ADVERTISEMENT

2017–18 Schedule

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
With dates starting to trickle out, I'm going to be bold and start a new thread for a couple of reasons, one of which is that I can regularly update this first post with the latest info. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

Sep 6: Official schedule is out!

http://richmondspiders.com/news/2017/9/6/spiders-announce-2017-18-mens-basketball-schedule.aspx

Fri. 11/10 Delaware
Mon. 11/13 Jacksonville State - Cayman Prelim
Mon. 11/20 vs. UAB - Cayman Classic
Tue. 11/21 vs. Cincinnati or Buffalo - Cayman Classic
Wed. 11/22 vs. Iowa, Louisiana, Wyoming, or South Dakota State - Cayman Classic
Sat. 11/25 Georgetown
Wed. 11/29 Vermont
Sat. 12/2 @ Wake Forest
Wed. 12/6 @ ODU
Sat. 12/9 JMU
Tue. 12/19 Bucknell
Sat. 12/23 @ Boston College

Sat. 12/30 Davidson
Wed. 1/3 @ Fordham
Sat. 1/6 @ Saint Louis
Tue. 1/9 Dayton
Sat. 1/13 GW
Wed. 1/17 @ VCU
Sat. 1/20 @ La Salle
Wed. 1/24 @ Duquesne
Sun. 1/28 @ Davidson
Sat. 2/3 GMU
Wed. 2/7 VCU
Sat. 2/10 @ Bona
Tue. 2/13 @ Rhode Island
Sat. 2/17 Saint Louis
Wed. 2/21 @ GW
Sat. 2/24 Saint Joseph's
Wed. 2/28 UMass
Sat. 3/3 @ GMU

Last edited:
Thanks SF. I'm confident that many of us are very interested in the upcoming schedule. However, if there is not much news, you may need to "bump" this thread from time to time, to make sure it does not get lost...

Reactions: gcarter52
With dates starting to trickle out, I'm going to be bold and start a new thread for a couple of reasons, one of which is that I can regularly update this first post with the latest info. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

11/10? Delaware
11/20 vs. UAB - Cayman Classic (Schedule/bracket)
11/21 vs. Cincinnati or Buffalo - Cayman Classic
11/22 vs. Iowa, Louisiana, Wyoming, or South Dakota State - Cayman Classic
12/2 @ Wake Forest (Press release)
12/6 @ ODU (Press release)

Home:
Cayman prelim game
Bucknell
JMU
Vermont

Away:
Boston College

Two additional games allowed
Good idea, hope we get those other two games.

Seems a few of the other A-10 OOC schedules are starting to trickle out...

So probably six weeks until ours comes out..

VCU has one road game at Seton Hall and a trip to Maui.

So probably six weeks until ours comes out..

VCU has one road game at Seton Hall and a trip to Maui.

Hate to talk about VCU, but their schedule is pretty interesting in light of the recent changes in home/away game emphasis. Texas, ODU and Bucknell are all potentially 70-100 RPI teams, meaning they might not count as top 100 games for VCU. They do have 3 to 4 solid games with UVA at home and the Maui tournament.

Reactions: Ram Bal
Hate to talk about VCU, but their schedule is pretty interesting in light of the recent changes in home/away game emphasis. Texas, ODU and Bucknell are all potentially 70-100 RPI teams, meaning they might not count as top 100 games for VCU. They do have 3 to 4 solid games with UVA at home and the Maui tournament.
Thanks for the vcu update. o_O

Reactions: SpiderK
Thanks for the vcu update. o_O

I think it's a fair argument. They seem to schedule well, and bring quality opponents to their home arena, which gets their fans and casual fans excited. Our scheduling may seem good to us, but it doesn't "WOW" the casual fan. Even ODU doesn't draw the casual fan or even ODU fans to the Robins Center anymore. Why can't we have a 2 for 1 or even a 3 for 1 with UVA or Tech? k

I think it's a fair argument. They seem to schedule well, and bring quality opponents to their home arena, which gets their fans and casual fans excited. Our scheduling may seem good to us, but it doesn't "WOW" the casual fan. Even ODU doesn't draw the casual fan or even ODU fans to the Robins Center anymore. Why can't we have a 2 for 1 or even a 3 for 1 with UVA or Tech? k
Mostly because we don't buy many games. VCU has a lot of tournament shares to buy home games with, we don't. Sort of chicken and egg.

When does the committee start to consider the changes, this year or next?

I can promise you that Tech will not play UR.

No reason for a decent team to play us on the road with us being out of the top 50 most years in the recent past.

No reason for a decent team to play us on the road with us being out of the top 50 most years in the recent past.

The new selection committee guidelines make us a pretty good team to play on the road. We have been a top 100 road team under the new guidelines every year this past decade. Under the new guidelines we have been a top 50 team on the road, or 1 or 2 spots away, in 5 of the past 10 years.

Reactions: ur2K
The new selection committee guidelines make us a pretty good team to play on the road. We have been a top 100 road team under the new guidelines every year this past decade. Under the new guidelines we have been a top 50 team on the road, or 1 or 2 spots away, in 5 of the past 10 years.

Package that up into a PowerPoint deck for our coaching staff to help with scheduling for next year. Send some restaurant/brewery recommendations for visiting SIDs as well.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
We played Tech in basketball earlier in the 2000s. As I recall we lost to them out there one year, then beat them handily in the cRC the next. Then Greenberg cancelled what was left of the series.

We played Tech in basketball earlier in the 2000s. As I recall we lost to them out there one year, then beat them handily in the cRC the next. Then Greenberg cancelled what was left of the series.
I thought he cancelled all future non P5 series against anyone with a RPI better than 200?

Reactions: Ram Bal
Greenberg is an idiot. Every year he would schedule cupcakes for OOC games and then cry like a baby when he didn't get into the NCAA'a. Every year was like groundhog day for Tech basketball!

The conversation here seems to be the same year after year. I don't think our schedule is all that bad. We are in a major tournament every year. Last year we had Wake Forest and Texas Tech at home. As for playing UVA and VPI, we are a disadvantage being a private school. Public schools like VCU and Old Dominion, can sometimes schedule them, because the same legislators are funding all of them, and they can pressure state schools to play one another.

Greenberg is an idiot. Every year he would schedule cupcakes for OOC games and then cry like a baby when he didn't get into the NCAA'a. Every year was like groundhog day for Tech basketball!

So true. It was fun to watch Tech fans get their hopes up for a bid only to be shut out. Greenberg was the perfect coach for that fanbase.

Reactions: MooreHall73
Playing Hokies or Hoos with anything other than home and home series isn't worth it. Last game at Hoos - JPJ - was CBI and the refs decided the Hoos should win. Yes when we beat the Hokies the last time we played at Robins was the "joy" of seeing their most overhyped player air ball a free throw and the game being a Spider win. That sealed the end of Hokies playing us in basketball and resulted in Greenberg "crying" about how losses to us and ODU hurt their chances of being in the dance. Don't remember his exact description of our program but do remember it was derogatory.

If I were planning our schedule for future years, I might try to lock-in 1 vs 2 home and away series with teams like UVA and Tech, (and definitely Wake, and/or Florida) for a few reasons.

First, we will be better than they expect us to be, and could win most of those away games that they expect to win. Second, if we do win some of those away games, we now get very nice credit for it by the NCAA committee.

If we wait until the other teams figure out that we could be very good, and that they could lose to us while playing in their own facility, they may be more reluctant to sign on. I would try to lock-in as many of these series as possible, against P-5 conference teams, before this November, after which they will know more about what they will be facing. Let them believe that they will win home games against us, and then surprise them with "bitter-pill" losses....

VCU probably schedules (and then executes on the court) as well as any non-P6 in the country. We've garnered 5 at-larges in the last 7 years (the other 2 yrs we earned auto bids which would've likely been at-larges had we lost in the conf final). That's essentially 7 consecutive at-large profile seasons for a non-P6, unheard of and unprecedented (considering the scarcity of non-P6 at-larges awarded each yr). Tops in the country. (forget the Zags and Shockers - they usually auto-bid it and have been saved a few times by the auto bid; Bearcats were in the Big East until recently).

This yr is no different................UVA, Texas, Marquette, Wichita or Cal, Bucknell, Winthrop, Seton Hall, maybe Mich or ND. A testament to consistently high RPIs, winning, dancing, fan support/travel, competitiveness against the big boys, attractive playing style, ambitious coaching staff/administration, a perennial Top 40 program, etc. We have a national profile and thus a national schedule.

VCU probably schedules (and then executes on the court) as well as any non-P6 in the country. We've garnered 5 at-larges in the last 7 years (the other 2 yrs we earned auto bids which would've likely been at-larges had we lost in the conf final). That's essentially 7 consecutive at-large profile seasons for a non-P6, unheard of and unprecedented (considering the scarcity of non-P6 at-larges awarded each yr). Tops in the country. (forget the Zags and Shockers - they usually auto-bid it and have been saved a few times by the auto bid; Bearcats were in the Big East until recently).

This yr is no different................UVA, Texas, Marquette, Wichita or Cal, Bucknell, Winthrop, Seton Hall, maybe Mich or ND. A testament to consistently high RPIs, winning, dancing, fan support/travel, competitiveness against the big boys, attractive playing style, ambitious coaching staff/administration, a perennial Top 40 program, etc. We have a national profile and thus a national schedule.
Caa guy, here's another integral part of your "national profile".

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/...cle_c3ae9b2f-f80b-5a5a-a738-9aa9e6cc0950.html

Reactions: SpiderK

I've said it before and I'll say it again. vcu is without a doubt a top 10 national program. By far the best team in the state and they have a national brand like Kentucky or UNC. Y'all will probably win like 15 national titles in a row. Also the Siegel center is right up there with Allen field house as the toughest place to play. It's probably tougher than Allen with all that fake crowd noise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. vcu is without a doubt a top 10 national program. By far the best team in the state and they have a national brand like Kentucky or UNC. Y'all will probably win like 15 national titles in a row. Also the Siegel center is right up there with Allen field house as the toughest place to play. It's probably tougher than Allen with all that fake crowd noise.
To be fair...I think the low ceilings and Costcoish appearance comes in to play as far as increasing the crowd noise naturally

Edit: I'm also a fan of Hokie basketball. How excited are you for this season? I'm going to try to make it to a few games this year. Unfortunately I wasn't able to last season.

To be fair...I think the low ceilings and Costcoish appearance comes in to play as far as increasing the crowd noise naturally

Edit: I'm also a fan of Hokie basketball. How excited are you for this season? I'm going to try to make it to a few games this year. Unfortunately I wasn't able to last season.
I'm pretty excited for it. Obviously football is on my mind now but it's pretty cool knowing that we have something to look forward to after football season. We lost Seth Allen and Zach Leday which will be big losses but Chris Clarke is a stud. We also have an outstanding group of guards returning. We were the best 3 point shooting team in the ACC last season, we just need a big man to step up. Should be another NCAA tournament berth. Would love to see us play vcu because it'd be a beat down.

We've garnered 5 at-larges in the last 7 years (the other 2 yrs we earned auto bids which would've likely been at-larges had we lost in the conf final).

And here is your school's cemented image of your fan support/travel and 'national profile'

PavStory-Inside2.jpg

CAAguy, look we all get it. Thanks for coming on here and telling us about what VCU has done over the past seven years because quite frankly, I had no idea. Really, no clue. You sound like our President who has to say 'believe me' every five minutes. I've honestly struggled to figure out that winning actually helps out the program. I also had zero clue that VCU has made the tournament the last seven years. I appreciate you letting us know, again since the last time someone else from VCU told us.

So I'll bite CAAguy and stroke your ego. Wow! VCU has been winning in recent years? You've been to the tournament recently? Wow!! That is awesome CAAguy! Because I had no clue that this was the case at all. Really, I didn't know that if you have a successful streak over a period of time, that it translates into some good scheduling opportunities. Thank you, CAAguy! Believe me! Phew, I've struggled for so long to figure out why the Spiders not making the tournament for several years hasn't translated into success in other areas of the program.

CAAguy, when you have a moment can you learn me the correlation between all the winning VCU is doing and the ability to attract higher level recruits? I don't understand how that works. When you respond please be sure to talk about all the winning you've done, because I haven't heard.

Finally, I need help in understanding the relationship between all the winning and attendance at home games. Hoping you can school us on that as well! Please be sure to mention the consecutive home sell out streak. Because I haven't heard about that, ever. Believe me.

First of all, you can't discount the Zags or Wichita State in the discussion of non-P6 programs that have elevated their programs to be equal to or better than many of their P6 counterparts. Zags have been to the NCAA's 18 consecutive years, all of them under Mark Few. Shockers under Gregg Marshall have a winning percentage of .744 which is better than VCU under Smart and Wade.

Admittedly, the Lambs have had a good run over the past several years, despite their revolving door coaching situation. The administration is clearly behind the program, and they have a big war chest of taxpayer dollars, donor money, and student activity fees to throw at things like practice facilities and buying games with higher profile programs.

The next few seasons under Mike Rhoades will be the proof in the pudding as to whether or not the Lambs can continue to imagine themselves being on the the same level as Gonzaga or Wichita State.

I am going to take fat boys horns the next time we beat vcu, granted that might be a while. When I steal them I will either paint them red and blue and right the score on them or I will just burn them in my backyard. Either way I'm sure the stench that probably resides in that hat will be unbearable so maybe just burning it will be the better call.

First of all, you can't discount the Zags or Wichita State in the discussion of non-P6 programs that have elevated their programs to be equal to or better than many of their P6 counterparts. Zags have been to the NCAA's 18 consecutive years, all of them under Mark Few. Shockers under Gregg Marshall have a winning percentage of .744 which is better than VCU under Smart and Wade.

Admittedly, the Lambs have had a good run over the past several years, despite their revolving door coaching situation. The administration is clearly behind the program, and they have a big war chest of taxpayer dollars, donor money, and student activity fees to throw at things like practice facilities and buying games with higher profile programs.

The next few seasons under Mike Rhoades will be the proof in the pudding as to whether or not the Lambs can continue to imagine themselves being on the the same level as Gonzaga or Wichita State.
They're beyond Wichita and gonzaga. They are at the level of Kansas, Kentucky and UNC. Cmon man you know better than to compare them to Wichita and gonzaga.

I'm pretty excited for it. Obviously football is on my mind now but it's pretty cool knowing that we have something to look forward to after football season. We lost Seth Allen and Zach Leday which will be big losses but Chris Clarke is a stud. We also have an outstanding group of guards returning. We were the best 3 point shooting team in the ACC last season, we just need a big man to step up. Should be another NCAA tournament berth. Would love to see us play vcu because it'd be a beat down.
Hopefully VCU will make it to the tourney for that chance haha. I managed to get tickets to the VT WVU game up in DC.

Hopefully VCU will make it to the tourney for that chance haha. I managed to get tickets to the VT WVU game up in DC.
Ya I'll be at that game too. Should be an awesome time. My fraternity is having a joint tailgate with the wvu chapter before. Wvu is gonna have a good team, should be a tough test for us.

someone clean this crap up. take the VT and VCUs post off topic, off the 2017/18 Schedule thread and off the UR basketball board. what a waste of time.

Reactions: Hanca and Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT