ADVERTISEMENT

3 point shooting first 5 games

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
A number of people have said we are not a good 3 point shooting team, but the data through 5 games of people with 4 or more attempts is the opposite. The team average would be a lot higher if Mikkel hadn't taken so many shots. Even with all Roche's recent misses his percentage made isn't that bad. We will see a number of these high percentages come down, but it is a very strong start.

3PT3PTA3PT%
King, Jordan1428.500
Bigelow, Isaiah611.545
Hunt, DeLonnie310.300
Bailey, Dji34.750
Walz, Mike45.800
Noyes, Aidan410.400
Roche, Jason618.333
Tyne, Mikkel212.167

Not sure what your point is, but we currently rank 38th and the coach does have control on how much a player shoots.
Just having some fun. It would be great if we could continue shooting the 3 ball efficiently. I think if we start relying on a high volume of 3 balls we’re going to get in trouble, but that’s my 2 cents.

So far our 3 point shooting in losses has been rough, while it has been very good in our wins.

3 wins:

VMI - 37% (but before the walk-ons/end of bench guys got in we shot 41%)

Siena - 56%

UNLV - 64%

2 losses:

BC - 26%

Colorado - 25%

If we hit even 30% in those losses I think we win them both. So far it seems we’re Jekyll & Hyde from deep. Let’s hope we find more consistency

Just having some fun. It would be great if we could continue shooting the 3 ball efficiently. I think if we start relying on a high volume of 3 balls we’re going to get in trouble, but that’s my 2 cents.

So far our 3 point shooting in losses has been rough, while it has been very good in our wins.

3 wins:

Siena - 56%

UNLV - 64%

2 losses:

BC - 26%

Colorado - 25%

If we hit even 30% in those losses I think we win them both. So far it seems we’re Jekyll & Hyde from deep. Let’s hope we find more consistency
The next 2 opponents (Queens & Wichita) both have been good at defending the three.
While the last 6 OOC opponents have all had trouble defending the the three, including UNI & Florida.
Hopefully we can exploit that.

we've shot well and we have a couple guys I think are legitimate shooters, but in general I don't think shooting is our calling card.

and because of that ... there will be games where it looks ugly and this board will melt down.

but I do think our defense is very strong, so hopefully that keeps us in the poor shooting games.

3 wins:

Siena - 56%

UNLV - 64%

2 losses:

BC - 26%

Colorado - 25%

You make a good point between how we shoot in wins vs Losses, however the games we lost were one bucket games close to final minute. One more 3 might have done it for us. If Hunt hadn't gotten hurt, we might have beat Colorado, despite the bad calls from the refs.

Last edited:
Early. Small data set So far the biggest difference from traditional Mooney teams is not the 3-ball, but the defense.

Geez, they way they have played, particularly the last 2 games, should give them a chance to win most games.

Like this team! They seem to have mutual trust, confidence, and communal "mojo".

If Bigelow can continue a pace even close to that, he becomes much more valuable on the court. He had his best all-around game for us last night.

Early. Small data set So far the biggest difference from traditional Mooney teams is not the 3-ball, but the defense.

Geez, they way they have played, particularly the last 2 games, should give them a chance to win most games.

Like this team! They seem to have mutual trust, confidence, and communal "mojo".
Totally agree, KE, I don't think I've ever seen a Mooney team play with the defensive intensity that this team has played with so far. Even a couple of players who are struggling offensively are dialed in on defense. We did not shoot the 3 ball well in our 2 losses and both were there for the taking due to our defense.

To what or whom do we attribute this defense? Boyden? He's listed as our defensive guy.

To what or whom do we attribute this defense? Boyden? He's listed as our defensive guy.
I recall last season being very happy with the defensive effort, especially early in the year. Quickness kills. I think our team quickness helps, but overall great effort. Have seen Quinn make a lot of plays by hustling to get in the play.

while defense can be taught and improved, I think so much of it is recruiting players who are plus defenders ... both out of HS and in the portal. it has to have been intentional.

Hunt, Bailey and Harris are terrific defensively. Bigelow too. Quinn has improved and King is good too. we've usually had one really good defender. that's not enough. one breakdown in a possession leads to an open look. we're giving up less of those this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT