ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

Goose will be interesting - because he is another guy, he is a good player for us - but I don't expect him to be a scorer. But when healthy - he was playing 25 minutes a game and I could see that extending to 30 minutes a night. Which if that is the case - what does that mean for minutes for guys like Crabtree, Bailey, and Roche.

This happens almost every year with us on this board - we think we are so deep and have so many options, but in reality - we will probably play 8 guys a night in minutes that matter. So that just means someone will not get playing time or will become the guy Mooney needs to "find minutes for".

Goose was already at 30+ last year once healthy & from beginning of A10 schedule. I agree we'll probably end up with 8 guys getting regular, consistent minutes. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I would only say that RTD didn’t even really know Dji was a PG…now whether OConnor asked or we didn’t mention it…who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️
He’s a guard. There’s only one POINT GUARD on the roster. He can play some point, but wouldn’t say he’s a PG from anything I have seen

• Haha
How many point guards did we have last year? 🤥
Look, you’re either trolling or just don’t have a clue maybe both. Is Dji a guard yes, can he play 1-3 yes! Congrats you got at least one right. So now you know more than kids dad and what he was recruited as and what this staff like him as? We can disagree but I’m willing to bet you haven’t seen much of Dji in fact you prob only seen him since he’s been to UR. That’s cool but I think those that have worked with him and recruited him and wait for it…..coaches him, may know a little more than Coach POMSpidur. jmo

Last edited:
I could be looking at this with blinders on…🤷🏼‍♂️ but I’ll say what’s already been said… he can play multiple positions but don’t discount him at PG esp bc some think of his size. In fact he has positional league size for a lead guard. To just say he’s not one is asinine imo. That means you haven’t watched him enough which is ok, hasn’t played many mins here. He’s running it in practice and competing for the job. Will he primarily be at the 1 who knows but if everyone remains healthy we could see him at multiple spots and that’s a good thing. At the end of the day like Steph Curry said “you’re a basketball player” 🕷🏀

Reactions: Section9.RowD
How many point guards did we have last year? 🤥
We had one of our all-time greats as point guard, so of course we weren’t going to split up his time with someone else. This year is obviously different with no incumbent. I think Nelson starts but we have a lot of different potential lineups and looks that we can use, and Bailey will have a chance to make noise, too.

We had one of our all-time greats as point guard, so of course we weren’t going to split up his time with someone else. This year is obviously different with no incumbent. I think Nelson starts but we have a lot of different potential lineups and looks that we can use, and Bailey will have a chance to make noise, too.
With the seniors we lost, bench from this year, transfers, and incoming freshman / redshirts, it seems that not just at PG but overall this year we have more options and flexibility than we’ve had in a long time.

The other thing to remember with Mooney, especially with the PG position - he typically finds a guy - and that guys plays 35+ minutes. I don't think he has ever, other than his first year - split PG duties or shared them on a significant level. Not saying he can't do that now - but he has never really done that in the past.

The other thing to remember with Mooney, especially with the PG position - he typically finds a guy - and that guys plays 35+ minutes. I don't think he has ever, other than his first year - split PG duties or shared them on a significant level. Not saying he can't do that now - but he has never really done that in the past.
when we've had two good ones, he's played them together.

Our sweet 16 year in 2011, KA played 36+ minutes a game, but Ced still got 16+. ShawnDre played 35+ minutes and Khwan 20+ one year, and Jacob's 1st year, he played 36+ and Khwan 32+. The key with this is Khwan wasn't a factor from 3, but the guys he played with were. 2 non shooting PGs would never work. Kendall Anthony maybe wasn't a true PG, but handled the ball a lot and played a ton of minutes with other PGs. If our 2 PGs are better than a PG and an off guard, of course the two PGs will get a lot of minutes, and Mooney has done this a lot, even if both are under 6 feet tall.

Our sweet 16 year in 2011, KA played 36+ minutes a game, but Ced still got 16+. ShawnDre played 35+ minutes and Khwan 20+ one year, and Jacob's 1st year, he played 36+ and Khwan 32+. The key with this is Khwan wasn't a factor from 3, but the guys he played with were. 2 non shooting PGs would never work. Kendall Anthony maybe wasn't a true PG, but handled the ball a lot and played a ton of minutes with other PGs. If our 2 PGs are better than a PG and an off guard, of course the two PGs will get a lot of minutes, and Mooney has done this a lot, even if both are under 6 feet tall.
We only have one player under 6 feet.

We only have one player under 6 feet.
Yep. My point was Mooney has never been afraid to play 2 PGs together, even when he had 2 really small ones out there. So, if he wasn't hesitant to do it then, he certainly wouldn't be hesitant to do it now, with size at the other PG spot. It will come down to if the other PG (Dji) is a better option at times than the other guards we have. If not, then there would be little reason to play 2 PGs together a lot. In other words, if Nelson gets 30+ minutes and Dji less than 10, it won't be because Mooney doesn't want to play 2 PGs, it will be because the other guards are a better option than Dji.

Last edited:
Look, you’re either trolling or just don’t have a clue maybe both. Is Dji a guard yes, can he play 1-3 yes! Congrats you got at least one right. So now you know more than kids dad and what he was recruited as and what this staff like him as? We can disagree but I’m willing to bet you haven’t seen much of Dji in fact you prob only seen him since he’s been to UR. That’s cool but I think those that have worked with him and recruited him and wait for it…..coaches him, may know a little more than Coach POMSpidur. jmo
Don't feed the trolls, it only encourages them.

I think it’s both! My answer is both.

Yep. My point was Mooney has never been afraid to play 2 PGs together, even when he had 2 really small ones out there. So, if he wasn't hesitant to do it then, he certainly wouldn't be hesitant to do it now, with size at the other PG spot. It will come down to if the other PG (Dji) is a better option at times than the other guards we have. If not, then there would be little reason to play 2 PGs together a lot. In other words, if Nelson gets 30+ minutes and Dji less than 10, it won't be because Mooney doesn't want to play 2 PGs, it will be because the other guards are a better option than Dji.
This is sound reasoning. I would say as far as other guards go Dji may be a little more versatile and can play 1-3. Do you mean better option as far as being on floor or PG? Not trying to pick a fight. Just asking bc we are heavily stacked at guard/ wing

This is sound reasoning. I would say as far as other guards go Dji may be a little more versatile and can play 1-3. Do you mean better option as far as being on floor or PG? Not trying to pick a fight. Just asking bc we are heavily stacked at guard/ wing
I was talking better option at the off guard spot. If Nelson is the PG, and Goose and Roche are better options than Dji at off guard (and I think they are), than I see no reason to play Nelson and Dji a lot of minutes together. Based on Goose's play the past 4 years, and Roche's year last year, and Bigelow's production if you want to add him, I would think Dji would be behind them all there, so his path to playing time looks like PG to me because Jason won't play 40 minutes.

I was talking better option at the off guard spot. If Nelson is the PG, and Goose and Roche are better options than Dji at off guard (and I think they are), than I see no reason to play Nelson and Dji a lot of minutes together. Based on Goose's play the past 4 years, and Roche's year last year, and Bigelow's production if you want to add him, I would think Dji would be behind them all there, so his path to playing time looks like PG to me because Jason won't play 40 minutes.
Gotcha thanks for the clarity

What a range of opinions. Just anxious for season to get here and let all play out.
Of course a couple of injuries like last year to key folks, and all up for grabs.
Not only injuries, but the unknown as well. I have my idea what the rotation might look like, but that is based on what I have seen from the guys in it. Dji, Randolph, Dread, Noyes, and Walz look like they all have talent, so who knows? Maybe one or more step up and move ahead of someone else.

Not only injuries, but the unknown as well. I have my idea what the rotation might look like, but that is based on what I have seen from the guys in it. Dji, Randolph, Dread, Noyes, and Walz look like they all have talent, so who knows? Maybe one or more step up and move ahead of someone else.
yep. nothing's set in stone in June.
well ... except Burton.

If Coach deviates from his past orthodoxy, he has a lot of match up tools he can use to our advantage. We can play more than 8, if the match ups warrant it. To his credit, he has assembled a lot of diverse talent. Like the posse idea advanced by fellow posters.

Give them a chance in early season. Your job is not on the line any more. Try different approaches sometimes, see what happens, self correct, and grow.

What gives this board the assumption that Dji is a POINT GUARD other than the fact that Spiderdad is saying so? What clips/tape have you seen in the last two years that makes you all think this?
Is Goose a point guard, b/c his freshman year he ACTUALLY started at point guard for UR for a couple games and dished out 11 assists in ONE game. Anybody claiming he’s a point guard? No. So what’re you guys watching that makes you believe he’s a POINT GUARD?

What gives this board the assumption that Dji is a POINT GUARD other than the fact that Spiderdad is saying so? What clips/tape have you seen in the last two years that makes you all think this?
Is Goose a point guard, b/c his freshman year he ACTUALLY started at point guard for UR for a couple games and dished out 11 assists in ONE game. Anybody claiming he’s a point guard? No. So what’re you guys watching that makes you believe he’s a POINT GUARD?
What is your assumption Dji‘s not able to play point? At this stage, mystery meat is on our starting lineup
menu. Don’t worry, be happy!

Reactions: plydogg
Here is a 3 year old article that can’t count to 10 FWIW…

Here is what was said in this RTD article: https://richmond.com/sports/college...6bc-84e0-e074eddd4371.html#tncms-source=login

"Mooney noted that 6-5 graduate Andre Gustavson has played some point guard. It’s possible 6-5 junior Dji Bailey may occasionally fill in there. But Mooney signaled this will be Nelson’s show from the get-go by not acquiring a point guard after 6-0 Isaiah Wilson entered the transfer portal on March 24"

“I think Jason has a chance to be a great player,” said Mooney. “Tremendous high-school career at a great program, handles the ball extremely well, has a really, really good sense, and is very competitive.”

What’s wrong with you (besides purposely being inflammatory)?

Have you watched one game of his before college? We had a point guard in Gilyard that essentially played the entire game so why would you slot him in as a PG at Richmond?

And if you watched him play at Richmond you’d notice he has a smoothness to his game and ball handling that looks like a PG.

I think it's a fair question by Pom. If Dji's Dad weren't on the board, no one would be bothered by what he said. We can't be afraid to post things and have opinions on here just because someone's Dad is on here.

Reactions: POMSpidur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT