ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

Dji is fully healthy I can’t speak for Crab but I think he is too. One of those guys has been a fixture with the ones all summer 😉 Agree 23 our ceiling is pretty good and I’m ready for the season to start. Now back to Disney World 😀
Whether it's Nelson or Dji, or hopefully both, if we get good, solid PG play we are going to be really good. I really think that is the key to our year.

Plus - I don't see Connor getting significant minutes this year or next year. I think he has a role, but it is probably very similar to this past season - come off the bench, maybe get 10 minutes a game. Provide some shooting. Thats about it.
is that based on anything? I just don't think we've seen what he can do yet. maybe this year we can. he did show promise at Tulane before getting hurt.

is that based on anything? I just don't think we've seen what he can do yet. maybe this year we can. he did show promise at Tulane before getting hurt.
He looked really good in h.s., and at Tulane. It seems the injuries may have dampened his hops and quickness a bit. If he re gains that, watch out. Otherwise I think he brings a strong veteran presence with the ability to get hot from 3.

Might be just as simple as being behind too many guys. Even if he stays healthy and improves, he won't be as good as Goose defensively, he won't be as good from 3 as Roche, and he won't be the versatile athlete Bigelow is. So, as a result, a max of 10 minutes a game is probably a good estimate right now.

Might be just as simple as being behind too many guys. Even if he stays healthy and improves, he won't be as good as Goose defensively, he won't be as good from 3 as Roche, and he won't be the versatile athlete Bigelow is. So, as a result, a max of 10 minutes a game is probably a good estimate right now.
That is what I was basing it on. Too many guys ahead of him and based on what we have seen so far. i think injuries have limited him, but if he can come back even better next year - I will take it. But then that likely limits some of Roche's minutes. Which many see on here as impossible. But I think Crabtree does have a role - and that can be a veteran presence off the bench and someone you can count on in case of injury or foul trouble ahead of him.

Reactions: VT4700
Odd PG projections but ok write up otherwise and we cracked their top 100 (just barely)

Thanks for sharing this. One thing these ranking show is how strong the A10 conference is with 7 teams projected to be in the top 100. U of R's ranking is hurt by people's lack of knowledge of our team, although this write up does acknowledge there is a lot of variability in our ranking, with the potential to win the conference.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Should I be changing my minutes thinking from 30/10 Nelson/Dji to 20/20
To me that number is crazy…don’t be surprised if both are on floor together…a lot, based off the summer. Obviously things can change.

Reactions: urfan1
Goose can play PG, but not the main minutes. He is a guy you could rest your regular PG and have him handle the duties for a few minutes, like he did with Gilyard at times. But if he is our starting PG and Roche at SG - we have limited ballhandling and that is not a staple of Mooney system.

To me that number is crazy…don’t be surprised if both are on floor together…a lot, based off the summer. Obviously things can change.
That would really surprise me, and would mean less minutes for Goose, Roche, and/or Bigelow. With Tyler and Quinn/Grace being on the floor nearly all game, if Nelson and Dji are on the floor a lot together, that would mean we have 2 of Goose, Roche, and Bigelow on the bench a lot together. I have not seen the practices, and I will say again that Dji is talented and I am looking forward to watching him play more, but I have to say it would shock me if he is ahead of any of the other 3 at non PG.

Odd PG projections but ok write up otherwise and we cracked their top 100 (just barely)

Another vote for PG is key, a vote for a 7th place finish, and a vote for all 3 transfers starting. Sounds like a compilation of Forum topics….

Article shows the high degree of uncertainty there is with this team, but little else. Lost me on the point guard discussion as well as mention of “tons of depth in the post.” Not impressed.

Goose can play PG, but not the main minutes. He is a guy you could rest your regular PG and have him handle the duties for a few minutes, like he did with Gilyard at times. But if he is our starting PG and Roche at SG - we have limited ballhandling and that is not a staple of Mooney system.

yeah not sure that’s the starters we’ll see but with goose getting some run at PG duties I do see us utilizing that exact lineup, likely against teams that don’t press much.

potentially gives us the best combo of shooting, length, defense & athleticism.

That would really surprise me, and would mean less minutes for Goose, Roche, and/or Bigelow. With Tyler and Quinn/Grace being on the floor nearly all game, if Nelson and Dji are on the floor a lot together, that would mean we have 2 of Goose, Roche, and Bigelow on the bench a lot together. I have not seen the practices, and I will say again that Dji is talented and I am looking forward to watching him play more, but I have to say it would shock me if he is ahead of any of the other 3 at non PG.
Ok we’ll trust your gut instead of what’s actually happening. :)

Ok we’ll trust your gut instead of what’s actually happening. :)
?? What's happening? It's not even August yet. I would hope a lot of young guys are seeing a ton of time right now, including Noyes, Randolph, and Dread. Looking at the history of the players so far, would it not surprise you if Dji got more minutes at non PG than Goose, Roche, or Bigelow? If not, that's fine because it's all just opinion right now, but I don't think what I posted was that controversial.

We should certainly been 2 digits in their ranking if Bryant if 99 :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
College Basketball Review - @CbbReview

We're counting down the best teams in college basketball.

So far: 100. Richmond Spiders
99. Bryant Bulldogs

we know Mooney likes to play 2 guys with PG skills, and having the 2nd be a bigger guy would be ideal.

we have options. that would be an exciting backcourt.
I hear you, but you want a couple of 3 point threats out there if you do that. If both Nelson and Dji can knock down the 3, then, yes, that would be ideal. Let's hope they can. The game is just different now. More teams have more good 3 point shooters so you need to keep up. Compare with 10 years ago: In 2012, 32 teams averaged 8 or more 3s a game. Last year, 118 teams averaged 8 or more. It's just too hard to try to win without the consistent 3.

Look at one of our best years, 2020, when we went 24-7. Nick was .438, Jacob .367, and Blake .363 from 3. We also had volume there, as they averaged going a combined 7-18 a game. That is how you win a lot of games.

I hear you, but you want a couple of 3 point threats out there if you do that.
it's no different than the often presumed Nelson/Goose starting backcourt. Goose isn't a proficient 3 point shooter either.

it's no different than the often presumed Nelson/Goose starting backcourt. Goose isn't a proficient 3 point shooter either.
If you compare the last 2 years since that is all we have from Dji, I would say 24-77 is a lot different than 0-9. Don't want it to look like I am criticizing Dji here. I just want his minutes at PG unless he can hit the 3. If he can't, I just don't see the positives with playing him and Nelson together when we have multiple other options out there. I am already trying to factor in more minutes for Roche and Bigelow as it is because I think they need a lot of time out there, and I know you disagree, but I want Goose out there for 30 minutes a game, or at least close to it. Trust me, no one will be happier than me if Dji comes out next year and hits a few early season 3s. Well, maybe SDad. :)

Last edited:
I'm just saying Goose hit 0.6 threes per game last year at a 30% clip. he does other good things for sure, but he's wasn't a perimeter threat. he's been here 4 years and his best year he hit 16 threes.

I see Bigelow only at forward so no effect here. Roche I agree. he'll play.

This is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. I do think game performance early on is going to dictate how the minutes are actually dispersed.

Seems like we have following schools of thought:
1) Nelson and Dji are basically battling for 40 MPG at PG, with neither playing off the ball much if at all
2) PG - Nelson is heir apparent, Dji as main back up and battling for Non PG minutes
3) Dji and Nelson playing together quite a bit
4) Goose primary back up to whoever wins PG battle.

I think however we come out of pre season practice and exhibitions could change pretty quickly once the real games start.

I'm just saying Goose hit 0.6 threes per game last year at a 30% clip. he does other good things for sure, but he's wasn't a perimeter threat. he's been here 4 years and his best year he hit 16 threes.

I see Bigelow only at forward so no effect here. Roche I agree. he'll play.
I am saying Bigelow because I am not putting positions on guys. As much as you want to hold onto this thinking, those days are long gone. There is no rule in place that we have to play 2 guards and 2 forwards at all times. So, if he is trying to get non PG minutes, Dji is likely competing with Bigelow, as well Goose and Roche. For example, there will be plenty of times when we have Nelson, Burton, Quinn, and Goose out there, especially since all 4 could be starting. There will be plenty of small lineups we face this year. So, if Dji were a better option, he plays there, but, in my opinion, the better option would be Roche or Bigelow, and when you factor in playing Nelson and Dji together means 2 of Goose, Roche, and Bigelow losing minutes, I just don't think that makes sense, and that is why I just don't see non PG minutes for Dji. It's not like I'm unfairly picking on Dji. I don't see non PG minutes for Nelson either, and before you say, well no kidding because of his height, don't forget about Kendall Anthony.

Last edited:
This is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. I do think game performance early on is going to dictate how the minutes are actually dispersed.

Seems like we have following schools of thought:
1) Nelson and Dji are basically battling for 40 MPG at PG, with neither playing off the ball much if at all
2) PG - Nelson is heir apparent, Dji as main back up and battling for Non PG minutes
3) Dji and Nelson playing together quite a bit
4) Goose primary back up to whoever wins PG battle.

I think however we come out of pre season practice and exhibitions could change pretty quickly once the real games start.
I say yes to 1, yes to 2, but no minutes for either at non PG. No to 3. And, no to 4 because I do think Dji will get back up minutes at PG. Now, would my head explode if 4 turns into a yes? No, it would just tell me Goose is the better option than Dji there, but I don't see that happening. But, just guessing here right now.

I say yes to 1, yes to 2, but no minutes for either at non PG. No to 3. And, no to 4 because I do think Dji will get back up minutes at PG. Now, would my head explode if 4 turns into a yes? No, it would just tell me Goose is the better option than Dji there, but I don't see that happening. But, just guessing here right now.
If you say no to 3…what do you think it means if JayNel and Dji have been running together with the ones all summer consistently?

We should certainly been 2 digits in their ranking if Bryant if 99 :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
College Basketball Review - @CbbReview

We're counting down the best teams in college basketball.

So far: 100. Richmond Spiders
99. Bryant Bulldogs
Wasn't Bryant the school that offers everyone a scholarship? They put out like 100 scholarship offers and its like first come first serve?

If you say no to 3…what do you think it means if JayNel and Dji have been running together with the ones all summer consistently?
Is this simply because Goose was gone for awhile and Dji was next man up at that spot, or has Dji surpassed Goose as a player and will stay there now that Goose is back? Dji has always had the higher upside, is he tapping into it now that he is healthy?

Reactions: SpiderDogg
It means that Goose, Roche, and/or Bigelow will have less minutes than I thought. Or, sometimes young guys get a lot more time in the off season. But, whatever the reason, it would surprise if we see it when the season gets here. I just don't want 2 of Goose, Roche, and Bigelow on the bench. Feels like we are wasting too much talent if we did that. Too much proven talent. Is Dji a better dedensive option than Goose, or a better 3 point threat than Roche, or a more versatile option than Bigelow?

Last edited:
Wasn't Bryant the school that offers everyone a scholarship? They put out like 100 scholarship offers and its like first come first serve?
Something like that I think and they also need to be able to control their fans a bit better ...

Is this simply because Goose was gone for awhile and Dji was next man up at that spot, or has Dji surpassed Goose as a player and will stay there now that Goose is back? Dji has always had the higher upside, is he tapping into it now that he is healthy?
I can’t say, but Goose had been back for the 2nd half of the summer. Obviously summer is important and things can change going into preseason. Still a ways to go but if we see both out there we shouldn’t be surprised, that’s all.

at the very least, Coach wants to take a good long look at it right now.
there's no way he's looking long term as both just for one position.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
It means that Goose, Roche, and/or Bigelow will have less minutes than I thought. Or, sometimes young guys get a lot more time in the off season. But, whatever the reason, it would surprise if we see it when the season gets here. I just don't want 2 of Goose, Roche, and Bigelow on the bench. Feels like we are wasting too much talent if we did that. Too much proven talent. Is Dji a better dedensive option than Goose, or a better 3 point threat than Roche, or a more versatile option than Bigelow?
Well you may be surprised…as far as being a better defender than Goose, I will say Dji is just as good a defender as Goose. Goose has proven it more. But I look forward to Dji proving a lot of people wrong.

Reactions: spiderman
Well you may be surprised…as far as being a better defender than Goose, I will say Dji is just as good a defender as Goose. Goose has proven it more. But I look forward to Dji proving a lot of people wrong.
No worries. I guess I would ask if we are comparing Goose with Dji, what changed from the end of last year? I guess we will find out what happens, but if Nelson and Dji see a lot of time together, and Goose, Roche, and Bigelow are all healthy, I might have to ruin my I like Mooney too much reputation and get on him a little bit. I thought a few weeks ago, it was Dji played PG in high school, and Dji is definitely a PG.

Last edited:
No worries. I guess I would ask if we are comparing Goose with Dji, what changed from the end of last year? I guess we will find out what happens, but if Nelson and Dji see a lot of time together, and Goose, Roche, and Bigelow are all healthy, I might have to ruin my I like Mooney too much reputation and get on him a little bit.
I don’t want to compare him with anyone really. Just answering part of your question. Dji didn’t come here to sit on bench. At the same time neither did any of the other guys. They are all working hard. We will see soon how this all shakes out and I think we will be a very solid team.

I don’t want to compare him with anyone really. Just answering part of your question. Dji didn’t come here to sit on bench. At the same time neither did any of the other guys. They are all working hard. We will see soon how this all shakes out and I think we will be a very solid team.
Agree. Good by me. I realize that Dji could be a combo type guard, and would be all for that if we didn't have other options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT