ADVERTISEMENT

2017–18 Schedule

So a team can have the same RPI beating teams 180+ as they would beating top 20 teams? Isn't RPI both wins/losses and SOS? Having a strong SOS in ACC - even if BC lost all its games - would be sufficient for a top 150 RPI as long as they don't lose to really bad teams?

Yes, RPI is really stupid. There are 3 components, 25% is your record, 50% is the record of your opponents, and 25% is the record of your opponent's opponents.

As you can see, 75% of your RPI does not depend on your performance at all, only on your schedule. The 25% that depends on your performance only counts your wins and losses, it doesn't care who they come against.

BC lost against Fairfield, Nicholls St., Hartford, UNC, Louisville and UVA last season (and a bunch of other teams too). If they had won against the first three and still lost against the second three they would have the exact same RPI as if they had won against the second three and lost to the first three even though it is much more difficult to beat UNC, UVA and Louisville than the cupcakes.

Reactions: spiderstudent17
The way the RPI works it doesn't matter who your wins are against. If they had won against Nicholls St. (253), Hartford (327) and Fairfield (180) in the OOC last year they would have had the same RPI as if they beat UNC (5), UVA (18) and Louisville (7). We just need them to not lose to those 200+ and 300+ teams in the OOC, the SOS boost from playing in the ACC should keep their RPI top 200 if they can beat the cupcakes.
So formulaically this is correct, but the committee at least in part has used rpi to elevate or deflate a team's performance by individually looking at teams you beat in the top 25/50/200 and those you lose to below 100/200. So it still matters somewhere until they fully jettison rpi.

So a team can have the same RPI beating teams 180+ as they would beating top 20 teams? Isn't RPI both wins/losses and SOS? Having a strong SOS in ACC - even if BC lost all its games - would be sufficient for a top 150 RPI as long as they don't lose to really bad teams?
The way I have always explained it is...
If home and home with Duke and Savannah St is your entire schedule and you win 1 home game and 1 away game, then your RPI will be the same no matter which team you beat for those two wins.

From what I can tell the 4 prelim teams for Cayman are Chattanoga, Alabama st., Jax st & Savannah st. We knew we'd get a low rpi team as prelim but chatty would have been a steal to get slotted w them & I wouldn't put them in the low rpi category. Unfortunately they have 2 games scheduled already w other main Cayman teams. So does Alabama st. I'm not completely certain but I believe we'll host Jax st or Savannah st. My money is on Savannah.

Looks like you got it right:

- Iowa and South Dakota State have Alabama State
- Wyoming and UAB have Chattanooga
- Louisiana has Savannah State
- Buffalo has Jacksonville State

So Cincinnati and us are the two unknowns at this point.

Edit: Actually, Alabama State is also playing Cincinnati. It’s not in the week before Cayman though, so I’m not 100% sure it’s part of the tournament.

http://bamastatesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Edit 2: Alabama State’s press release indicates that not only are Iowa, SoDakSt, and two games in Chatty part of Cayman, but also a game at Oregon. That can’t be right.

http://bamastatesports.com/news/2017/8/30/alabama-state-releases-mens-basketball-schedule.aspx

Last edited:
We get Jacksonville St. I guessed wrong between the 2. Jax St released their schedule. Game is 11/13.

Jax St won OVC last year and was in NCAA. Not sure their prospects but next to Chattanooga is almost certainly the next best team of the 4 to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Yeah, they were solid last year...20-win season, 150 RPI and got past Belmont to win the OVC for their first ever NCAA bid. They'd been bad in previous seasons, but got a new coach who turned things around in a hurry. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

Lots of turnover for them this season...lost a bunch of players and are bringing in 5 JUCOs, four of which started their careers at D-I schools.

Hard to predict them to finish ahead of Belmont, but could still be decent.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14854

I hope a few basketball games don't completely offset the Football payment we were owed? and I couldn't tell from the article is the 2019 football game still on?
JOC said the hoops series was "part" of the settlement. What the rest of it is, I have no idea.

The article also makes mention of the 2019 game. I haven't seen any word of that one being canceled.

Why does the article say that the Spiders are looking for another home game? With the third Cayman tournament game (wasn't listed in schedule) Spiders will play 13 OOC. Isn't that the limit?

Georgetown was a nice surprise. No real world beaters on the schedule this year, but I'd say it's one of our better ones in a while. Nice work

Reactions: urfan1
Why does the article say that the Spiders are looking for another home game? With the third Cayman tournament game (wasn't listed in schedule) Spiders will play 13 OOC. Isn't that the limit?
We only have 12 OOC...all Cayman games are in the schedule.

Ewing taking Hoyas out of PK80 tourney.Opening for UR v GU?

Georgetown drops out of loaded PK80 tournament

Travis Hines
NBC Sports•Aug 2, 2017, 1:44 PM
a2a2d1a57073ef705d16dc78bb09456f

Georgetown is very excited about the new direction of its basketball program under coach Patrick Ewing, an NBA Hall of Famer, Dream Teamer and Hoya legend. They’re just not really interested in putting them on a huge stage just yet, apparently.

The Hoyas dropped out of the field of the PK80, the star-studded November tournament in honor of Nike founder Phil Knight’s 80th birthday, on Tuesday.

“The Georgetown’s men’s basketball program is in the midst of an exciting time of rebuilding,” athletic director Lee Reed said in a statement released by the school. “Georgetown has a prominent, seasoned head coach who has begun this process, which will continue to develop in the fall. After considerable consultation with ESPN, we have reached a mutual agreement that Georgetown will not participate in the PK80 Phil Knight Invitational this November.

“The University values its longstanding partnership with ESPN and looks forward to participating in future events. We appreciate the understanding of the fans and organizations associated with this event and wish success to all involved.”

That looks a lot like the Hoyas ducking a tough – probably historic – tournament. The question would be why? The most logical answer is they’d rather face a few opponents where winning seems more likely than squaring off against the likes of Michigan State, Oregon or North Carolina. If that’s the case, that’s a bad look for the Hoyas. Even more so that DePaul, which hasn’t had a winning season since 2007, slid into their place in the field. What the Blue Demons would look to understand more than Georgetown is that being part of this field – and being associated with the game’s most powerful programs and sports’ most influential apparel company – is more important than how you actually perform in it.

Ewing is tasked with rebuilding Georgetown into a national power. The Hoyas pulling out of the PK80 is just a reminder of how far they have to go to return to their glory days. Ceding their place among the game’s greats is bad move for Georgetown, even more so if it comes from a place of fear of their ability to compete.

When Georgetown fans yearned for a return of ‘Hoya Paranoia,’ this can’t be what they had in mind.

ba75ae17654b4c701827fac022a4d0fc

Thought that we would land Hoyas game back on August 3rd even though I don't know nothing about basketball.

If we are in the 1st round of football playoffs and host that game this would be a doubleheader-Saturday immediately after Thanksgiving.

By my count this is our schedule, 12 games:

11/10 Delaware
11/13 Jacksonville State*
11/20 UAB*
11/21 Cincinnati/Buffalo*
11/22 Last Cayman Game*
11/25 Georgetown
11/29 Vermont
12/2 Wake
12/6 ODU
12/9 JMU
12/19 Bucknell
12/23 Boston College

I think Wake, ODU and Boston College are our only true road games. 3 road, 3 neutral, 6 home.

Last edited:
By my count this is our schedule, 12 games:

11/10 Delaware
11/13 Jacksonville State*
11/20 UAB*
11/21 Cincinnati/Buffalo*
11/22 Last Cayman Game*
11/25 Georgetown
???? Vermont
12/2 Wake
12/6 ODU
12/9 JMU
12/19 Bucknell
12/23 Boston College
Vermont is 11/29

Last edited:
I updated the first post in this thread with the complete schedule if you don't feel like clicking through to UR's site.

I'm sort of amazed that a) we could get Gtown with only a true H&H and b) we COULDN'T ever get them when Mooney's boy JTIII was there, but the second he is gone, Ewing schedules us. Just a little odd to me, but glad it finally is happening. It has seemed like a natural matchup for years.

I like it. Doesn't appear to have many RPI anchors other then BC and JMU on the non con slate. Great get with Georgetown. Would of liked to have seen WM on the schedule.

I'm really pleased with that Georgetown game and pretty happy with the schedule overall. Having GTown, Vermont and Bucknell here is three, solid Non Con opponents. Kudos to staff on putting things together.

Georgetown isn't expected to be good, could be similar to BC in ACC, but obviously still a great series to get and historical well known program regardless coming to Robins Center.

I agree with Ferrum, notable is lack of very low rpi games. It's possible we don't have any that end up sub 250. Likely planned to some extent so well done there by staff.

I remain disappointed we can't get the full 13 max OOC games. 3 years in a row now. And you can't say that's planned as the release noted they are still looking for another game. But they noted the same a couple years ago too and it didn't work out. We get in these exempt tourneys where we can schedule the 13 and we don't take advantage. While some other teams don't get the 13 many others do. I don't want a crap game at home but there was room to get a reasonable team. I would even prefer a marquee buy game where we go on road, but doubt one's available at this point. I like a lot of elements of schedule but the 12 vs 13 games I find very lacking by UR, especially 3 years in a row.

Reactions: urfan1
I think this is a solid schedule and the addition of Georgetown at home was a coup (yeah G-Town might not be great this year, but they are a marquee name and will probably have a solid profile just from playing in the Big East).

I think we have an OOC schedule that puts us in a good position for a solid resume. Of course, now we have to actually perform on the court.

We have a Big East team coming to the Robins Center. Can we get an update on Ulla??
Hoops32, the Ulla is POMPED OP! Hopefully will be moved from Maryland by the time the season begins. Our Spiders will win more than 20 games and we will be dancing! Roll Spide!

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
Ulla - so hopefully your Maryland home is on the market? Know you have been looking forward to living closer to alma mater for a few years now......................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT