ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball

Had Flo for football and watching game. They just said 84 degrees outside of arena.

Lead down to nine 2 minutes to go.

Last edited:
Guess just the three of us following that are on the board.
Glad you guys gave the updates. I did not think I could get anything but football but clicked on flo in the womens's schedule and it worked.
Only saw last half of 4th quarter.

Budnik did finally miss one shot that I saw. Pretty impressive game.

Final was 55 to 43 Spiders.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
The girls have been fun to watch this season. Wondering if Grace Townsend could teach Nelson a thing or two about dishing dimes

Been keeping an outside look on the girls team, but how do they look for A10 competition. Last year they finished middle of the pack at 7-9, it seems like they better this year and I was surprised to see Dayton - who won the league last year with a 14-1 league record, has started the season 0-10? What is going on there?

• Wow
Reactions: plydogg
Dayton has a new coach and lost almost everyone from last year's team. They only have 11 players on the roster and two of them are out with ACL injuries. (They also pulled out of a holiday Las Vegas tournament scheduled for earlier this week after the organizers did such a shoddy job of putting on a Thanksgiving edition. Purdue and Texas A&M also pulled out.)

As for the Spiders, think they have a good shot at moving into the upper tier this season. UMass looks decent, Fordham has played some decent teams tough, while URI has rolled up a gaudy record against cupcakes. St. Joe's has a few decent wins, and Duquesne looks okay too.

I expect the Spiders to be above .500, hopefully challenging for a top 4 spot.

Reactions: plydogg
This is an improved team with lot of potential, but high turnover rate keeps them from
being more dominant.

Last edited:
Yeah, 26 turnovers against Tarleton...yikes. Tough to win when you're -14 in turnover margin, but when you can hold the other team to 26% shooting, it works.

It's not like it's one player though, it's everyone on the team turning it over. Some of it has to do with the pace Roussell wants to play at, but they really need to clean it up. Would go a long way toward improving their prospects.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
The team can be frustrating to watch at times (turnovers being probably the biggest issue) but I think back to where it was pre-Roussell. He's got a system and recruits pretty well for that system. While there's very little discussion on the board about WBB, my view is that they are representing the school just as much as male athletes in other sports and deserve our attention as well. And the program is improving which is nice to see.

Yeah, 26 turnovers against Tarleton...yikes. Tough to win when you're -14 in turnover margin, but when you can hold the other team to 26% shooting, it works.

It's not like it's one player though, it's everyone on the team turning it over. Some of it has to do with the pace Roussell wants to play at, but they really need to clean it up. Would go a long way toward improving their prospects.
You think about 26 TOs and that is 26 shots not taken and if at least shooting 35% from the field, that is 9 goals or 18+ points we are leaving off the table. High TOs put a lot of pressure on your defense.

Team has been struggling a bit in conference play. They did win against a lesser Mason team last night. I was there. Decent crowd for a women’s game (Saturday night, cheap entertainment, lots of kids). URI is the team to beat in the conference and they lost to them by 25. Take that for what it’s worth.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
On Sunday Women beat St Joes in OT by score of 94-90 at the RC.

The Spiders crushed Davidson today, 75-44. So a successful weekend at the Robins Center.

They host St. Louis on Wednesday.

Reactions: urfan1
They’re playing well. They’ve beaten the lesser competition, and have a favorable schedule the rest of the way. Looking for a double bye.

Reactions: urfan1
Ugly game, especially the first quarter with it ending up 6–5. But the Spiders kept the defensive pressure on and Townsend is such a spark plug pushing the ball on offense. VCU couldn’t buy a bucket all night.

The women blew out a terrible Bona team in the regular season finale, 87–45. Spiders won five of their final six games to finish at 8–6 and grab the 5-seed for the A-10 tournament. They'll face the winner of #12 Dayton vs #13 VCU in the second round on Thursday. Feels odd to see both of those programs as double-digit seeds.

Last edited:
Rousell is really cooking. This is the most fun I’ve ever had watching the women’s team
Athletic Department should be advertising a trip to tourney for supporters or at minimum a viewing party here in Richmond. The elimination of the volunteer portion of Spider Club activities years ago has had negative lasting impact - less comraderie amongst supporters and isolation of AD and staff.

Reactions: plydogg and whampas
I like Roussell a lot, met him once. His A10 finishes r still 9th, 6th, 8th and 5th. Hasn't done much in 3 tries in A10 tourney either, never past the quarters. The program was not in good shape when he took over so that's part of it. Again I think he's closed the gap and I have confidence in him. next year will be a year to see if they can take another real step.

The Spiders aren't losing much this year. EKG was a one-year grad transfer who had some injury issues and a reduced role over the season but whom Roussell seems have had a very high opinion of. Burgos was always buried pretty far down the bench, and Chapman had whatever issues she had that left her out of the picture.

Next year will definitely be a big one with Townsend, Budnik, and Ryan as seniors. They all could have an extra COVID year, so next year may not necessarily be their last chances, but no idea if any are interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT