ADVERTISEMENT

It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want them to seriously think about letting him go - they need to lose against Bonnies and then lose first round in A10 tourney. Other than that - I think he returns. And I like the petition idea, its more subtle than Billboard, but also shows the amount of support behind it.
But I think Administration will take this and say - you don't tell us how to run our program - he stays.

05, Thanks for taking the lead on us. I surely hope everyone on here on complains constantly about Mooney takes time to both sign this petition and forward and distribute it to as many people as possible.

While the administration may choose to ignore it and go a different direction, I think it is always important to let your voices be heard. If enough people express the same voice, I think that could make a difference in the decision makers minds.

For whatever reason, Mooney has always been a sympathetic character to the people in charge. A key point of this is making it clearer than clear that this is business. You don't keep an underperforming employee on your payroll for a decade because he's a great guy. Nothing personal, Mooney, but you are not getting the job done.

VCU did their part beating the Bonnies. It’s truly unbelievable. Once again fate gives us an opportunity and we blow it. This has to be the most disappointing team in Spider history.
This literally pains me. I spent way too much time yesterday looking at scenarios to get the fourth seed and it would’ve come together brilliantly. Can’t believe they couldnt dig deep and gut out a performance that would’ve positioned them for a real chance at winning the A10 tourney.

Last edited:
I’m just waiting for the day where I can be excited about this program again. Mooney has sucked the care about this program out of me. As soon as we get new leadership I’ll be the first in line to buy season tickets again (which we gave up in 2018 because of Mooney).

If you want them to seriously think about letting him go - they need to lose against Bonnies and then lose first round in A10 tourney. Other than that - I think he returns. And I like the petition idea, its more subtle than Billboard, but also shows the amount of support behind it.
But I think Administration will take this and say - you don't tell us how to run our program - he stays.
That’s a big part of the program…..it’s not their program. They are not Spiders. They are paid employees to manage the program. I paid to be a Spider going to school there. I contributed for decades, bought season tickets…..I am a Spider. The current jobs they hold wouldn’t be there without Robins, who was also a Spider, donations. They got a job with an organization they did not create.

Here the thing and I don't disagree with what you said. But the fact that decision on how to move forward might be based upon the next two games (and last night's game) is just a galling abdication of leadership. These folks have 11 damn years to look at of underperformances, 55% percent winning percentage, and yet they very well be swayed by what happens in our utter meaningless last game and how far we go in the A-10 tournament.

I know we will never know if these last games really will determine whether he stays or goes but just the fact that we have to wonder that, shows how little faith we have in leadership to do what is necessary to make our program the best it can be.

Who's gonna post it in comments on the men's hoops Facebook page and see how long it lasts? Given how long spam links to pirated game streams stay up, not sure anybody's keeping an eye on things over there.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
The sad thing is that the Administration can't even tell themselves how to run our program. They haven't a clue, and history supports that.

Reactions: plydogg
This. Unfortunately that is the attitude of this program. That’s why no matter how many petitions, billboards, angry emails, calls on the radio show there are it doesn’t matter. Mooney isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. This is so frustrating and I hope some of you can see why I honestly just root for us to lose a lot of times. It’s not because I hate the kids or the program or even the coach, it’s because I know that’s the only way a change might be made. Going 19-12 doesn’t do anything good or bad. We just can’t touch mooney because it’s such a dictatorship over in the robins center. You can tell just by listening to the post game shows where it’s all positive still. I have a hard time believing even Russia is as much of a dictatorship as The university of Richmond.

Keep a coach as long as Mooney becomes a serious problem. There becomes an attachment just because of tenor that is hard to break. We rewarded Mooney for mediocre results for many years, built an undeserved loyalty to him and now feel we cant fire him just because he has been here so long and made deep relationshis. How did Martelli depart St.Joes? Fired or retirement?

Keep a coach as long as Mooney becomes a serious problem. There becomes an attachment just because of tenor that is hard to break. We rewarded Mooney for mediocre results for many years, built an undeserved loyalty to him and now feel we cant fire him just because he has been here so long and made deep relationshis. How did Martelli depart St.Joes? Fired or retirement?

Closing in on 100 signatures and it's only been up about 15 hours and isn't 'viral' yet. Not a shabby start.
We need to hire the people that handled the voting in 2020. I want to mail in all my votes. 😊

No one knows how long Martelli had left - but he certainly had some years left, no doubt on that. I wonder how much they paid him to get out of that deal. That is the big question. He had to be making good money at St. Joes based on past success.

Martelli has made the NCAAs at St. Joe's twice since Mooney last made it here -- and he was fired three years ago.
I agree - I think the new AD there saw an opportunity, a very slim opportunity - where St. Joes was coming off 3 losing seasons - and took advantage of it. Knowing it would sting and hurt for the short term, but in hopes of long term success. I think St. Joes feared if we don't fire him after this - then we are basically saying Martelli is coach for as long as he wants to be coach - which I think some would argue with all he did for St. Joes he may very well deserve, but I think the new AD didn't see it that way - waited for the losing seasons to pile up, and then ripped off the band-aid.

Reactions: KWeaver
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT