ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

I have no clue on the official plan, but that sounds about right. Hopefully we'll already know most of it before then...already have a good portion of it outlined, at least matchups.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I have no clue on the official plan, but that sounds about right. Hopefully we'll already know most of it before then...already have a good portion of it outlined, at least matchups.
I’m a little disappointed I didn’t get something like, “Since mooney became coach, he has released the official schedule 14 out of 17 seasons by 9/1 and the remaining instances no later than 9/15.” But appreciate it. :)

Yeah, too much work for me right now. :)

But you're right that in recent years the full schedule release is usually in early September (aside from the delayed 2020–21 season). We've sometimes released the OOC schedule earlier like in early August, but we don't always do that.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
These are still the unis from last season. New ones haven’t came in. But I’m not sure if there is a design change.
Thanks, maybe there's still hope! Seems like they'd want to do picture day in the uniforms they are going to wear during the season, though. Weird timing.

Reactions: urfan1
Id like to see some sort of red/blue gradient uniform. Have the chapel in the under print with the RVA skyline on below the number on the back of the jersey, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Intellectual property rights be damned, I want us to roll out in this:

1008d13d-940b-4c14-98db-14c90c82b778_1.924946c9578c55723e2f2d2a47914883.jpeg

Mooney interview...noticed he says Crabtree using bonus covid year when actually he would have normal 5th year eligibility from transfer/rs sit out season & 23-24 would really be his covid bonus year. So think Crabtree really has 2 years left if he wants it but Mooney presents as 1. Maybe misspoke or for some reason it is just 1 idk.

I think they'd consider this Connor's free Covid year. He'll have to apply for the extra medical redshirt year if he wants it (which he'd certainly get) since he'd be needing 6 years for his 4, but this one comes without any application.

Crabtree graduated. so like Grace, Goose, and the 4 last year ... just the fact he came back says something about the way they all feel about the school and program.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
I think they'd consider this Connor's free Covid year. He'll have to apply for the extra medical redshirt year if he wants it (which he'd certainly get) since he'd be needing 6 years for his 4, but this one comes without any application.

Crabtree graduated. so like Grace, Goose, and the 4 last year ... just the fact he came back says something about the way they all feel about the school and program.

Would he? idk but my feeling is he would not have to apply for medical redshirt. That year was his normal transfer sit out season. It was before the new rules went into place, he was required to sit out. Yes he would have been out for medical reasons too, but seems like the traditional transfer redshirt takes precedence so fact he was also hurt is meaningless to ncaa. But maybe something in play due to the 6 years.

Would he? idk but my feeling is he would not have to apply for medical redshirt. That year was his normal transfer sit out season. It was before the new rules went into place, he was required to sit out. Yes he would have been out for medical reasons too, but seems like the traditional transfer redshirt takes precedence so fact he was also hurt is meaningless to ncaa. But maybe something in play due to the 6 years.
not sure how would be handled.

18-19 played at Tulane
19-20 was his transfer redshirt year.
20-21 was his Covid year. he gets that back. does he get a year added for the medical redshirt year too?
21-22 played at UR

normally you get 5 years to play 4, barring a medical exemption. but with Covid ... does everyone get 6 to play 5?
he's only played 2 so he certainly should have 2 years of eligibilty left. any chance he has 3 left?

not sure how would be handled.

18-19 played at Tulane
19-20 was his transfer redshirt year.
20-21 was his Covid year. he gets that back. does he get a year added for the medical redshirt year too?
21-22 played at UR

normally you get 5 years to play 4, barring a medical exemption. but with Covid ... does everyone get 6 to play 5?
he's only played 2 so he certainly should have 2 years of eligibilty left. any chance he has 3 left?
Is 20-21 the year that everyone didn't count towards their eligibility?
And didn't he play in the 5th through 8th games that year?

Is it 6 to play 5? or 5 to play 4 and not include 20-21 in either the 5 or the 4?

Is 20-21 the year that everyone didn't count towards their eligibility?
And didn't he play in the 5th through 8th games that year?

Is it 6 to play 5? or 5 to play 4 and not include 20-21 in either the 5 or the 4?
I think we need SF on this!

Reactions: urmite

nice take by Matt. I don't like why Bigelow (?) is 10 feet off of Grace when he's just one pass away, though. shouldn't be so far that you have to lunge like that.

nice take by Matt. I don't like why Bigelow (?) is 10 feet off of Grace when he's just one pass away, though. shouldn't be so far that you have to lunge like that.
Looks like he was asleep at the switch. Grace could have drained that 3 on him pretty easily, but once he left his feet, Mattyice had his choice of how to end that. Realize this is just practice but I see nice minutes from Grace all year.

Thought I saw Goose in some of these clips. I know it was reported earlier he was home for the summer? Is he back, if so when?
Goose is definitely in the clips featuring Roche. I am guessing Goose had no classes in the two 5 week summer sessions and came back recently as those summer sessions are now over.

Reactions: spider23

Not a ton of respect out there. Seems like the more glittery transfers are getting more credit than our haul. Rhody ahead of us?? Miller was very successful at Dayton, but will be tougher road at URI I believe.

I get it, we lost a ton. One thing I do like is that all three of our transfers have played big minutes at D1 level, and produced. And another big thing is that they all seem like really good fits and fill specific needs. Heck, Umass has probably more former top 150 h.s. recruits than anyone else (maybe not) but let's see how they fit.

I think we’re better than all of tier two, pretty laughable rankings here. By the way we have the best player in the conference on our team. I think the sheep won’t be very good either. Congrats on picking up busts who couldn’t crack the lineup on a 14 loss Michigan team.

There’s probably a little bit of homerism going on to think we’re a solid tier2 or projected tier1 team. On paper, we lost (edit: 3) of 5 starters, the vast majority of our scoring and rebounding, and were 6th in conference last year even with all of that.

I think we picked up some great pieces but I can see why a pundit would not have UR projected super high.

Last edited:
There’s probably a little bit of homerism going on to think we’re a solid tier2 or projected tier1 team. On paper, we lost 4 of 5 starters, the vast majority of our scoring and rebounding, and were 6th in conference last year even with all of that.

I think we picked up some great pieces but I can see why a pundit would not have UR projected super high.
I can't. We lost 3, not 4, of 5 starters. We return a POY candidate in Tyler, and a solid 1st team all defensive guy in Goose. Quinn will be one of the best bigs in the A-10, Grace returns after a solid year last year, Roche was a top volume 3 shooter last year, and Bigelow looks to be a very versatile guy who will do a little of everything. And, there is Nelson, who appears to be more than ready to take over at PG.
Picking us tier 3 is a joke. I think Nelson will be the difference in whether we finish tier 1 or 2. We kind of know what we have elsewhere, and what we have is a solid mix of guys that make us a much more versatile team than last year. We will likely see a drop off from Jacob, but if Nelson can show he is the next great PG here, the drop off will not be dramatic, and overall, with our other pieces, we should have a better regular season than last year.

I can't. We lost 3, not 4, of 5 starters. We return a POY candidate in Tyler, and a solid 1st team all defensive guy in Goose. Quinn will be one of the best bigs in the A-10, Grace returns after a solid year last year, Roche was a top volume 3 shooter last year, and Bigelow looks to be a very versatile guy who will do a little of everything. And, there is Nelson, who appears to be more than ready to take over at PG.
Picking us tier 3 is a joke. I think Nelson will be the difference in whether we finish tier 1 or 2. We kind of know what we have elsewhere, and what we have is a solid mix of guys that make us a much more versatile team than last year. We will likely see a drop off from Jacob, but if Nelson can show he is the next great PG here, the drop off will not be dramatic, and overall, with our other pieces, we should have a better regular season than last year.
Dude, I get it, and correction, 3 of 5. I was counting Nick as the fourth since he started is out beginning of season, error on me.

Again, I’m not saying we don’t have good pieces, but our situation doesn’t project as significantly better than those other teams. Many of them have pulled P5 transfers who on paper probably look somewhat better than we do to these pundits.

Id like to think we have a top4 team but I thought that last year and that team was pretty loaded and known compared to this one. We can’t even agree on who the starters are likely to be, so tons of uncertainty.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Dude, I get it, and correction, 3 of 5. I was counting Nick as the fourth since he started is out beginning of season, error on me.

Again, I’m not saying we don’t have good pieces, but our situation doesn’t project as significantly better than those other teams. Many of them have pulled P5 transfers who on paper probably look somewhat better than we do to these pundits.

Id like to think we have a top4 team but I thought that last year and that team was pretty loaded and known compared to this one. We can’t even agree on who the starters are likely to be, so tons of uncertainty.
Unless we are on the coaching staff, it’s still a guess on us. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: SpiderDad75
When I said I can't earlier, I was talking about tier 3 and 8th. I just can't see picking us there. Shoot, Burton alone won't put us that low. But, I can agree that it is fine if someone does not have us super high, as in 1-3. But, not only did this dude have us 8th, he has us in a 3rd tier. So, he has us pretty far from "super high".

Not a ton of respect out there. Seems like the more glittery transfers are getting more credit than our haul. Rhody ahead of us?? Miller was very successful at Dayton, but will be tougher road at URI I believe.
Is there even a need for 4 tiers? If UR was in second of three tiers probably not much discussion and that seems like where most other projections place them. Lots of uncertainty within the A10 which is typical.

Of course, all that matters is that the Spiders finish in the real Tier 1 (top 4) at the end of the season.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I’m curious why Davidson is ahead of us in most rankings. Didn’t they lose as much or more than we did and they have a new coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT