ADVERTISEMENT

2017–18 Schedule

Ulla - so hopefully your Maryland home is on the market? Know you have been looking forward to living closer to alma mater for a few years now......................
fan, papers are in to retire from current position Sep 30. Look so forward to being close by. Hope all is well with your better half. Best regards.

I think G'town is smart playing us at RC this year. Having the Spiders in DC next year (18/19) should make that, what I hope is, a very difficult game for them but they'll get it at home.

Not to sound like some of the naysayer critics of the RTD and its bias for VCU, but isn't it ironic that the UVA and VT basketball schedules were published today and the lead on the article was about the telecast of the VCU game with UVA?

Not to sound like some of the naysayer critics of the RTD and its bias for VCU, but isn't it ironic that the UVA and VT basketball schedules were published today and the lead on the article was about the telecast of the VCU game with UVA?
The RTD, whats that? (obviously kidding, I canceled my subscription ages ago for this a number of other reasons.)

Reactions: SpiderK
Congratulations to Mr. Walsh and the basketball staff. Good schedule for young team.

by the way, did you guys see the rest of the Georgetown schedule? out of conference, Georgetown plays ONE road game (UR) and ONE high major game (Syracuse). they host 7 teams ranked 320 or worse by KenPom. their OOC opponents went 116-230 against D1 comp last year.

no idea how we got this game. maybe Ewing got an advanced look at the projected top 144 and figured why not. this Georgetown OOC schedule makes the typical VT, Syracuse and Rutgers out of conference schedules look almost decent.

Marcus Jenkins deserves full credit for the basketball schedule. Probably the worse task in the department. I feel he has given us the toughest non conference schedule ever. Take a good look at it and I think you will agree. Example- Bucknell and Vermont will be very good.

by the way, did you guys see the rest of the Georgetown schedule? out of conference, Georgetown plays ONE road game (UR) and ONE high major game (Syracuse). they host 7 teams ranked 320 or worse by KenPom. their OOC opponents went 116-230 against D1 comp last year.

no idea how we got this game. maybe Ewing got an advanced look at the projected top 144 and figured why not. this Georgetown OOC schedule makes the typical VT, Syracuse and Rutgers out of conference schedules look almost decent.

One reporter said it's the 2nd worst OOC schedule for a P6 school in the KenPom era:

I don't blame GT for their really easy schedule, they have a brand new coach and won't be that good this year. They just want to get some wins and they aren't worried about making any tournaments.

I love that we get G-Town in a home and home and hope we can continue it, but getting them this year might actually hurt our RPI. They wont be very good (at least not in conference) and their OOC will not only hurt their RPI but will hurt ours too!

I love that we get G-Town in a home and home and hope we can continue it, but getting them this year might actually hurt our RPI. They wont be very good (at least not in conference) and their OOC will not only hurt their RPI but will hurt ours too!
true, but we'll take it. never pass up an opportunity to play a name like Georgetown.

Reactions: urfan1
Marcus Jenkins deserves full credit for the basketball schedule. Probably the worse task in the department. I feel he has given us the toughest non conference schedule ever. Take a good look at it and I think you will agree. Example- Bucknell and Vermont will be very good.

It's a nice schedule, but slow the role on the best ever. In 2010 we played Miss. St, Missouri, ODU, VCU, South Carolina, Florida, in our OOC schedule in a row. Also played Wake a few games later. This schedule does not match up to that.

Our BCS opponents this year include Georgetown and BC, which unfortunately will probably both be at the bottom of their respective conference. Vermont and Bucknell play in low mid major leagues, so while we are expecting them to be good, just a couple league losses is going to really put a dent in their profiles.

Wake could be a good game for us and obviously the Cancun tournament is the make or break on this schedule. If we get Cincinnatti and Iowa down there, well then yes, our schedule is going to look really good. Likewise if we draw Buffalo and SD. State than this schedule isn't looking too good.

I'm not sure about that. I think you opponent's record effects your RPI more than who they play. So your opponent having easy wins may not be totally bad for your RPI.

So I finally had a chance to check out the schedule. I would certainly call this one of the more interesting schedules we have ever had. Often the non-conference portions of the schedule have an abundance of games that appear to be either clear wins or clear losses (barring unforeseen things either way) and a few "swing" games. Ours have really kind of followed that path and we usually have more clear wins than losses built in. To be good out of conference you need to win those swing games, hold serve on the "wins" and maybe turn a loss on paper into a win on the court. Last year we did sorta the opposite. Didn't do well in swings and turned some paper wins into on court losses.

This years OOC schedule has a lot of swing games. First two games look to be clear wins and I'll put JMU @ Robins in that category too, but Jville St. won their league and JMU beat us, so even those games might be "swingish". Wake on the road looks like a loss, but again, this is a bit swingish as well - - they aren't exactly Duke. But I count all the rest as swing games. UAB at neutral is a big swing game as a win there likely means Cincy next and a very solid third game as well, while a loss is not only a loss, but will likely get us two lesser games to follow up. UAB, ODU and BC on road/neutral and GT, Vermont, Bucknell at home is really good balance. We have a good shot at stealing any of those road games and a decent shot to sweep the home swing games. But we could also get swept on the road and lose one (or more) at home. I see a pretty wide range of possibilities for our OOC record. Win the "wins", go 2-1 in Caymans, sweep home swings and steal one road swing and we'd be 9-3 (and I don't think that's necessarily the total upside) . Drop a "win" (happened more than once last year!) , go 1-2 in Caymans (which could easily happen even if we beat UAB), get swept in road swings and drop a home swing and we'd be 5-7 (and I don't think that's the absolute bottom it could be either).

My fear is learning to play without TJ and SDJ early. Its not just their scoring etc. its that the ball was in their hands an awful lot last year so everyone will be making huge adjustments to playing differently. Young teams in transition are also often decent at home but struggle on the road. I'll give us the "should be wins" in the RC, say we'll go 1-2 at Caymans, drop the road swings and go either 2-1 in the home swings which would put us right at 6-6 OOC.

Top five mid majors to watch includes Oakland, a team we beat last year in the NIT, and Bucknell, a team on our schedule again this year.

The weekday noon game is early this year. JSU 11/13
A few 4:30 Sat games it seems...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT