ADVERTISEMENT

It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had losing records his first three seasons at Duke. A majority of this board's posters would have wanted him canned long before the administration.

(BTW, I fully support a change in our head coach.)
Not really valid point. Mooney started slow too and most gave him along leash , he'll I'm one of his biggest bathers and I was ok with him for about 6 to 7 years too long probably. Board has been patient with Mooney for very long time, so not a great point. Dean Smith was hung in effigy too. Difference is after a few bad seasons, Mooney had early success and then went into slacker mode after 13 million contract. Reversal of K and Dean's situation.

To Long Island (reply feature not working)
Im not saying I hate the guy, just as an opposing coach to my favorite team, he got under my skin for many many reasons over the years. You dont have a player/coach who might be a nice guy but you cant stand them for whatever reason?
I had a 10 hour drive yesterday and listening to two different national programs, one out of LV and one out of DC, both were not K fans, actually brought up numerous situations, lime berating Oregon player in hand shake line and then lying about it etc.

And again. I would be all for it if we could get such a successful jerk:). One last observation, I live in CT now. Fans up here I think are much more k friendly, as opposed to many in ACC territory that have observed many of the petty and passive aggressive moves employed against their teams for year, instead of just seeing the espn puff. Grayson Allen goon tactics defended as an accident, then performed again. Who remembers that before he adopted the one and done, certain players that left early were "effing up my program". But I digress, hopefully we get rid of moon and Hardt doesn't screw up the hire.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Spider23, your points are beyond weak. I’m glad you suffered a 10 hour car ride yesterday. :)
No not really, sorry but light traffic, not too bad at all. The thing is, as usual you only see you point of view living in LI I presume. Much dislike of K across the country fostered by probably close to hundreds of shady things and passive aggressive moves over the years. Listening to some sports radio I was kind of surprisedto find so much K hate actually on airwaves for this joyous occasion.

Reactions: plydogg
No not really, sorry but light traffic, not too bad at all. The thing is, as usual you only see you point of view living in LI I presume. Much dislike of K across the country fostered by probably close to hundreds of shady things and passive aggressive moves over the years. Listening to some sports radio I was kind of surprisedto find so much K hate actually on airwaves for this joyous occasion.
I don’t live in Long Island! Hundreds of shady things?!

I root against Duke. Tho not a K hater.

To 23's point...my fav was when he essentially blamed Tyler Hansborough for his broken nose after the Duke guy clocked him. K went victim blaming & said he shouldn't have been in game at the end.

But over the course of that long of a career there will be some things.

Went to Duke bball camp as a kid back in 80s. Even tho Bob Knight said Coach K was not a shooter he always looked pretty good to me. Coach K said he could shoot but Knight didn't let him. But my main memory was how good looking his daughters were.

Oh yeah how is the petition going.

I root against Duke. Tho not a K hater.

To 23's point...my fav was when he essentially blamed Tyler Hansborough for his broken nose after the Duke guy clocked him. K went victim blaming & said he shouldn't have been in game at the end.

But over the course of that long of a career there will be some things.

Went to Duke bball camp as a kid back in 80s. Even tho Bob Knight said Coach K was not a shooter he always looked pretty good to me. Coach K said he could shoot but Knight didn't let him. But my main memory was how good looking his daughters were.

Oh yeah how is the petition going.
Exactly. Well said G Killer. “But over the course of that long of a career there will be some things.”

Have you not heard that Spider23 and others have flawless professional and personal records?

I have been pushing the petition big time after the Dayton and VCU losses. Let’s keep it going.

Exactly. Well said G Killer. “But over the course of that long of a career there will be some things.”

Have you not heard that Spider23 and others have flawless professional and personal records?

I have been pushing the petition big time after the Dayton and VCU losses. Let’s keep it going.
Change the narrative. There definitely will be things over the course of a long career. There were a ton of shady things over the years, and the fact that much of the national media glossed them over because he is so vindictive and grudge carrying is what turns the other half against him so much. I am not making it up, was refreshing to hear radio/podcasts reveling in his loss. Of course he will probably come back and win the ACC tourney and national championship now :). Kind of agreeing with SF on the petition. I am going to write to the AD and president. I am afraid that an anonymous petition won't really move the needle. That said - I did sign it and hope it gets a lot of signatures. Just not sure PQ is going to give a damn.

The state of our basketball program has deteriorated so thoroughly that we are reduced to arguing about someone else's retiring coach three days before we start the A-10 tournament with our most experienced team ever.

JOC posted a tourney article today. First Mooney quote...

“We competed”

It was very inspirational on eve of A10.

I actually understand your feelings, everyone, but some of you get to the point of just
being cruel. We’re talking about a man that wants to win, has given years to this program,
has a family, has run a “clean” program, and not succeeded.
But some of you are losers that enjoy kicking someone while they are down,
I feel sorry for you and your families.
There is no reason to feel sorry for Mooney. He wants to win for sure, and I am willing to bet with his Princeton education, even he knows this is a business of winning games. He has run a clean program and has been a good representative of the University. But there is no reason to feel sorry for him. He has made over $10 million dollars as the coach of the University of Richmond. And if he is smart with his money, which I am sure he is - he doesn't have to work another day if he doesn't want to and he has enough money to provide a good foundation for his children. He has made generational money and as much as coaches want to win the "big-one", there are very few that actually can. But the ultimate goal, the one they don't speak about too much because it would look bad - is many coaches now are able to make this type of money that sets up their families for a very long time. And Mooney has done that. So I don't feel bad for him. He has made it all the way from wedding planning at a DIII School to a million dollar a year coach. Overall - he has been a success.
Look at someone like Aldrich at Longwood - only makes $150K a year. Yes - they made the NCAA tourney, but theoretically if he were to get fired - he has to find another job and make ends meet. The goal is to climb the ladder and get as high as you can where you don't have to worry about the ends meeting. Mooney has done that - so no - I don't feel sorry. He should not be attacked personally - all he has done or not done - is he did not win enough games. That is part of the business.

Well not Aldrich he's wealthy so not good example but other coaches.

Mooney has run a mostly clean program. Justified or not, the school fired a top assistant for breaking ncaa rules. You rarely see that occur but it happened under Mooney.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Change the narrative. There definitely will be things over the course of a long career. There were a ton of shady things over the years, and the fact that much of the national media glossed them over because he is so vindictive and grudge carrying is what turns the other half against him so much. I am not making it up, was refreshing to hear radio/podcasts reveling in his loss. Of course he will probably come back and win the ACC tourney and national championship now :). Kind of agreeing with SF on the petition. I am going to write to the AD and president. I am afraid that an anonymous petition won't really move the needle. That said - I did sign it and hope it gets a lot of signatures. Just not sure PQ is going to give a damn.
my concern with petition is that once the basketball season ends and the sting wears off people will just stop bothering to care about what happened or will happen with the basketball program and how many signatures can we legitimately expect to receive? A couple thousand? As long as people are showing up at the RC I just don't think there will be enough interest in a petition.

True - Aldrich made money elsewhere. So take someone from the UR tree. Take a guy like McGeehan at Campbell. Maybe he makes like 200K - which is not bad for a days work. But not enough to effect the lives of his family or children where they don't have to work anymore or have enough to not worry about ends for a long time. And Campbell - not a place where if he gets fired, he immediately gets a job elsewhere. SO I feel much more sorry for him and his family because they will have to scramble to find the next job. Whereas coaches in Mooney position - they can do whatever they want.

Correct EightLegs, as soon as season ends, people tend to move on, watch there brackets, Hardt stays in hiding, everything settles down. Mooney lands a couple transfers, some have hope, We finish around .500, etc etc. Mooney sells the admin on Nelson being the next KA (which he could be), the beat goes on.

Went to Duke bball camp as a kid back in 80s.
That reminds me of a funny picture we have. My brother went to Duke bball camp, because you couldn't get into UNC camp in those days. My parents then stopped at UNC ( he was a UNC fan) on the way home, and he took a picture with Dean Smith while wearing his Duke bball shirt.

The state of our basketball program has deteriorated so thoroughly that we are reduced to arguing about someone else's retiring coach three days before we start the A-10 tournament with our most experienced team ever.

I hate to say it but I would argue this is also our most mediocre team ever. We’ve never had a team be together this long for so many years and be mediocre for so long of it. Some of these guys are on years 5 and 6 of mediocrity

Don't know 23 if it will make you feel good or not, but appears your son and Mooney have something in common.
that was my brother haha, and was just home and my mom brought up that picture when we were watching the UNC-DUKE game.

my sons have in common with Mooney lack of excitement for Richmond basketball. They are very impressed with Gilyards steal record though :):):).

I hate to say it but I would argue this is also our most mediocre team ever. We’ve never had a team be together this long for so many years and be mediocre for so long of it. Some of these guys are on years 5 and 6 of mediocrity
Agree, as much as we tout best class ever. Its another strongly flawed team. Cayo had a good run, but has been very inconsistent this year and no athletic big to at least bound and defend - as usual. And no replacement for Francis - Mooney knew Goose is a good player, but not a scorer and was having hip surgery, and crazy that he was trying to roll Sherod out there for big minutes in the back court.

my concern with petition is that once the basketball season ends and the sting wears off people will just stop bothering to care about what happened or will happen with the basketball program and how many signatures can we legitimately expect to receive? A couple thousand? As long as people are showing up at the RC I just don't think there will be enough interest in a petition.
I would presume the petition will be delivered within a few days after the end of our season. I'm sure we would have all liked to see a petition with a couple thousand signatures, but I don't think with the close nature of our fan base, that would be realistic. So, it is at 250 now, I think that is a solid number, that shows the collective discontent among the loyal fan base. I also think that once we are eliminated from the A-10 tournament that we will get another strong bump of signees.

It is a statement as our all of individual e-mails to the President and Hardt, the increasingly negative and consistent comments on their social media accounts, and I'm sure some internal conversations that must be going on. It is like water dripping from a faucet, one or two drips isn't going to bother you, a bunch of continual drips day after day is going to wear on you.

I still don't know all of this adds up to them pulling the trigger or not, but there is no way, the can chalk this up to a small minority segment of the fan base.

Keep the pressure on. Promote the petition particularly after we get eliminated in the A-10, when folks emotions are higher.

The trigger point will be those that don’t return who can and those who transfer out. What we have left could be another healthy trigger for more letters and emails.

Not saying this will happen - but be prepared for the email from Hardt saying we are keeping Mooney because he has guided us through the pandemic to a record of 58-29 (assuming we lose to VCU in A10 tourney). This was one of the most difficult times in the history of sports and Mooney provided stability and a winning record that helps us "compete" day in and day out, even during a global pandemic. For that reason - we are sticking with Mooney as our men's basketball coach.

Not saying this will happen - but be prepared for the email from Hardt saying we are keeping Mooney because he has guided us through the pandemic to a record of 58-29 (assuming we lose to VCU in A10 tourney). This was one of the most difficult times in the history of sports and Mooney provided stability and a winning record that helps us "compete" day in and day out, even during a global pandemic. For that reason - we are sticking with Mooney as our men's basketball coach.
I'm ready for it Trap. Would definitely bet that outcome if the money was fairly even. And then he will get the benefit of the post covid 6 year seniors rebuild. Buckle up spidernation.

If he beats VCU and makes it to semifinals and/or finals - mortal lock he stays and good odds he gets a 1-2 year extension.

Francis took this team’s balls and left.
I stated when Francis left, who could drive me crazy with some of his decisions, that we no longer had a fearless go to shooter. Last game I watched Gilly and Goos drive into the lane, and lose their man from 10 feet away and refuse to shoot and instead pass out. Do you not think defenses will see this on tape and say just guard the three point line for the outward pass?

Reactions: gospidersgo
I expect that, but it would represent the position of an invertebrate.

Hardt - prove us wrong.

Carolina, I saw a play recently - where Gilly drove the lane, had a wide open 7-8 footer, passed to Golden who was open from 5 feet and did not look at the rim, and threw it out to the perimeter and reset. Crazy. I couldn't figure out if they were just feeling pressure and did not want to take the shot, or what.
I've too noticed that. It seems like it's happened more as the season wound down. It drives me crazy. We luv to pass. There can never be one too many extra passes.

I've too noticed that. It seems like it's happened more as the season wound down. It drives me crazy. We luv to pass. There can never be one too many extra passes.
Exactly, or pass it to Cayo when he is in a bad spot or not expecting it. Cayo, Grant and Grace need a lot of time after they catch the ball to move. Gilyard isn’t keeping the defense honest by dropping a floater in there every now and then. Kendall, Ced and KA did it all the time

Problem with his balls were they were bigger than his basketball acumen too frequently.
We miss him greatly. Francis is one of the most under appreciated players we’ve ever had. We’re not even close to a 24-7 team without him in 2020. He was also actually a really good on ball defender and that’s an area we’re really missing him that people don’t talk about enough.

712, respectfully disagree. Nearly the worst percentage shooter on the team for two years taking the most shots, many at inappropriate times and at ridiculous odds. Loved his defense and spirit, but not a big plus for our style (which I do not like).

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT