ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball

Don't agree, had lunch with about 6 retired HS coaches last week , all coached men, my guess over 10 state championships in bunch. Someone mentioned having watched a woman's college game, turns out most had watched some, general discussion great to watch. Girls were great at fundamentals.
I don’t know, I watched parts of a couple games this year. They were played at half speed and no one’s feet left the floor. It’s very hard to watch without having a relative in the game. However, it is better than the mascot game.

Do not endorse but I do remember this poll and/or fake meme going around….

007.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK
Do not endorse but I do remember this poll and/or fake meme going around….

007.jpg
Drop the W and the percentage probably wouldn't be much different. I suspect I'm not the only person who hasn't watched an NBA game for nearly 30 years.

Reactions: mr.spider
Drop the W and the percentage probably wouldn't be much different. I suspect I'm not the only person who hasn't watched an NBA game for nearly 30 years.
With you. Not interested in NBA at all. Of course, I'm not really a sports fan at all. Just love my Spiders!

I hope UMass gets an at-large bid, over the 10th-place SEC or Big Ten team. The regular season should count for something.

Reactions: urfan1
Any chance women get an NIT bid?

20-10 record. Assume UMASS and URI go to Dance, and I think WNIT invites one team from every conference, next best record of team that doesn't get invited - so maybe that is UR?

WNIT takes 64, so very solid chance the Spiders get a bid.

One team from each conference...highest team in the regular season standings not qualified for the NCAA tournament.

And then 32 at-large bids. All at-larges must have at least a .500 overall record.

Reactions: urfan1
WNIT takes 64, so very solid chance the Spiders get a bid.

One team from each conference...highest team in the regular season standings not qualified for the NCAA tournament.

And then 32 at-large bids. All at-larges must have at least a .500 overall record.
132 of 351 in the two tournaments?

A lot of these women hoops threads devolve into women’s sports suck. It gets old.
Agreed. I joke with my daughter, who plays high school basketball, that girls basketball is boring (that never goes over well). But having had the chance to watch a lot of high school basketball the past couple of years, girls can ball. And the crowd at a good girls high school basketball game is also really fun.

Yes, it is below the rim type of play, but it is physical, it is intense, and there is a lot of skill in the girls game because they have to rely more upon skill vs. just athletic ability.

Just for fun, I looked back at last year's WNIT bids compared to the NET, and while they obviously don't just go down the NET list, pretty much everybody eligible got bids down to almost the #120 spot. #119 Loyola Chicago didn't make it but #120 Green Bay and #121 Colorado State did, and that was pretty much it. Interestingly, we were #127 last year at 16–14, so not that far out of it.

The A-10 qualified two teams for NCAA last year, as 3-seed #46 UMass won the A-10 tournament and regular season champ #43 Dayton got an at-large. As a result, the A-10 only had three teams in the WNIT: regular season runner-up #67 URI got the auto and then #72 Fordham and #91 VCU got at-larges.

Looking at this year, the A-10 is going to be a one-bid NCAA conference with SLU at 133 being a bid-stealer. UMass at 59 and URI at 73 aren't going dancing despite gaudy records, but they'll both definitely be in the WNIT. I don't know which one gets the auto since they were both 14–2 and split the head-to-head, but maybe UMass if WNIT uses same tiebreaker criteria as A-10 or goes by NET. Regardless, both are in.

So then you drop down to the next tier, which is closely bunched with us at 95, Fordham at 96, and St. Joe's at 98. I'd think all three should get in given their top 100 rankings. I know they shouldn't really be factoring in how many from a specific conference get bids, but given the overlap in schedules and close rankings, can't help but compare that group to each other.

Fordham had the best conference record at 10–6, followed by us at 8–6 and then Joe's at 9–7. Fordham only had 18 wins though while UR and Joe's got to the psychological 20-win mark. We beat Fordham in the A-10 tourney also advanced further than Joe's, so maybe that helps us too. We also closed the season strong. But again, I would be surprised if all three don't make it. Duquesne at #141 is the next A-10 team in the NET, so they won't be in the picture.

The Spiders are in the WNIT along with auto-bid UMass, Rhode Island, Fordham, and St. Joe's. Bracket will be released tomorrow.

I think the bracket is usually a little delayed...tough with a 64-team field that's partially dependent on who the NCAA takes and games not taking place at pre-determined sites, so I'm sure there's some last-minute scrambling to make sure they have all the matchups and hosts lined up.

Nothing confirmed on the UR site yet that I’ve seen but the Penn site says it’ll be on ESPN+, which is what I would expect.

Reactions: plydogg
Planning on driving down! Hope we get some people out. They deserve some support! Women's bball across the board at all schools for the most part doesn't get enough fans, so we're not alone. But it sure would be nice to show support besides that's the only basketball we have left. Always a lot of big name teams in the field too.

I can say that I have enjoyed watching women's soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball and some track and field. When the Olympics or World cup are playing and their is a rooting interest, my excitement increases. I have gotten into a women's basketball game on occasion but not often. Not that I don't watch just because they are women, but likely because I watch so much male sports and cbb, that there isn't time. And possibly because there is a 10 foot net in both men and women, the women's game seems very amateurish when the two are compared.
There are enough examples in my opinion showing men rallying around, and getting excited over a women's sporting event, as to not think our lack of constant interest has anything to do with a disrespect for women. Women's World cup is the greatest example. That event has become a part of our culture now.
I think its unfair that men seem to be solely responsible for elevating women's athletic support. Id guess 3/4 of all young girls play a sport now, but obviously they do not follow women's sports either. Place the effort and fault where it belongs, on other female athletes, imo. ( I think a comedian has a skit about this lol)

I can say that I have enjoyed watching women's soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball and some track and field. When the Olympics or World cup are playing and their is a rooting interest, my excitement increases. I have gotten into a women's basketball game on occasion but not often. Not that I don't watch just because they are women, but likely because I watch so much male sports and cbb, that there isn't time. And possibly because there is a 10 foot net in both men and women, the women's game seems very amateurish when the two are compared.
There are enough examples in my opinion showing men rallying around, and getting excited over a women's sporting event, as to not think our lack of constant interest has anything to do with a disrespect for women. Women's World cup is the greatest example. That event has become a part of our culture now.
I think its unfair that men seem to be solely responsible for elevating women's athletic support. Id guess 3/4 of all young girls play a sport now, but obviously they do not follow women's sports either. Place the effort and fault where it belongs, on other female athletes, imo. ( I think a comedian has a skit about this lol)
I only watch PAC 12 women’s volleyball

You’re right, the NBA is really struggling for fans these days. 🙄
TV ratings for the 2020 and 2021 NBA Finals were the lowest of this century; 2022 wasn't much better. None of my friends watch the NBA anymore. I suspect we are not the only ones who have tuned out.

Reactions: SpiderK
TV ratings for the 2020 and 2021 NBA Finals were the lowest of this century; 2022 wasn't much better. None of my friends watch the NBA anymore. I suspect we are not the only ones who have tuned out.

Tell me you’re old and grumpy without telling me you’re old and grumpy.

Some would argue viewership has increased.

Tell me you’re old and grumpy without telling me you’re old and grumpy.
I admit to being old (UR class of 1976). The fact I don't care for the NBA doesn't make me grumpy. I just don't like it. I don't like peas either, or green beans, or sprouts, or seafood, fruity beer, hip-hop music, Star Wars, Marvel/animated movies, VCU, Duke and the SEC, among other things.

I'm actually a pretty happy guy. I've got my health, I laugh all the time, my family is great, my siblings are still alive and kicking, our son is doing great living in a super city (Denver), our house is paid for, I've got a part-time job I love in retirement, I live in a great community in a solidly-blue state, Pika is returning to campus, and I'm far enough away from Richmond that losing basketball games doesn't drive me batshit crazy like some people who live closer and have more invested.

Not liking the NBA doesn't make one old and grumpy any more than liking the NBA makes one young and stupid.

Last edited:
I admit to being old (UR class of 1976). The fact I don't care for the NBA doesn't make me grumpy. I just don't like it. I don't like peas either, or green beans, or sprouts, or seafood, fruity beer, hip-hop music, Star Wars, Marvel/animated movies, VCU, Duke and the SEC, among other things.

I'm actually a pretty happy guy. I've got my health, I laugh all the time, my family is great, my siblings are still alive and kicking, our son is doing great living in a super city (Denver), our house is paid for, I've got a part-time job I love in retirement, I live in a great community in a solidly-blue state, Pika is returning to campus, and I'm far enough away from Richmond that losing basketball games doesn't drive me batshit crazy like some people who live closer and have more invested.

Not liking the NBA doesn't make one old and grumpy any more than liking the NBA makes one young and stupid.
Love everything except the blue state, sorry about that buddy. However, life is treating you well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT