ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

I’m curious why Davidson is ahead of us in most rankings. Didn’t they lose as much or more than we did and they have a new coach?
Still have Loyer and I think they’ve generally been more consistent than UR, so I suspect that’s part of it.

At the end of the day, I think the “mixed middle” is going to be hugely debatable. There are some known top and bottom dwellers, those are more predictable.

Yep I am not sure the love for Davidson either. Agree that maybe has to do with point guard position. Lee and Luka were two top players, and the slow kid who killed us is ok but struggles against good d. All gone. They bring in a very highly touted freshman shooter, but don't see justification for being ahead of us.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yep I am not sure the love for Davidson either. Agree that maybe has to do with point guard position. Lee and Luka were two top players, and the slow kid who killed us is ok but struggles against good d. All gone. They bring in a very highly touted freshman shooter, but don't see justification for being ahead of us.
Mike Jones is who I think you are referring who is grad transfer at Stanfor.d.

Davidson is also bringing in Kochera from W&M, CAA rookie of the year. And Skogman from Buffalo, a decent big.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Davidson is also bringing in Kochera from W&M, CAA rookie of the year. And Skogman from Buffalo, a decent big.
Quinn and Roche, both better than those dudes and more accomplished (and in Roche's case, from a much better league than the CAA). I know you're only making the case the prognosticators might make though.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Right EL, I had read about Davidson's additions, and feel like our's are better. And they lost Lee, and we brought back Burton. My feeling for all the Davidson love is A) Loyer is a very good PG, and B) Daddy Mckillop lives just up the street and will be playing puppet master for his son.
And I have it on good authority that Sam Menenga wakes up from a nightmare every night screaming: Matty Effing Grace, Noooooooooo!

I agree Quinn and Roche are clearly better than Skogman and Kochera. Clearly. I doubt Kochera would get much time for us.

Reactions: spider23
I can't. We lost 3, not 4, of 5 starters. We return a POY candidate in Tyler, and a solid 1st team all defensive guy in Goose. Quinn will be one of the best bigs in the A-10, Grace returns after a solid year last year, Roche was a top volume 3 shooter last year, and Bigelow looks to be a very versatile guy who will do a little of everything. And, there is Nelson, who appears to be more than ready to take over at PG.
Picking us tier 3 is a joke. I think Nelson will be the difference in whether we finish tier 1 or 2. We kind of know what we have elsewhere, and what we have is a solid mix of guys that make us a much more versatile team than last year. We will likely see a drop off from Jacob, but if Nelson can show he is the next great PG here, the drop off will not be dramatic, and overall, with our other pieces, we should have a better regular season than last year.
ok, devil's advocate without the red and blue colored glasses ...

yes, we do return Burton who was 2nd team all conference.
Goose was not on the all defensive team last year. I guess you're projecting for this year.
Quinn, Roche and Bigelow all played in lower level conferences.
Grace averaged 4.1 ppg and 2.4 rpg as a senior. nobody outside of Richmond gets excited with those numbers.
we graduated an all time great PG and are replacing him with PGs who haven't played a minute of PG at the college level.
we graduated a C who scored 2,100 points.
we graduated a PF who started 124 games.

the tier 3 projection may end up wrong, but it's perfectly reasonable from an unbiased view.

I agree Quinn and Roche are clearly better than Skogman and Kochera. Clearly. I doubt Kochera would get much time for us.

Now I like our pair better but kochera is a good player. If he plays significant mins at Davidson I think fair to say he would have here too.

Goose was not on the all defensive team last year. I guess you're projecting for this year.
Grace averaged 4.1 ppg and 2.4 rpg as a senior. nobody outside of Richmond gets excited with those numbers.
we graduated an all time great PG and are replacing him with PGs who haven't played a minute of PG at the college level.

the tier 3 projection may end up wrong, but it's perfectly reasonable from an unbiased view.
Agree 100%. Even though I think UR did well in the portal, the projection is reasonable. My suspicion is that the Spiders will do a bit better than projected, but I don't predict them to win the league. An NIT bid would signify a very good season.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
Agree 100%. Even though I think UR did well in the portal, the projection is reasonable. My suspicion is that the Spiders will do a bit better than projected, but I don't predict them to win the league. An NIT bid would signify a very good season.
agreed. we might be amazing. we might win the whole thing. I love our pieces. but still, that guy's projection isn't unreasonable.

Now I like our pair better but kochera is a good player. If he plays significant mins at Davidson I think fair to say he would have here too.
Why? If he plays significant minutes at Davidson, it is because they don't have guys like Tyler, Bigelow, and Goose in front of him.

I'm not saying the guy should have us winning the conference, but tier 3 and 8th in the conference is a long way away from winning the conference. The good news is we get to find out how right or wrong (I say wrong) his prediction will be.

Why? If he plays significant minutes at Davidson, it is because they don't have guys like Tyler, Bigelow, and Goose in front of him.

Because davidson is a good program & they have consistently good players. And I think kochera is another.

& aren’t u a 3 guard lineup guy? So minutes here too. But if kochera were here Bigelow may not be. Either him or Roche certainly wouldn’t be. So u have 1 less g/f in equation too.

Because davidson is a good program & they have consistently good players. And I think kochera is another.

& aren’t u a 3 guard lineup guy? So minutes here too. But if kochera were here Bigelow may not be. Either him or Roche certainly wouldn’t be. So u have 1 less g/f in equation too.
I hear you, and, yes, I like having 3 guards out there. I just like Roche and Bigelow a lot better than Kochera, and I think he would be well behind them for playing time if he came here. Just my opinion.

Because davidson is a good program
Yes, Davidson had some history pre McKillop, but basically they are a coach not a program to me. I think Matt is being quick to be coronated as a copy of his dad. Sat behind the Davidson bench at the URI game, and I will say it was quite an interesting dynamic. Basically all the other assistants seemed to be towel boys, and Matt was up behind his father battling with the refs the whole game.
He may well hit the ground running but let's see it first. He definitely lost a lot (like us) , but not sure if it has been replaced. As much as I have banged on Mooney on here, I would put him well above Matt at this time. I may very well be proven wrong, but that is a big pair of shoes to fill, with less bullets to fire than last.

Reactions: spiderman
Yes, Davidson had some history pre McKillop, but basically they are a coach not a program to me. I think Matt is being quick to be coronated as a copy of his dad. Sat behind the Davidson bench at the URI game, and I will say it was quite an interesting dynamic. Basically all the other assistants seemed to be towel boys, and Matt was up behind his father battling with the refs the whole game.
He may well hit the ground running but let's see it first. He definitely lost a lot (like us) , but not sure if it has been replaced. As much as I have banged on Mooney on here, I would put him well above Matt at this time. I may very well be proven wrong, but that is a big pair of shoes to fill, with less bullets to fire than last.
Lefty seemed to do ok there...
But then again this isn't the 60s...

Agreed, I think we are better but an outside is gonna see us losing Gilly and Golden, our two "studs" for 5 plus years, plus Cayo and with little proven talent outside of Burton, Tier 3 seems right. I think we are better than that obviously, I would have us a Tier 2.

Reactions: plydogg
Yep, the tier part is way crazy to me as well. He can't even put us at the end of tier 2? So, not only are we behind Davidson, Mason, Loyola, and Rhode Island, we are a whole tier below them?

Another one really elevating VCU for no legitimate reason.

Well except that they always reload. 10 A10 seasons, 7 bids, think only a couple "down" years where they weren't near the top of A10 standings.

Yes they lost a lot, but take away unknown on transfers, they have a good player coming back from injury & always recruit well.

And every year someone, usually it's you, says that VCU won't be very good. I'm in the will believe it when I see it category so can easily understand why picked the way they r. Surest thing year after year in A10. Ok now I'm going to go vomit for writing that.

I hope the Spiders can really build off last year's NCAA run and knocking out VCU in process.

I don't disagree that they end up there more often than not, but lately it's been because the league has sucked. I don't even object to someone picking them top-4 but just say that you're doing it because they usually end up there. I don't think two retreads from Michigan and a Napoleon Dynamite stiff from Hartford or wherever he came from should immediately convince anyone that they're this great team.

Have we seen this before?

This preseason analysis is much better than the others I have read. No UR fan likes preseason VCU love, but their finishes in the A10 speak for themselves. Always easier to play as an underdog, so I agree with everyone else on that front. If I had to pick a preseason ranking spot, I think 5th is a great place to be ranked and definitely seems appropriate for this year’s team that has to replace 3 starters, 2 of which are at or near the top of all time school leader lists.

This preseason analysis is much better than the others I have read. No UR fan likes preseason VCU love, but their finishes in the A10 speak for themselves. Always easier to play as an underdog, so I agree with everyone else on that front. If I had to pick a preseason ranking spot, I think 5th is a great place to be ranked and definitely seems appropriate for this year’s team that has to replace 3 starters, 2 of which are at or near the top of all time school leader lists.
Agree, I think this analysis seemed to be more accurate and researched than most I have seen. We have a lot of unknowns, but have a pretty good ceiling if the transfers work out like we hope, and Crab and Dji are fully healthy and able to contribute like we hope too.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Agree, I think this analysis seemed to be more accurate and researched than most I have seen. We have a lot of unknowns, but have a pretty good ceiling if the transfers work out like we hope, and Crab and Dji are fully healthy and able to contribute like we hope too.
Dji is fully healthy I can’t speak for Crab but I think he is too. One of those guys has been a fixture with the ones all summer 😉 Agree 23 our ceiling is pretty good and I’m ready for the season to start. Now back to Disney World 😀

I don’t see any way Connor doesn’t have two years left, if he wants both.
Maybe Connor has already told him this is it for him - so Mooney just protecting him a bit.

Plus - I don't see Connor getting significant minutes this year or next year. I think he has a role, but it is probably very similar to this past season - come off the bench, maybe get 10 minutes a game. Provide some shooting. Thats about it.

Dji is fully healthy I can’t speak for Crab but I think he is too. One of those guys has been a fixture with the ones all summer 😉 Agree 23 our ceiling is pretty good and I’m ready for the season to start. Now back to Disney World 😀
Get ready to bend over at dinner time. Cheeseburger at Ruth’s Chris prices!! 😂 Have fun, Disney never disappoints.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT