ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Integrating Nelson -- not Quinn/Roche/Bigelow -- into the lineup might be a big reason why we decided to go light on the OOC portion of the schedule. We didn't exactly light things up in OOC when Gilyard was a young PG.

Reactions: spiderman
Yes - my bad. Nelson.

I think Nelson is the guy, and I think he will be really good for UR. I think he steps in and becomes the next great PG at UR, but I think there is an adjustment to that, especially given that he has a lot of new players around him. I think next year - he has ups and downs, but I think early in the season - we might need to let him play through those, get experience and hope its mostly ups the rest of the way.
Nelson might be the guy. or Dji. or Trevor Smith next year.
has anyone here (besides Dad) ever seen him play? he had a couple decent offers. I don't understand as a fan handing him the keys sight unseen. I hope he's legendary and breaks all records because that makes us better. but he's got to win a starting spot first. I'll let it play out.

Yes - my bad. Nelson.

I think Nelson is the guy, and I think he will be really good for UR. I think he steps in and becomes the next great PG at UR, but I think there is an adjustment to that, especially given that he has a lot of new players around him. I think next year - he has ups and downs, but I think early in the season - we might need to let him play through those, get experience and hope its mostly ups the rest of the way.
Gotcha. Naming Wilson and listing his stats made me think you didn't realize he's now playing for Winthrop.

But yes, Nelson certainly has a lot of expectations and weight on his shoulders. We won't know anything until he steps on the floor, and even then it'll likely take a bit.

Gotcha. Naming Wilson and listing his stats made me think you didn't realize he's now playing for Winthrop.

But yes, Nelson certainly has a lot of expectations and weight on his shoulders. We won't know anything until he steps on the floor, and even then it'll likely take a bit.
Nelson has a great mentor in his father who played both in h.s. and college, His learning curve is great.

Nelson is already 20, too, which I think will be a factor in him adjusting very quickly.
I like Nelson - saw him play in HS once we committed to UR. He fits the mold of smaller and quick PGs we have had under Mooney and I think given the opportunity, he will be very good for us. Just think its a lot to ask for him to be really good right out the door in game 1, and throw in he has some new pieces as well.

This is why I think my expectation for this team is we may struggle a little bit OOC, but I think by the time we hit back end of OOC and A10 play - we could be really good.

Reactions: urfan1
I like Nelson - saw him play in HS once we committed to UR. He fits the mold of smaller and quick PGs we have had under Mooney and I think given the opportunity, he will be very good for us. Just think its a lot to ask for him to be really good right out the door in game 1, and throw in he has some new pieces as well.

This is why I think my expectation for this team is we may struggle a little bit OOC, but I think by the time we hit back end of OOC and A10 play - we could be really good.
JayNel has looked really good

I am only expecting performances similar to this one from KA - I'll give Nelson a few games to get acclimated :):

Would love to get close to that. But lets remember - KA won A10 rookie of the year, but really it was born out of opportunity. We were a bad team then. Mooney was rebuilding. We finished 16-15 I think overall. And KA that season was able to play 35 minutes a game as a frosh, even though he only started 23 of the 31 games. He shot 38% overall, and 30% from 3. And 3 assists to 2 turnovers a game. SO not bad at all for a frosh, but they key is he was given the minutes to play through the learning curve. Something Nelson might need early on and I hope he gets.

To my post above, why no offshore trip this year. Perfect year to get a jump on chemistry and rotations. I'll wait for the excuses to pour in.
Not an excuse, but a possible explanation. You probably need to plan these a couple years in advance?

I have absolutely no concern about a learning curve. these aren't high school kids getting used to the size and speed of D1 basketball. these guys have already succeeded at the D1 level.

on top of that, they were here working in June. they're here in August. and we have all fall.
I think the complexity of Richmond basketball is way overstated here. these guys were smart enough to be accepted at UR. it's almost insulting to think they can't pick up our offense or play man defense.
What’s your definition of success? There is always a learning curve with our offense. But a lot of these guys have not succeeded at this level so there will be a learning curve.

I believe we could have pulled it together pretty quickly, the world is a lot smaller, planning travel a lot easier now - and Coach Fezz could have lined us up a bunch of beautiful teams to play.
Possibly. Maybe this year wouldn't have been the best one anyway. By November, the guys should be in good shape fitting in, but maybe August would have been a tougher time to get a lot out of the trip. Just a thought. Not saying I am right or wrong, but I don't think it is a diasaster that we didn't have a trip this year.

What’s your definition of success? There is always a learning curve with our offense. But a lot of these guys have not succeeded at this level so there will be a learning curve.
I meant they've achieved some individual success. they were starters and put up some numbers.
agreed at a lower level than the A10 ... and they didn't acheive a ton of team success.

I personally don't expect the transition to our program will be as difficult as some of you think. they have a lot of time together. they've played D1. it's much easier than moving up from high school. imo

When was the last time a Mooney team took an overseas/foreign trip?

I have even seen some teams just go to Canada, I have to believe that cuts cost.

In the past - the real reason for these trips was you got to perform full practices before anyone else. While that is still the case, its not a full advantage anymore because NCAA changed the rules a few years back to allow a certain number of hours each week for full team practices. But I agree with others - a trip would have been good, but I can also see with the transfer portal these trips becoming harder and harder to accomplish based on when guys decide to leave and attend other schools.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Outside of Nelson, every player on our team expected to play a meaningful role has played a lot of minutes at this level already. Roche, Goose, Quinn, Burton, Crabtree, Bigelow, Grace all have ample college experience under their belts.

Outside of Nelson, every player on our team expected to play a meaningful role has played a lot of minutes at this level already. Roche, Goose, Quinn, Burton, Crabtree, Bigelow, Grace all have ample college experience under their belts.
That doesn’t mean they were successful though is my point. Wilson last year played, but I don’t think anybody would call them successful. None of the board considered JJ successful and he averaged the same as Grace. Experience is different than success.

That doesn’t mean they were successful though is my point. Wilson last year played, but I don’t think anybody would call them successful. None of the board considered JJ successful and he averaged the same as Grace. Experience is different than success.
Who in their right mind wouldn’t consider Burton, Roche, or Quinn successful? They all received all conference honors last season. Or are you saying that *some* of the players haven’t been successful, so we shouldn’t call the entire group in general successful?

Ton of experience on the team
Quinn - 4th Year
Grace - 5th Year
Goose - 5th Year
Bigelow - 5th Year
Burton - 4th Year
Crabtree - 5th Year
Dji - 3rd Year
Roche - 2nd Year
Nelson - 2nd Year

As long as PG play is good we have proven talent in the A10. Only Dayton and SLU have more proven talent. Top 3 or bust.
The only problem talent on this list is Burton, Quinn, and Roche. They are the only players who proved to opposing teams to key in on.

Who in their right mind wouldn’t consider Burton, Roche, or Quinn successful? They all received all conference honors last season. Or are you saying that *some* of the players haven’t been successful, so we shouldn’t call the entire group in general successful?
Exactly. Those three were successful. Bigelow was solid. But don’t just say everybody is successful because they have advanced a year in college.

Reactions: fan2011
Exactly. Those three were successful. Bigelow was solid. But don’t just say everybody is successful because they have advanced a year in college.
I see your point, but I think we will have as much or more quality minutes returning than most of the teams we play. You mentioned Burton, Quinn, and Roche were successful, and said Bigelow was solid. I agree. Now, add Goose and Grace, and we are already at 6 solid or better guys. I say all are solid, but if you want to call Goose and Grace good and not solid, that is still 6 good or better players who have played a lot of college minutes already. I'm not sure a whole lot of teams can match this. What is missing is PG, and that is why I keep saying PG play is the key to our season this year.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
We also have to be careful as well with Roche and Quinn. They look like good players and had good years last year, but there is always a concern when transferring up - and I think we would all agree the competition in the A10 is greater than the Southern Conference and Patriot League. So will they be able to produce consistently at a higher level - I think they will, but we can just ignore the fact they are coming from lesser leagues - so its just expected they averaged 10 points in the Patriot league, a year older they should avg. 14 in the A10.

Reactions: POMSpidur
I see your point, but I think we will have as much or more quality minutes returning than most of the teams we play. You mentioned Burton, Quinn, and Roche were successful, and said Bigelow was solid. I agree. Now, add Goose and Grace, and we are already at 6 solid or better guys. I say all are solid, but if you want to call Goose and Grace good and not solid, that is still 6 good or better players who have played a lot of college minutes already. I'm not sure a whole lot of teams can match this. What is missing is PG, and that is why I keep saying PG play is the key to our season this year.
I understand what you’re saying, but I think the board is having recency bias with Grace because the big plays in A10. 4 points is not exactly what people consider good or solid. Along with Goose. Bigelow had better numbers and did not even start all the games at Wofford. So I wouldn’t Exactly say solid/good. I’d say needs to prove they can do more in a bigger role. But they aren’t exactly proven in my eyes.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I definitely think both are solid, and have long before the end of last year, but it's okay to disagree. I think they would get solid minutes for every A-10 team out there.

We also have to be careful as well with Roche and Quinn. They look like good players and had good years last year, but there is always a concern when transferring up - and I think we would all agree the competition in the A10 is greater than the Southern Conference and Patriot League. So will they be able to produce consistently at a higher level - I think they will, but we can just ignore the fact they are coming from lesser leagues - so its just expected they averaged 10 points in the Patriot league, a year older they should avg. 14 in the A10.
Do we have to be careful? Off the top of my head I can’t think of any all-conference players who transferred to the A10 from a lower conference and underperformed.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Always an optimist, but let me get this straight. With many 5 (6) year starters in 21-22, we went 10-8 in conference.

This season with 3 transfers and an entirely new asst coaching staff, we are going to blow the doors off from Day 1, bc they are all experienced college players and will have practiced together for 5 months.

Doesn't compute to me. More likely, growing pains in OCS , potentially dangerous in late season.

Always an optimist, but let me get this straight. With many 5 (6) year starters in 21-22, we went 10-8 in conference.

This season with 3 transfers and an entirely new asst coaching staff, we are going to blow the doors off from Day 1, bc they are all experienced college players and will have practiced together for 5 months.

Doesn't compute to me. More likely, growing pains in OCS , potentially dangerous in late season.
Clearly we should have been better than 10-8 last season in the A10 .. but with our most athletic player in at least a decade returning plus all returning and transfer talent expect 12-6 at the worst. Bookmark this post and I owe you a Bojangles chicken biscuit if I am wrong.

Clearly we should have been better than 10-8 last season in the A10 .. but with our most athletic player in at least a decade returning plus all returning and transfer talent expect 12-6 at the worst. Bookmark this post and I owe you a Bojangles chicken biscuit if I am wrong.
I thought I heard somewhere in March that we would be 7-24 to 10-21? ;) ;)

Reactions: spiderman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT