ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

So, do you think the conferences are basically equal? Seriously? Torvik, KenPom, and Sagarin all had only 3 of the 10 Southern Conference teams (30%) in the top 150. That means 7 of the 10 were below 150. That's A LOT of bad teams. By comparison, Torvik had 9 A-10 teams in the top 150 (62%). Let's keep it real. The conferences are not close to comparable.
so both leagues had 7 teams below 150.
the A10 is a better conference and has some better athletes but not it's not like our transfers will suddenly be grinding it out every night like we're in the Big 12.

I don't really care what league he played in last year. Lots of players transfer up from lower leagues and do great, especially when you have a track record of success like Roche has. Did we dog TJ because he went to Niagara or Blake because he went to Wagner. No, we looked at what they had done with those teams in those leagues and were like damn, those guys can ball.

Roche averaged 13 points per game as a FRESHMAN, and was the SoCon Rookie of the Year. 3 BCS programs wanted him pretty bad. He can ball, he is gonna play major minutes and be a big impact player for us.

I don't follow the SoCon conference, so I can't intelligently discuss every team, stat, # of quality athletes, etc. BUT, I watched the semifinal and final of their conference tournament last year. Eye test suggested that their final 4 were equal to the A-10 final four.

I don't follow the SoCon conference, so I can't intelligently discuss every team, stat, # of quality athletes, etc. BUT, I watched the semifinal and final of their conference tournament last year. Eye test suggested that their final 4 were equal to the A-10 final four.
I’m with you as the eye test if you know basketball can tell you alot more jmo.

I don't really care what league he played in last year. Lots of players transfer up from lower leagues and do great, especially when you have a track record of success like Roche has. Did we dog TJ because he went to Niagara or Blake because he went to Wagner. No, we looked at what they had done with those teams in those leagues and were like damn, those guys can ball.

Roche averaged 13 points per game as a FRESHMAN, and was the SoCon Rookie of the Year. 3 BCS programs wanted him pretty bad. He can ball, he is gonna play major minutes and be a big impact player for us.
Tons of people dogged TJ until they saw him play for us. Not sure about Blake.

so both leagues had 7 teams below 150.
the A10 is a better conference and has some better athletes but not it's not like our transfers will suddenly be grinding it out every night like we're in the Big 12.
The A-10 didn't have 7 teams below 150, but I'm not worried about our transfers at all. If you can play, you can play, and they can play. I was only commenting on the reasoning that they will be fine because the conferences are the same. They are definitely not the same. It was my way of taking up for the A-10, which gets a lot of negative talk on here sometimes.

So, this means you think Samford could be top 4 A-10? Those 4 Southern teams had a combined 24 Q 3/4 losses. The 4 semi final A-10 teams had a combined 8, with 4 from Dayton. You take Chattanooga, Furman, Wofford, and Samford. I will take Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, and SLU. If each team played the other conference's 4 teams I see the Southern winning maybe 2 of the 16 games somewhere? But, no worries. We can disagree.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think the basic idea was that he was not transferring from a MEAC or SWAC level conference to the A10. We don't think of the SoCon as a great conference but the dropoff from the A10 is probably not as severe as it may seem (based on rankings from recent years).
I get that. Had this been said, I would not have replied. I replied to the post saying the conferences are the same level. They are not.

Tons of people dogged TJ until they saw him play for us. Not sure about Blake.
No doubt if you can play, you can play. TJ and Blake were awesome. Our transfers can play. They have already proved that, and they all provide something different, which makes them that much more valuable to us. I don't think realistically we could have done much better in the transfer market than the 3 we got. I am big time psyched about all 3.

sorry. 6 plus URI at 142.
Well, the A-10 has 14 teams, which is why I included the percentages in my post. But, no worries, we can disagree. I think there is a lot of separation between the A-10 and the Southern, and I am pretty confident the facts support me here. A lot of people on here and even some media guys as well have talked about the A-10 not being a mid major. I don't think anyone has said that about the Southern. But, I get that it comes down to one's opinion and eye test, which is also opinion, anyway. So, no worries. All good.

duty_calls.png

Geez, sorry to start a firestorm here. My only point was that Roche and Bigelow were playing in a league rated just behind our league. It's not like they are going from AAU ball to the NBA. Next time I will just keep my thoughts to myself.

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
The A10 is a mid-major. Since Xavier and Temple left, and St. Joes has fallen - we have not really been able to secure consistently that 6-7th best conference in basketball. To me - to be considered outside that mid-major tag - the conference needs to have 1-2 teams ranked almost all the time - even bottom rankings or getting votes. And at the end of the season - we need to secure 2+ bids without the tourney champ. In many recent years - the A10 has been lucky in that the best team has not won the tourney and it has opened the door for other bids. To only get 2 bids - that is mid-major for me. A good mid-major, but still mid-major. We need to get back to the days where we are getting 3-4 bids consistently and at least 1 of them makes a run.

Geez, sorry to start a firestorm here. My only point was that Roche and Bigelow were playing in a league rated just behind our league. It's not like they are going from AAU ball to the NBA. Next time I will just keep my thoughts to myself.
All good by me, and I agree with you about them. They will be more than fine in the A-10. I thought that is what message boards were for. People give opinions and others agree or disagree. I simply disagreed about the conferences, that's all. Not sure what the issue is, really. I think the only reason there is a firestorm, if there is one, is because I was the one who disagreed about the conferences being equal.

We either lose 7 games or less or we have to win the 14 team A-10 tournament. No other way in.
I agree - I think we need to be in the single digit loss column, and if we are at 9 losses, a lot may depend on how good those losses were or how good some of our wins were. But we likely need to be in single digits for losses for entire season to have a chance.

I agree - I think we need to be in the single digit loss column, and if we are at 9 losses, a lot may depend on how good those losses were or how good some of our wins were. But we likely need to be in single digits for losses for entire season to have a chance.
Would you guys think it’s a win if only an NIT berth? I think so right now. Once season starts and we get a better feel it could change for me.

That's how I feel. It didn't used to be that way. Even after Xavier and Temple left, we were in the 1st four out at 19-13. Now, there is just too much love for the power conferences, and the quads help them more than they do the mid majors. No doubt, it comes down to who you beat and who you lost to. All 23-8 (24-9 or 25-9 post A-10 tourney) records are not the same. But, my goodness, 24 or more wins is a heck of a lot of wins, and you would think it would be enough.

Would you guys think it’s a win if only an NIT berth? I think so right now. Once season starts and we get a better feel it could change for me.
Not a win. I likely wouldn't be disappointed, but, like you said, it will be easier to know after the season starts. If we stumble down the stretch and make the NIT, it would be hard call that a win. It would probably be like our other NITs, where I would have wanted and hoped for an NCAA bid, but still been fine with the NIT.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
So, do you think the conferences are basically equal? Seriously? Torvik, KenPom, and Sagarin all had only 3 of the 10 Southern Conference teams (30%) in the top 150. That means 7 of the 10 were below 150. That's A LOT of bad teams. By comparison, Torvik had 9 A-10 teams in the top 150 (62%). Let's keep it real. The conferences are not close to comparable.
VT, this is why people find you aggravating. It’s one model that supported his statement. I think it would be fine to simply say “that’s one model, there are others that show them not that close” and leave the condescending “let’s keep it real” crap out of the dialogue.

Reactions: plydogg
Not a win. I likely wouldn't be disappointed, but, like you said, it will be easier to know after the season starts. If we stumble down the stretch and make the NIT, it would be hard call that a win. It would probably be like our other NITs, where I would have wanted and hoped for an NCAA bid, but still been fine with the NIT.
I think the floor for this season is the NIT. Yes - we lost major pieces that have been at UR forever. But we retained our best player - Burton and two key role players - Goose and Grace, from last year. Then we added good transfers in the free agency. So while I would love to say this an NCAA team - I just usually think under Mooney's system, it takes time for guys to get acclimated. So I think we could see some bumps early on, but maybe an easier OOC schedule prevents that....and hopefully by the time A10 play rolls around - we are seeing a possible NCAA bubble team and def an NIT team.

My only other concern is that our transfers are all transferring up - so I wonder how they do against better competition night in and night out, especially in A10 play. But I think we should get a good measure of this 5-6 games into OOC play.

BUT - this should be the level our program aspires to be at. We make the NCAA, we graduate/lose key pieces, but we just fall into the NIT. We should not fall below that in consistent years. Like I said - we should be more like Davidson. Since joining the A10 they have only not made the NIT or NCAA twice, and those two non-appearance years were sandwiched by NCAA and NIT appearances.

That’s fair

VT, this is why people find you aggravating. It’s one model that supported his statement. I think it would be fine to simply say “that’s one model, there are others that show them not that close” and leave the condescending “let’s keep it real” crap out of the dialogue.
Whatever. Was this post really necessary? You can't handle a "keep it real" comment on a message board? C'mon man. So, I get it... just say things exactly how YOU think they should be said? Got it. Thanks. As if no one has ever said keep it real or something similar to me. But, you keep quiet when that happens. I don't care who finds me annoying. I know that 95% of the board can't stand my posts. I wish they would just ignore me if I annoy them so much. I only enjoy posting with a few posters on here anyway, and one of them is you. Most of the others I have lost a ton of respect for anyway. But, I do respect you and can appreciate nearly all of your posts.

Last edited:
I don’t think the NIT is a “goal” and instead is simply an outcome. The goal is to finish in the top 4 of the A10. If that happens then the NIT is definitely the floor. It really will depend on how the league fares in the OOC schedule since we know UR has very little to offer in terms of possible quality wins on the current schedule.

I would like a goal of post season play every year of either NIT or NCAA.
24-7 the Covid year was a shame due to fact we were playing so well, but
unfortunately it was a "shouldofcouldof" year. Also in order to get to that goal
we need the right level of recruiting and transfer portal options in order to do that.
Dji is a good level transfer due to ACC pedigree, but I think more than likely we will be
seeing league transfers like we saw this year. Let's hope we have more diamond in the roughs like TJ and Blake.

I am definitely in the NCAA is the goal every single year. I get it, you are not going to reach that goal every year. And I am OK with that (just not 5,6,7 ....years). You have injuries, you have things outside of your control. But that is the goal. And we lost talent and replaced talent. The top mid major programs expect that every year. Hell, look a few miles away and the run they had. Gonzaga started that way. SDSU keeps going and going back. Let's not settle. We have a new PG. One that committed to Wake, competing with one that was offered by VCU and Vandy. We have Burton. We have pieces, so yes this is the type of year with the longest tenured coach in the A10 we get back there.

An NIT bid next year seems like a win to me. Of course, all hope for NCAA bid every year. BUT, following an NCAA team that lost multiple seniors and most of it's firepower, with an NIT bid the next season is pretty close to where most on here say they want to be.

An NIT bid next year seems like a win to me. Of course, all hope for NCAA bid every year. BUT, following an NCAA team that lost multiple seniors and most of it's firepower, with an NIT bid the next season is pretty close to where most on here say they want to be.
With what we lost, an NIT bid is a win-win. I believe that we are going to have a better season than we think, that’s the optimist in me.

I don’t think the NIT is a “goal” and instead is simply an outcome. The goal is to finish in the top 4 of the A10. If that happens then the NIT is definitely the floor. It really will depend on how the league fares in the OOC schedule since we know UR has very little to offer in terms of possible quality wins on the current schedule.
Very well said. You articulated this much better than I.

this is very well said, couldn’t have said it better myself

edit - didn’t realize sdad above had basically agreed with you as well before I posted this lol

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT