ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Opponent Thread

I only said closer to bubble which is true. Moot point now but they were not a lock. Their OOC sos is 225. By nature of B10 they are going to get some quad 1 wins. But had been trending down too as mentioned above. Are there many other games we care more about? yes of course but if u were rooting against ILL that's weird.

I hear you, G. I was just looking at them as a legit 8 seed and there are about 20 teams I would rather lose than them, but, yes, of course I still wanted them to lose.

Auburn @ Georgia
Alabama home vs Texas A&M
BC @ UVA (big implications for us)
McNeese @ Incarnate Word (must see TV)
GW @ Duquesne
Fordham @ La Salle

I realize this is an opponents thread but there are others that matter more. obviously those first two - & we now want Bama to lose. But these are big...

Fuman at ETSU - Go Paladins, they have a good team too far off bubble unlike ETSU
Providence at Georgetown - Go Friars
Duke at NC State - go dookies
Indiana at Minnesota - go gophers, both bubble but MN is better result imo

You got Utah State playing too but they are a 20 pt favorite no way they're losing

I realize this is an opponents thread but there are others that matter more. obviously those first two - & we now want Bama to lose. But these are big...

Fuman at ETSU - Go Paladins, they have a good team too far off bubble unlike ETSU
Providence at Georgetown - Go Friars
Duke at NC State - go dookies
Indiana at Minnesota - go gophers, both bubble but MN is better result imo

You got Utah State playing too but they are a 20 pt favorite no way they're losing
C'mon G, take it to the bubble or bracketology threads. ;) Bringing up Illinois in here, my mistake.
Your assessments are right on, BTW. Weird to root against Alabama, but that's where we are now. I don't think Oats is going to let them flop against the second-worst team in the SEC at home.

Reactions: GKiller
C'mon G, take it to the bubble or bracketology threads. ;) Bringing up Illinois in here, my mistake.
Your assessments are right on, BTW. Weird to root against Alabama, but that's where we are now. I don't think Oats is going to let them flop against the second-worst team in the SEC at home.

Spider B brought up Ark before u brought up Illinois, you're safe. Think I like this more established thread anyway.

Re: Illinois - They are a perfect example of a team that I think should be penalized for their OOC scheduling. They played absolutely no one and have 9 losses already, only played 1 Quad 1 game OOC (and lost), 1 Quad 2 game OOC (and lost), and 2 Quad 3 games OOC (went 1-1). They scheduled extremely weak and only went 1-3 in quads 1 through 3 in the OOC. I get that they have several good wins in conference, but that is inevitable for a decent team in a P5 conference. I think there are other teams in the Big10 that are further down on the bubble that should get in over Illinois.

Re: Illinois - They are a perfect example of a team that I think should be penalized for their OOC scheduling. They played absolutely no one and have 9 losses already, only played 1 Quad 1 game OOC (and lost), 1 Quad 2 game OOC (and lost), and 2 Quad 3 games OOC (went 1-1). They scheduled extremely weak and only went 1-3 in quads 1 through 3 in the OOC. I get that they have several good wins in conference, but that is inevitable for a decent team in a P5 conference. I think there are other teams in the Big10 that are further down on the bubble that should get in over Illinois.

Wow, your right. Their OOC schedule is terrible. They are 9-6 in the Big 10 though which is by far the deepest and most talented league in the country though.

I'm a fan of the Big 10 but they have unintentionally hit the jackpot with the NET this year with so many of their teams being Quad 1 teams. Every game in the conference outside Nebraska and Northwestern is a resume building opportunity.

Wow, your right. Their OOC schedule is terrible. They are 9-6 in the Big 10 though which is by far the deepest and most talented league in the country though.

I'm a fan of the Big 10 but they have unintentionally hit the jackpot with the NET this year with so many of their teams being Quad 1 teams. Every game in the conference outside Nebraska and Northwestern is a resume building opportunity.

Yeah but had they lost to PSU they'd be 8-7. That is why it was so strange Chop and I were being criticized fro caring about that game. They were far from a lock with a loss there, and ripe to fall imo. Frankly we need a team in that 8-9 range to fall back, and that definitely happens with this much time left in season.

No one mentioned Duquesne...

I guess it helps with double bye odds which is good but Davidson especially and now Duq losing to bottom A10 teams is not doing us any favors. Wanted them as strong as possible for a win against them.

Since this is Opponent thread...Auburn lost to Georgia

That is why it was so strange Chop and I were being criticized fro caring about that game.
Considering the source, not that strange.

Unless both teams are "locks" or "no chance at a bid," it matters.
Always root for the team further from the bubble. It's not that hard.

After watching Potter's return at PG for GW the last two games, I'm not so sure they a joke anymore...

While we should be favored the last 5 games, none seem to be an easy out.

anyone have the odds on us winning out in the regular season?
Just to throw this out there, here are Torvik's odds of winning in the last five:

Bona: 59%
GW: 79%
UMass: 91%
Davidson: 75%
Duquesne: 52%

So he favors us in all of them, but it still only adds up to a 16.5% chance of actually winning all of them.

http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Richmond

Just to throw this out there, here are Torvik's odds of winning in the last five:

So he favors us in all of them, but it still only adds up to a 16.5% chance of actually winning all of them.

Doing the same math at Massey, it comes out to 15%. He projects our opponents' scores too high, IMO. We haven't allowed 60 since our last loss, and he has them all in the mid-60s.

I think Pomeroy is a little more pessimistic.
Bona: 56% 70-68
GW: 75% 72-65
UMass: 89% 78-64
Davidson: 68% 73-68
Duquesne: 52% 70-69

13.2%

Reactions: UR80sfan
One game at a time!

If we take care of Bona, we'd then almost double to a ~28% chance of winning out the rest (not accounting for any changes in everybody's ratings as things play out of course).

Reactions: urfan1
This season we have a very good chance at getting a double-bye in the a10 tourny and here is what I think we should hope for the rest of the season.

This is what I think we should hope for if we run the table the rest of the season.

Rhode Island goes undefeated except for a loss to Dayton which gives us the 2 seed but also keeps our win at Rhode island looking really good.

In terms of the lower half, I think we would want VCU to end up with the 7 seed because I feel like we could crush them. Who I don't want to play is Saint Louis or Davidson. We have a terrible match up with SLU and Davidson just has the ability to get hot and drop 90 points against us. I still don't really know what to think about with Duquesne. They have some very impressive wins and was very competitive with Dayton but I will hold my judgement until I see them play us.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
RPI has crept up a few spots already today, up to 26. Helpful result with Hampton upsetting Winthrop on the road. That also gives Radford a temporary half-game lead over Winthrop in the Big South race.

Only other direct SOS impact so far is that Auburn won. South Alabama in a dogfight with Coastal with time running down...not sure they'll be able to pull it out.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I think Pomeroy is a little more pessimistic.
Bona: 56% 70-68
GW: 75% 72-65
UMass: 89% 78-64
Davidson: 68% 73-68
Duquesne: 52% 70-69

13.2%
Most teams on the bubble are not going to win all their remaining games. We should be OK with one loss.

Opponent Tracker: 2/27/2020

Delaware vs Charleston
Wisconsin vs #19 Michigan
Radford vs Hampton
Mt. St. Mary's vs St. Francis (PA)

Would be nice if Wisconsin could head into Ann Arbor and take down Michigan. Delaware vs Charleston is also going to be a good game. The Blue Hens are 20-9 (10-6 CAA). Charleston is favored by -4.0 though.

We want Arizona to beat USC and Santa Clara to beat St. Mary's. And Temple to beat Wichita.

Last edited:
Temple completely crapped out in the last couple minutes and blew that game against Wichita. Would have been a huge win for us. Damn.

Serious question.... why is this good for us since Wisconsin is already a Quad 1 win? Does it somehow help our NET?

Wisconsin is now tied for 2nd in the Big Ten. We want them to keep winning because beating the 2nd or even 3rd place team in the Big Ten sounds a whole lot better than beating the 6th or 7th. And, it could be helpful if our best win is better than some bubble teams' best wins.

Davidson increases their chance at beating us by 2% by losing by 15 to Dayton?
Well, alrighty then...

or I’m I misremembering yesterday’s prediction?

Did I read the box score correctly? Dayton was 27-28 from 2 tonight? Wow!

Quad 1 and 2 are split into subsections (A and B). You can see this in the official team sheets released daily by the NCAA https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Team Sheets - Feb 27, 2020.pdf. Quad 1A includes wins against top 25 teams on a neutral court. We want Wisconsin to be top 25 in the NET.
Ok. That would be helpful. I hope we get all the help we can but in a system where virtually every P6 game is a quad 1 or 2 I truly dont see us having a chance unless we win out and make finals and even then its no certainty.
Too bad we arent in the PAC12 where a win at 3-12 Washington would be a Quad 1. Or in the BE where a win at 2-14 Depaul is a Quad 1. This sysrem is an absolute disgrace.

Last edited:

Hope everything works out for him, whatever the issue.

VCU is running out of players.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT