ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Can't remember if they have confirmed the format before...
But to get to 12 teams after the first day...

So 6 no bye, 5 bye, 4 double bye...

I assume season tix to be the same price no matter the number of home games. Because in a way your buying the tickets for the current season, but also buying the right to renew for next season. So even if this current season has a low amount of home games, I wouldn't change the price - pay the same - cause next year the number might be back to normal.

VCU's TBD OOC game turned out to be Howard. I'll be pleasantly surprised if ours turns out to be better than that.

Someone mentioned Longwood - they play Nov. 20 and then again Nov. 29th and Dec. 3rd. Could maybe play them on Nov. 23rd - like a noon game, and then send kids home for Thanksgiving (if they get to go home) after that.

And Longwood has some attention with it because they made the tourney last year. I have not kept up with them this year, but I would assume they went after the transfer portal again. Just looking at their roster is looks like they have 6 kids with previous college experience elsewhere. No idea how good they will be - but I would take Longwood over Howard, and hope Longwood wins their league again or is in the top 2-3 teams. And their OOC is pretty weak so they might be looking to add - and they have 12 games.

Someone mentioned Longwood - they play Nov. 20 and then again Nov. 29th and Dec. 3rd. Could maybe play them on Nov. 23rd - like a noon game, and then send kids home for Thanksgiving (if they get to go home) after that.

And Longwood has some attention with it because they made the tourney last year. I have not kept up with them this year, but I would assume they went after the transfer portal again. Just looking at their roster is looks like they have 6 kids with previous college experience elsewhere. No idea how good they will be - but I would take Longwood over Howard, and hope Longwood wins their league again or is in the top 2-3 teams. And their OOC is pretty weak so they might be looking to add - and they have 12 games.
On Twitter someone posted Pitino and Iona might be looking for a final game .. would be good with that

we wouldn’t play them 11/23 pre-Thx there’s no way we play back to back games in Brooklyn 11/21 & 22 and the kids that can go home would then. Maybe 11/27 post Thx is option. I could see that. Longwood is little bit of an unknown this year but have good coach imo & i agree much better game than Howard. Tho it won’t excite anyone w our current schedule.

Trap: Ha! Longwood might be a bit risky...remember the 2018-19 season opener...they ruined the party and were the first loss in our 2nd 20 game loss season in a row!

the board melted down and was ready to run the team and coaching staff out of town...

that's was a long time ago and things have changed, but I'd prefer someone without that history...it's been mostly nice around here lately...

Go Spiders!

I agree - Longwood is a bit risky, because I think their coach is pretty good, and I think they have shown what they can do pulling in guys from the portal. But the other difference about this game is that it would not be at the beginning of the season - and my prediction has us losing both games in the Empire Classic, which means we should return home to Richmond hungry for a win, which would be Longwood.

But I agree - its riskier than Howard, but lets be honest - if we can't be Longwood on our home floor in game 6 of the season, then we might be struggling to secure an NIT bid - even if Longwood is an NCAA team at the end of the year.

On Twitter someone posted Pitino and Iona might be looking for a final game .. would be good with that
I saw that post, but I don't see a fit in the UR/Iona schedules right now if D1 Docket is accurate.
as for Longwood, I'd rather play them than stay at 30. but Providence would be much better.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Longwood just seems logical from a travel standpoint. Providence seems to have an opening from Nov. 20 - Nov. 30th - but that would be sandwiched between Hall of Fame Battle tip off and Big 12 Battle - so they might be looking for a cupcake game in between.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Providence is officially not an option...just announced their full schedule.

I hope we get one more home game in November. As of now there are only 2 home games before Dec 10th.
I agree and it looks like Longwood is a decent possibility. They would check off a number of boxes, but of course does not do anything for the overall impression of the schedule.

I don't really know what Longwood is expected to do this year, but last year they would have been a fine second-tier addition to our schedule with their 131 NET...Q2 away or Q3 home.

Torvik actually has them at 104 in his preseason ratings for next season, two spots ahead of us.

Not a name team by any means, but their numbers probably won't be nearly as bad for us as many other options. We also have to win the game, of course.

we're open for a game 11/27. Providence currently has a game 11/20 (home) and 11/30 (@ TCU).

not as good, but High Point plays 11/23 and 11/30.
Longwood 11/20 and 11/30.
Did Providence add Merrimack and Columbia?

Providence at Rhody nice. I would like to attend that one just to take in the atmosphere.
Providence at Rhody every even year since 2002 at least, odd years at Providence.
Missed 2021 so 2022 at Providence. Maybe now odd at Rhody....

I don't really know what Longwood is expected to do this year, but last year they would have been a fine second-tier addition to our schedule with their 131 NET...Q2 away or Q3 home.

Torvik actually has them at 104 in his preseason ratings for next season, two spots ahead of us.

Not a name team by any means, but their numbers probably won't be nearly as bad for us as many other options. We also have to win the game, of course.
I think this game could help us a lot more with a win than hurt us with a loss. Let's say Longwood goes 26-7 and makes the tourney like they did last year. A win over a tourney team looks good, and they might even be close to top 100. Would a loss to a 100-125ish team be that bad? No, and it would not be that loss that costs us a tourney spot, it would be other losses that did. Also, the extra win would look good, 23-8 looks a lot better than 22-8, and if we get to the A-10 finals, this game could be the difference in 24-9 or 25-9. To me, that is a big difference.

I think this game could help us a lot more with a win than hurt us with a loss. Let's say Longwood goes 26-7 and makes the tourney like they did last year. A win over a tourney team looks good, and they might even be close to top 100. Would a loss to a 100-125ish team be that bad? No, and it would not be that loss that costs us a tourney spot, it would be other losses that did. Also, the extra win would look good, 23-8 looks a lot better than 22-8, and if we get to the A-10 finals, this game could be the difference in 24-9 or 25-9. To me, that is a big difference.
They went 12-17 the prior year.
This is just a bad game and another one I have no interest in watching or scheduling.

I don't think Longwood falls down to 12-17 territory again. Just looking at their roster and transfers - they have 6 transfers from the following schools
1) Southern Miss
2) VA Tech/Wake
3) East Carolina
4) UC Riverside
5) College of Charleston
6) JMU

So I would expect Griff to work his magic and have them as a top team in their conference.

Reactions: VT4700
Like I said, I'm not sure what to expect from Longwood this season, but at least Torvik's model projects them to be pretty decent. Aldrich's first three years were middling at best, but last year was great for them.

It all depends on whether or not he's a one-hit wonder. They lost leading scorer Hill to Georgia, but picked up a decent-looking transfer in Napper from Southern Miss. They were also supposed to be adding Nic Elame from UT Arlington, but looks like he was removed from the roster recently and has signed with an agent...French-Cameroonian guy, so must be going pro abroad.

Like I said, I'm not sure what to expect from Longwood this season, but at least Torvik's model projects them to be pretty decent. Aldrich's first three years were middling at best, but last year was great for them.

It all depends on whether or not he's a one-hit wonder. They lost leading scorer Hill to Georgia, but picked up a decent-looking transfer in Napper from Southern Miss. They were also supposed to be adding Nic Elame from UT Arlington, but looks like he was removed from the roster recently and has signed with an agent...French-Cameroonian guy, so must be going pro abroad.

I'm not sure I would call his first 3 years middling...for Longwood. Not great records, but still an improvement over what he took over and trending up. Tough job, the prior decade at Longwood prior to him was really bad. I like his background under Tony Shaver and Ryan Odom.

But yeah harder to project when you have to rely on transfers so much, and whether he hit on these new ones is uncertain.

He certainly took over a dumpster fire, so yes, they were solid for Longwood but middling in general...going .500 in a not-murderers-row of Big South play in years 2 and 3. Big leap to dominating the conference last year thanks to the transfers, so we'll see if he can keep it going.

Well, he did have at least one great victory in those first 3 years...:(

I think it would be a decent 31st game but I don't think it's happening.
seems it would have been an easy one to schedule. if it worked it would already be locked in.

I think it would be a decent 31st game but I don't think it's happening.
seems it would have been an easy one to schedule. if it worked it would already be locked in.

yeah that's fair, it's all just speculation tho but bc of distance and both having openings, it makes a little more sense. U would hope we're trying for better/bigger name game & maybe it is a backup. Longwood would feel much better if we didn't have 5 total drags on the schedule already. Or they couldn't agree on dates initially but end up coming together. really only one I can see now is Nov. 27. Who knows. Although we really should be trying to get into another lower level P6 H&H, I'd take a buy game on road, I think 1 is ok. Not a lot of options out there probably. That is where that old scheduling site that somehow was public would come in handy. My feeling is they won't even get the 31st game which will be a big time mess up.

Reactions: spiderman
Regardless of any model, when ESPN flashes our best wins and losses on the screen if we are an at large contender, Longwood will only make the losses category. Nobody would consider this a good win. Nobody. Except maybe VT, Sman and SF.

Nope, wouldn't be a good win. But they also shouldn't be a NET anchor, and we can't really afford any more of those if we want to be in postseason discussion

Regardless of any model, when ESPN flashes our best wins and losses on the screen if we are an at large contender, Longwood will only make the losses category. Nobody would consider this a good win. Nobody. Except maybe VT, Sman and SF.
not saying it would be a good win. saying that on it's own it's an ok game. I'm fine with games in the 100-200 range. it's the 250+ games we should always avoid.

we have much worse games we already committed to this year.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
not saying it would be a good win. saying that on it's own it's an ok game. I'm fine with games in the 100-200 range. it's the 250+ games we should always avoid.

we have much worse games we already committed to this year.
Your last point is exactly my point. We have too many bad games already to sign this one up. Rather not play it than take it.

Argument over. Section9RowDSeats2and3 back me up here!

Your last point is exactly my point. We have too many bad games already to sign this one up. Rather not play it than take it.

Argument over. Section9RowDSeats2and3 back me up here!
Would you say the same about Cal or Nebraska?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT