ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

F*ck the nit. It’s a losers tournament and if you get a bid decline it like unc did last year. Listen to the mark Titus show on barstool about how they handled the nit even when they won the whole thing. Tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: fatherspider
I literally just met Joe Lunardi at the Barclays center subway stop. He says 60/40 chance of NIT bid.

Home game seems unlikely with P6 getting at least 12 of the 16, and there will probably be at least one non-P6 in the first four out of NCAA, so at most three slots available to us and I'd think we're further down the pecking order than that.

There's no way the A-10 regular season champion is left out of the NIT, stop being ridiculous. Where are the 32 teams better than us that are not making the NCAA?

Yeah I’ll be shocked if don’t make it. Id love to bang a bet with goofy Lunardi’s 60/40 odds. But stranger things have happened I guess.

Once in a while u feel good about NIT. This is far from it. I’ll follow & root for us of course….but yawn.

Home game seems unlikely with P6 getting at least 12 of the 16, and there will probably be at least one non-P6 in the first four out of NCAA, so at most three slots available to us and I'd think we're further down the pecking order than that.
Question - do $ guarantees beyond the P6 teams play a role in getting home games, or is $ outside the criteria?

Question - do $ guarantees beyond the P6 teams play a role in getting home games, or is $ outside the criteria?
Unless they've changed things as part of this year's changes to auto bids, no. There is no bidding anyway...the NCAA takes all ticket revenue and redistributes that and media rights to the participants.

They develop a seed list and the bracketing is done with some geographic, competitive balance, and matchup (separating conference teams and regular-season opponents early in the bracket) considerations, but once the bracket is done it's simply that the higher-seeded team is given the option to host in each round unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I agree with Joe on this - its probably 60/40 right now and do I think we should be in the NIT - YES. Why - cause we won the league championship and I loved that auto bid to the NIT in the first place. But they have removed it and replaced it with the NET rankings from the P6. So while we SHOULD get in - we have a lot against us and we could potentially be used as an example for the NET. I mean how many A10 regular season champions never made the tourney or were at least on the bubble, and then if they took a step further and snubbed us from the NIT - that would only solidify the NCAA belief and backing of the NIT.

I don't see a lot of opt outs for the NIT as I think the NET ranking selection was discussed behind closed doors with them beforehand. As a result - those conferences were guaranteed home games, which in turn - brings them one more game of revenue at least. And if you think fans won't show up for the likes of Villanova or Wake Forest - enough will show up.

And I don't see player opt outs on these NIT teams unless a kid is a sure fire top 20 pick, otherwise - they will look at the NIT as more games to showcase against good competition. If anything - you might see guys play and be more selfish in the NIT to try and strengthen their highlight tapes and stats. And this year draft is very weak from an college perspective - majority of first round will be foreign players. So probably better for these kids to play than sit out.

I think had we won Mason, and lost to St. Joes - we would be closer to 80/20 on the NIT front. But losing both, and getting embarrassed by Mason didn't help - brings it down to that 60/40 or 50/50 mark even.

Do we receive any money for playing in this? If so, I say go for it, or leave the decision up to the players whether to participate or not. Or perhaps we need to if invited so we could do preseason NIT down the road as a gesture of goodwill, otherwise end the season.

Just stop. It's not 60/40. F that and F anyone who thinks that, Lunardi included. It's simply wrong. We're in the NIT if we want to be in the NIT.
Right, we are going to be in the NIT that is not really a question in my mind.

I am going to war with the nit. We should not be in it. Gonna drive me absolutely nuts if they put tech and Richmond together. Game result will not count on either side no matter what happens because the nit is not a real tournament.

I am going to war with the nit. We should not be in it. Gonna drive me absolutely nuts if they put tech and Richmond together. Game result will not count on either side no matter what happens because the nit is not a real tournament.
Does this mean you'll go away again, since it isn't a real tournament and result won't count? That would be great.

I mean I am going to the first and second round of the ncaa tournament next week in Charlotte for fun so won’t really be thinking about or stupid nit bid when I’m down there. Just would be nice to have a team of mine in the tournament this year.

Just stop. It's not 60/40. F that and F anyone who thinks that, Lunardi included. It's simply wrong. We're in the NIT if we want to be in the NIT.
I don’t know.

what will our NET be tomorrow?

Not interested at all. The NIT is not a prize. And neither is A10 regular season championship. Should be as it way more of an accomplishment than winning the A10 tourny, but it isn't. The NCAAs is the only barometer of a successful season. Period.

As such, it is so sad to see such an incredible group of cohesive, determined guys get nothing for an incredible season. I can't imagine a better group with a better chance to make a run in the NCAAs. And I honestly can't imagine putting together a group as good as this one again.

The task of having a successful season feels almost impossible. I sometimes don't know why I put myself through it. I feel like I'm dieing right now, so I can't even imagine what the players are going thru. But I'm a Spider forever, and you'll always be Spider Family, too. Thanks for representing us well. I hurt with you.

I know many of you will follow the rest of the men's college basketball season, but for me it's over. I'm a Spider. That's it.

Not interested at all. The NIT is not a prize. And neither is A10 regular season championship. Should be as it way more of an accomplishment than winning the A10 tourny, but it isn't. The NCAAs is the only barometer of a successful season. Period.

As such, it is so sad to see such an incredible group of cohesive, determined guys get nothing for an incredible season. I can't imagine a better group with a better chance to make a run in the NCAAs. And I honestly can't imagine putting together a group as good as this one again.

The task of having a successful season feels almost impossible. I sometimes don't know why I put myself through it. I feel like I'm dieing right now, so I can't even imagine what the players are going thru. But I'm a Spider forever, and you'll always be Spider Family, too. Thanks for representing us well. I hurt with you.

I know many of you will follow the rest of the men's college basketball season, but for me it's over. I'm a Spider. That's it.
We could put together a much better group and have them in better position to win with a different coach. That’s all we ask for is just someone else to get a chance here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT