller D-I schools which currently offer full scholarship FCS or FBS football, Furman is 12.7%, Rice is 10.8%, Elon is 7.7%, Wake is 8.2%, W&M is 8.5%. Richmond currently is at 13% student athletes. Division I schools that are at higher percentages than us are either non scholarship like the Ivys, or currently have non scholarship football, like the Patriot League teams and Davidson. We will see how going to full scholarship FCS football affects the current PL teams.

when we say 13% is that only scholie athletes or all, including club, etc.? think, from what i have been told, that the patriot league, or ivy or pioneer, with non-scholies, actually has more players, have to have more players, than a full scholie school. because the players are on financial aid, most getting full rides or very close to it, and they can walk away from the football if the coach yells at them and they get pissed thus they need more players, bodies. i would think the 13% includes all students who participate in a sport on campus whether it is one of our 17 funded or the club or any other status they might enjoy.

my understanding is that it includes only athletic slots -- scholie or non, but only for the D-1 sports

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT