ADVERTISEMENT

It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
there aren't statistical facts that can back it up. He and SDJ likely feel Mooney is a great mentor and coach. they grew as players with him and won a good amount of games with him. they both play professionally so I'm sure they credit Mooney. I'm also sure they shoulder the burden of not making the dance on themselves. coaches put you in position to win games. those on the floor still have to make the plays and get the stops.
If they said that, that would at least have value. Most of their responses have been sophomoric and basically telling fans to STFU. To be fair, SDJ more than TJ on that last statement.

there aren't statistical facts that can back it up. He and SDJ likely feel Mooney is a great mentor and coach. they grew as players with him and won a good amount of games with him. they both play professionally so I'm sure they credit Mooney. I'm also sure they shoulder the burden of not making the dance on themselves. coaches put you in position to win games. those on the floor still have to make the plays and get the stops.
Disagree big time with your statement " coaches put you in position to win games. those on the floor still have to make the plays and get the stops".

In general - yes. However, not with Mooney. I think Mooney & his system with its fundamental flaws and lack of priorities which we've discussed millions of times are a liability and have held the players back from putting players in position to win games. Or to qualify - not winning enough and big games that matter. Mooney is the problem. His record speaks for itself.

I understand that you disagree. I'm saying guys ike TJ and SDJ seem to disagree with you. you believe you're right. they believe they're right. sounds pretty typical for a message board.

Reactions: nathanw19
I understand that you disagree. I'm saying guys ike TJ and SDJ seem to disagree with you. you believe you're right. they believe they're right. sounds pretty typical for a message board.
Spider-Man, are you signing it? I’m genuinely curious on this one.

Everybody should be allowed to have their own opinions. That doesn’t mean you can’t be wrong, and I would argue, based on the stats outlined in the petition, it’s clear these two former players are wrong.

So the question is why are they wrong? It’s because they are biased. I see both of them at a lot of games this year so frankly it would be odd for them not to take this position publicly given their former roles and relationship with the current coach and players.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
A few players support Mooney, but most remain silent. I wouldn’t expect any of them to bad mouth him.

Reactions: spider fan
I just don’t think it’s that simplistic. The record speaks for itself. They can be as loyal as they want, but the leader and his leadership didn’t get them to championships or NCAA. Their sense of loyalty is fine but doesn’t trump lack of success.

I just don’t think it’s that simplistic. The record speaks for itself. They can be as loyal as they want, but the leader and his leadership didn’t get them to championships or NCAA. Their sense of loyalty is fine but doesn’t trump lack of success.
they didn't dance and that's the goal. but in 2 of TJ's 3 years, they went 3 rounds in the NIT. his time here was pretty successful. long time fans have a different perspective.

they didn't dance and that's the goal. but in 2 of TJ's 3 years, they went 3 rounds in the NIT. his time here was pretty successful. long time fans have a different perspective.
NIT is bridesmaid tournament.

I totally agree with prior post by SpiderK.

Any thoughts on why more people don't sign the petition? - was at 151 last time I checked. Is it because they don't know about it or because they think it is futile or because they have lost interest in Richmond basketball? Realize there can be other reasons for not signing but curious what others think.

Any thoughts on why more people don't sign the petition? - was at 151 last time I checked. Is it because they don't know about it or because they think it is futile or because they have lost interest in Richmond basketball? Realize there can be other reasons for not signing but curious what others think.
I think it’s a combination of all of those things. Couple things you left out is that we have a lot of casual “fans” who come to games just to have a good time and could care less who the coach is or about any of the players. Those are the “new fans” bob black was talking about. There is also a much larger group of mooney supporters than I think any of us realize. They just don’t show up on here. I think the divide between people out on mooney completely and people that still support him is a lot closer to 50/50 than we think.

Yes sadly I agree there are many who think anything over .500 is fine .............

The pay 7 bucks or forward is the problem. I don’t give other peoples contact info to mass marketers.

A couple thoughts.

1. It hasn't been widely distributed on social media as of yet. I've seen it in a couple of places but no widescale distribution to make it known as of yet.
2. I don't think 151 is a bad number right now. Think it will continue to rise, particularly when (and if) we are eliminated from the A-10 tourney.
3. UR is a small community. I think folks are afraid of some bite back from UR if they sign.

Keep posting it out on social media, sharing with your contacts and will continue to grow.

I signed it and didn't have to do either thing
I don't recall being presented with promotion options, but they may not have been in place when I signed right after it went live. Regardless, you can skip that if you don't want to donate or share.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Spider-Man, are you signing it? I’m genuinely curious on this one.

Everybody should be allowed to have their own opinions. That doesn’t mean you can’t be wrong, and I would argue, based on the stats outlined in the petition, it’s clear these two former players are wrong.

So the question is why are they wrong? It’s because they are biased. I see both of them at a lot of games this year so frankly it would be odd for them not to take this position publicly given their former roles and relationship with the current coach and players.
I think that you are correct about the players being wrong.

Of course Cline & Jones are happy with Mooney. Their perspective is biased because they experienced personal benefits (they played key roles). In other words, for them, their time with Mooney was great! Ask many others (Paul Friendshue or Solly Stansbury might be couple of examples) and I am quite confident that you won't get nearly as rosy a report. This just makes sense.

A second piece of significance regarding guys like Cline & SDJ could well involve them angling for their future. It won't be very long and both of them will be looking for work. Everyone knows that former players very often find work with the help of their former coach. They may well be personal friends with Mooney, that is their business. But, there is likely more to it than just good will.

I think that you are correct about the players being wrong.

Of course Cline & Jones are happy with Mooney. Their perspective is biased because they experienced personal benefits (they played key roles). In other words, for them, their time with Mooney was great! Ask many others (Paul Friendshue or Solly Stansbury might be couple of examples) and I am quite confident that you won't get nearly as rosy a report. This just makes sense.

A second piece of significance regarding guys like Cline & SDJ could well involve them angling for their future. It won't be very long and both of them will be looking for work. Everyone knows that former players very often find work with the help of their former coach. They may well be personal friends with Mooney, that is their business. But, there is likely more to it than just good will.
Correct. It is misnomer to say all players are loyal to Mooney and want him to remain our HC. Some are and for some of them it could be self-serving as you stated. But not all of his former players have the same affinity for Mooney that the few public ones who have supported him seem to have.

Reactions: KWeaver
A lot of these kids want to work in this business and won’t bad mouth Mooney, who is still a well respected loser in the industry.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
^^ I hope if the powers that be are doing any sort of due diligence with Spider B-ball alums, that they cast a wider net than the guys that sit in the friends and family section behind the bench.

I am of aware of a good number of Spider Basketball alumni, many of whom did not play for CM, that want him the hell out of here.
I was talking recently with a well known Spider bb alum who didn't play for CM. He & I discussed several aspects of the current bb program. He and I shared pretty much the same beliefs on the Mooney system & fundamentals.

Last edited:
3. UR is a small community. I think folks are afraid of some bite back from UR if they sign.
Thought of that 97 - when I attended in the 60's people could say what they wanted without being pressured to change..........my daughter attended in the early 2000's and there was more of an expected comformity which based on current media info from the school has gotten worse.............

There has been very little effort made to get signatures at this point.

FWIW, there is a mother of a former player (and graduate) that signed.
Is there some reason that those who have signed can’t be seen publicly? I’d rather have my name out there, frankly, but I would also like to see what other respected voices are on board.

Reactions: GKiller
Is there some reason that those who have signed can’t be seen publicly? I’d rather have my name out there, frankly, but I would also like to see what other respected voices are on board.

I'm not sure what the issue is with it to be honest. As the initiator, I can see everyone and my assumption is that those that signed are fine to not be anonymous. Not sure how the platform handles it though. Had planned on sending list of names to the administration at the conclusion of the petition.

One interesting name is the parent of a past all-conference player under CM.

I'm not sure what the issue is with it to be honest. As the initiator, I can see everyone and my assumption is that those that signed are fine to not be anonymous. Not sure how the platform handles it though. Had planned on sending list of names to the administration at the conclusion of the petition.

One interesting name is the parent of a past all-conference player under CM.
Yeah - was wondering that as well - only seemed to give an option of adding a comment .. not just displaying your name, etc.

When you check to see how many have signed the same names appear that appeared before.

The only verification seems to be the URL address or an email address...my wife signed on at my daughter's house because when she tried at our house it kept going to my already having signed on. That would eliminate signing multiple times from the same URL. So guess someone could try signing the petition as Chris Mooney to find out if there is any verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT