ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

Agree. They had 4 OOC Q1/Q2 wins and zero bad losses. If we had their OOC record we would be in the NCAA tournament as well. Yes they didnt look great down the stretch but did more than enough to get a bid.

However, I havent looked closely at their matchup, but I am not expecting them to get out of the first round.
Truth be told Nevada should be the 7 and Dayton the 10...Go Wolfpack

Watching them play enough in A10 sure didn't look like a bid team. Though quickly going to kenpom, beat St John's n LSU neutral. Beat Cincy and SMU away. Lost to Houston and Northwestern away. All four league losses were away to teams Kenny had in top 100. Only had two cupcakes on schedule. My eye test said no but resume said yes?
I agree - how was Dayton A LOCK and got a good seed for such a poor finish, they are seeded 7th and Indiana State, is on the bubble and gets left out.

Dayton - Net 23. 24-7. Quad 1 3-4 Quad 2 5-3. Quad 3-4 16-0.
Indiana St. - Net 29 27-6. Quad 1 1-4 Quad 2 4-1 Quad 3-4 22-1.

Only explanation I have is that Indiana State had one quad 4 loss. Otherwise, they are pretty close. Close enough where I would say - if Dayton is a lock and a 7 seed. Indiana St. is probably an 11 seed, maybe 12 looking at these numbers, but they get left out entirely - not so sure.

The NCAA committee made their point after the selection show. They look at the whole picture, but the NET is the first thing they look at. This will benefit the big conferences. When a smaller conference school like Indiana St. gets in there - they will then look at their OOC schedule. Which is going to be tough for mid-majors because of the scheduling difficulty. So really - going to be an uphill battle for at-large bid from here on out unless we get a top 30 schedule on the books.

I agree - how was Dayton A LOCK and got a good seed for such a poor finish, they are seeded 7th and Indiana State, is on the bubble and gets left out.

Only explanation I have is that Indiana State had one quad 4 loss. Otherwise, they are pretty close. Close enough where I would say - if Dayton is a lock and a 7 seed. Indiana St. is probably an 11 seed, maybe 12 looking at these numbers, but they get left out entirely - not so sure.
Quad 1 is likely the difference for the committee...only one win there for Sycamores wasn't enough.

And they could only have been a 10-seed at worst if they were going to make it. All 11s and below were auto bids.

or have the exact same schedule we just had and win probably just 2 more games.
Not sure that would have helped. How much would those 2 wins (depending on the 2) increased our NET? If you say we beat Florida and Colorado - then maybe. But if you say we beat Northern Iowa (Net 109), Wichita St. (Net 151) or BC (81) - I am not sure how a combination of those 2 really helps all that much.

Lunardi seems impressed from what I saw in an article about the A10 moving forward cause Dayton got a 7 seed and Duquesne got an 11 seed. But I think unless the conference as a whole really schedules hard OOC, we will be in the similar position each year. 1 bid league, with 1 bid being stolen by conference winner.

Ideally the A10 needs two Dayton-like teams each year - being a top 50 NET team all year long. Then we need 2 teams between 50-70. Then we need 4 teams between 70-100.

This year - we had Dayton at 23. And then drop off to the 70's where we had 8 teams between 70-100. Those 8 teams play each other, and don't move much. But you get some teams in top 50 and 50-70 range, there is movement to be made.

Not sure that would have helped. How much would those 2 wins (depending on the 2) increased our NET? If you say we beat Florida and Colorado - then maybe. But if you say we beat Northern Iowa (Net 109), Wichita St. (Net 151) or BC (81) - I am not sure how a combination of those 2 really helps all that much.

Lunardi seems impressed from what I saw in an article about the A10 moving forward cause Dayton got a 7 seed and Duquesne got an 11 seed. But I think unless the conference as a whole really schedules hard OOC, we will be in the similar position each year. 1 bid league, with 1 bid being stolen by conference winner.

Ideally the A10 needs two Dayton-like teams each year - being a top 50 NET team all year long. Then we need 2 teams between 50-70. Then we need 4 teams between 70-100.

This year - we had Dayton at 23. And then drop off to the 70's where we had 8 teams between 70-100. Those 8 teams play each other, and don't move much. But you get some teams in top 50 and 50-70 range, there is movement to be made.

OR, we could play 13 cupcakes in OOC and beat them all by 30-40 points. That should get our NET up...

I'm pissed that Richmond didn't get a seed and therefore a home game. Princeton got seeded, what's their resume?

The only way I see ANY respect for Richmond coming out of the NIT is to win it.

SO WIN THE DAMN THING.
A few years ago when we were a #1 seed we lost in the semis to o Miami after leading by over 15 at the half then lost.

Son-in-law is a Pitt grad. First he was pissed that NC State stole their bid (Pitt first 4 out). Then he was really pissed when they opted out of the NIT

Reactions: SpiderRick
OR, we could play 13 cupcakes in OOC and beat them all by 30-40 points. That should get our NET up...
That is a strategy, but it doesn't work as well in the A10 because when we get to the A10 and we have usually 6 or more teams over 100 in the NET - you need to beat those teams by 20 points or more as well, which is a tall ask.

But you are correct - beating bad teams by a lot and running up the score does increase your NET, so there is truth to that strategy.

The NCAA committee made their point after the selection show. They look at the whole picture, but the NET is the first thing they look at. This will benefit the big conferences. When a smaller conference school like Indiana St. gets in there - they will then look at their OOC schedule. Which is going to be tough for mid-majors because of the scheduling difficulty. So really - going to be an uphill battle for at-large bid from here on out unless we get a top 30 schedule on the books.
One thing I observed this year is that it is much more difficult to play yourself onto the bubble than play yourself off of the bubble.

Dayton started off 16-2 and was ranked as high as 16, before we beat them and they as I think anyone would see really struggled down the stretch. The wins they had in OOC looked great at the time, but pretty darn pedestrian at the end of the year as none of this big ones is playing in the NCAA. But the cake was already half baked for them and they could just ride the season out effortlessly.

We had an 18-2 stretch this year, yet because we started 5-5, we never even got mentioned as a team on the bubble. We make 1 mistake and poof our chances which we very low to begin with are now suddenly non existant.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
And yet their NET of 55 was just one behind UVA, the lowest-ranked team to get an at-large.

Geez, they didn't play ANYBODY. Zero Q1 games! Only 5 Q2 games and lost 3 of those.
9 Q4 games. WOW
And they got seeded and we didn't. Money talks..
their RPI is 24 vs our 58.
their NET is 55 vs our 73.

we beat 1 NET Q1 team, and we all admit Dayton isn't that good.

And yet their NET of 55 was just one behind UVA, the lowest-ranked team to get an at-large.
I assume it would have been substantially better if they didn't lose to Brown this weekend, but I can't even tell how much wins and losses count in this stupid NET calculation. maybe they needed to beat Brown by a lot.

Quad 1 is likely the difference for the committee...only one win there for Sycamores wasn't enough.

And they could only have been a 10-seed at worst if they were going to make it. All 11s and below were auto bids.

wanted to see Indiana State in there. In a year with less bid stealers they would have been. 2 is about average, this year 5.

I assume it would have been substantially better if they didn't lose to Brown this weekend, but I can't even tell how much wins and losses count in this stupid NET calculation. maybe they needed to beat Brown by a lot.
They were 48 before the Brown loss.

Knew about this but forgot until JOC reminded me…the lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet for the NIT. Also some changes to the media timeout schedules.

I will never understand why winning the postseason conference tournament gets an automatic bid but winning the regular season doesn’t. It’s backwards! I’ve always had this opinion-not saying this because of this year. I have a very empty feeling. The Spiders and all regular season champs should be in the NCAA tournament!
In giving the auto bis to league champ, as you say, what happens in case of a tie, as was the case this year? Do you think they would award a bid based on a tiebreaker? I dont think they would. The league recognizes co-champs.

In giving the auto bis to league champ, as you say, what happens in case of a tie, as was the case this year? Do you think they would award a bid based on a tiebreaker? I dont think they would. The league recognizes co-champs.
everyone colludes to finish the season at .500 in conference--everyone gets in

With the P6 teams pulling out of the NIT (yet there are still 19 who opted in and are playing in the NIT), should the NIT have a some sort of carrot at the end for winning the tourney. Is there any incentive out there you think would make more of the bubble teams participate in the NIT?
Stick, instead of carrot.

If you opt out of this year NIT you are ineligible for next year NCAA…

That can be resolved. You can have an extra game between the tied teams. Or tiebreaker may work. Why not? Head to head can be a determinative factor. This resolvable issue shouldn't be a deterrent.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Stick, instead of carrot.

If you opt out of this year NIT you are ineligible for next year NCAA…
Well - their excuses for missing are total BS anyways. Here is the reasons they are giving.

1) Focus on portal. You can do that and still play in NIT. Take one of your assistant coaches and just pull them and have do all portal work. No scouts for NIT. No practices, etc. Not hard at all. Especially now since NCAA allows more assistants - you might be able to pull 2 away from the team for portal work.

2) Academics - BS. If that was truly the case, you would also need to decline the NCAA tourney. And the NIT is even easier, the teams that declined would have gotten home games. No travel. No missed class. Perfect right?

3) Focus on next year. What better way to focus on next year to keep playing games and practices now. Even if the focus was next year - you could bench all seniors (if you wanted, don't see it happening) and play all underclassmen to see what you got for next year. And I am wiling to bet after the end of their season - they give the players a week or two off before restarting, OR they could be playing real games right now.

What school pulled the academic card? That would be funny to hear.

Portal has some validity. They should push back dates or at least get multi transfer rule back in place. A coaching change also has validity. Others r just made up bc in reality they just don’t want to play in NIT. Beneath them. For some bigger schools or ones that feel they were screwed by ncaa committee.

But they r not going to say that out loud & say the NIT sucks etc and instead say the generic move onto next year.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
... in reality they just don’t want to play in NIT. Beneath them. For some bigger schools or ones that feel they were screwed by ncaa committee.
it's 100% because they feel it's beneath them.
and I'm fine with that. end your season. complain all you want.
NIT will find teams to fill your spot. you won't be missed.

I guess it could be worse and I have no idea why these other two tourney's still exist.

CIT - they have a team that is 11-22 playing in it. Alabama A&M. And it looks from the schedule - they are looking for a team still to play Norfolk St.

CBI - A UR and Mooney favorite in his early days. High Point gets the #1 seed and bye. Low end of the tourney - 12-18 Chicago State is rounding out the field.

• Wow
Reactions: gospidersgo
Bona's AD suddenly resigned last night potentially linked to a mess of a situation involving the NIT. There was confusion about whether Bona had declined a bid or not been invited, and it appears he made the call without informing the team and then there was zero transparency around it.

The best part of that was learning that their student paper is called the Bona Venture. Brilliant!

Also, what a mess. He didn't think of talking to the coach or team first??

Didn't realize Venning had entered the portal either.

Last edited:
VCU moves on winning 70-65 over South Florida. Plays at Utah Wednesday night as one of eight teams left in NIT. Whether we like it or not they are the last A-10 team playing basketball this season.

VCU moves on winning 70-65 over South Florida. Plays at Utah Wednesday night as one of eight teams left in NIT. Whether we like it or not they are the last A-10 team playing basketball this season.

Always a near certainty that VCU will 1 up us.

I don't think anyone watched this game, and I bet FMDick couldn't even resell a ticket to it, but now that they won't compete w NCAA games the upcoming NIT games will get more visibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT