ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

209 out of 363 d1 schools have released non conf schedules. So not abnormal. Some of those teams, like Vcu, released a schedule with a TBD opponent. We could do the same with 12/13 known but I don’t see the point in that.
Someone is worried about the non-existent kinkos reprint fees we’d get into if we publish too early.

209 out of 363 d1 schools have released non conf schedules. So not abnormal. Some of those teams, like Vcu, released a schedule with a TBD opponent. We could do the same with 12/13 known but I don’t see the point in that.
SF, can you please verify the 209 stat? Thanks

Maybe to sell some tickets?

well agree that is the top reason tho I don’t think there’s much of an advance single game tix demand at U of R. I assume u can buy or reserve season tix. Aug/Sept is the traditional release for most schools so we’re still in the normal go time. Ppl like to plan ahead but hard to believe right now that it has any negative effect on our attendance. Most U of R single game purchasers also know there r ticket deals to be had later.

that all said I’m interested in finding out last game & seeing the full schedule too.

also crazy that I hit my 209 # out of thin air

Three on ESPN networks (2x VCU, Loyola), three on USA (at Bona, Fordham, Mason), and one on CBSSN (at Dayton). Rest on ESPN+.

Sat., Dec. 31 at George Mason TBA ESPN+
Wed., Jan. 4 George Washington TBA ESPN+
Sat., Jan. 7 Duquesne TBA ESPN+
Wed., Jan. 11 at Davidson TBA ESPN+
Sat., Jan. 14 at St. Bonaventure 2:30 pm USA Network
Tues., Jan. 17 Rhode Island TBA ESPN+
Fri., Jan. 20 VCU TBA ESPN Networks
Wed., Jan. 25 at Massachusetts TBA ESPN+
Sat., Jan. 28 at Dayton TBA CBSSN
Wed., Feb. 1 St. Bonaventure TBA ESPN+
Sun., Feb. 5 Fordham Noon USA Network
Wed., Feb. 8 at George Washington TBA ESPN+
Sat., Feb. 11 Loyola Chicago TBA ESPN Networks
Wed., Feb. 15 at La Salle TBA ESPN+
Tues., Feb. 21 Saint Louis TBA ESPN+
Fri., Feb. 24 at VCU TBA ESPN Networks
Wed., Mar. 1 at Saint Joseph’s TBA ESPN+
Sat., Mar. 4 George Mason 12:30 pm USA Network

Reactions: plydogg
Schedule is out Time for predictions.

VMI - W
Northern Iowa - W
@Charleston - W
Syracuse - L
St. John/Temple - L
@ Toledo - L
W&M - W
Drake - L
FDU - W
Clemson - W
Bucknell - W
Coppin St. - W

8-4 in OOC. Nothing great because I think we lose early games. But I think as OOC is closing we gain some confidence with a Clemson win.

Last edited:
And here's the "full" UR schedule...still one slot open for OOC.

Wonder if a few other comparable schools might also be holding back a game as well to allow for schedule flexbility and/or even a possible late season mid major non-conf showdown

I don't think we're holding back...I think we're just having trouble finding a matchup. Coppin State slotted right into option 3 among the gaps I mentioned a few days ago. We still have a gap between 11/14 and 11/21 where we're probably trying to find somebody. The other option would be right after Thanksgiving.

Any late-season OOC matchups would need to be planned for by the A-10 to leave time for them. We're not putting ourselves at a disadvantage in A-10 play by giving up one of our bye dates in crunch time.

As of a few years ago, I believe there was a weird-ish NCAA rule that all teams participating in a given MTE must have the same number of total games on their schedules. I'm not sure if that's still in effect, but if so, it could force us to add a final game in any way possible. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the other Empire Classic teams will play 31.

So there’s a chance this is it and we roll with 12 OOC games? That would be disappointing
Yeah, if we end up with only 12 and don't add another quality game, that should be a pretty large black mark for our scheduling department. It won't be, because we got Teflon Mooney running things, but it should. Would go right up there with when we used to leave open schollies on the table for next year.

As of a few years ago, I believe there was a weird-ish NCAA rule that all teams participating in a given MTE must have the same number of total games on their schedules. I'm not sure if that's still in effect, but if so, it could force us to add a final game in any way possible. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the other Empire Classic teams will play 31.

that would be really weird. Can’t imagine in place. SF what would be ncaa motivation for such a rule? & they can’t do anything about fake classes or illegal NIL deals imagine penalty for that nothing rule.

but hey if it pushed us more to add game then fine. Regardless we should be at 31.

we might not want to add another 250 or 300+ game if that is what stuck with idk but that would be on staff too for previously scheduling too many.

Yeah, if we end up with only 12 and don't add another quality game, that should be a pretty large black mark for our scheduling department. It won't be, because we got Teflon Mooney running things, but it should. Would go right up there with when we used to leave open schollies on the table for next year.
agreed. as SF said, we have somoe options to fit a game in. there have to be others who need a game. we should be willing to host, or bus, or even fly to the right game.

agreed. as SF said, we have somoe options to fit a game in. there have to be others who need a game. we should be willing to host, or bus, or even fly to the right game.
Agreed, just find another game and play it (obviously not another MEAC or CAA team either with the final game). Glad to at least see that we said in the presser that we are still holding open an option for another game. Now, let's get it done.

Three on ESPN networks (2x VCU, Loyola), three on USA (at Bona, Fordham, Mason), and one on CBSSN (at Dayton). Rest on ESPN+.

As someone without cable who lives far away, I vastly prefer showing games on ESPN+

Highly doubtful that many mid-major and above teams leave games on the table like that. I'm sure we will get something in there but it could be literally anyone. A lot of teams are sticking a non-D1 opponent into the non-conference package for some reason these days. Could even see that happening.

we're open for a game 11/27. Providence currently has a game 11/20 (home) and 11/30 (@ TCU).

not as good, but High Point plays 11/23 and 11/30.
Longwood 11/20 and 11/30.

As someone without cable who lives far away, I vastly prefer showing games on ESPN+
youtube TV can also be useful during bball season .. so glad not to see to need this year for the horrible 1 month FLO purchase to watch us play a CAA team (since I do plan on being at College of Charleston game)

16 of 30 opponents were not under .500 last season. Is that typical?

we're open for a game 11/27. Providence currently has a game 11/20 (home) and 11/30 (@ TCU).

not as good, but High Point plays 11/23 and 11/30.
Longwood 11/20 and 11/30.
High Point and Longwood actually probably help more than hurt. Providence would be an interesting play though, rematch from the NCAA last year.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Glad to at least see that we said in the presser that we are still holding open an option for another game. Now, let's get it done.

Yes and Mooney is on record with wanting to get another game too. But a few years ago we said the same thing in the press release, it was even more firm not "potentially" and then later they went back and scrubbed the whole line completely from the release, when they realized weren't going to be able to get the last game. very strange & unprofessional. Hopefully we don't repeat in both respects.

Reactions: Eight Legger

check out tweet. even with the schedule out they don't sell individual game tix or mini plans yet. weeks away. So that wasn't pushing the release. Tho now u can for season tix which is good, but imo u should have been able to buy or reserve season tix by now already. I don't know how they handle, I was a STH long ago but not local. But from what I remember your season tix was still based on a per game cost. Meaning the more home games the more cost. Makes sense. But what do they do now. We could have another home game with 1 more to go. Do they just give it out free? A season tix cost would have to be set. Maybe they have a fixed cost now no matter how many home games. Or they know for sure the last game would not be a home game. just curious.

check out tweet. even with the schedule out they don't sell individual game tix or mini plans yet. weeks away. So that wasn't pushing the release. Tho now u can for season tix which is good, but imo u should have been able to buy or reserve season tix by now already. I don't know how they handle, I was a STH long ago but not local. But from what I remember your season tix was still based on a per game cost. Meaning the more home games the more cost. Makes sense. But what do they do now. We could have another home game with 1 more to go. Do they just give it out free? A season tix cost would have to be set. Maybe they have a fixed cost now no matter how many home games. Or they know for sure the last game would not be a home game. just curious.
season ticket prices are already locked in, I don't think they are going to come around in another month asking for more money if they sign another game.

season ticket prices are already locked in, I don't think they are going to come around in another month asking for more money if they sign another game.

Thx I don't either. Do you know if new season tix were available for purchase before today? It is unclear in the tweet.

I got mine weeks ago

u r a renewal tho, I assume may be different. But the reason I was asking goes back to gospiders post re: selling tix. Having a published schedule can help with tix, but we r not using the release to sell per game or mini plan tickets right now at all. And maybe not even season tix if they were already available.

So because UR wasn't that motivated by tix sales, my feeling is UR would have waited on the release if they were close to filling the last game. The release without 13th game means they r not very close to securing a 13th. Just my speculation. if they were about to fill the 13th they wait. So I take this as bad news on the 13th ooc game, especially with what happened a few years ago too. Hopefully I'm wrong or something comes up unexpectedly with the last game.

u r a renewal tho, I assume may be different. But the reason I was asking goes back to gospiders post re: selling tix. Having a published schedule can help with tix, but we r not using the release to sell per game or mini plan tickets right now at all. And maybe not even season tix if they were already available.

So because UR wasn't that motivated by tix sales, my feeling is UR would have waited on the release if they were close to filling the last game. The release without 13th game means they r not very close to securing a 13th. Just my speculation. if they were about to fill the 13th they wait. So I take this as bad news on the 13th ooc game, especially with what happened a few years ago too. Hopefully I'm wrong or something comes up unexpectedly with the last game.
I think your reasoning is sound.
Are we expecting any Covid cancellations this year? If so might be good strategy to try to pickup a really good game in the middle of the season.

"Deadline" for season ticket renewal was end of August. So, that has gone and past. I was kind of surprised they didn't up the rates after our run. Season tickets are still a great value.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT