ADVERTISEMENT

It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile at UMass, they are firing their current head coach and putting out messaging like this. But yeah, we don't have enough money to buy out Mooney and hire a high quality coach. If we didn't want to play in the big boys sandbox, we should have stayed in the CAA. UMass AD quote

Reactions: 8legs1dream
In my opinion, if we had both forwards going for offensive rebounds while the center and both guards retreat, we likely would have won enough additional games to be in ncaa discussion rather than NIT discussion.
Mooney never changes. Bad defensive metrics and bad rebounding metrics. Listening to a lot of sports radio and handicapping, we are what they are calling a paper lion. Soft in other words, and Mooney keeps rolling out the same philosophy year after year.

Reactions: SpiderLaw
Mooney never changes. Bad defensive metrics and bad rebounding metrics. Listening to a lot of sports radio and handicapping, we are what they are calling a paper lion. Soft in other words, and Mooney keeps rolling out the same philosophy year after year.
Where can I find the petition that is circulating?

He has a system.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
there’s a link in the first post of the thread.
FYI the blue text is the link. I was initially confused as well even though links are commonly indicated in this way. I just didn’t realize one could have an in-line link like that on a forum post.

is paper lion above paper tiger?

Reactions: spider23
I honestly think the decision makers look at comments like that from former players and say “see look, his former players love him, you guys are idiots”. Sorry but comments like this from players who never get over the hump don’t do it for me.

Coach,

You've been a great representative of the university for the last 17 years. Thank you. Division one college athletics is a business and this is a business decision. The on-court results have not been at the level necessary for me to support you being retained as coach of the Spiders. For these reasons, I desire a change in program leadership.

Respectfully,

'05

---------------

Even if you've sent in an email already, I'd encourage you to sign your name and share actively within your groups. It's not just enough to just "like" a post on here. If you support the petition, please consider supporting using your networks to help get the word out.
Bumping the link:
https://chng.it/9LH6q8vGxW

I honestly think the decision makers look at comments like that from former players and say “see look, his former players love him, you guys are idiots”. Sorry but comments like this from players who never get over the hump don’t do it for me.
You know it’s odd….TJ had to go through a separate, individual training to toughen him up…….because softy Mookie doesn’t do it.

Even if you've sent in an email already, I'd encourage you to sign your name and share actively within your groups. It's not just enough to just "like" a post on here. If you support the petition, please consider supporting using your networks to help get the word out.

so why isn’t this on your Twitter feed?

Another comment by SDJ too. It's impossible for them to separate the Program from the Coach. Sad, really.
Players are gonna support a coach who they feel mentored them. What irks me is guys like SDJ and TJ do this publicly with members of the fan base and they don't seem to have any realization that the fan base has a different perspective.

Reactions: KWeaver
Players are gonna support a coach who they feel mentored them. What irks me is guys like SDJ and TJ do this publicly with members of the fan base and they don't seem to have any realization that the fan base has a different perspective.
no idea why that irks you. it's personal for them. just accept that they have a different perspective than you. that's ok.

I don't quite agree with the characterization that they don't realize the fan base has a different perspective. They're supporting their coach and I 100% get that.

I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive though. One can support but also understand differing perspectives.

Reactions: SpiderK and plydogg
The loyalty to our program is evident on this board. Many of us have been Spider fans probably longer than twice the age of recent loyal Mooney players. This is not to disparage the recent grads. They have their right to support CM. I would love to hear any of them speak to the failures in the last 10 years for Mooney to lead them to championships or March Madness. Are there any statements that someone can post via these players?

Reactions: Eight Legger
Of course players will mostly stick up for their coach. What I don't get is that they must all just think they weren't actually good enough to get to the NCAAs, or they are blaming their lack of appearances there on a bunch of bad luck or something totally unrelated to Mooney, I guess. In a vacuum, ok, I suppose. But look at the bigger picture and you see the trends. I suppose they don't typically take those views, since they are just here for 3-5 years and then done.

Of course players will mostly stick up for their coach. What I don't get is that they must all just think they weren't actually good enough to get to the NCAAs, or they are blaming their lack of appearances there on a bunch of bad luck or something totally unrelated to Mooney, I guess. In a vacuum, ok, I suppose. But look at the bigger picture and you see the trends. I suppose they don't typically take those views, since they are just here for 3-5 years and then done.
Listening to the post game radio show after the game the other night explains it all. No one discussed the lob to win the game for Dayton, it was just we’ve been so close in so many games against good teams or in the case of that game “the refs should have called a foul on the last play”. I would imagine that’s how all of mooney’s players think and how former players explain their lack of ncaa appearances.

no idea why that irks you. it's personal for them. just accept that they have a different perspective than you. that's ok.
I accept that and am OK with them privately supporting Mooney as a former mentor and/or friend.

What I don't like is ex-players attacking the very fans that supported them on social media. If you are a player (ex or current) going after the fans of the team is just a bad look. Any time a player gets in an argument with their fan base, the player is gonna lose that argument.

The loyalty to our program is evident on this board. Many of us have been Spider fans probably longer than twice the age of recent loyal Mooney players. This is not to disparage the recent grads. They have their right to support CM. I would love to hear any of them speak to the failures in the last 10 years for Mooney to lead them to championships or March Madness. Are there any statements that someone can post via these players?
And no of course not, they don't support their statements with any type of facts, just emotion. Of course, when you got zero good facts to support your argument, you only have put emotion to put out.

Listening to the post game radio show after the game the other night explains it all. No one discussed the lob to win the game for Dayton, it was just we’ve been so close in so many games against good teams or in the case of that game “the refs should have called a foul on the last play”. I would imagine that’s how all of mooney’s players think and how former players explain their lack of ncaa appearances.
I think you're right. They've been conditioned to focus primarily on the positives, real or perceived ("we made a lot of good plays and tried hard") and overlook the negatives ("we lost"). It's why we lose so many close games. We're not tough enough. We don't scrap and claw for every loose ball. We don't play physical basketball. We whine about officiating. We're soft.

Last edited:
Any time a player gets in an argument with their fan base, the player is gonna lose that argument.
agreed. but if you're ok with the (usually anonymous) fan voicing his opinion then I think you should be ok with the former player voicing his ... whether you are on the same side of the arguemnt or not.

Reactions: plydogg
agreed. but if you're ok with the (usually anonymous) fan voicing his opinion then I think you should be ok with the former player voicing his ... whether you are on the same side of the arguemnt or not.
I already said why I think they shouldn't do it. Do they have a right to voice their opinion, of course. Do I think it is a good idea for them to do so, definetly not.

I also think that if you voice your opinion, you should have some facts to back up your statements. I haven't seen one player voicing their opinion do that, so that I have a problem with.

I also think that if you voice your opinion, you should have some facts to back up your statements. I haven't seen one player voicing their opinion do that, so that I have a problem with.
there aren't statistical facts that can back it up. He and SDJ likely feel Mooney is a great mentor and coach. they grew as players with him and won a good amount of games with him. they both play professionally so I'm sure they credit Mooney. I'm also sure they shoulder the burden of not making the dance on themselves. coaches put you in position to win games. those on the floor still have to make the plays and get the stops.

Reactions: plydogg
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT