ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

I have noticed Mooney has a real short leash. I did see when he missed the 3, Mooney reacted very obviously, which I did not care for. Overall, thought Dji had a good game.
Appreciate it. Some just don’t have a clue & miss the point all together. You can’t possibly be effective in 2-3 min stretches esp when you are worried about being pulled. If people can’t understand that then prob haven’t played or just plain oblivious.

Randolph is not an outside shooter. It’s definitely not one of the reasons he should be on the floor. VT, do you watch the games?
I think his outside shot looks good. Quick release. Good form. Natural looking shooter. 4-10 from 3 this year. 5-13 in his career, and, yes, I watch every game. Maybe you think 2-16 is better than 5-13? I don't, so yes, I think outside shooting is another reason I would have Randolph next up behind the top 7. Let me guess...stats are overrated, right?

He's 4-10 from 3 and 5-6 from the line, so those indicate that he can shoot. 1-6 from 2 is bad, but I honestly don't remember most of those. At least a couple games he came in and had a positive impact offensively with a couple buckets in his first few minutes on the court. He clearly knows he is in there to bring energy and intensity but to my eye, his jumper has been smooth.

Re: Dji getting pulled after the 3, I actually was curious about that play as it happened so I rewound and watched it 2-3 times to see the play unfold and the transition defense. Dji shoots a 3 relatively early in the shot clock which I have no problem with. Nelson was below the foul line in the left corner, so not in ideal position to get back. Tyler was top of key right side and did not get back, the guy who scored blew past him to get open. Dji - it was tough to tell bc he went out of camera range for a second as they took possession. Looked like he was mostly back but hadn't come to the middle of the court as there was a guy out on his side of the court (non-ball side), running toward the UR bench and he was hedged to that side. When the pass went to the guy ahead on the ball side of the court, he hustled over then but it was too late. Anyway, not sure if the issue was the shot selection - early in clock with PG not in position to cover back for the shooter - or an issue with his positioning on the transition defense (or both.) Was a classic Moon hook, straight out of Justin Harper's sophomore year.

Anyway, these two guys bring different things to the court IMO and I think both can be great assets. Dji has to figure out his offensive role and how to be more efficient within it, and Marcus needs to avoid the messy plays he can be prone to make as he tries to bring energy.
Good point about the early shot. Why would we ever want that shot there? Would we want Grant shooting a 3 with everyone out of position with 25 or whatever on the shot clock? Offense is not Dji's strength. That's not just my opinion. SDad has said that as well as he has said shooting, scoring, and the 3 point shot are not everything.

Appreciate it. Some just don’t have a clue & miss the point all together. You can’t possibly be effective in 2-3 min stretches esp when you are worried about being pulled. If people can’t understand that then prob haven’t played or just plain oblivious.
LOL. And, right on time we get the "probably haven't played" talk. You can absolutely be effective for 2-3 minute stretches, especially if you or those around you don't think you should be playing a lot more than that. My goodness, Dji is not the only player in college basketball to come out after a few minutes. Take the minutes and play well when in there, whether it's 5 or 10+. Why make looking over your shoulder excuses?

Last edited:
He's 4-10 from 3 and 5-6 from the line, so those indicate that he can shoot. 1-6 from 2 is bad, but I honestly don't remember most of those. At least a couple games he came in and had a positive impact offensively with a couple buckets in his first few minutes on the court. He clearly knows he is in there to bring energy and intensity but to my eye, his jumper has been smooth.

Re: Dji getting pulled after the 3, I actually was curious about that play as it happened so I rewound and watched it 2-3 times to see the play unfold and the transition defense. Dji shoots a 3 relatively early in the shot clock which I have no problem with. Nelson was below the foul line in the left corner, so not in ideal position to get back. Tyler was top of key right side and did not get back, the guy who scored blew past him to get open. Dji - it was tough to tell bc he went out of camera range for a second as they took possession. Looked like he was mostly back but hadn't come to the middle of the court as there was a guy out on his side of the court (non-ball side), running toward the UR bench and he was hedged to that side. When the pass went to the guy ahead on the ball side of the court, he hustled over then but it was too late. Anyway, not sure if the issue was the shot selection - early in clock with PG not in position to cover back for the shooter - or an issue with his positioning on the transition defense (or both.) Was a classic Moon hook, straight out of Justin Harper's sophomore year.

Anyway, these two guys bring different things to the court IMO and I think both can be great assets. Dji has to figure out his offensive role and how to be more efficient within it, and Marcus needs to avoid the messy plays he can be prone to make as he tries to bring energy.
Early in shot clock is what was said. But being in less than a min and getting pulled for that is some mess. When Roche came down on fast break and pulled a few min later..coach was a calm as a cucumber after and Roche was free to keep playing. There isn’t nothing anyone can say about it that justifies it for me. Idc if Roche or anyone else shoots 80% treat all your players the same. That’s how I see it. Agree totally with your assessment that Dji will need to figure out his role. On the flip side if you are telling me to be more offensive minded then when I do you pull me that doesn’t work. Can’t haven’t both ways imo.

“Oh, he’s 40% from 3 point this year”

You play Randolph because of the intangibles, which is as important in this great game of college basketball versus hockey. Some times you can’t quantify the impact a high energy player brings to the game and his potential to swing momentum.

Btw, Roche is so much better than I expected. Love his energy on defense and his pure stroke from beyond 3. He’s a way better defender than he’s getting credit for by all of us. Love his game and style.
I would agree his defense is better esp from what i saw on film & this summer. For me what makes it better is he just scraps so hard bc he doesn’t have great athleticism. I will def take a scrappy player. Annnnd he can shoot it just a lil bit 😀

Reactions: spider23
I would agree his defense is better esp from what i saw on film & this summer. For me what makes it better is he just scraps so hard bc he doesn’t have great athleticism. I will def take a scrappy player. Annnnd he can shoot it just a lil bit 😀
I agree but I rarely think about his athleticism on defense. He plays smart and knows how to keep the ball handler in front of him. Burton has more athleticism than anybody, but too often relies on his ability to play from behind.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Early in shot clock is what was said. But being in less than a min and getting pulled for that is some mess. When Roche came down on fast break and pulled a few min later..coach was a calm as a cucumber after and Roche was free to keep playing. There isn’t nothing anyone can say about it that justifies it for me. Idc if Roche or anyone else shoots 80% treat all your players the same. That’s how I see it. Agree totally with your assessment that Dji will need to figure out his role. On the flip side if you are telling me to be more offensive minded then when I do you pull me that doesn’t work. Can’t haven’t both ways imo.
My goodness. You need to be more realistic and accept your pre season predictions were just way far off. It seems like you have been golding onto that all year. Since you are talking like this, it's only fair if replies are allowed.

Sorry, but I will justify it: Because Roche is a better basketball player. That's why.

My goodness. You need to be more realistic and accept your pre season predictions were just way far off. It seems like you have been golding onto that all year. Since you are talking like this, it's only fair if replies are allowed.

Sorry, but I will justify it: Because Roche is a better basketball player. That's why.
You’re such a dweeb. Wonder if you’re just an internet warrior or if the bullying you experienced as a teen caused you to be this way.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I agree but I rarely think about his athleticism on defense. He plays smart and knows how to keep the ball handler in front of him. Burton has more athleticism than anybody, but too often relies on his ability to play from behind.
Roche's defense has been great. He is very much athletic. We heard some say on here he wouldn't be able to play good defense, and would be too slow and all that, and some are still holding on to the non athlete part, which could not be farther from the truth.

You’re such a dweeb. Wonder if you’re just an internet warrior or if the bullying you experienced as a teen caused you to be this way.
None of the above. I just think the whining is out of control. And, I tried to hold back a little and be non critical, but we kept hearing the same thing on here. And, I knew it wouldn't be long before someone posted a comment like this, all because I am giving a fair opinion. That many probably agree with but are afraid to say. Of course, several posts ago we hear that "some just don’t have a clue.....and "If people can’t understand that then prob haven’t played or just plain oblivious." But, no worries there, right? Just wait and get on me when I respond.

With the fear of getting drilled on here for asking you, I wanted to ask you what do you think Dji's offensive role could be? This is his 3rd year here, he has played in 34 games, and played over 300 minutes. Do you think it is a little telling if an offensive role would still need to figured out? I expect a lot of hateful replies, and I really don't care, because I am asking you, not anyone else, and wondering what your opinion would be.

I’m going to say this VT…and then I’m done with your ignorant behind. Because you can’t identify what athlete and athleticism means…go Google it like everything else you do. You are clueless on somethings esp preseason stuff and a lot of other stuff that goes on. So until you’re in the know and I mean like… you been there seen that, heard that, had convos with the coaches, been in practices…I would just 🤐 But please sit behind the keyboard and rant and post your ramblings bc you always have the last word. Better yet, come introduce yourself to me at a game so you can enlighten me with your vast BBall knowledge. I sit behind the team and would love to meet you😉

I’m going to say this VT…and then I’m done with your ignorant behind. Because you can’t identify what athlete and athleticism means…go Google it like everything else you do. You are clueless on somethings esp preseason stuff and a lot of other stuff that goes on. So until you’re in the know and I mean like… you been there seen that, heard that, had convos with the coaches, been in practices…I would just 🤐 But please sit behind the keyboard and rant and post your ramblings bc you always have the last word. Better yet, come introduce yourself to me at a game so you can enlighten me with your vast BBall knowledge. I sit behind the team and would love to meet you😉
I thought you had me on ignore.

You are clueless on somethings esp preseason stuff and a lot of other stuff that goes on. So until you’re in the know and I mean like… you been there seen that, heard that, had convos with the coaches, been in practices…I would just 🤐
Let's review:

You said the PG spot was wide open, with no obvious starter. I said I would be shocked if Nelson didn't start and I just didn't see a lot of time for Dji.

You said Dji and Nelson were splitting time at PG and it was unknown who would start. I again said I would be shocked if Nelson didn't start, and have stayed consistent with my saying I didn't see a lot of time for Dji.

You said Dji was running with the 1s. I said I could not see any lineup at all that would have him starting.

But, hey, what do I know. I wasn't there, right?

I think the issue here is you had some unrealistic pre season expectations and now you are all upset because they are not coming true instead of just accepting the truth. My guess is Randolph's Dad is not on a message board whining about his son's playing time because he was probably a lot more realistic in the off season.

I keep forgetting the strange facts with Lafayette.

Coach has been there since 1997.
Quinn played 2 years with Verbinskis.
Other strange fact, I coached their 2nd leading scorer for a few years on a travel basketball team. They are now 1-11 on the year, so probably missing Quinn a bit. I think they had a good freshman guard last year, guessing he transferred. Hoping they turn it around.

I have noticed Mooney has a real short leash. I did see when he missed the 3, Mooney reacted very obviously, which I did not care for. Overall, thought Dji had a good game.
This is nothing new. Matter of fact I think there may have been significant discussion on the short leash in another thread a while back. I mentioned looking over one’s shoulder doesn’t generate a lot of self confidence.

Would you be happy if Shaq dribbled up the court and shot a 3pt as a coach? Obviously it’s an exaggeration, but there’s no way you can say “this isn’t rec ball” as you have before on this board and then when things aren’t going well, it’s “treat all of the players the same.” Can’t have it both ways.

I agree it’s not easy coming in and being effective in 3/4 minute stretches. But at the end of the day. The 8th and 9th man don’t have the luxury of anything else. That’s not just at UR.

Would you be happy if Shaq dribbled up the court and shot a 3pt as a coach? Obviously it’s an exaggeration, but there’s no way you can say “this isn’t rec ball” as you have before on this board and then when things aren’t going well, it’s “treat all of the players the same.” Can’t have it both ways.

I agree it’s not easy coming in and being effective in 3/4 minute stretches. But at the end of the day. The 8th and 9th man don’t have the luxury of anything else. That’s not just at UR.
Yeah Dji isn’t Shaq but I understand your point, but when your guy goes under the screen and you have a great look you take it. A coach can’t tell a player I want you more aggressive offensively and look to score more then punish said player for taking a shot. Instead of acting the fool over that particular shot, the transition defenders are the ones who should be talked too bc by the time the ball is kicked ahead TB and Matt are still back pedaling backwards and in chill mode. There was also the first shot of the game by Neal that was a 3 or long 2 and we didn’t get upset at that… Jmo

U don’t think there is a difference btw Roche your best 3 pt shooter taking an early in clock 3 vs. Dji taking an early 3? I’d expect those to be treated differently. Dji should let it fly but late in clock when open. I hope he can work a little bit on his jump shot mechanics next summer fwiw. But we haven’t had much success w other players doing so in past. Hard to change.

I can’t speak exactly to the why when how Moon chooses to critique a player in game but that’s coaching. I’ve seen/heard it personally w Geriot Darien brothers terry Allen TJ Cline all very good players. They’ve got the treatment. Maybe rarer w a KA or Gilly but those guys didn’t come off court. Yeah there’s probably some discrepancy btw off & def mistakes tho. I just disagree that in game u treat all equally most if not all coaches don’t subscribe to that. Off court sure.

Think Dji has overall been pretty assertive when he’s played. Some games those extended mins will be there. But like others have said when u r 8th man or sometimes 9th that’s hard. If he were a starter I expect you’d want him kept in longer & not concerned as much w others 8/9 man mins.

U don’t think there is a difference btw Roche your best 3 pt shooter taking an early in clock 3 vs. Dji taking an early 3? I’d expect those to be treated differently. Dji should let it fly but late in clock when open. I hope he can work a little bit on his jump shot mechanics next summer fwiw. But we haven’t had much success w other players doing so in past. Hard to change.

I can’t speak exactly to the why when how Moon chooses to critique a player in game but that’s coaching. I’ve seen/heard it personally w Geriot Darien brothers terry Allen TJ Cline all very good players. They’ve got the treatment. Maybe rarer w a KA or Gilly but those guys didn’t come off court. Yeah there’s probably some discrepancy btw off & def mistakes tho. I just disagree that in game u treat all equally most if not all coaches don’t subscribe to that. Off court sure.

Think Dji has overall been pretty assertive when he’s played. Some games those extended mins will be there. But like others have said when u r 8th man or sometimes 9th that’s hard. If he were a starter I expect you’d want him kept in longer & not concerned as much w others 8/9 man mins.
I think this is a fair critique and rational. I personally don't see the difference but I understand it, Roche is the best shooter no question but we can agree to disagree about the timing of a shot. I hear you about the mechanics but as I've stated before he has those 3 screws in his wrist and doesn't have the flexibility/range of motion he once had. He's made adjustments but still has to continue like you said to work at it. As far as players being treated equal, agree to disagree here too. Now if a player continues to mess up then yeah he should sit for a while, and if he doesn't I think it sends the wrong message. I think all players are different...If a player was a volume scorer and could go in and get 6-10 pts in a 3-4 min stretch that's how you play that player, one could argue. If a player is rhythm player you have to allow them to get into that rhythm. That's just something I firmly believe in.

starters get a longer leash. they're considered our best players. guys off the bench have to contribute to keep or expand their role, but they're in to get starters a rest. if you're seen as the 8th guy, you're going to get a 3 minute run. if you make the most of it often enough, you move up in the rankings. it's very tough to show what you can do in short runs, but that's all you get.

I don't think anyone really thought Randolph would be a factor this year. he's proven a lot in his 3 minutes runs. he and Dji overlap in position a bit but are different players. I know stats are limited, but Randolph looks like a shooter. he's not a creator, or a penetrator. Dji's the opposite. but both bust it on defense. it doesn't have to be one or the other. they can totally play together. but we do have other good players competing for those same minutes.

most anyone with a kid who's ever played at any level understands the frustration of knowing what your kid is capable of and wanting everyone else to see it. it's just super hard to get and take advantage of opportunities with a deep and talented roster. we probably have 6 or 7 guys who know they could do more if given the chance. and we probably have 13 sets of parents who think their sons should be doing more, lol!

Other strange fact, I coached their 2nd leading scorer for a few years on a travel basketball team. They are now 1-11 on the year, so probably missing Quinn a bit. I think they had a good freshman guard last year, guessing he transferred. Hoping they turn it around.
Jenkins? he's really good!
I know a kid on that team so I watch them a bit. weird to say but that's a pretty talented 1-11 team! I think they overscheduled a bit early and now it's going off the rails.

Yep, Jenkins. He really grew and blossomed in high school/prep school. His dad played at URI and is 6'9 so figured he would, but he really improved his athleticism too. I see he is shooting it much better from 3 this year, he always had a really good looking shot out there, and it is going in at a better rate.

My kids unfortunately followed my athletic path, peaking out around 7th/8th grade :)

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Yep, Jenkins. He really grew and blossomed in high school/prep school. His dad played at URI and is 6'9 so figured he would, but he really improved his athleticism too. I see he is shooting it much better from 3 this year, he always had a really good looking shot out there, and it is going in at a better rate.

My kids unfortunately followed my athletic path, peaking out around 7th/8th grade :)
Betting it was the coaching he received in his formative years. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
What is all this bs about Top 7? If UR was truly playing position-less basketball then that may make a little bit of sense, but they don’t. I think you have to break it down a bit more. So let’s focus on guards. That is obviously where there is the most competition and in terms of offense impact players it has really only been JayNel and even he has had some down moments, which is to be expected. There is a bunch of “want to” out there, but I haven’t seen anything. Roche has a great 3 point shot, but he isn’t getting many attempts in “the offense”, so is he really needed on the court? Then there is the defensive side of the ball. I haven’t seen anyone truly differentiate themselves here either. I think all the guards have given good effort. So to me, the competition should still be wide open other than JayNel playing the most at the point. However, it does seem that there isn’t a level playing field and that to me is unfortunate.

Can confirm, Sdad is a good dude. Introduced myself a few weeks ago. 4700, you should take him up on the offer.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Most of the people on this board, if not all, are rooting for Dji to succeed. I understand how difficult it must be when you have limited minutes and a short leash to play to prove yourself. With that said, players with limited minutes need to play with confidence and show they deserve more minutes. If they succeed, the minutes will be there.

starters get a longer leash. they're considered our best players. guys off the bench have to contribute to keep or expand their role, but they're in to get starters a rest. if you're seen as the 8th guy, you're going to get a 3 minute run. if you make the most of it often enough, you move up in the rankings. it's very tough to show what you can do in short runs, but that's all you get.

I don't think anyone really thought Randolph would be a factor this year. he's proven a lot in his 3 minutes runs. he and Dji overlap in position a bit but are different players. I know stats are limited, but Randolph looks like a shooter. he's not a creator, or a penetrator. Dji's the opposite. but both bust it on defense. it doesn't have to be one or the other. they can totally play together. but we do have other good players competing for those same minutes.

most anyone with a kid who's ever played at any level understands the frustration of knowing what your kid is capable of and wanting everyone else to see it. it's just super hard to get and take advantage of opportunities with a deep and talented roster. we probably have 6 or 7 guys who know they could do more if given the chance. and we probably have 13 sets of parents who think their sons should be doing more, lol!
Randolph is a dog and that is why he is getting time. By dog, I mean, he is gritty, intense, plays with an edge out there. His skill is not getting him time, it's more his persona.

I'll refer back to my 76'ers. He is a bit like PJ Tucker. For the life of me, I can't ever see what exactly PJ Tucker does to warrant his minutes. He does not score, barely rebounds, he looks like he eats 3 square meal a day at IHOP, but coaches love him, his teammates love him, he is a pest out there. So, Randolph, I think has shown his dog status with Mooney and that gets him time.

Randolph is a dog and that is why he is getting time. By dog, I mean, he is gritty, intense, plays with an edge out there. His skill is not getting him time, it's more his persona.
dog will get you part of the way, but Dread might be a dog too without finding the floor.
Randolph has played well ... not just hustled. he's hit shots. that plus intensity gets you on the floor.

Most of the people on this board, if not all, are rooting for Dji to succeed. I understand how difficult it must be when you have limited minutes and a short leash to play to prove yourself. With that said, players with limited minutes need to play with confidence and show they deserve more minutes. If they succeed, the minutes will be there.
I would certainly hope it is everyone on here who is rooting for him to succeed. I know I am. When his first 3 went down, I posted on here I bet SDad was thinking "take that 4700", and when Dji has looked good out there, I have said so. But, I expect my 8th or 9th guys to play well out there. If Randolph goes out and gives us 15 solid minutes, I will say so, but it doesn't mean he should get a lot more playing time.

You can play well, have a good season, be a key part of the team, and still be 8th or 9th in minutes most games. It sure looks like we have a top 7 on this team. So, some nights the 8th or 9th guy might get 12+ minutes, other nights maybe 8 or less. That is just the way it is at nearly every program out there. Many teams only play 7 guys, so their 8th or 9th guys don't even play any meaningful minutes. Doesn't mean they aren't talented basketball players. Just means they are behind guys. It's another reason why you see so many transfers now.

Reactions: GKiller
What is all this bs about Top 7? If UR was truly playing position-less basketball then that may make a little bit of sense, but they don’t. I think you have to break it down a bit more. So let’s focus on guards. That is obviously where there is the most competition and in terms of offense impact players it has really only been JayNel and even he has had some down moments, which is to be expected. There is a bunch of “want to” out there, but I haven’t seen anything. Roche has a great 3 point shot, but he isn’t getting many attempts in “the offense”, so is he really needed on the court? Then there is the defensive side of the ball. I haven’t seen anyone truly differentiate themselves here either. I think all the guards have given good effort. So to me, the competition should still be wide open other than JayNel playing the most at the point. However, it does seem that there isn’t a level playing field and that to me is unfortunate.
7 guys average 21+ minutes a game. The same 7 guys have played 15+ minutes in each of their games. The same 7 guys have started at least 1 game this year. Yes, we have a top 7. Doesn't mean an 8th or 9th guy can't or won't play more minutes than some of the top 7 some games, but the top 7 seems pretty clear.

And, did you ask if Roche were needed out there? LOL. And, you ask for a level playing field? What does that even mean? Play less talented the guys the same minutes as more talented guys?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT