ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

... but now that they won't compete w NCAA games the upcoming NIT games will get more visibility.
you think so? I'll watch any March Madness game, but have no interest in even a championship NIT game ... unless it's UR. I'd watch preseason baseball before an NIT game.

I didn't even know VCU won (or played) until I unfortunately read fan's post.

Always a near certainty that VCU will 1 up us.

I don't think anyone watched this game, and I bet FMDick couldn't even resell a ticket to it, but now that they won't compete w NCAA games the upcoming NIT games will get more visibility.
In person or on the screen?

“Sunday's attendance was 6,398, the fifth time the Bulls played in front of more than 6,000 fans at the Yuengling Center this season.” out of 10,500 seats…

USF claims it sold out in 3 minutes, but I bet that was lowest of 3 bowls…

Last edited:
In person or on the screen?

“Sunday's attendance was 6,398, the fifth time the Bulls played in front of more than 6,000 fans at the Yuengling Center this season.” out of 10,500 seats…

USF claims it sold out in 3 minutes, but I bet that was lowest of 3 bowls…

Little bit hyperbole Mr. Literal. & on TV I meant.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
you think so? I'll watch any March Madness game, but have no interest in even a championship NIT game ... unless it's UR. I'd watch preseason baseball before an NIT game.

I didn't even know VCU won (or played) until I unfortunately read fan's post.

I didn’t realize they were playing last night either. But games r on espn and the mid week games get more visibility vs. competing with ncaa games at same time that’s for sure. We won reg season but we’d change places with Dayton Duq or VCU now if we could. U did open this thread so I’m not sure I believe u about the Grapefruit League.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
NIT games don't get a lot of visibility really until the final four - which in years past was at MSG, but this year will be at Hinkle Fieldhouse. I guess the question to ask - does playing in the NIT and hopefully going far - help with any success the next year.

I think the last 2 NIT final fours have sent 2 teams to the NCAA the next year, but that is a small sample, and then COVID hit.

But with the transfer reasons - do you think playing in the NIT could also help transfers. Gives them a chance to see your team still playing, still competing. See the coach live and team live. You get a good idea of how the team plays, etc. And for those players going the extra level - probably more at the mid-major level- you see a team still playing 100% even though its just the NIT. Does that mean anything to a transfer? Maybe to some transfers it will - others it will not.

Before transfer portal - the pull of the NIT was if you had a young team, you get more experience under your belt playing real games and getting more practice time. But now with portal - you don't have a lot of young teams anymore because everyone brings in transfers that graduate in 1-2 years. So does the ability to keep playing and show transfers live what your program about add enough value?

I didn’t realize they were playing last night either. But games r on espn and the mid week games get more visibility vs. competing with ncaa games at same time that’s for sure. We won reg season but we’d change places with Dayton Duq or VCU now if we could. U did open this thread so I’m not sure I believe u about the Grapefruit League.
I knew it was yesterday, didn’t know or care what time.

I did see USF attendance skyrocket during their 21-1 run, imagine that. So assumed a decent crowd.

but as for media (TV, Streaming), ehh…

Hopefully vcu has a great run here and Shulga and Luwal catch the attention of some P5 programs and use the exposure as a good excuse to hit the road.

It wouldn't matter. They are a reload program. With a new coach every few years. We are a transition program with the same coach for 20 years.

I had that question about VCU - who do they lose?

They lose Bairstow and Kuany?

Do Shulga, Basmille, and Jackson have their COVID year to use if they wish?

Yes. Hopefully Bamisile stays, nice to have a total loose cannon just firing up terrible shots from everywhere for 35 minutes.
Bamisile has already transferred twice - once between the A10 tourney and NIT, and another one time between games in the NIT. He transfers back to play in the next game. It's a little confusing but it works for Bam Bam.

Yes Bamisile represents the neverending quest to receive a quality education by transferring as often as possible ! (If you take this literally you may miss the point of what a total mockery this play every year for a different school has made of the term "student athlete")

• Haha
Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Hopefully vcu has a great run here and Shulga and Luwal catch the attention of some P5 programs and use the exposure as a good excuse to hit the road.
that might be a real risk! maybe that's why teams didn't accept NIT bids. some rando might get hot and hit the portal!

Reactions: Eight Legger
Maybe Bamisile can "lobby" for transferring within a season as many times as desired? But don't want his academic quest to suffer.................

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
He has a sick aunt in Alaska, probably, so don't be surprised if he ends up at Alaska-Fairbanks.

My take on Bamisile is he's a good kid. It sounds like he did in fact have family considerations. I don't judge him for his path--everyone is different. It's not at all what I would choose (or recommend for my own kids), but I am not in his shoes.

My issue is with the rules and NCAA. This shouldn't be permitted, and I personally prefer a modified rule that says its a free transfer if (1) your coach leaves; or (2) you've graduated. Otherwise, you sit a year. Period.

I was ok with the idea of kids getting one transfer where they could play right away. But being able to transfer and play right away every year is kind of ridiculous.
Portal is like a free agent pool that never signs more than a one year contract. A kid transferring each year, has
no interest in academics of any sort and the word commitment never entered his vocabulary. I would never hire
anyone that jumped ship so frequently

Portal is like a free agent pool that never signs more than a one year contract. A kid transferring each year, has
no interest in academics of any sort and the word commitment never entered his vocabulary. I would never hire
anyone that jumped ship so frequently
it's not just in sports. kids today change jobs 5 times before they're 30. the grass is always greener.

But I thought Bamisile is the exception. In reality - the portal is to allow 1 time transfer. But when COVID hit, and the mental health become top of mind - some players found a way to exploit this.

I have no issue with the portal if you want to transfer and you get 1 free pass. And then maybe you get a 2nd free pass if you graduate and still have 1 year of eligibility left. I am okay with that. So really - you could max out at 2 transfers, but one is contingent on graduation AND having time left. But this idea you can transfer every year, I don't think is supposed to occur. But the NCAA has no grasp over it, and therefore - the system currently in place is the wild west.

Reactions: urfan1
But I thought Bamisile is the exception. In reality - the portal is to allow 1 time transfer. But when COVID hit, and the mental health become top of mind - some players found a way to exploit this.

I have no issue with the portal if you want to transfer and you get 1 free pass. And then maybe you get a 2nd free pass if you graduate and still have 1 year of eligibility left. I am okay with that. So really - you could max out at 2 transfers, but one is contingent on graduation AND having time left. But this idea you can transfer every year, I don't think is supposed to occur. But the NCAA has no grasp over it, and therefore - the system currently in place is the wild west.
yep - with the current court cases, NCAA appears to think they don't have the ability to control transfers at this point so I think the current assumption is that anyone can transfer any year w/o any years to sit.

My take on Bamisile is he's a good kid. It sounds like he did in fact have family considerations. I don't judge him for his path--everyone is different. It's not at all what I would choose (or recommend for my own kids), but I am not in his shoes.

My issue is with the rules and NCAA. This shouldn't be permitted, and I personally prefer a modified rule that says its a free transfer if (1) your coach leaves; or (2) you've graduated. Otherwise, you sit a year. Period.
I'm fine with one free transfer and even one more if you wanna grad transfer.

But what folks like Bamismile is doing just makes a mockery out of the whole concept of "student" athlete and getting a college degree. And he maybe a "good" kid but is he a responsible mature kid who is able to think not just about himself but his teammates? I would question that based on his history. Just as I would question someone who submitted a resume where they are changing jobs every year. Red flags.

Would you trust anything he told you? I wouldn't. He has already transferred 4 times. I hope whomever he is dating isn't taking his commitment to them too seriously either.
Wait ..............you mean his girlfriend hasn't transferred 4 times also to be with the one she loves? I'll go with you honey no matter where life leads you...............I can hear it now!

Speaking of mental health the NCAA needs to ease off all these mental health announcements during game times or I will lose mine(mind).....it's to the point of you are a snowflake, you need a safe space, and you are losing your mind, get some help!................and if you don't believe it we will run this announcment until you do................

Reactions: mojo-spider
yep - with the current court cases, NCAA appears to think they don't have the ability to control transfers at this point so I think the current assumption is that anyone can transfer any year w/o any years to sit.
I am waiting for the NCAA to have no ability to enforce enrollment before playing…

if you don’t think it’s healthy for players to change schools like underwear, then don't recruit and throw money at players that have already transferred, Dan.

nobody's forcing you. if less teams did, less kids would multi-transfer.

if you don’t think it’s healthy for players to change schools like underwear, then don't recruit and throw money at players that have already transferred, Dan.

Not to defend Hurley, but what is he supposed to do? Not play the portal/NIL game??? He as our all coaches are stuck with having to do a bunch of things that they know are not really in the best interest of the players, that I would presume that most coaches really care about.

Sure, he could make a principled stand and then just put an inferior product out on the court. I'm sure that would go over well with the fan base at UConn.

Not to defend Hurley, but what is he supposed to do? Not play the portal/NIL game??? He as our all coaches are stuck with having to do a bunch of things that they know are not really in the best interest of the players, that I would presume that most coaches really care about.

Sure, he could make a principled stand and then just put an inferior product out on the court. I'm sure that would go over well with the fan base at UConn.
I'm talking the multi-transfer guys. he'd still have plenty of top guys to choose from. he's Hurley at UConn.

in business, I'm not looking to hire a guy who's been at 3 places in 4 years. I'll find someone good that hasn't jumped so much.

Reactions: bullfrog91
I'm talking the multi-transfer guys. he'd still have plenty of top guys to choose from. he's Hurley at UConn.

in business, I'm not looking to hire a guy who's been at 3 places in 4 years. I'll find someone good that hasn't jumped so much.
True, but why is he going to limit his recruiting when none of his competition is. That would just seem like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

But yes, I get what you are saying, if enough coaches got together and said we aren't going to do this, that would dry up the marketplace.

Reactions: SpiderAlways
What this does allow for some schools with deep NIL pockets - maybe it happens at Kentucky this year. If you can keep your core players together - you really can make up some ground on other programs that might be playing the portal game and filling out the roster each year. The issue there is though - you might need to overpay in NIL money to keep players together. If a guy is looking to leave for NIL money, you might pay over market to keep him, but at least you keep him, keep the experience, and keep the team moving forward.

Reactions: urfan1
True, but why is he going to limit his recruiting when none of his competition is. That would just seem like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

But yes, I get what you are saying, if enough coaches got together and said we aren't going to do this, that would dry up the marketplace.

It’s the ADs and Presidents who need to hold the line on the ridiculous coaching contract lengths. Especially if your coach isn’t in demand like ours.

The portal era makes security for recruiting overkill. Yeah when u have to hire a brand new coach u may have to give an extra year but these extensions come on (paging big hat no cattle Hardt).

There is so much less recruiting too. A well respected agent told me assistant football coaches barely recruit anymore. Your collective does most of it.

There is so much less recruiting too. A well respected agent told me assistant football coaches barely recruit anymore. Your collective does most of it.
collectives are scouting? I can see how the $ is an important piece, but outside of fund raising and determining a number, I can't see how they're involved in recruiting.

Bullshit argument but 97 gets it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT