ADVERTISEMENT

We have our Offensive Coordinator(s)/QB/DL/DB coaches

I like it. Provides much needed continuity in program. Gives key assistants more responsibility & $$.

Agree that I like the approach for these guys. Glad to get them more $$$$. I worry that all of this though is still a sign that football is still losing funding from the school. I’ve heard too many rumors/rumblings about cuts to nearly every program.

I want to like this but I am skeptical. These kind of moves don’t typically seem to work out as well as hoped, but here’s hoping that this one does.
Don’t completely disagree. But in recent history for the Spiders, it’s worked well. Rod West left for App State but I think coach Wood’s defense has been a significant improvement compared to others in Huesman’s tenure.

Reactions: DTSpider
If the program is facing budget pressures, then it is worth a try. Both positions last year had to work closely together. But since BC was QB coach also, whoever takes that over must be use to fast paced , wide open system

Looks like a decision coming from ''the jabber'' (cost cut) . if we were to eliminate his salary and mooney's we could have by my calculations between 15-17 OC'S at the same time !!!

Feels like we're always hearing about budget cuts. Does it ever increase, or is each coach running on $39.95 plus whatever they find in their couch cushions at this point?

Reactions: wr70beh
I dont want to be negative, but co - coordinators will likely work just as well as co-quarterbacks. If you have two then you don't have one. I will be happy to be proven wrong, however.
Think this is a great point if we knew the details of how it all worked from a play calling perspective. My guess is one of the two will be the play caller Saturdays in the fall. With Wickersham in the wings and likely the guy, sticking with terminology from BC is a plus to me for a younger guy (who I thought played awesome in the chances he got)… After all, wasn’t Ross the “Run game coordinator” anyway this past year? Gotta think Ross has the run game plan and October has the pass game plan going into each game. To me, that’s no different from last year if one guy is calling the plays Saturdays.

I don't like it one bit. We need one offensive coordinator to have a powerful voice in play-calling and game plans. Without that the head coach becomes too involved. We also need a QB coach as a mentor and sounding board for a new starter. Give the job to October and let him have the authority to have the final say from that side of the ball to a defensive minded head coach.

And it wasn’t like these guys had a long time with Cosh learning his systems and philosophy- they spent just around a calendar year with them so not sure of the continued philosophy angle here.

When one wants to pass, and the other wants to run, who gets his way.
Are there any successful D-1 programs with two OC’s? I can’t think of one.

If the program is facing budget pressures, then it is worth a try. Both positions last year had to work closely together. But since BC was QB coach also, whoever takes that over must be use to fast paced , wide open system

If Reece or Jakob don’t make the cut in pro ball,hire them as QB coach and WR Coach,respectively.

Reactions: URTOM68
It is obvious that there was a problem with money and control the way Cosh's
move was slow to be announced. I feel he wanted to stay but negotiations fell apart.Hope this arrangement works out but hate to see it.We had a great staff with Huesman recruiting Cosh as OC and Wood as DC. What a shame if money or control was the issue. We finally got back to competing at the top and made a run in the playoffs. Wish we could get some of Mooney’s bank to fund our football coaches.🕸🕷🏈

Reactions: Eight Legger
It is obvious that there was a problem with money and control the way Cosh's
move was slow to be announced. I feel he wanted to stay but negotiations fell apart.Hope this arrangement works out but hate to see it.We had a great staff with Huesman recruiting Cosh as OC and Wood as DC. What a shame if money or control was the issue. We finally got back to competing at the top and made a run in the playoffs. Wish we could get some of Mooney’s bank to fund our football coaches.🕸🕷🏈
It would help our budget if we could sell more tickets and get fans in seats.

… “Their elevation comes as the first coaching move for the Spiders as Huesman's staff will look to fill vacant defensive tackles, cornerbacks and quarterbacks coaching positions this offseason…”

… “Their elevation comes as the first coaching move for the Spiders as Huesman's staff will look to fill vacant defensive tackles, cornerbacks and quarterbacks coaching positions this offseason…”
QB coach will be an interesting hire. Don’t know who’s even “available”. Healy is looking for a landing spot and would be interesting to have him back in the mix. Wouldn’t be shocked if Jacob Huesman lands the job either. Controversial, sure. But he was a dang good QB

While I"m generally a fan of promoting from within if there is at least one qualified candidate, I am not so much a fan of split duties. Two quarterbacks didn't work out for us all that well a few years back.

Now you hire a QB coach and you have another buy in situation. Key is the QB making reads and made sense that Cosh was OC and QB coach.

Reactions: 32counter
I certainly enjoyed the return of Championship and FCS Playoff football in 2022 as much as anyone...we had a consistently efficient and effective offense to compliment our strong defense..

I never looked at Coach Huesman as a big risk taker, but naming Coaches Ross and October Co-Offensive Coordinators and now his son as QBs coach seems pretty unconventional.

I realize coaches put family members on their staffs often, but we now have a situation where we have no proven experience at the Coordinator and QB coach positions...

Coach Huesman said when he named Ross and October Co-Cordinators that he would retain Cosh's offense. I hope Coaches Ross, October and Huesman can pull it off...

Go Spiders!

With Jacob as QB Coach, his Dad's fondness mixing in a healthy running attack from QB, Wickersham at 225 and a bruising runner from HS clips, believe will see far more QB runs next season.

Always worries me. Figure we missed the playoffs the year when Mancuso got knocked out early in VT game and missed following three (?) games I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT