ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

We would sell out VT at us. Will be interesting to see how they do.
Last NIT home game was 2016 vs princeton and had over 8k. Figure the less a home crowd the better but nothing wrong with playing in front of a full house. Don't think they get 8k, but well see.

Not interested at all. The NIT is not a prize. And neither is A10 regular season championship. Should be as it way more of an accomplishment than winning the A10 tourny, but it isn't. The NCAAs is the only barometer of a successful season. Period.

As such, it is so sad to see such an incredible group of cohesive, determined guys get nothing for an incredible season. I can't imagine a better group with a better chance to make a run in the NCAAs. And I honestly can't imagine putting together a group as good as this one again.

The task of having a successful season feels almost impossible. I sometimes don't know why I put myself through it. I feel like I'm dieing right now, so I can't even imagine what the players are going thru. But I'm a Spider forever, and you'll always be Spider Family, too. Thanks for representing us well. I hurt with you.

I know many of you will follow the rest of the men's college basketball season, but for me it's over. I'm a Spider. That's it.
I will never understand why winning the postseason conference tournament gets an automatic bid but winning the regular season doesn’t. It’s backwards! I’ve always had this opinion-not saying this because of this year. I have a very empty feeling. The Spiders and all regular season champs should be in the NCAA tournament!

I will never understand why winning the postseason conference tournament gets an automatic bid but winning the regular season doesn’t. It’s backwards! I’ve always had this opinion-not saying this because of this year. I have a very empty feeling. The Spiders and all regular season champs should be in the NCAA tournament!
Two years ago, it worked in our favor. This year it didn’t.

Reactions: urfan1
Of course the answer is money. No conference tournaments = less revenue for conferences and TV networks. and you have to make the tournaments worth something or else no one would watch.

Would be interesting if they switched the setup to take the regular season champs and the tournament champs of every league, and then a handful of at-large teams.

Let's go out and win some games. Kenpom has this as Va Tech by 6. ACC fans will have this take post game: 1. If we win, this will be a result of the lack of interest and de-motivation of an ACC team missing the dance. 2. If Tech wins this will just show the chasm of a very mediocre ACC team over the A10 regular season champs. That said, hoping our guys are fired up for this one and ready to play some defense.

Anybody seen Tech play? What to expect?
I’ve watched several games on TV. They have guys that can light it up from deep and are also aggressive when taking to the rim. They are a talented team. They blew out Va the last time they played.

This question doesn't make any sense to me relative to non-power conference teams. I would think it extremely rare that non power conference teams would pass on the NIT. It is obviously not the NCAA, but it is an honor to be selected and does help with recruiting, fundraising, ticket sales. Everything about it is good. I hope we make it and if so, watching all the games.
I've come around. I needed time to be disappointed. I'm ok with the NIT being our fallback. I just hate it when we are reaching for it. Let's make it a recruiting tool by winning the whole thing.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Our resume was NOT good. 7-5 coming into a10 play there was really no shot at an at large. It had to come down to Brooklyn and we choked it (not surprised with the coach we have) I don’t know why fans are pissed we aren’t in, we didn’t deserve it

With the P6 teams pulling out of the NIT (yet there are still 19 who opted in and are playing in the NIT), should the NIT have a some sort of carrot at the end for winning the tourney. Is there any incentive out there you think would make more of the bubble teams participate in the NIT?

4 A10 teams in NIT.

Yeah the new rules really hurt. LMAO.
A10 always gets a lot of teams in the NIT.

The new rules giving advantage to bad teams from "power" conferences sucks. One of the great things about the NIT was a chance to host good teams.

But let's win this thing and improve recruiting. Would love to play and beat Villanova. Other side of bracket, so gotta win some games.

I think the NIT should go back to auto-bids for the league regular season champion. I though it was a good consolation for those smaller leagues where a team dominates all season, then loses in their conference tourney. And I think those are teams more willing and wanting to play than the P6 teams that pulled out for BS reasons of the transfer portal and benefit the kids who need to finish their schoolwork (but I bet if they made the NCAA tourney - they wouldn't say no to that because of academic responsibilities).

And why not get an agreement with the NCAA tourney - and lets have the NIT champion and NCAA champion kick off the next season on national TV - make it a day where it is the only game on the schedule for all of college and make it some neutral court event to kick off the NCAA season. Kinda like the NFL does - the first game is usually all alone to signal the beginning of the season. Would that entice P6 schools to keep playing in NIT? It would certainly make mid-majors want to win the NIT, cause they will likely get a great game out of it next season.

Playing Tech at their place is a tough assignment - they lost two home games - Duke and Florida State and clobbered UVA 75 -41 - the more of their fans that stay home the better..................

New NIT rules for selection are heavily weighted toward P-6 and as a result heavily stack the odds of a P-6 team winning the tournament which is what they want. Whole thing is a sham compared to what it used to be.................

And why not get an agreement with the NCAA tourney - and lets have the NIT champion and NCAA champion kick off the next season on national TV - make it a day where it is the only game on the schedule for all of college and make it some neutral court event to kick off the NCAA season. Kinda like the NFL does - the first game is usually all alone to signal the beginning of the season. Would that entice P6 schools to keep playing in NIT? It would certainly make mid-majors want to win the NIT, cause they will likely get a great game out of it next season.
I like that idea but I'll take it further.
guarantee all 32 NIT teams a game at the top 32 NCAA tournament teams on opening night. match teams up as best as possible geographically. that would be epic.

And Georgia gets a seed & home game as the 11th place teams in SEC with conf rcd of 6-12 & 17-16 overall, but we don't get seed & home game. Bull$shit on new NIT selection criteria & ranking,
Xavier and Georgia getting bids is crap. And if the field is every expanded to 96, these teams will now be playing in the NCAA's. At a minimum, you shouldn't be allowed to play any postseason if you are not at least a .500 team.

They can't be THAT good or else they'd be in the tournament. Tough environment of course but it won't be at ACC levels tomorrow night, I'm sure. Let's get this W.

maybe 25% of an ACC level enviroment. All these p6 teams are ripe for upsets. U just don't know what kind of level of investment you'll get especially game 1. Our own won't be the same either. But likely better than Tech's which should help us win.

Tech fans are saying in their boards that losing to us would be "an embarrassment." I guess they weren't embarrassed to barely keep their heads above water in a bad ACC though.
Tell me you don't follow college basketball closely without saying you don't follow college basketball closely. I mean we play in the same state, we won a really good basketball league; Tech fans can't really be that ignorant can they?

With the P6 teams pulling out of the NIT (yet there are still 19 who opted in and are playing in the NIT), should the NIT have a some sort of carrot at the end for winning the tourney. Is there any incentive out there you think would make more of the bubble teams participate in the NIT?

17. Not 19. But the p6 really aren't taking a lot more spots, the NIT needs them to remain viable. The lack of the Utah Valley's of the lower leagues taking spots is what helps the Richmonds.

Syracuse I believe opted out too.

Isn’t it up to the conference to determine how to award their auto bid? Like the ivy used to give it to the regular season champ? The leagues must like the extra chance to sell tickets and get on TV. No reason to have a conference tourney if it is for nothing.

New NIT rules for selection are heavily weighted toward P-6 and as a result heavily stack the odds of a P-6 team winning the tournament which is what they want. Whole thing is a sham compared to what it used to be.................
Looking over it was thinking that way. A10 got what 4 teams in NIT. Question, if the P6 teams that didn't want to be in it, said yes ..... would lower ranked P6 schools lose out or less mid majors?

The Ivy didn't have a conference tournament until 2017, so yeah, the regular-season champ earned the bid. There are other scenarios where like the tournament champ is ineligible for the NCAA, so they usually give it to the runner-up. But I believe it is up to the conference.

17. Not 19. But the p6 really aren't taking a lot more spots, the NIT needs them to remain viable. The lack of the Utah Valley's of the lower leagues taking spots is what helps the Richmonds.

Syracuse I believe opted out too.
17 is correct - with 3 coming from AAC and 4 from A10.

Seton Hall (Big East)
LSU (SEC)
Providence (Big East)
BC (ACC)
Wake (ACC)
Georgia (SEC)
Xavier (Big East)
VA Tech (ACC)
Ohio State (Big Ten)
Butler (Big East)
Minnesota (Big Ten)
Cincy (Big 12)
Nova (Big East)
UCF (Big 12)
Iowa (Big Ten)
Kansas State (Big 12)
Utah (Pac)

I wonder how many lower level regular season champs did not end up winning their conference tourneys? And therefore would have "stolen" NIT bids from some of these P6 schools or higher mid-majors - like the A10. I did a quick count and it looks like 8 teams won their league regular season and didn't make the NIT (some did - like Indiana State - so didn't count them as they got in anyways). SO you would need to swap out 8 teams, which would be some of the P6 and some of the "others" like the A10. But I think you can easily make a case to throw out BC, Georgia, Xavier, UCF, and North Texas,(AAC). Then probably 4 from the others which would include A10 teams.

Just my opinion - if the P6 teams are going to decline, then why should the NIT have a deal with them to invite them? If they have a deal to invite them - it should be mandatory they will accept (which I would have thought would occur behind closed doors). The fact that P6 teams can and will decline, just shows they are controlling the NIT. I mean imagine the meeting they had to discuss this with the P6 conferences.

NIT - "We would like to offer auto-bids to top 12 non NCAA teams from your leagues"
P6 leagues - "Thats great".
NIT - "But we need you to say you will play in it, no matter what"
P6 - Sorry - can't do that. Academics might play a role in decisions. And you know the portal is important to teams who didn't make the NCAA, they need first pick of the portal to try and better their team so they don't make the NIT next year, but make the NCAA.
NIT - Thats okay, just thought we would ask. Thanks for working with us P6.

Someone please explain why Dayton is in NCAA? no conference champion no conference finals so I dont know how
Watching them play enough in A10 sure didn't look like a bid team. Though quickly going to kenpom, beat St John's n LSU neutral. Beat Cincy and SMU away. Lost to Houston and Northwestern away. All four league losses were away to teams Kenny had in top 100. Only had two cupcakes on schedule. My eye test said no but resume said yes?

Reactions: gospidersgo
Tell me you don't follow college basketball closely without saying you don't follow college basketball closely. I mean we play in the same state, we won a really good basketball league; Tech fans can't really be that ignorant can they?
Substitute "arrogant" for "ignorant".................

Someone please explain why Dayton is in NCAA? no conference champion no conference finals so I dont know how
Metrics/resume. #23 in the NET, #32 in Kenpom, 8-7 in Q1 and Q2 games (3 Q1 wins), 15-0 in Q3/Q4 games. No bad losses, not even any questionable losses.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Yep. My daughter ( Tech kid) is going. Tickets are $20 a pop. Not sure if this is just for students or not.

Plus, she had no idea they were playing until I told her
Got to love our daughters - when my youngest was at UVA she went to games only for the social life with her sorority..........Halfway through the season she had no clue Dave Leitao was the basketball coach.....................

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I’ve watched several games on TV. They have guys that can light it up from deep and are also aggressive when taking to the rim. They are a talented team. They blew out Va the last time they played.
Real streaky team that plays fast and at times very undisciplined. When hot they can shoot the opponent out of the gym.

Metrics/resume. #23 in the NET, #32 in Kenpom, 8-7 in Q1 and Q2 games (3 Q1 wins), 15-0 in Q3/Q4 games. No bad losses, not even any questionable losses.
Agree. They had 4 OOC Q1/Q2 wins and zero bad losses. If we had their OOC record we would be in the NCAA tournament as well. Yes they didnt look great down the stretch but did more than enough to get a bid.

However, I havent looked closely at their matchup, but I am not expecting them to get out of the first round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT