ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

this is why I feel we got a bit lucky in the portal last year. maybe we prioritized King. but we threw darts. we had a bunch of guys in. we made a buch of guys' final lists ... and didn't land them. the guys we targeted early went elsewhere. just so happens that the guys we hit on late panned out. I don't think that was by design.

Deuce Turner out of San Diego. Played one year at Bucknell, one year at a JUCO, and then two at USD. Leading scorer this year at 15.5 ppg and shooting 37% from deep even though he mostly came off the bench. WCC Sixth Man of the Year.

Reactions: urfan1
Losing Bigs and Dji is a big blow this offseason. Really hoping we can get some athletic, tough minded players to replace. Last offseason, we lost Burton - which turned out to be not nearly the blow many thought. To me a lot of this was due to Dji stepping his game up. And I do think the late Harris pick up was big. I really did not give it much thought at the time, but that was a guy that was tough, could play D, hit a shot when left open. Great option to put in the game. We had three guys that could defend and rebound, we need to replace that.

Replacing King, that will be hard. I am doubtful we find a scorer that dynamic. My hope is that we fill out the roster with more scoring threats and we can spread the load around more this season. I know, I know the mooney model works best when we have that KA type force.

I think Mannon can be a really critical piece. He can fill one of those wing/big guard slots. Looks like he has that toughness and athleticism. Can use his size vs smaller guards. That would be a great starting point to this off season rebuild.

Deon Perry visited Bryant this week and will visit Fairfield and Iona in the coming weeks.

Anthony Selden from Rice is back in the portal this year. We were involved with him last year when he was getting out of Gardner-Webb.

Also Tyler Nickel from Tech, who we recruited out of high school, but I'm sure he'll have plenty of big offers.

Based on this headline, it seems like we're making some headway with Brickus, but our competion is stiff.

Anyone have an On3 subscription? This article is paywalled and I can't read it.

I broke down and paid the $1.08 for a month.

“Right now, I’m hearing the most from Virginia, Loyola-Chicago, Cal, VCU, and Richmond,” Brickus said.

RICHMOND: “They play through their bigs a lot. They use a lot of screens in their offense. Their offense will also allow me to play in the post some. Their guards are physical and they play a trapping defense.”

“I am looking to set and go on my visits after the dead period,” Brickus said. “I’d like to commit by mid to late April.

“I want to play for a team that can get to the NCAA Tournament. So I’m looking for what the team will have with me. I want to win. Player development will be big for me too.”

Good to hear we're being highly considered for Brickus. Any news on his La Salle teammate Khalil Brantley? The one thing that sticks out to me from that La Salle game this year, other than Dji's best game as a spider 😢, was Brantley and Mooney were talking a lot during and after the game. Haven't seen any updates though on Brantley since he entered the portal.

I broke down and paid the $1.08 for a month.
Well, he apparently likes the Commonwealth, with us, VCU, and UVA. I think UVA and VCU are probably better suited for an NCAA bid than us at this point next year. I know UVA has a big need for guards as we do. VCU, I think will depend on what Jackson and Shulga do. I think our selling point is what Mooney made Jordan King next year and pairing him along side a returning D-Lo.

I like Brickus a lot. He is a big time shot maker.

Good to hear we're being highly considered for Brickus. Any news on his La Salle teammate Khalil Brantley? The one thing that sticks out to me from that La Salle game this year, other than Dji's best game as a spider 😢, was Brantley and Mooney were talking a lot during and after the game. Haven't seen any updates though on Brantley since he entered the portal.

Isn’t Brantley an undergrad w 1 year left? Don’t think we’ve ever taken one like that. Does make it a little harder to graduate at UR. If he’s a grad that’s different but only been there 3 years. We shouldn’t close door on anyone these days but likely last on our list. We’ll look for multi year transfers or the grad transfers.

Tyne and Hunt will give us great run at the 1. Walz will be a legit 5. Now we just need the 2-4 to emerge.

Tyler Nickel was my #1 target as a HS recruit 2 years ago - seemed he was perfect fit, a wing with size who was a lights out shooter. Going to UNC seems to have validated his game. Clearly the ACC is not where he needs to be after another portal entry after 1 year at VaTech.

2 years left, shot 40% from 3, 82% from the line, 8.8 ppg at Tech.

He would have all the shots he could handle from day 1 at UR. Assuming we could get in the running, would again be my top target. Feel he could be like Bigs only more dynamic of a scorer, and also the type of player that could put up the offensive numbers the UR offense will need immediately.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Like the way your are thinking Brooklyn. Was just sorting through the Athletic's portal DB, and I am seeing a lot of wings that had some success at the high major level, but could not be " the guy". We have had some success - but not NCAA success - with lifting guys from lower levels. It seems like it might be worthwhile to try to grab a guy from above, with the carrot of increased minutes. Losing both Dji and Bigs, we need to act quick and get replacements. Manon + one of these step down wings could be very very good. That allows us work the two freshman wings in were we can, but still competing for top of A10.
I am really enjoying the portal era so far. We would normally be in a dead period and talking about how the freshman will be instant impact, Noyes will rejuvenate, etc just hoping for the best. Mooney has some opportunity here, hopefully can pounce.

Tyler Nickel: Local kid from just over the mountain in Elkton. Could be a great fit.
This sounds like a job for............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
The Giper

That reminds me of a very wealthy, now deceased client, that would often say it's amazing how much better I look the larger my bank account gets.

went to shootaround today, understand none of the transfer "worked out". Was told Manon had already left town, was good visit. Saw Dusan Neskovic from distance, good size looks ready to play. Understand Jonathan Beagle was to arrive this afternoon.

Doing shooting and passing drills. Dlo and Tanner looked well connected on passes, Tanner hit an estimated 80% of his 3's.

That reminds me of a very wealthy, now deceased client, that would often say it's amazing how much better I look the larger my bank account gets.
A long ago work associate referred to it as having a “pocketful of personality”.

This sounds like a job for............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
The Giper
Girlfriend plays on the VCU women's team. Any school in the greater metro Richmond area gets him closer.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Well, he apparently likes the Commonwealth, with us, VCU, and UVA. I think UVA and VCU are probably better suited for an NCAA bid than us at this point next year. I know UVA has a big need for guards as we do. VCU, I think will depend on what Jackson and Shulga do. I think our selling point is what Mooney made Jordan King next year and pairing him along side a returning D-Lo.

I like Brickus a lot. He is a big time shot maker.
Have some nice players coming for visits and hope we get them, but Brickus is my #1, #2, and #3 target due to his playing style fitting Mooneys system and familiarity with the A10. I know we gotta replace Bigs, Quinn and probably Dji, but this guy is the real deal. 41 points vs Temple? 13 pts on 60%+ shooting against Duke? 20 vs VCU? Sign me up. His toughness with DLOs leadership give us a great backcourt. Raw under his first coach but showed flashes, showed solid improvement under Dunphy, hopefully he sees Mooney's work with smaller guards as a positive. Every time I saw him play I saw a perfect fit for this offense.

plus he's got one of the greatest (worst?) names for a college basketball player!
Pair him with Leland Walker from EKU and Tyler (from Tech) Nickel, who we are also after, and it’s the perfect(ly awful) basketball name combo. Brick, walk, technical.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Ali Abdou Dibba from Abilene Christian. 6'4" guard and leading scorer, but not a big three point shooter.

went to shootaround today, understand none of the transfer "worked out". Was told Manon had already left town, was good visit. Saw Dusan Neskovic from distance, good size looks ready to play. Understand Jonathan Beagle was to arrive this afternoon.

Doing shooting and passing drills. Dlo and Tanner looked well connected on passes, Tanner hit an estimated 80% of his 3's.
any buzz from the visits, fan1?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT