ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Your last point is exactly my point. We have too many bad games already to sign this one up. Rather not play it than take it.

Argument over. Section9RowDSeats2and3 back me up here!
they were #131 last year and preseason 104 this year.
if even close to accurate, in no way is that a bad game.

Reactions: VT4700
you have to fill your schedule to the max allowed. to not do so - especially after an ncaa year - is awful. The schedule is already pretty bad, on paper, but to miss out on playing the max amount of games would be just a terrible job.

In theory, on Selection Sunday would you rather have 23 wins or 24? especially if the last game is a net neutral to power rankings.

Regardless of any model, when ESPN flashes our best wins and losses on the screen if we are an at large contender, Longwood will only make the losses category. Nobody would consider this a good win. Nobody. Except maybe VT, Sman and SF.
ESPN doesn't decide the at large teams.

Regardless of any model, when ESPN flashes our best wins and losses on the screen if we are an at large contender, Longwood will only make the losses category. Nobody would consider this a good win. Nobody. Except maybe VT, Sman and SF.
So, we should schedule 13 top 100, or is it top 50? OOC games to make sure ESPN would only flash good win on the screen?

you have to fill your schedule to the max allowed. to not do so - especially after an ncaa year - is awful. The schedule is already pretty bad, on paper, but to miss out on playing the max amount of games would be just a terrible job.

In theory, on Selection Sunday would you rather have 23 wins or 24? especially if the last game is a net neutral to power rankings.
Great point at the end. 100% agree.
But I’m sure you can also agree that it’s better to add a good, recognizable opponent than a team like Longwood.

ESPN doesn't decide the at large teams.
Good argument, 4700. Not!

The committee members are also fans and we see repeatedly they are biased towards the P5 and known schools. We need a couple marquee wins outside our conference otherwise we will be easily dismissed if we are on the bubble.

No I would not. Would you?
They both performed worse than Longwood last year...
Will they this year?

I would rather play a team that is consistently average than a team like Longwood who is often poor.

However I would rather play a team that might be average than not play a team.

Your argument is you would rather play 5 less games than play 5 bad teams.
I don't think that would look well on Selection Sunday either.

Which would you choose as an at-large a team that is 26-7 with some wins against bad teams, or a team that is 17-7 with no games against bad teams. On a non-covid year, I think the committee would select the first team.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
They both performed worse than Longwood last year...
Will they this year?

I would rather play a team that is consistently average than a team like Longwood who is often poor.

However I would rather play a team that might be average than not play a team.

Your argument is you would rather play 5 less games than play 5 bad teams.
I don't think that would look well on Selection Sunday either.

Which would you choose as an at-large a team that is 26-7 with some wins against bad teams, or a team that is 17-7 with no games against bad teams. On a non-covid year, I think the committee would select the first team.
Definitely wasn’t my argument. I’d rather wait to find a good team to play than just settle for Longwood at this point. It’s one game, not five. And the only reason we can’t play Longwood is we already have too many unknown, bad teams on our schedule.

Last edited:
not saying it would be a good win. saying that on it's own it's an ok game. I'm fine with games in the 100-200 range. it's the 250+ games we should always avoid.

we have much worse games we already committed to this year.
I think Longwood would fall between 100-200 range. Absolutely correct - if we win, it will not be on our ESPN resume. Only will show up if we lose. And I agree - this game seems easy to schedule, so likely it would have already happened. SO I don't see it happening. Plus - Longwood has a pretty weak OOC schedule, so they may be the ones declining as they try to rack up wins.

Plus - Longwood has a pretty weak OOC schedule, so they may be the ones declining as they try to rack up wins.
I'm guessing it would be a buy game at UR. plus they beat us before.
I'm confident Longwood isn't turning down that offer, unless they're holding out for us to return a game.

Only reason I say they might be turning us down is because when you look at their schedule - they are playing no one. Their biggest games are Alabama, Mason, and then probably Southern Illinois.

They might be turning down the buy game offer like you said - and maybe want a 2-3 year deal, which I agree - is not something we should entertain.

But maybe we don't need a game. Its clear we are not adding a high profile game unless a miracle happens. So if that is the case, then maybe we just play 1 less game. Don't think 1 less game will keep us off the bubble at the end of the day.

I've gone back and forth on this (adding one more likely lower level game vs. leaving things as they are now). But I think I've settled on wanting to add a final game, even if it's a stinker, for these reasons:

- while our team is not really young in age or experience, they are young in game time as a group, another early season game against a team we should beat should be a good thing for the team

- if the worry is that potentially losing this game hurts our at large chances -- based on our OOC schedule we will probably be shooting for the auto bid anyway if we happen to have that successful of a season, in other words, I really don't think adding Longwood (or even a lower team) will be the reason we do or don't dance

- it is embarrassing to not fill out your full allotment of games, there is really no excuse for it

I did see that GW added a game today after already releasing their schedule (Maryland Eastern Shore).
so I guess it's possible we still add one.

I would love for us to pick up a game against a power conference team but at the end of the day I just want another game day to watch Spider basketball. We only get 30 something games a year and I don’t want to miss out on a game day, even if it is against a cupcake

Imagine if you prepaid for season tickets and the program releases the schedule with only two home OOC games?

Imagine if you prepaid for season tickets and the program releases the schedule with only two home OOC games?
Guessing that Lafayette doesn’t do prepaid season tickets. Also would think that the small market teams typically have less home OOC games as they need as many buy games as they can get to break even budget wise.

So, I haven't been on in a few days and then I see Longwood is our preferred candidate for our last OOC game. Yeah, if everything goes great a home game at Longwood could be a Quad 3 win for us. Whoop de effing do. More than likely, Longwood because they lost most of their core players from last year, plays in one of the crappiest leagues in the country, which will drag down even average teams rankings and will probably be a Quad 4 game. Hard pass. We already have enough crappy OOC games on the schedule, so first thing to do when you are in a hole is stop digging, instead the board is bringing an extra shovel.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
So, I haven't been on in a few days and then I see Longwood is our preferred candidate for our last OOC game. Yeah, if everything goes great a home game at Longwood could be a Quad 3 win for us. Whoop de effing do. More than likely, Longwood because they lost most of their core players from last year, plays in one of the crappiest leagues in the country, which will drag down even average teams rankings and will probably be a Quad 4 game. Hard pass. We already have enough crappy OOC games on the schedule, so first thing to do when you are in a hole is stop digging, instead the board is bringing an extra shovel.

I don't think it is preferred by anyone. More so resignation that we can't do any better, or likely worse.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
lol, not a preferred candidate.
I just found a couple teams that fit schedule-wise. one was Providence at the time (no longer). there aren't many that have openings that fit ours.
we're running out of teams to play. 250 have released their schedules. Longwood finished last year at 131 and is ranked (somwhere) at I think #104 this preseason. I have no idea if them finishing 104 is reasonable. but if that's anywhere close, it's not a bad game to add. playing even a top 200 team is better than sitting home watching tv some night in November.

a quick visit to their athletics page revealed that their season ticket prices are in line with the scarcity of home games:

Season Ticket Package$65 adult | $48 senior | $48 youth | $195 courtside

• Wow
Reactions: spiderman
Longwood might be the preferred opponent from a bunch of bad opponents. I have to imagine most P5 schedules are filled out. And if they are not filled out - I doubt anyone wants to play us - a team that is coming off the NCAA tourney, but have no idea if we will be any good. Power conference teams usually schedule light in OOC because they know when it comes to league games - they will get all the numbers you need. Unless your a top 25 team - there is little benefit for a middle to bottom P5 team scheduling tough in their OOC slate. They need to rack up wins in the OOC because they might not get too many when league play starts. And remember - they don't need a lot in these leagues to make it - sometimes your looking at a .500 team in the Big Ten, ACC, or SEC possibly making the tourney.

I'm just not excited about our schedule this year. One of the main reasons I didn't get season tickets. Concessions are beyond unbearable as well. I've got no problem watching a majority of the games from my couch

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I'm just not excited about our schedule this year. One of the main reasons I didn't get season tickets. Concessions are beyond unbearable as well. I've got no problem watching a majority of the games from my couch

Been quite a while now but I loved having season tix. but this ooc schedule definitely a tough slate for the season tix holder. & certainly not an OOC slate that will draw fans out after an NCAA year. Hopefully we get a boost coming off NCAA but I'm not sure we will. & only visiting team that will bring fans is VMI, but that is home opener where we normally give $5 tix and have pretty good attendance anyway. UNI and Drake are good mid major games to have, and Drake has potential to be very good, but neither will draw the casual fan.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Been quite a while now but I loved having season tix. but this ooc schedule definitely a tough slate for the season tix holder. & certainly not an OOC slate that will draw fans out after an NCAA year. Hopefully we get a boost coming off NCAA but I'm not sure we will. & only visiting team that will bring fans is VMI, but that is home opener where we normally give $5 tix and have pretty good attendance anyway. UNI and Drake are good mid major games to have, and Drake has potential to be very good, but neither will draw the casual fan.
I'm also not in love with the schedule but looking forward to the games for sure. Have to think crowds will be even better than last year when Robins was loud most of the time with the best student attendance I had seen in a long time ..

Hey, we filled up Capital One arena in DC. We should be able to fill the Robins Center. C'mon.
A lot of people will only show up when the team is winning or when we are playing for a title though.
We need more hardcore fans, the ones that will be there on a cold December night a few days after Christmas against a Coppin State.

I don’t think there are many casual fans who opt for season tickets. There are more fans of the team down the road that buy season tickets than casual fans that do in my opinion.

I would also be surprised if there is a bump in sales because of the NCAA birth, simply because the team is in rebuild mode. Would have to have much more hype on this year’s team to me.

I am hoping that the student section is filled like last year though. Always more entertaining when the students fill the building. That is the momentum that UR needs to carry over. They are the future season ticket holders after all.

I don’t think there are many casual fans who opt for season tickets. There are more fans of the team down the road that buy season tickets than casual fans that do in my opinion.

I would also be surprised if there is a bump in sales because of the NCAA birth, simply because the team is in rebuild mode. Would have to have much more hype on this year’s team to me.

I am hoping that the student section is filled like last year though. Always more entertaining when the students fill the building. That is the momentum that UR needs to carry over. They are the future season ticket holders after all.

Agree with u. Season tix r primarily for the diehards. I meant it's not a great OOC schedule for even the season tix holders. And then separately, it's not a great schedule to get the casual fans to buy single game tix. I'm skeptical of any NCAA bump, but one can hope it's there. If we start out winning then maybe it becomes more of a factor. I'd love to see great attendance regardless it can only help us, but especially with this schedule the winning part will be the key.

Our OOC schedule stinks but I highly doubt this as any effect on season ticket sales. Unless we are getting like UNC, UVA or some other really big name school to come to the RC (which that isn't happening anymore), that would be the only thing that might move the needle with season ticket sales.

I do find it sad that we don't have one team on our OOC schedule that projects to be a Top 25 team, that is a huge miss. That type of game would be a sure fire ESPN game would get our name splashed across media if we win.

I guess we have to hope that Syracuse or Clemson are better versions of themselves than they have been recently this year for us to have a really signature win this year.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT