ADVERTISEMENT

It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This proves how undeniable it is as to how much a University benefits from a first class successful basketball program. It has always been in our reach but the powers in charge are clueless!
Agree. The whole moon is a good representative therefore we let him muddle along is a stupid argument. We got more recognition when we go to a sweet 16 than any other way unfortunately. And we need a new coach and culture to get back to those days.

Agree. The whole moon is a good representative therefore we let him muddle along is a stupid argument. We got more recognition when we go to a sweet 16 than any other way unfortunately. And we need a new coach and culture to get back to those days.
We got overshadowed by VCU then too.

Only someone who has no affiliation or fandome to an ACC school other than Duke would ask such a question. He is Ratface, cries to the refs more than any other coach, they give him favor, and he will do anything to win. Remember when my Deacs had Chris Paul and Wake was very good, K had some bottom feeder off the bench start the game to harass Paul to get him to retaliate, and get him in foul trouble. The guy is a great coach but certainly not an angel.

It will be interesting to see how the Duke players respond to K calling them out on national TV in front of "the brotherhood" and fans saying their performance was unacceptable.
Yes, thought that was a bit crazy, and that one could go either way. The current players were just staring ahead with no expression. I guess K figured he has nothing to lose at this point. I was actually kind of glad he gave a nice speech at the end because the " unacceptable" speech would have been a tough way to end it in Cameron.

Only someone who has no affiliation or fandome to an ACC school other than Duke would ask such a question. He is Ratface, cries to the refs more than any other coach, they give him favor, and he will do anything to win. Remember when my Deacs had Chris Paul and Wake was very good, K had some bottom feeder off the bench start the game to harass Paul to get him to retaliate, and get him in foul trouble. The guy is a great coach but certainly not an angel.
This is your perception of him. Every coach (and now players) cries to the refs — have you watched college basketball recently?

“do anything to win” is just complete BS. He’s kept integrity in the program for over 40 years, and, only until recently, graduated a high rate of players. Based on the turnout last night and watching interviews of former players, it looks like he helped cultivate a lot of great men.

I remember that Duke/Wake game well. Maybe questionable strategy but if that’s what earns him your hate and animosity than it shows more about you than him.

He served our country after going to West Point and helped achieve 3 Olympic gold medals.

You want to buy into the Duke hate — fine, but I don’t understand the hate for Coach K. Got nothing but respect for somebody like him and what he achieved.

Yes, thought that was a bit crazy, and that one could go either way. The current players were just staring ahead with no expression. I guess K figured he has nothing to lose at this point. I was actually kind of glad he gave a nice speech at the end because the " unacceptable" speech would have been a tough way to end it in Cameron.
He learned talking to refs from the great Dean Smith. He and Valvano actually started ACC coaches talking to each other and actually getting along.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Well, Cory Magette and numerous players families parents got jobs, benefits , etc. Hell Coach K grandson and Paolo got arrested earlier this year. Not even one game suspension for Paolo. Not saying these types of things are not prevalent at that level, but K is just more Teflon and media helps wipe it.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Editing my message. These stories are clear that you all reaching with your Coach K hate.

Getting back on point. We need a coach that gives us a chance to become elite. As another poster suggested, it is evident from Duke and the halo they get from their program that a solid program can provide real, tangling benefit to our university.

I’d prefer Chris Mooney be my coach than Coach K. But I’d prefer a rock with googly eyes, so don’t take that as a compliment to Mooney

Reactions: spider23
Editing my message. These stories are clear that you all reaching with your Coach K hate.

Getting back on point. We need a coach that gives us a chance to become elite. As another poster suggested, it is evident from Duke and the halo they get from their program that a solid program can provide real, tangling benefit to our university.
If we get a coach that gives us a chance to be elite, the chances are, that they would eventually move on to a bigger program.

See every coach in A-10 history.

Aldrich making a good case...

Eight guys with at least five points today. Impressive depth, especially considering the unfortunate state of their uniforms, which use one of the five fonts that came with every Mac in 2002.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
Possible that with Longwood making it that every other D1 program in the state has made the tournament since we last did. I'm too lazy to check but I think it's true.

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Possible that with Longwood making it that every other D1 program in the state has made the tournament since we last did. I'm too lazy to check but I think it's true.
As of 2:53 pm on 03/06/2022

George Mason - 2011
Hampton- 2016
Purple - 2013
Liberty - 2021
Longwood - 2022
Norfolk State - 2021
ODU - 2015
Radford - 2018
Richmond - 2011
VCU - 2021*
Wahoo - 2021
VMI - 1977
Hokie - 2021
W&M - never

As of 2:53 pm on 03/06/2022

George Mason - 2011
Hampton- 2016
Purple - 2013
Liberty - 2021
Longwood - 2022
Norfolk State - 2021
ODU - 2015
Radford - 2018
Richmond - 2011
VCU - 2021*
Wahoo - 2021
VMI - 1977
Hokie - 2021
W&M - never
Per a certain poster only at-large matter for a resume, so that might change that list... ;)

And I'm curious when was the last year that there were only 5 D1 teams in VA?
Hokies/Wahoos
W&M/VMI/UR

I want to say 1978 but I think that was football...

I get a tangling feeling just thinking about Mooney's abrupt exit from our program.

I’d prefer Chris Mooney be my coach than Coach K. But I’d prefer a rock with googly eyes, so don’t take that as a compliment to Mooney
True, Coach K destroyed all of college basketball in the last 10 years, Mooney only destroyed UR basketball.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If coach K had been UR's coach for the last 42 years with the same results, you wouldn't be saying anything derogatory today. However, I'm afraid our administration would have unfortunately run him off years ago.

If coach K had been UR's coach for the last 42 years with the same results, you wouldn't be saying anything derogatory today. However, I'm afraid our administration would have unfortunately run him off years ago.
I liked Duke until they went one and done.

With respect to thread title, I would edit from "It is time for a change" to "Well past time for a change."

That said, I will be at the tournament with two of my sons. The Three Amigos ride again! Looking forward to it! Encourage all Spider fans to make the short jaunt north to support the team.

Go Spiders!

Did u just say you'd prefer Mooney over coach k? Just want to ensure I read that correctly...
Well, to be fair, If coach K was at Richmond I would never have attended. Would have never even given the school consideration. There’s no D1 coach i’d want him over

edit: this also goes for all D2, D3, NAIA, highschool, YMCA, U7 church league coaches

Well, to be fair, If coach K was at Richmond I would never have attended. Would have never even given the school consideration. There’s no D1 coach i’d want him over

edit: this also goes for all D2, D3, NAIA, highschool, YMCA, U7 church league coaches
Yeah, I know how you feel. Had I known Mooney would have come in and destroyed what Lewis Mills and Carl Sloan built at Richmond, I never would have attended.

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg

Did coach K kick your dog?

I mean I’m not a fan of his (grew up a UConn fan). Think he runs an entitled program and everything is always someone else’s fault.

But the guy knows basketball, and how to push players buttons to get the best out of them. He’s a heck of a coach, and even though I enjoy rooting against him and Duke, I respect what he’s built.

He had losing records his first three seasons at Duke. A majority of this board's posters would have wanted him canned long before the administration.

(BTW, I fully support a change in our head coach.)

Reactions: Spiders4ever
He had a winning season (NIT bid) then 2 losing seasons. I agree that there would’ve been rumblings for him to be canned on this board if he was at UR (as there were in real life at Duke), but having a couple of losing seasons early at a school is very different than 10+ years in. Same goes for droughts in tourney appearances.

That fourth year was a make or break year for coach K. He came through with a NCAA bid.

Reactions: Zeeter and SpiderK
He had a winning season (NIT bid) then 2 losing seasons. I agree that there would’ve been rumblings for him to be canned on this board if he was at UR (as there were in real life at Duke), but having a couple of losing seasons early at a school is very different than 10+ years in. Same goes for droughts in tourney appearances.

That fourth year was a make or break year for coach K. He came through with a NCAA bid.
I'm not the one who said our administration would have run him off.

To Long Island (reply feature not working)
Im not saying I hate the guy, just as an opposing coach to my favorite team, he got under my skin for many many reasons over the years. You dont have a player/coach who might be a nice guy but you cant stand them for whatever reason?

I actually understand your feelings, everyone, but some of you get to the point of just
being cruel. We’re talking about a man that wants to win, has given years to this program,
has a family, has run a “clean” program, and not succeeded.
But some of you are losers that enjoy kicking someone while they are down,
I feel sorry for you and your families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT