ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball

I admit to being old (UR class of 1976). The fact I don't care for the NBA doesn't make me grumpy. I just don't like it. I don't like peas either, or green beans, or sprouts, or seafood, fruity beer, hip-hop music, Star Wars, Marvel/animated movies, VCU, Duke and the SEC, among other things.

I'm actually a pretty happy guy. I've got my health, I laugh all the time, my family is great, my siblings are still alive and kicking, our son is doing great living in a super city (Denver), our house is paid for, I've got a part-time job I love in retirement, I live in a great community in a solidly-blue state, Pika is returning to campus, and I'm far enough away from Richmond that losing basketball games doesn't drive me batshit crazy like some people who live closer and have more invested.

Not liking the NBA doesn't make one old and grumpy any more than liking the NBA makes one young and stupid.
Well written but still trying to sort out not liking Star Wars.

Pretty annoyed they changed tonight’s game from ESPN+ to ESPN3. I don’t have access.

Spiders rolling though, hitting threes and taking care of the ball. 35–17 with a few minutes left in the second quarter.

Edit: 40–24 at the half. Budnik has 18.

Last edited:
Pretty annoyed they changed tonight’s game from ESPN+ to ESPN3. I don’t have access.

Spiders rolling though, hitting threes and taking care of the ball. 35–17 with a few minutes left in the second quarter.

Edit: 40–24 at the half. Budnik has 18.
There still is an ESPN3?

Best stat in the box score - only four turnovers for the entire game and two of them came fairly late. Defense was solid also, holding Penn to under 30 percent for the game.

Reactions: urfan1
We were in complete control from the tip. Started 11-0. Led by 29 with a couple minutes left in the 3rd before we started mixing in subs and coasting the rest of the way.

One of the coaches suggested a Rhode Island win would mean we would likely travel up there, whereas a Boston win should mean we get another home game.

Roussell said in postgame he kinda expects we’ll be sent to New England regardless of who we face. And told to pack for two games in case we win.

I wonder why the WNIT does 64 teams? But the men only does 32? Clearly the men would bring in more fans and money, even at an NIT level - so where do the women get the funding to have the additional teams?

Despite a similarity in names, the NIT and the WNIT are completely separate. The NCAA bought out the NIT in 2005 as part of an antitrust settlement, while the WNIT is run by a separate group.

The WNIT is a for-profit entity and programs bid to host games, so it's a bit different than the NIT and 64 teams must bring in more money for them.

URI knocks off BU, 46–40. Spiders will travel to Rhody for a Monday game at 6pm. Winner gets the winner of UMass/Harvard.

Rams shellacked the Spiders in the regular season meeting in Kingston, 75–49, but this is a much better Spider team than it was at that point in the season.

Spider athletics web site is showing that the Rhode Island game will be on ESPN3. That channel does not show up on my FIOS guide so I did some research which led me to believe I could still watch that channel. I clicked on a WBB game currently on ESPN3 with the ESPN+ site and a pop up appeared asking me to verify my provider. After doing so, I started watching the game on my computer. So I suppose - depending on your provider- you may be able to watch the game tomorrow if you jump through the proper hoops.

Having said all that, the Rhode Island game is not currently listed in the upcoming events section. Hopefully that will change.

Yeah, ESPN3 is not a TV channel, it's a streaming-only network. Various cable and internet providers have contracted to offer it to their customers, but it's not a thing you can separately sign up for. Really unfortunate that it's not just on ESPN+, but apparently whatever agreement ESPN has to carry the WNIT is putting most of the coverage on it.

Spider athletics web site is showing that the Rhode Island game will be on ESPN3. That channel does not show up on my FIOS guide so I did some research which led me to believe I could still watch that channel. I clicked on a WBB game currently on ESPN3 with the ESPN+ site and a pop up appeared asking me to verify my provider. After doing so, I started watching the game on my computer. So I suppose - depending on your provider- you may be able to watch the game tomorrow if you jump through the proper hoops.

Having said all that, the Rhode Island game is not currently listed in the upcoming events section. Hopefully that will change.
The last game, I simply went to the Women's schedule on the richmondspiders.com site and clicked on watch. I had in the past identified my provider, so maybe computer had stored the information and I was able to skip the step you mentioned above. This of course will still depend on if people's provider even carries ESPN3.

Rhode Island on 13 - 0 run to lead 32-23. Lady Spiders miss two layups during the run. 3 minutes second quarter.

Final RI 74 -64
RI 13 for 28 from three
Out rebound Spiders 42-22 of which 17 RI rebounds were offensive vs 4 for RIchmond.
Spiders miss four layups that I remember
Those stats are pretty much the difference.

Tough ending to a nice season. Hopefully NCAA next year with major contributors returning.

Final RI 74 -64
RI 13 for 28 from three
Out rebound Spiders 42-22 of which 17 RI rebounds were offensive vs 4 for RIchmond.

Tough ending to a nice season. Hopefully NCAA next year with major contributors returning.
My feed kept buffering so missed a bunch, but I think we got down by 19 and came back. Proud of their effort even if it was a loss, future is bright, I believe we only have one graduate.

Final RI 74 -64
RI 13 for 28 from three

Mooney school of rebounding.

Did not realize local product Boone was transferring out. Came in highly regarded but has been behind Townsend.

Have not noticed any others from the women's team mentioned as transferring either.

This is also news to me. There is a PG in the incoming class. From the Spider web site:

Ally Sweeney, a point guard, comes to Richmond as a four-year starter for Sparta High in Sparta, N.J. She led her squad to a State Championship in 2021 and 2022, as well as three-straight league and county championship titles. She is a three-time All-League and All-County selection and Sparta High team MVP, while twice serving as team captain.

Roussell on Sweeney: "Ally is a very gifted PG that can completely control a game and make each of her teammates better. Her decision making is on a level you don't typically see in a HS player and her shooting range is unlimited."

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT