ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

Grace back to starting lineup. I did not get impression it was for Quinn. But that's what I would do. Nothing was stated, my guess is we're back to original starters from beginning of season. guess we'll see.
At this point I would start Grace and Bigelow. Bring Quinn of the bench. He is still going to play his 20 minutes, but maybe starting on the bench will help him see some things before he gets out there.

This was my concern for all transfers really, with maybe the exception of Bigelow. When guys transfer up - always a concern can they do it against tougher competition. This was true for Roche and Bigelow. Roche being a shooter - I think the concern is just more can he get his shot off against bigger and quicker guys and can he make shots that are likely to be more contested than he is used to. I think he has shown that answer is YES - so far. It will be interesting to see how A10 teams prep for him with deeper scouting reports and if he can sustain for the entire year, which was an issue at Citadel. Quinn on the other hand - I think he will get there, but I think he is still adjusting and figuring his way in our offense. Maybe another reason to start on bench - let him watch Grace and see how he handles center from his position.

Reactions: urfan1
Quinn is a mystery still to me. He is not playing bad, but I don't think he is playing up to the expectation of fans or coaches - YET. Is it just taking time for to get adjusted? Did the foot injury set him back a bit? Or is this about what we can expect from Quinn going forward - maybe take 5 shots. Score 6-8 points, grab 5 rebounds and play 20 minutes. Is that the ceiling for him? I don't think it is - and honestly, we need him to be better and more productive for this team to win games this year and beyond.
I keep forgetting the strange facts with Lafayette.

Coach has been there since 1997.
Quinn played 2 years with Verbinskis.

Quinn had great stats in 2021, then I remember they only played 4 for teams, multiple times (BU, Lehigh, Bucknell, & Loyola MD). And it looks like Quinn played 20 minutes a game that season.

Good morning - I have two extra (free) tix for game today if anyone needs them …

When multiple players have good games, the results speak for themselves. Very good team effort, more chemistry today, and more aggressiveness. This is a formula for success. Enjoyed seeing NQ in aggressive mode.

Not to take away from a good win, but I’m really not sure how good Drake really is. Their schedule to date has been mostly soft, and they were not a pound the boards / physical team. Some of this may be attributed to us, but time will tell. They didn’t seem anywhere as skilled and not as hungry as say…Toledo. We’ll see as the season progresses.

Tyler held it all together with defense, early scoring and excellent free throw shooting. Quinn played by far the best and most inspired we have seen. Nelson did much better in all facets of his game. Roche had 7 quiet points and played some decent defense. Goose’s defense was solid but did nothing on the offensive end. Grace had his usual good three plays and horrible four plays. I did like seeing Bailey finally look at the basket a couple of times. Bigelow was Bigelow. Good to see Crabtree back in and make a nice 3 (he must be way down in Mooney’s doghouse). Waltz came into the game looking like Joe Biden (no idea where he was and had 3 quick turnovers) and finished his couple minutes like Larry Bird. He finished with 3 rebounds and 4 points including a monster follow dunk.
This team can’t play any better than they did today. Drake came out like the usual Spiders to start the game and got whomped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Not to take away from a good win, but I’m really not sure how good Drake really is. Their schedule to date has been mostly soft, and they were not a pound the boards / physical team. Some of this may be attributed to us, but time will tell. They didn’t seem anywhere as skilled and not as hungry as say…Toledo. We’ll see as the season progresses.
I was wondering what the Drake itinerary was. They seemed tired.

However, the Spiders saw blood in the water and took advantage of it. Definitely nice to be on the way ahead side in the first half. Then the Spiders were able to sustain the lead, which was another nice change.

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Stork3 and SpiderK
Tyler held it all together with defense, early scoring and excellent free throw shooting. Quinn played by far the best and most inspired we have seen. Nelson did much better in all facets of his game. Roche had 7 quiet points and played some decent defense. Goose’s defense was solid but did nothing on the offensive end. Grace had his usual good three plays and horrible 4 plays. I did like seeing Bailey finally look at the basket a couple of times. Bigelow was Bigelow. Good to see Crabtree back in and make a nice 3 (he must be way down in Mooney’s doghouse). Waltz came into the game looking like Joe Biden (no idea where he was and had 3 quick turnovers) and finished his couple minutes like Larry Bird. He finished with 3 rebounds and 4 points including a monster follow dunk.
This team can’t play any better than they did today. Drake came out like the usual Spiders to start the game and got whomped.

can you point to the four horrible plays? or is it just your usual, I'm miserable so I'm going to post BS?

Stunned by this one. Didn't get to see or listen to any of it live but I can't recall a game against a good team in recent memory where we dominated from tip to horn like this. Let's hope it's not an anomaly. The talent is there, as many of us have said all along.

My expectations were super low coming into this one but wow, this was a dominant performance. Some notables for me:

- Quinn's quick, decisive moves to the hoop really paid off with his best game of the year. He has a quickness and footwork that is actually pretty rare for 7 footers and has good touch around the rim. Hopefully we see more of this going forward.

- Tyler made some incredible plays that only he can make, saving several balls, tipped passes, etc. from going out of bounds as well as an amazing alley oop from Dji.

- Small thing - but Walz free throws looked super pure for a big. And his dunk put back was also nice. Really hoping we can continue to find some occasional minutes for him.

Nice to get a blowout win and get rid of the sting of the past few weeks. Hopefully the momentum continues Tuesday.

What a game! A whole lot to like about this one. A lot of guys played great. Nelson and Quinn were outstanding. I think we saw what can happen when we get offensive production like that from our PG and big. We have been used to that here for a long time. Overall, the offense looked a lot more in sync today. The movement was good, and the spacing was good. Our defense continues to be great. Our guys really got after it, and made things really hard for Drake today. We are active around the ball, and altering a lot of shots. We had some sloppy turnovers in the 2nd half, but only 2 in the 1st half.

Don't have many like this one where we dominate from start to finish.....great fun in the Robins Center. Crabtree has such a sweet touch when he swishes a three that can't help but wonder why he doesn't get more PT? Overall this is a game the team can build on as a confidence booster and go on to put more W's in the books. Good to see Walz and Noyes get on the court with Walz scoring 4 points and snagging 3 rebounds in 4 minutes. Fun day to be a Spider including the roar of the crowd for free tacos after two Drake FT misses but didn't encounter anyone passing out taco coupons................

had holiday activities all day so haven't watched game yet, but wow, great result. Very nice, can't wait to watch but it sounds terrific from posts above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT