ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

Exactly - the goal is NCAA appearances. But if we miss, most years we should making NIT. Will there be years we make nothing - of course. But those should be few and far between. And should not be in consecutive years.

As I mention before, I believe a lot of people will get playing time for the first half of our OOC schedule, allowing players to have a chance to prove themselves. Therefore those that start on day one might not be starting heading into A10 conference games. As of now, we all expect Tyler to start and play about 35 minutes a game along with making 1st team all A10. Mooney has publically stated in the RTD that Nelson will be starting, which I find highly unusual this far out. He must have huge confidence in Nelson. I expect Nelson to play at least 30 minutes a game. Not only do I expect Quinn to start, but I expect him to be an all A10 conference player. The last 2 starters are the hard part, because there are so many great players on the team competing for those spots. Both Goose and Matt are very good players and we could have a very good team with both of them starting. However, if they don’t start it means that Roche, Bigelow or other members of the team are playing better than them, which would mean that we are going to win a lot of games.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Not to be negative, but a cautionary note. Mooney's strong suit over 17 years is not roster management.
Yep, this could be a struggle for him if all these guys are playing up to their clippings, including Randolph, Dread and Noyes. Of course Mooney went outside his normal modus operandi this offseason bringing in three "play now" transfers - so I will give the benefit of the doubt that he has a plan.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Yep, this could be a struggle for him if all these guys are playing up to their clippings, including Randolph, Dread and Noyes. Of course Mooney went outside his normal modus operandi this offseason bringing in three "play now" transfers - so I will give the benefit of the doubt that he has a plan.
He did bring in one- malcolm Bernard and Mr. Sun Belt Commissioner blew it, but it certainly helped out XU. 3 years ago, He brought in Blake Francis who was definitely play ready, but had to sit out (foot injury plus sit out year) We really weren't in the market for "play ready" transfers the last 2 years (since the 1 year sit out was waived) because a transfer would look at our roster and realize not alot of minutes were available, because most transfers want to transfer and sit. I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but that's reality. Lots of minutes available and with the ability of the QAC to be seen in person and success followed.

Reactions: VT4700
why do some posters find it necessary to attack most everything?
What usually happens on here is if the wrong people disagree with someone, they then get attacked. Then, the person being attacked responds, and gets constantly criticized with multiple posts. If you think that is not accurate, you haven't been paying attention the past 3 years.

He did bring in one- malcolm Bernard and Mr. Sun Belt Commissioner blew it, but it certainly helped out XU. 3 years ago, He brought in Blake Francis who was definitely play ready, but had to sit out (foot injury plus sit out year) We really weren't in the market for "play ready" transfers the last 2 years (since the 1 year sit out was waived) because a transfer would look at our roster and realize not alot of minutes were available, because most transfers want to transfer and sit. I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but that's reality. Lots of minutes available and with the ability of the QAC to be seen in person and success followed.
Probably some truth to this although arguably prior to two years ago Burton wasn’t a lock as a starter and there certainly were no reliable backups at the F/C spots so minutes definitely were available to be had.

I think any way you slice it CM has not been a particularly aggressive seeker of transfers. Hard to argue otherwise, although one can debate the philosophy of his choice.

I think we see what the potential of some higher rated transfers does to our prospects. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Mooney has publically stated in the RTD that Nelson will be starting, which I find highly unusual this far out. He must have huge confidence in Nelson. I expect Nelson to play at least 30 minutes a game.
I didn't read it that way. I believe he was asked if he could see Nelson stepping right in and being a 4 year starter on the heels of 4 year starter Gilyard. he said yes, he could see that. but I don't think that means he's DEFINITELY starting. I mean, the other answer would be "no, I can't see that".

it's certainly possible Jason starts, but I definitely don't think it's written in stone.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I think any way you slice it CM has not been a particularly aggressive seeker of transfers. Hard to argue otherwise, although one can debate the philosophy of his choice.
like most teams, we fill graduating roster spots with HS recruits. I think teams that are more active in the transfer portal are usually the ones filling spots opened up by kids transferring out or otherwise leaving the programs.

we rarely lose a player to transfer. if that continues, I don't expect we'll see a lot of incoming transfers.

why do some posters find it necessary to attack most everything?
It's really just a small handful of posters who feel the need to argue everything and then get overly defensive when called out. Unfortunately they are hard to ignore because of the volume of their posts and their deliberate antagonistic nature of them.

The vast majority of posters on here, I have a lot of respect for, even when I disagree with a take or opinion that they may have, because they can respect the decorum on this board and can disagree without making a million posts about something and do respectfully.

If I had a wish, it would be for the moderators to use their power of the time out if they see a certain poster or posters continually attacking other posters and gumming up the board with just their posts. I think a little time away along with a reminder of the informal "rules" of this board might adjust some behaviors.

It's really just a small handful of posters who feel the need to argue everything and then get overly defensive when called out. Unfortunately they are hard to ignore because of the volume of their posts and their deliberate antagonistic nature of them.

The vast majority of posters on here, I have a lot of respect for, even when I disagree with a take or opinion that they may have, because they can respect the decorum on this board and can disagree without making a million posts about something and do respectfully.

If I had a wish, it would be for the moderators to use their power of the time out if they see a certain poster or posters continually attacking other posters and gumming up the board with just their posts. I think a little time away along with a reminder of the informal "rules" of this board might adjust some behaviors.
Disagree. Banning somebody for arguing a point is ridiculous; that’s the entire intent of this board.

Reactions: VT4700
I didn't read it that way. I believe he was asked if he could see Nelson stepping right in and being a 4 year starter on the heels of 4 year starter Gilyard. he said yes, he could see that. but I don't think that means he's DEFINITELY starting. I mean, the other answer would be "no, I can't see that".

it's certainly possible Jason starts, but I definitely don't think it's written in stone.
Good point, the manner in which the question was asked really begged the answer to be: Yes Mooney could see that.

like most teams, we fill graduating roster spots with HS recruits. I think teams that are more active in the transfer portal are usually the ones filling spots opened up by kids transferring out or otherwise leaving the programs.

we rarely lose a player to transfer. if that continues, I don't expect we'll see a lot of incoming transfers.
We've lost plenty of guys to transfer over the years, but more commonly benchwarmers than major contributors...Wojcik, Verbinskis, Fore, Ford, Pistokache, Dominaus, Diekvoss, Smithen, Ododa. You can throw Buck in there if you want. So that's like 1.5 per year over the last ~7 years? Not as many as some programs, but it's definitely not rare.

It'll be interesting to see how things settle out once the extra COVID year cycle ends. So much roster uncertainty and musical chairs going on. You kind of have to hold spots for the seniors until they decide what they want to do, which pushes you into the transfer market if their spots open up given how slim the pickings are for high schoolers at that late date.

Good point, the manner in which the question was asked really begged the answer to be: Yes Mooney could see that.
If not Nelson - then who? I really see him as the only logical option to play PG next year most of the time.

I guess you could argue Bailey, but I only see him handling the ball as a PG here and there, not full time.
Maybe Dread, but just have not seen him.

But really I see Nelson in the lead and not sure anyone could overtake him at this point. I could see Goose bringing the ball up the floor as well to give small bursts of rests to Nelson.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If not Nelson - then who? I really see him as the only logical option to play PG next year most of the time.

I guess you could argue Bailey, but I only see him handling the ball as a PG here and there, not full time.

But really I see Nelson in the lead and not sure anyone could overtake him at this point. I could see Goose bringing the ball up the floor as well to give small bursts of rests to Nelson.
Dji is a PG.
Nelson and Dji are the only PGs.

Disagree. Banning somebody for arguing a point is ridiculous; that’s the entire intent of this board.
I didn't say ban them from this board. The moderators have given plenty of posters time outs for a several days to several weeks when they are unable to abide by the decorum of the board. Huge difference between that and banning them, which to my knowledge was only ever done to one person who tried to dox several posters.

No one should be banned but at times certain posters get out of hand and just gum up the board and all its threads and a brief time out and a word or two from the moderators usually resolves those situations nicely, making the board enjoyable for all.

We've lost plenty of guys to transfer over the years, but more commonly benchwarmers than major contributors...Wojcik, Verbinskis, Fore, Ford, Pistokache, Dominaus, Diekvoss, Smithen, Ododa. You can throw Buck in there if you want. So that's like 1.5 per year over the last ~7 years? Not as many as some programs, but it's definitely not rare.

It'll be interesting to see how things settle out once the extra COVID year cycle ends. So much roster uncertainty and musical chairs going on. You kind of have to hold spots for the seniors until they decide what they want to do, which pushes you into the transfer market if their spots open up given how slim the pickings are for high schoolers at that late date.
I can't believe you left out Oddo...

Why do you just see Nelson, when Dji and Goose can (to some extent) handle it? Just FYI It’s been Dji and Jason in offseason wrkouts running the point. Def not Malcolm but he is a decent ball handler and very strong guard. Dji didn’t run it last yr primarily bc you had Gilly, Zay, Goose plus got injured right after Xmas. I think it’s still up in air right now bc both are getting the same time and looks.

Reactions: spiderman
The RTD article made it sound like Goose was the back up with Dji third in line. Obviously all that could change.
I would only say that RTD didn’t even really know Dji was a PG…now whether OConnor asked or we didn’t mention it…who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Why do you just see Nelson, when Dji and Goose can (to some extent) handle it? Just FYI It’s been Dji and Jason inPG offseason wrkouts running the point. Def not Malcolm but he is a decent ball handler and very strong guard. Dji didn’t run it last yr primarily bc you had Gilly, Zay, Goose plus got injured right after Xmas. I think it’s still up in air right now bc both are getting the same time and looks.
Mooney has a prototypical PG established over his nearly 18 years here. That prototype is a small, crafty, and scoring PG who runs the show. While, we have seen Nelson on the court, he fits Mooney's prototype PG to a T. Dji is kind of the complete opposite of the prototype Mooney likes. Tall, long, slashing type of player.

I trust you cause you know your son the best. I'm just saying from a fan perspective of 18 years with the Moon man, we know the guys tendencies and likes, and that it why most fans are going to look at Nelson and say, yep this guy is our starting PG next year (plus I believe Mooney has said as much as well).

You know I love Dji's game, I personally see him as more a 2 guard or possibly even a 3 in our system with his length and how he plays the game. I just have a real tough time seeing him as a PG with his skill set and how Mooney has used guys with similar skill sets in the past. He reminds me a lot Francis Cedric Martel with his game, what limited I have seen from it. FCM was primarily a 3 for us, great defender, could score, mainly through slashing, but also could knock down a 3 ball, but he made his bacon as one of our better defenders.

I guess time will tell how this ultimately plays out.

Mooney has a prototypical PG established over his nearly 18 years here. That prototype is a small, crafty, and scoring PG who runs the show. While, we have seen Nelson on the court, he fits Mooney's prototype PG to a T. Dji is kind of the complete opposite of the prototype Mooney likes. Tall, long, slashing type of player.

I trust you cause you know your son the best. I'm just saying from a fan perspective of 18 years with the Moon man, we know the guys tendencies and likes, and that it why most fans are going to look at Nelson and say, yep this guy is our starting PG next year (plus I believe Mooney has said as much as well).

You know I love Dji's game, I personally see him as more a 2 guard or possibly even a 3 in our system with his length and how he plays the game. I just have a real tough time seeing him as a PG with his skill set and how Mooney has used guys with similar skill sets in the past. He reminds me a lot Francis Cedric Martel with his game, what limited I have seen from it. FCM was primarily a 3 for us, great defender, could score, mainly through slashing, but also could knock down a 3 ball, but he made his bacon as one of our better defenders.

For sure and absolutely get it and you’re right about coaches track record with small guards. Just saying what I know has been happening and told. Jason may very well win the spot and I’m good with that. I think we are in good hands either way. Djis size is an asset bc of what you mentioned can slide to the 2 and the 3 even. Hey I’m happy as long as he’s on the court making an impact. Not sure I follow with “his skill set” but it fits that of an old school playmaking PG to me and others that have seen him a lot. He hasn’t had to play it here bc of the numbers. I appreciate your perspective. Others have said they can’t see it with Jay and Dji on floor but I can see it where we could have them and Roche on court at times but at the very least in terms of guards I think we are in good shape now and foreseeable future. 🕷🏀

Last edited:

I wonder if it is advantageous to have two good point guards who are sort of opposites? We might end up seeing very matchup dependent minutes at the point?

nobody ever saw FCM as a PG. Dji and FCM might have similar size and maybe athleticism, but different skill set.

if not now, I think at some point soon Nelson becomes a starting PG here. the question will be whether or not Dji runs out there with him. they'd be great together but Dji has a lot of comp at the 2nd guard spot ... and at the 3.

I wonder if it is advantageous to have two good point guards who are sort of opposites? We might end up seeing very matchup dependent minutes at the point?
I'm not sure if they are opposites. I personally haven't seen Jason enough but Dji seems to think they are very similar minus the size of course..fun times. I actually would like to see them on the court together.

I would only say that RTD didn’t even really know Dji was a PG…now whether OConnor asked or we didn’t mention it…who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

u should ask JOC. I bet he'll tell you why described Nelson as only true pg. I've hit up JOC once or twice over the years & he's been very responsive. More likely he's basing that off what he's told by staff, or maybe it was a mistake idk. It could be Nelson will play PG and PG only while Dji could play multiple positions, thus how he labeled.

u should ask JOC. I bet he'll tell you why described Nelson as only true pg. I've hit up JOC once or twice over the years & he's been very responsive. More likely he's basing that off what he's told by staff, or maybe it was a mistake idk. It could be Nelson will play PG and PG only while Dji could play multiple positions, thus how he labeled.
Yeah, lots of reasons why for sure. I prob would ask if he wasn't mine 😀 but I'll take the coach's word and Dji's for now.

nobody ever saw FCM as a PG. Dji and FCM might have similar size and maybe athleticism, but different skill set.
Agreed. He was just a player that Dji reminds me of. But yes, Dji can certainly handle the rock in a way that FCM could not. So, not entirely alike, but some similarities. I honestly couldn't think of another player like Dji that his size but also ballhandling abilities during the Mooney tenure.

I agree that Mooney has morphed into the small PG as his prototype. I don't think that means he doesn't like big PG's. It kind of like the skilled freak athlete 6'10 I love. The BE and ACC love those guys too and get them.

I think Mooney started with this notion that he could recruit 6'5 guards and did not need a true PG - thinking of Morris. Then he saw how you could give the ball to Kevin Anderson and tell him to break the press vs VCU - and he did. Opposed to having two Morris types passing back and forth and turning into a VCU fast break the other way.

I am hoping we have some open competition at all spots ( I understand Burton would not really be a comp) but that we have it at most spots pre-season. I am sure game performance will dictate once we get into early season.

Agreed. He was just a player that Dji reminds me of. But yes, Dji can certainly handle the rock in a way that FCM could not. So, not entirely alike, but some similarities. I honestly couldn't think of another player like Dji that his size but also ballhandling abilities during the Mooney tenure.
yeah, no really good comps here. Brothers was a few inches shorter at 6'3" and more of a SG, but he might be the closest. he did play some point. like 23 points out, I don't think that's by design for Mooney as much as what he's been able to land. a PG with Dji's size, quickness, handle and defense definitely works. they're just rare.

I do think Nelson and Dji would work great together. might have seen a lot of that if Goose didn't come back. could be the combo in 2023/24.

Goose will be interesting - because he is another guy, he is a good player for us - but I don't expect him to be a scorer. But when healthy - he was playing 25 minutes a game and I could see that extending to 30 minutes a night. Which if that is the case - what does that mean for minutes for guys like Crabtree, Bailey, and Roche.

This happens almost every year with us on this board - we think we are so deep and have so many options, but in reality - we will probably play 8 guys a night in minutes that matter. So that just means someone will not get playing time or will become the guy Mooney needs to "find minutes for".

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think we all agree we're deep this year, but that doesn't mean we'll play that deep. some good players will be buried on the bench. that's just how it is on a team with depth and 13 scholarshipped players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT