ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

I don't see a lot of opt outs for the NIT as I think the NET ranking selection was discussed behind closed doors with them beforehand. As a result - those conferences were guaranteed home games, which in turn - brings them one more game of revenue at least. And if you think fans won't show up for the likes of Villanova or Wake Forest - enough will show up.

Indiana and Ole Miss have already opted out. Maybe they missed the closed door meeting that the rest of the p6 ncaa membership participated in.

Then there is Memphis too.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Think we get a 6 seed, 5 might be the ceiling, and 7 would be down.

So when a P6 opts out that may have been the auto qualifier - do they just go down the list to the next P6 qualifier? And whats really interesting , a possible consequence of the transfer portal - Indiana saying they want to focus on the transfer portal. So not playing allows their coaches to evaluate players in the portal AND also allows them to watch players at mid-majors playing in NCAA and NIT tourney - to possibly pick them off and make offers (as we know occurs before players enter portal). So that was an angle I did not think of but makes sense for the bigger schools who want to recruit and evaluate rather than play more games. So then does the NIT tourney become more mid-major filled, but becomes a tryout tourney for players looking to move up?

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
). So that was an angle I did not think of but makes sense for the bigger schools who want to recruit and evaluate rather than play more games. So then does the NIT tourney become more mid-major filled, but becomes a tryout tourney for players looking to move up?
This is wild, and probably some truth. Soon the mid major coaches will just have the trainers play in the NIT games.

Honestly, the more I read about this crap around the NIT, the more I'm done. It just sounds even suckier than I even thought. I've been trying to get myself to follow it and see if it would be fun playing some interesting teams and maybe ending on a slightly better note, but I don't know if I can do it. It might be best to just accept everything at face value that we blew another promising year. I have had a miserable weekend as a result of our disgusting ending. And I don't know playing in the NIT is going to help resolve any of that.

I can't believe this team that seemed so determined allowed some level of complacency to occur after winning the regular season. Actually, probably not as much that as Mooney getting nervous about handling the pressure of being the #1 seed and getting coach of the year, and that rubbed off on the guys. He seemed anxious to actually get past the quarters as is expected of a #1 seed.

Think we get a 6 seed, 5 might be the ceiling, and 7 would be down.

So when a P6 opts out that may have been the auto qualifier - do they just go down the list to the next P6 qualifier? And whats really interesting , a possible consequence of the transfer portal - Indiana saying they want to focus on the transfer portal. So not playing allows their coaches to evaluate players in the portal AND also allows them to watch players at mid-majors playing in NCAA and NIT tourney - to possibly pick them off and make offers (as we know occurs before players enter portal). So that was an angle I did not think of but makes sense for the bigger schools who want to recruit and evaluate rather than play more games. So then does the NIT tourney become more mid-major filled, but becomes a tryout tourney for players looking to move up?
This stinks. Its cheating. The NCAA has lost control. The P6 should just split off and get it over.

Speaking of Michigan, saw a tweet claiming that JB had interst in coming back 👀
I think Michigan would be better served looking for a younger coach and long term solution. Also don't see it being a good job for JB as it can only ruin/tarnish his coaching career - part of which he already did with the Cavs. if he comes back and they don't make the NCAA tourney quickly - it will be no good.

I think the FAU coach is going to get an offer through the roof. He may turn it down, but its going to be big.

This stinks. Its cheating. The NCAA has lost control. The P6 should just split off and get it over.
And once that happens and we are not playing for a real championship, I will be 100% out. Like fcs football, while div 1, it doesn't mean anything to the greater world. You have to explain to people that we have a football team and that they play Div 1. If that happens in basketball, I'm out.

Football will be the firs to do it. You will have another division/league created like the NFL - that will basically include the SEC/Big Ten and then pick of the rest of the schools from ACC, Big 12, and whatever is left of PAC-12. They will break off probably within the next 5-10 years and it will be run like professional sports. Players will have contracts, get paid by school, etc.

Rest of schools will stay with NCAA, which will likely look wildy different as well. And then a decision will have to be made on the remaining sports.

Trap u r flip flopping more than a pancake.

I’ve been telling u for months re: opt outs and 1 reason being the portal season. U have been telling me it’s the opposite & there was some secret collusion among all p6 schools to play.

I don't care about the outside world.
We have a National Championship, many schools can't say that. Embrace it.
Sort of like in 2012 I told a Gator we won the 2008 NCAA Championship. He looked at me like I was crazy, and I told him you won the Non-NCAA championship.

Harder to say that about future years…

Football will be the firs to do it. You will have another division/league created like the NFL - that will basically include the SEC/Big Ten and then pick of the rest of the schools from ACC, Big 12, and whatever is left of PAC-12. They will break off probably within the next 5-10 years and it will be run like professional sports. Players will have contracts, get paid by school, etc.

Rest of schools will stay with NCAA, which will likely look wildy different as well. And then a decision will have to be made on the remaining sports.
Well, as long as it sticks to football, that's fine. We're already out on that. Just afraid a split will happen in basketball.

Sort of like in 2012 I told a Gator we won the 2008 NCAA Championship. He looked at me like I was crazy, and I told him you won the Non-NCAA championship.

Harder to say that about future years…
When I get someone like that I just say at our level. will explain more if hey ask.

Last edited:
So how many state of Virginia schools in the NIT? UVA, Richmond, Va Tech, VCU? Anyone else or will some schools decline?

Question...who makes the decision as to whether or not to play in the NIT? The administration, the coach, or the players? Curious to know if the players vote on it.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Honestly, the more I read about this crap around the NIT, the more I'm done. It just sounds even suckier than I even thought. I've been trying to get myself to follow it and see if it would be fun playing some interesting teams and maybe ending on a slightly better note, but I don't know if I can do it. It might be best to just accept everything at face value that we blew another promising year. I have had a miserable weekend as a result of our disgusting ending. And I don't know playing in the NIT is going to help resolve any of that.

I can't believe this team that seemed so determined allowed some level of complacency to occur after winning the regular season. Actually, probably not as much that as Mooney getting nervous about handling the pressure of being the #1 seed and getting coach of the year, and that rubbed off on the guys. He seemed anxious to actually get past the quarters as is expected of a #1 seed.
Find yourself a hole to fall in, I will understand your frustration with Spider ball, so you can break away from us once and for all!

Reactions: UR80sfan
Question...who makes the decision as to whether or not to play in the NIT? The administration, the coach, or the players? Curious to know if the players vote on it.
This question doesn't make any sense to me relative to non-power conference teams. I would think it extremely rare that non power conference teams would pass on the NIT. It is obviously not the NCAA, but it is an honor to be selected and does help with recruiting, fundraising, ticket sales. Everything about it is good. I hope we make it and if so, watching all the games.

Getting back to the topic of this thread...NIT selection show is at 9:30pm ET tonight on ESPN2. I am expecting us to be in, but at a lower seed than many of us would probably want. Don't think we'll be hosting any games.

While I'm extremely disappointed in the result from this week, I'm happy to (hopfeully) have a chance to watch this team continue on. Still think it can be meaningful in a few ways.

Last edited:
Getting back to the topic of this thread...NIT selection show is at 9:30pm ET tonight on ESPN2. I am expecting us to be in, but at a lower seed than many of us would probably want. Don't think we'll be hosting any games.

I wouldn’t read much at all into seeds in bottom half. Once they seed the top 16 most taken by p6 teams they look to match up by geography where they can over straight seeding.

Reactions: MDspider8
St. John's has already decided they won't play in the NIT. They join Memphis and Ole Miss as opt-outs.

St. John's has already decided they won't play in the NIT. They join Memphis and Ole Miss as opt-outs.

No shock except to SpiderTrap.

I could see Oklahoma backing out too we’ll see.

IU was another. Even tho I don’t think top 2 remaining in b10 Net they were lock if wanted it. NIT wouldn’t pass on a blue blood with 19 wins ever.

Last edited:
University of Washington supposedly has too.

Is there anyone still remaining that thought the new NIT rules hurts us?

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
But back to NIT - all these upsets can't help our NIT bid. Princeton loses the other day, they likely don't get into the tourney. NC State winning - probably pushes Indiana State out of tourney.
Trap u r flip flopping more than a pancake.

I’ve been telling u for months re: opt outs and 1 reason being the portal season. U have been telling me it’s the opposite & there was some secret collusion among all p6 schools to play.
I don't remember you saying the reason teams would opt out is so they could get a head start on recruiting transfers, but if you did - good for you. I just find it hard to believe the NIT would agree to auto-bid 12 P6 programs, and then have those conferences opt out. So something is up there. If the plan is just take the next P6 program in line - then it will show even more the NCAA and NIT is in bed with the P6 (something we already knew anyways).

I mean look at the NCAA selection - Indiana State - Net 29 - gets left out. Meanwhile Virginia around Net 50 gets in. The NCAA likes the Net when it benefits the P6, but when it doesn't - they will find a reason to leave out the mid-major teams.

Reactions: gcarter52
But back to NIT - all these upsets can't help our NIT bid. Princeton loses the other day, they likely don't get into the tourney. NC State winning - probably pushes Indiana State out of tourney.

I don't remember you saying the reason teams would opt out is so they could get a head start on recruiting transfers, but if you did - good for you. I just find it hard to believe the NIT would agree to auto-bid 12 P6 programs, and then have those conferences opt out. So something is up there. If the plan is just take the next P6 program in line - then it will show even more the NCAA and NIT is in bed with the P6 (something we already knew anyways).

I mean look at the NCAA selection - Indiana State - Net 29 - gets left out. Meanwhile Virginia around Net 50 gets in. The NCAA likes the Net when it benefits the P6, but when it doesn't - they will find a reason to leave out the mid-major teams.

Wait.. u think a few upsets hurts our nit chances more than the opt outs & elimination of lower leagues getting their reg season winner in, helps us? I don’t know what to say.

Yes. I did say that. 3 reasons - portal, coaching changes, teams feel NIT is beneath them.

My sense of self worth is determined by being right on a message board.

spider23 taught me that.

Wait.. u think a few upsets hurts our nit chances more than the opt outs & elimination of lower leagues getting their reg season winner in, helps us? I don’t know what to say.

Yes. I did say that. 3 reasons - portal, coaching changes, teams feel NIT is beneath them.

My sense of self worth is determined by being right on a message board.

spider23 taught me that.
Then do you think UR should decline the NIT invite?

We def need the portal, our team success this year was built on it. No coaching change for a long time. But - should we send the message the NIT is beneath us? What do you think?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT