ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball

Spiders just can't break through. Deficit bouncing between 5 and 7.

Danger zone...deficit is up to 9 and Spiders just don't seem to have any flow and are one-and-done every time down the floor except for one EKG putback. UMass has taken 10 more shots than the Spiders thanks to dominating the offensive glass battle.

Would be nice if CBSSN could put the score banner back up on screen.

Oof, Spiders scoreless over final 4:06 of the third. UMass up 55–42 heading into the fourth.

LOL, why do they bother putting up a men's bracket as it stands today? It's going to be almost totally different after today.

Spiders certainly haven't quit, but haven't been able to close the gap much. Aside from a 10-point spurt from Ullstrom in the second quarter, Budnik's really the only one who's been able to do a lot of damage. Tough game for Doogan.

Final 80–60, UMass.

Not sure if the Spiders have a WNIT shot (Viani seemed to think so), but if not, excited to see what this group can do next year. Great blend of experience with Budnik, Townsend, and Ryan along with promising frosh in Doogan and Ullstrom all coming back.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
Final 80–60, UMass.

Not sure if the Spiders have a WNIT shot (Viani seemed to think so), but if not, excited to see what this group can do next year. Great blend of experience with Budnik, Townsend, and Ryan along with promising frosh in Doogan and Ullstrom all coming back.
They lost by 20 get over it

Reactions: SpiderK
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?
No one cares about the NIT or WNIT. Winning titles in the actual tournament matter. Talking about a second tier tournament doesn’t boost anything. It’s like everyone gets a trophy. Not everyone gets a trophy.

When the team hasn't played in the postseason in 8 years, is building momentum under a new coach, and has won 7 of their last 9...yeah, I'd like to see them keep playing. No trophy required.
Not to mention, the core of the team is coming back. I little tournament experience, no matter which, can only be a plus.

Reactions: regatw
I'm not going to argue it was tight, but it was a 12-point game until the waning minutes when we had to resort to fouling as our only hope to get enough possessions to get back into it. And they got a garbage three at the end when the benches had been emptied.

Not that you care though.

I'm not going to argue it was tight, but it was a 12-point game until the waning minutes when we had to resort to fouling as our only hope to get enough possessions to get back into it. And they got a garbage three at the end when the benches had been emptied.

I do care. a garbage three at the end? Maybe actually guard someone.

rolling-eyes.gif

Reactions: regatw and plydogg

Yeah. It wasn't a 20 point game, but UMass pulled away enough from an even 1st half to get a legit double digit win. Felt like about a 10 or 12 point game.

One thing I gotta say, though, is these women have no quit in them like the men do. Rousell is a great positive influence and motivator and has a plan for the team. Steady improvement each year. He is an awesome person as well. I watched his interactions with his players, coaching staff, opposing team, and fans. He is exactly the kind of coach we want. Players respect him. Opposing players and coaches appreciate his sincere words win or lose. He always acknowledges the fans and makes a point to speak with them and appreciate them (Mooney does this too but it is even more sincere with Rousell). Who says you can't be a good representative of your school AND a great coach. Class act all around.

I set with his wife and family at the game. Wonderful family. She expressed that they are very happy at Richmond!

I am a fan of and donor to the women's program. They deserve all the nice things said about them.

But seriously, the men erased an 18-point deficit today. They held GMU scoreless for more than seven minutes. Hardly sounds like a team with "quit" in them. No point in slamming them to praise the women.

I am a fan of and donor to the women's program. They deserve all the nice things said about them.

But seriously, the men erased an 18-point deficit today. They held GMU scoreless for more than seven minutes. Hardly sounds like a team with "quit" in them. No point in slamming them to praise the women.
Who the hell cares. Both teams lost stop giving out brownie points. Winning is what we lack in both programs. Giving out excuses and saying we came back and almost won. It’s like a broken record

In both of his previous stops, year 4 was where his teams made their jumps to the top of their conferences. We didn't get that here, but can definitely see the forward momentum and who knows how COVID affected his ability to get things moving.

Obviously, I didn't see the men's game today because I was at the women's game. So, maybe there was no quit in them today, but I don't see the hustle and determination thruout the game with the men's team as I do with women's team.

Maybe, the men deserve some credit today. I don't know. Unbelievable they would suddenly show no quit in a game with 0 meaning, though.

Who the hell cares. Both teams lost stop giving out brownie points. Winning is what we lack in both programs. Giving out excuses and saying we came back and almost won. It’s like a broken record
The women are 20-10. Sounds like winning to me. But my math skills obviously aren't as good as yours. You constantly degrade the women's program. Did some woman punk you in a pickup game at the auxiliary gym?

The women are 20-10. Sounds like winning to me. But my math skills obviously aren't as good as yours. You constantly degrade the women's program. Did some woman punk you in a pickup game at the auxiliary gym?
I just degrade the athletic department. When you have a athletic director who is totally lost. I wouldn’t allow a women beat me in a pickup game. 10 losses shouldn’t be acceptable. Like losing by 20 today.

At least Rousell is not scared to use his bench and get this, play freshmen. What a great idea. He still has
a young team with all of his top 8-9 players returning. They should be top four in conference next year.

No one cares about the NIT or WNIT. Winning titles in the actual tournament matter. Talking about a second tier tournament doesn’t boost anything. It’s like everyone gets a trophy. Not everyone gets a trophy.
Whoa..this team has been bad for yrs...wnit will give them more time together with a goal of ncaas next yr!

Whoa..this team has been bad for yrs...wnit will give them more time together with a goal of ncaas next yr!
I hate to tell you but no one cares about women’s sports. The parents and coaches care but majority of America doesn’t care

I hate to tell you but no one cares about women’s sports. The parents and coaches care but majority of America doesn’t care

Wake up 06.

Try this.

Saw live with daughter and her friend as guests of President and CEO of FIFA Women’s World Cup USA

Great view from suite next to Arkansas Billy Clinton.

Sold out Rose Bowl.

Unforgettable event with lasting impressions of gritty competition

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
Don't agree, had lunch with about 6 retired HS coaches last week , all coached men, my guess over 10 state championships in bunch. Someone mentioned having watched a woman's college game, turns out most had watched some, general discussion great to watch. Girls were great at fundamentals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT