ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

7 guys average 21+ minutes a game. The same 7 guys have played 15+ minutes in each of their games. The same 7 guys have started at least 1 game this year. Yes, we have a top 7. Doesn't mean an 8th or 9th guy can't or won't play more minutes than some of the top 7 some games, but the top 7 seems pretty clear.

And, did you ask if Roche were needed out there? LOL. And, you ask for a level playing field? What does that even mean? Play less talented the guys the same minutes as more talented guys?
Another misinterpretation that you know you are making and for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of someone. Plus if I rail on you, you play the victim card. Regardless, I will play along just in case others are confused by your ranting.

My primary point is this. I have been to all the home games and have watched all the away games except the Flo Sports one (which I listened to on the radio) and what I see is a team without the usual well defined starting 5, primarily due to uncertainty at the 2 guard spots. I know who has started, who has the most minutes, etc, but not all these players have earned it (at least via play this year). So in my opinion there is still an opportunity to earn time.

I did not say to not play Roche. What I said was is what is he doing when he is out there? As others have discussed, he does not seem to fit “the system” and is typically putting up a handful of shots a game - low impact. On the other end of the court, I see high energy but a player that can easily be beat by a quality D1 guard. So my point is if he isn’t out there to shoot, why is he on the court?

You also know that level playing field does not mean that everyone gets the same minutes. What it means is all players get treated the same way. If you take an ill advised shot then either all players get to play through it or all players are yanked. If you get blown by on defense, same thing. I am advocating this because these OOC games are the proving ground for time in A10 play. There is no at-large opportunity for any team in the A10 based on OOC play. It is all down to conference play just like it has been for years now.

All this being said, I do think that Mooney is being as flexible as he ever has been meaning that “starters” are being removed from games at times. At least this suggests that he has more confidence in the bench than he has had since I have started attending games in person.

Looking forward to seeing lots of different players playing tonight. Let’s light them up in the first half Spiders!

I did not say to not play Roche. What I said was is what is he doing when he is out there? As others have discussed, he does not seem to fit “the system” and is typically putting up a handful of shots a game - low impact.
Roche has taken the 4th most shots (and 3rd most 3's) on the team in just 21 mpg. he's filling an important role and making an impact.

"If you take an ill advised shot then either all players get to play through it or all players are yanked. If you get blown by on defense, same thing."

I disagree. I think a 44% 3-point shooter should get a lot more leeway with his shot selection than others on the floor. just like if Goose gets beat badly on a drive, I don't feel the need to pull him right away. he's earned the rep as a good defender.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
Another misinterpretation that you know you are making and for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of someone. Plus if I rail on you, you play the victim card. Regardless, I will play along just in case others are confused by your ranting.

My primary point is this. I have been to all the home games and have watched all the away games except the Flo Sports one (which I listened to on the radio) and what I see is a team without the usual well defined starting 5, primarily due to uncertainty at the 2 guard spots. I know who has started, who has the most minutes, etc, but not all these players have earned it (at least via play this year). So in my opinion there is still an opportunity to earn time.

I did not say to not play Roche. What I said was is what is he doing when he is out there? As others have discussed, he does not seem to fit “the system” and is typically putting up a handful of shots a game - low impact. On the other end of the court, I see high energy but a player that can easily be beat by a quality D1 guard. So my point is if he isn’t out there to shoot, why is he on the court?

You also know that level playing field does not mean that everyone gets the same minutes. What it means is all players get treated the same way. If you take an ill advised shot then either all players get to play through it or all players are yanked. If you get blown by on defense, same thing. I am advocating this because these OOC games are the proving ground for time in A10 play. There is no at-large opportunity for any team in the A10 based on OOC play. It is all down to conference play just like it has been for years now.

All this being said, I do think that Mooney is being as flexible as he ever has been meaning that “starters” are being removed from games at times. At least this suggests that he has more confidence in the bench than he has had since I have started attending games in person.

Looking forward to seeing lots of different players playing tonight. Let’s light them up in the first half Spiders!
Goose has started every game. Why do you think there is uncertainty about a starter there? The only time we changed our starters was when Grace was out.

You said exactly what I posted about Roche. I don't think I am misinterpreting anything. Since you forgot what you said, I will post again. You asked " is he really needed on the court"? Uh, yes, he is very much needed on the court. And, we are watching 2 different games out there because his defense has been more than acceptable.

Name me a coach who will follow this level playing field fantasy of yours. You want every player treated exactly the same? Name me one coach that would take out Tyler for a bad shot or a slip up on defense? And, I have not seen issues from anyone on defense. Everyone out there is giving great effort on that end. You talk about playing through stuff, like SDad mentioned some guys need more time to get into a rhythm. But, who does that? What coach out there will give his 8th or 9th guys multiple chances to play through stuff, or give them extra minutes to get into a rhythm while their starters, their better players, sit extra time on the bench?

If Tyler Burton gets blown by on defense, he has EARNED the right to stay in the game. What is this level playing field BS?! Your best players get the luxury of making mistakes because they provide more than the next guy. Some players can make more mistakes than others bc they have proved they are more important than others.

About earning minutes, all of the first 7 have had a game with double digit scoring this year. So it could be said they’ve done more than the rest of the team. Further cementing themselves in the rotation for consistent minutes. But that’s just one argument. But I guess you can say who has earned playing time and who has not…

I'd like to think that every coach uses a level playing field...based on past career performance.
If not, something is wrong.

You must look at all stats and not an isolated one, but...

If one player has 180 turnovers in 2250 minutes and another has 36 turnovers in 300 minutes (randomly made up stats), then the next turnover by the first player would change the total percentage less than the next turnover by the second player.

It is very similar to a change in NET from 1 game in late February vs 1 game in early December...

Hoping for a quick massive lead against FD so plenty of subs preferably players behind Goose in the pecking order can see more time.
We just won a game by 30 points and completely dominated a good opponent... You should know that means we are going to be trailing by 8 or 9 tonight at the half.

Reactions: whampas
Let's not go overboard here. He played a combined 31 minutes in the 2 NIT games with totals of 5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 turnovers, and 0-1 from 3. The 0-1 is a factor to me because you want a few 3s from that position. Blake averaged 33 mpg that year, and in those 33 minutes, gave us 16.1 ppg, 2.3 assists pg, 2.3 rebounds pg, 1.4 steals pg, 1.7 turnovers pg, and 2.5-6.8 from 3 pg. So, my thoughts during the NIT were wow, we miss Blake.

I have never seen much of an offensive game from Dji. I'm not trying to be hateful and it doesn't mean he isn't a good basketball player. It's just that I never saw much offense from him, and without a 3 point shot, I never saw a lot of playing time for him. That is why I had the opinion I did in the off season and why I have stayed consistent with it. And, he has had some chances. 16 games with 10+ minutes, but overall only 68 points in 300+ minutes and 2-16 from 3. Again, not trying to be hateful, and Dji wouldn't be here and wouldn't be getting any minutes at all if he weren't a good player, but just trying to show where my thoughts on this are coming from. It's not hating on anyone at all. Ask yourselves if SDad were not on here, would anything I just said on this post be even close to mean, hateful, or the least bit controversial?
Sorry VT, but a totally unnecessary, uncalled for, tasteless, hateful post directed to a fellow Spider fan. Not acceptable IMO.

You are young I believe. Sometimes best to keep your mouth shut. Hopefully, you will learn in time.

Let's not go overboard here. He played a combined 31 minutes in the 2 NIT games with totals of 5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 turnovers, and 0-1 from 3. The 0-1 is a factor to me because you want a few 3s from that position. Blake averaged 33 mpg that year, and in those 33 minutes, gave us 16.1 ppg, 2.3 assists pg, 2.3 rebounds pg, 1.4 steals pg, 1.7 turnovers pg, and 2.5-6.8 from 3 pg. So, my thoughts during the NIT were wow, we miss Blake.

I have never seen much of an offensive game from Dji. I'm not trying to be hateful and it doesn't mean he isn't a good basketball player. It's just that I never saw much offense from him, and without a 3 point shot, I never saw a lot of playing time for him. That is why I had the opinion I did in the off season and why I have stayed consistent with it. And, he has had some chances. 16 games with 10+ minutes, but overall only 68 points in 300+ minutes and 2-16 from 3. Again, not trying to be hateful, and Dji wouldn't be here and wouldn't be getting any minutes at all if he weren't a good player, but just trying to show where my thoughts on this are coming from. It's not hating on anyone at all. Ask yourselves if SDad were not on here, would anything I just said on this post be even close to mean, hateful, or the least bit controversial?
If SpiderDad wasn't on here you would be posting half as often which would make my tolerance of your posts twice as high.

Sorry VT, but a totally unnecessary, uncalled for, tasteless, hateful post directed to a fellow Spider fan. Not acceptable IMO.

You are young I believe. Sometimes best to keep your mouth shut. Hopefully, you will learn in time.
Seriously? You act like this is the worst thing ever said on here? It's not even top 100 this year as far as not being all positive about a player. Nelson had his own negative thread. Read the 1st post in that thread. Grace got killed on here every year. And, were you on here during the Trey Davis and Deion Taylor years? My goodness, you are making the point for me here. No, my post was not controversial at all. It just wasn't. Not a thing wrong with it, and yet, look at your reply.

ADVERTISEMENT